BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Would take it a step further - if he's no better than Bell or Douglas then why sign him at all?  If he is better then he should be playing for us NOW starting at QPR on Saturday.  We know all about Bell and although Douglas has had a couple of better games really, it doesn't say too much following his string of, IMO, abysmal performances for Rovers

Just hope this is another another 'Stagliakis' type signing where we were supposed to have unearthed a gem and then Mowbray found it necessary to sign Pears.....................................!

Pickering will be quality player for us

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Would take it a step further - if he's no better than Bell or Douglas then why sign him at all?  If he is better then he should be playing for us NOW starting at QPR on Saturday.  We know all about Bell and although Douglas has had a couple of better games really, it doesn't say too much following his string of, IMO, abysmal performances for Rovers

Just hope this is another another 'Stagliakis' type signing where we were supposed to have unearthed a gem and then Mowbray found it necessary to sign Pears.....................................!

We loaned him back to get the deal done.Sure other clubs with deeper pockets could have taken an interest if left until the summer.

Have never seen him play so will reserve judgement.Will say at the beginning of the January window before rovers link was made public they did a segment on league one players the efl transfer section on sky sports and they all said he was one of if not the best player outside the championship.Were tal king up Norwich as a potential destination.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Maybe Crewe insisted on keeping him for the rest of the season as part of the deal. We've got 2 LB's so we don't need to be paying the wages of a 3rd. Not sure what the problem is? We are actually planning for the future, which has been a rarity in recent times. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Maybe Crewe insisted on keeping him for the rest of the season as part of the deal. We've got 2 LB's so we don't need to be paying the wages of a 3rd. Not sure what the problem is? We are actually planning for the future, which has been a rarity in recent times. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... 

He will have have got a decent pay rise by signing for us. Crewe at the very most will be paying what they were already paying him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vilesinner said:

No, Tony sees the young city defender as right sided CB cover and RB cover.

Didn't realise about him being RB cover as well. Bit revolutionary having a defender as cover for the right back position, wonder if it will catch on? Personally quite reassured by that as hopefully means won't see Buckley or Bennet there anytime soon. 

Not a big fan of loans and would much have preferred a permenant championship defender but given our sticky tape approach to the defence it's a solid and much needed signing. 

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

And we've got a player at a very good price on a 4 year contract who apparently has a lot of potential to be worth much more in a year or two. 

It is very strange though to sign a player who we think in 6 months time will be our first choice left back and loan him back out to League 1 especially when we aren't blessed with quality at left back. I can understand say when side signs a youngster who is a way of the first team and loan him back to the club. But this makes little sense really, offer an extra £100K to get it done now or offer Bell on loan or even a permanent if they could agree terms.

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pickering will be quality player for us

You thought Taylor and Johansson were "poor defenders" so excuse me if I take that with a pinch of salt.

If Pickering is half as good as Fred I'll be happy

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It is very strange though to sign a player who we think in 6 months time will be our first choice left back and loan him back out to League 1 especially when we aren't blessed with quality at left back. I can understand say when side signs a youngster who is a way of the first team and loan him back to the club. But this makes little sense really, offer an extra £100K to get it done now or offer Bell on loan or even a permanent if they could agree terms.

Its all hypotheticals. They might not want Bell, he might not want to go there. They might not want £100k. They might not have another LB. The deal is what it is. It looks a good deal for Rovers IF he's any good. 

It makes lot of sense. 

• Like 1

Two excellent signings today.

One for the present and one for the future.

By all accounts we signed Pickering because we have allowed him to go back to Crewe.

The conversation about signing loans Vs permanent is an excellent one. I think a balance of both is what we need and I think we have it just right atm. 

Who knows what we achieve in the next few months but I still feel Tony should move on at the end of the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DE. said:

The problem with Douglas is that one of his supposedly major attributes, crossing, is wasted here as we rarely play with a target man. Would have been a lot more useful when we had Graham up front, not so much with Arma. He's also slow which causes problems in our current formation. I'm an advocate of moving away from 4-3-3 anyway, and think we absolutely have to do so for Douglas to be useful for the second half of the season. 

Our CB issue will be a big one in the summer, again. Lenihan an average Championship defender who spends a fair amount of time suspended or in the treatment room. Ayala doesn't like to play during the winter. Nyambe also struggles with fitness and is our primary RB. Williams out of contract and presumably leaving. Wharton had a good start before getting injured, but we can't get too carried away with that. He still has plenty to prove.

CB/LB have been the two areas that Mowbray has thoroughly neglected throughout his tenure here and it has caused us plenty of problems. Hopefully Pickering will be a good long-term LB option but frankly I'd never heard of him before we were linked to him, so I can't say whether he'll be any good or not. We can only hope, as I don't think we'll be spending much more than that on any defensive position. 

Bit harsh, I think. He has been pretty consistent this season on all those fronts.