BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

I love the ‘just give them Bell instead’ talk. It’s not Fifa. 

Douglas is playing well and as it stands Pickering probably wouldn’t get many games unless Douglas gets injured. Clearly Pickering is being bought with a view to next season rather than now so if it secures the deal, I can accept him being loaned back. Sounds like it’ll be mutually beneficial.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Get Pickering in, get him playing in the team, time is of the essence, both in terms of potentially getting into the play offs this season as well as getting him used to the championship for next year.. 

I would even pay Bells wages for the rest of the season to be loaned to Crewe for the rest of the season if it helps seal the deal now.

That's very generous of you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Maybe I’ve been spoilt or I’m just getting older and (even) more cynical, but I can’t say I ‘love’ any of the journeymen we’ve collected this past decade. The likes of Dack will stick with me, I suppose, but the Bennett’s of the world? 

It’ls like when the club Twitter was referring to Danny Graham as a ‘club legend’ the other month, now I’ve a lot of time for DG, thought he was a good, old school centre forward that largely did the business for us, but ‘club legend’? I suppose for Warren Lucy, he was.

The context is the past decade. My 'love' for Benno comes from the fact he pulled on the same shirt as Bradley Orr et al and actually respected it. I genuinely have a lot of affection for that L1 team and the players in it. They dug us out of a massive hole, as did Mowbray. 

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead

Elliott Bennett has been a good servant for the club. He hasn’t been anywhere near our best XI for some time, but he’s always put his body on the line for the cause and grafted a lot. In terms of ability, yeah, he probably doesn’t have the most of that, tbh.

Seems a logical move for him to go nearer to where he lives and where he grew up.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

The context is the past decade. My 'love' for Benno comes from the fact he pulled on the same shirt as Bradley Orr et al and actually respected it. I genuinely have a lot of affection for that L1 team and the players in it. They dug us out of a massive hole, as did Mowbray. 

To me, that is more like :  We got our monies-worth out of him. Rather, than he is a club legend. But who doesn't like a good fist-pump. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Looks like Pickering will be strangely loaned back. But if we kept him we may aswell have a third left back rather than literally just piss the money up the wall.

Let's sign Pickering first

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

What if we got him, paid off Bell, and then Pickering and Douglas get injured/suspended?

You might think that's unlikely, but Douglas has a bit of a history and look how many injuries we are picking up this season, which may yet worsen with our awful home pitch. To look at another part of the defence, we had Williams, Ayala, Lenihan, Wharton for the two CB berths. That's 2 for each position. Then suddenly we only had Lenihan and had to put a CM in there for a few games. We would still be in that position now if the transfer window hadn't opened.

Ordinarily I'd agree that 2 for each position is fine. But in the circumstances of quick turnover of games, an injury record for one of them, 3 points off the playoffs and the fact we are paying the player anyway, surely it makes sense to keep him around, unless paying him off includes a massive saving for us?

You make a fair point but I think.we should get rid asap. 

To me legends aren't about how good they are but what they contributed to the club at the level they were. Bennett isnt a legend to me but will be positively memorable. And j believe he helped set a standard within the club. I have a lot of respect for him and to me he's not just a "thanks, and bye bye" player.

Edited by Beafo
  • Like 6

I think another centre back could make or break our promotion push. We are one injury/suspension away from trouble at CB. Even our stand in CB Johnson is injured and lacks stamina. Ayala has really struggled when he isn't fully fit which makes him a liability for those games. Kipre could be the difference between us making playoffs and crashing and burning. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

I think another centre back could make or break our promotion push. We are one injury/suspension away from trouble at CB. Even our stand in CB Johnson is injured and lacks stamina. Ayala has really struggled when he isn't fully fit which makes him a liability for those games. Kipre could be the difference between us making playoffs and crashing and burning. 

I think Sharpe has said they are deffo looking at another CB on loan.

Have to say it is time to move Bennett on, been a liability for a couple of years now. Useful early doors but we can't afford to have in the team in any position, L1 is his level now. 

People saying it's madness to loan Pickering back without the details of the deal, I imagine it's one of Crewe's terms before agreeing to the deal. Either way looks a promising young player and hopefully is a success if/when it gets done.

Does Kipre even start for us at the moment? I would suggest not, especially given his lack of game time. Don't get me wrong I'd welcome him signing permanently as we're still an injury away from disaster and he can cover at right back too but he can't just waltz in.

• Like 1