BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Torn on Chapman...

Cons: Undeniably, he hasn't progressed for his advancing age and clearly has an attitude problem. I would feel happier seeing Dolan's name in the 11.

Pros: He has shown his ability this season in the first team given VERY limited chance. How much progression can you get when you don't play?! A bit of an ego is no bad thing and a refreshing change to the bland shower currently playing.

Overall, I can't help but think his failure is 99% down to Mowbray and his pig-headed refusal to play out-and-out wingers. Best of luck to him as he rebuilds his career elsewhere.

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, alcd said:

Loaning out Chapman gives more opportunity for Dolan and Butterworth who are contracted till 2022 and look better prospects. 

How can you be sure about butterworth? He played one dead rubber about 2 seasons ago and did ok.  Chapman at least has proven himself to an extent.  I'm surprised we didn't give him a bit more game time instead of certain others.

11 minutes ago, alcd said:

Loaning out Chapman gives more opportunity for Dolan and Butterworth who are contracted till 2022 and look better prospects. 

Don't think it will make much difference to Dolan. Chapman has managed just one 5 minute sub appearance in the last 17 games. It's Mowbray's strange dislike of wingers that it stopping Dolan getting opportunities.

A good move for Chapman. He has obvious ability but a questionable attitude (according to Mowbray). He seems the type to need an arm round him and a bit of faith. Hopefully he gets regular minutes and comes back to us a lot fitter and sharper. Mowbray doesn't like wingers so there's no point in Chapman hanging around Ewood. It can't have been easy watching Gally get picked ahead of him. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes you are right. No accountability at all. Gives the lad a contract, never plays him and now we are probably paying most of his wages to score or set goals up for Shrewsbury.  🥺

Like, if you put Chapman and Buckley on a 1v1 situation in training, I would guarantee Chapman would whip him 9 out of 10 times...yet Buckley gets game time....(just using Bucko as an example before anyone accuses me of victimising the little flower)

Still the right man for some on here....

To be fair, you have a track record against Buckley

• Like 2

On 29/12/2020 at 18:15, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's true.  They are interested but the fee might be a stumbler.  Talks have happened, meanwhile Mowbray handing out contracts to has-beens like confetti.

Joke

48 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A good move for Chapman. He has obvious ability but a questionable attitude (according to Mowbray). He seems the type to need an arm round him and a bit of faith. Hopefully he gets regular minutes and comes back to us a lot fitter and sharper. Mowbray doesn't like wingers so there's no point in Chapman hanging around Ewood. It can't have been easy watching Gally get picked ahead of him. 

He's out of contract at the end of the season so if he does well and finds another club he just picks up a tidy signing-on fee.

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

His fall down the leagues begins.

Won’t be the last to piss away his talent.

This is him getting his fortune told. Training at Shrewsbury will be a bit of a culture shock after Brockhall. Shape up or this is what the rest of your career has in store for you. I'm still of the opinion the Mowbray only signed him to appease his very vocal fan club. He showed very little signs of giving him a game. Never the same player after the injuries that blunted his pace and not smart enough to work out different ways of playing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Torn on Chapman...

Cons: Undeniably, he hasn't progressed for his advancing age and clearly has an attitude problem. I would feel happier seeing Dolan's name in the 11.

Pros: He has shown his ability this season in the first team given VERY limited chance. How much progression can you get when you don't play?! A bit of an ego is no bad thing and a refreshing change to the bland shower currently playing.

Overall, I can't help but think his failure is 99% down to Mowbray and his pig-headed refusal to play out-and-out wingers. Best of luck to him as he rebuilds his career elsewhere.

Chapman himself is at least 50% responsible. He has done nothing in the games he has played, looks out of shape and has very poor body language. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

The best we saw of Chapman was a few years ago. But with the way some portray him on here, you'd think he delivered those performances consistently. He didn't. He had a purple patch against poor quality teams which he hasn't been able to revive, and I'm not totally convinced his record prior to coming to Rovers was anything as special as people like to believe.

People can blame Mowbray, but that has no foundation whatsoever. Perhaps League One is about the level he was always ripe for. I think it'll do him good to go to Shrewsbury, and if he can't shine there, then it really is time to let him go.

who signed him?

6 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

The best we saw of Chapman was a few years ago. But with the way some portray him on here, you'd think he delivered those performances consistently

He does seem to have regressed, but he's also not been given a proper chance. Mowbray chose to play Gally when it was clear Gally was hopeless on the wing...and still is. 

Maybe L1 is his level, but it seems with his contract running out that's the last we'll see of him. Shame really, he has ability. 

1 hour ago, Yoogo said:

I think it was considered a low-risk and low-cost signing that would pay dividends if Chapman could reproduce the handful of performances that we saw from him in League One. I don't blame Mowbray for signing him on that basis, but I have no idea if Mowbray has "beaten the passion out of him", as some here are claiming. The latter was more my point, but each to their own.

A good manager should sign only the players he wants to use to improve his teams. Not sign financial gambles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yoogo said:

I think it was considered a low-risk and low-cost signing that would pay dividends if Chapman could reproduce the handful of performances that we saw from him in League One. I don't blame Mowbray for signing him on that basis, but I have no idea if Mowbray has "beaten the passion out of him", as some here are claiming. The latter was more my point, but each to their own.

Yep. As much as the Chapman signing is turning out to be a failure, I think it was a pretty reasonable low-risk/high-reward swing. I may be misremembering, so welcome to be corrected on the exact numbers/rumours, but I recall 'Boro were looking to sell him to us for something £1m after his initial loan spell, but we balked given he had picked up a significant injury (and questions about his commitment had already cropped up). He returned to 'Boro, where he again failed to break in, so we returned to poach him at a much lower fee (I don't think there has been a confirmed number, but FM suggests £250k 🙃). Perhaps that was influenced by constant fan clamouring for his return, but Mowbray probably thought he was a worthwhile cheap project, just not as a big(ish) ticket transfer.

While unsubstantiated rumours and speculation can be unfair, with Chapman you have to think where there's continuous smoke, there's fire... Will be interesting to see if he can tear up League One again. Commitment/attitude issues aside, his main issue is his speed seems to have dropped from a 9/10 to ~7/10 since his injuries, which is a shame. I can't recall him beating a defender in any of his senior appearances since his return...

• Like 1

On 28/12/2020 at 09:47, booth said:

I don't get the hate for Trybull, breaks up play and passes it. That's his job. Maybe if he played more, or sitting in the stands I'd see it. There are far worse players at the moment.

Douglas, Gallagher, Lenihan get in the team every week and disappoint far more, especially Douglas who hasn't put a foot right.

Was evident whennhe went off against Hudds they immediately took control of the game whilenhe was on we were in charge.

• Like 6