BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

He addressed this in his interview yesterday. Has told THB that there’s 7 games in Feb and the current first 11 can’t play all those games so he’ll get a chance and it’s up to him to keep the shirt.

Even with fixture congestion, defence is not an area that you rotate. He should be 3rd choice until injury of or loss of form of one of the 2 who have started keeping clean sheets.

Pickering has been speaking to the club website...

“I’m over the moon and absolutely buzzing to join a massive club.

“I can’t wait to get started. Since I heard of the interest I’ve been excited by the opportunity to come to Rovers.

“As soon as I heard of the interest it was something that I really wanted to happen. It’s all come around now and I’m happy to be here.

“I spoke to the manager and he’s really excited for me to be here.

“He wants me to be a part of the journey of getting us back to where we want to be and I’m really excited by that prospect.

“It’s such a big opportunity to come to a huge club with a big history and lots of really good players.

“Coming to a Championship club, a big club such as Rovers, it’s a big step up for me.

“I’m going to take the opportunity to learn from the manager, the players, all the staff and take everything in to learn as much as possible."

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He addressed this in his interview yesterday. Has told THB that there’s 7 games in Feb and the current first 11 can’t play all those games so he’ll get a chance and it’s up to him to keep the shirt.

Yes, as it stands we now have three proper centrebacks, 2 of which are kids on loan. All of them will get games. If Ayala comes back that puts us at a serviceable 4. Really good signings by Mowbray. Means we can move forward with some confidence Nyambe can stay at RB and Johnson won't be drafted into the defence. Otherwise we would be an injury away from Nyambe at CB and Bennett at RB...

Reckon we do need to look at 3 at the back too. We need it as an option against other teams who play 3 at the back imo. The extra CB signed let's that at least be a possibility.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

Crewe boss Dave Artell on Harry Pickering: “He’s a Championship player, today has proven that, and he was last week and I truly believe he’ll go on again because his technique is excellent.

"We talk about Ashley Westwood who went to Villa and then on to Burnley and played over a hundred times in the Premier League, Pixie’s temperament, attitude and technique is as good, if not better than Westy’s.

"I have no doubt that Blackburn are going to get a very good player, he’s going to develop over the next couple of years and go on. If he develops at Blackburn like he has at this football club then I can’t see him not ending up at the very top.”

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why was Ben Davies just down the road at Preston on no one's radar? At £2m he seems a snip for Liverpool

Lawrenson rates him as Championship player but has doubts about him in the Prem

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55891068

He was on plenty of clubs radar, Burnley being one, do keep up.

32 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

how is mowbray going to accomodate harwood-bellis??will he do the unthinkable and drop lenihan??,both the loan boys are most likely here because their clubs stated they need game time and thats why they were loaned to us,risky to put two teenagers at centre back imo,looking forward to mowbrays tactical conundrum on this one

TM was asked this by LT, worth looking up his answer.

22 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You don't rotate your back line especially when you have finally found some much needed stability back there.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

All true but it was Mowbrays vision on setting up the scouting / recruitment networks. It’s the fruits of their labour but the failure AND success must fall on his head.

However, the deals for Elliott, THB and JB are very much driven by the manager and his growing reputation (rightly or wrongly) as someone who develops young players. 

We can’t have it both ways mate. He’s either 100% responsible, or he’s not.

Not a question of having it both ways it's more a case of sharing the credit where it should be shared.

He's done well convincing the owners to back the setting up of that dept. Hardly rocket science in suggesting a club the size of ours should have one though. And don't forget the recent talk of recruitment going over his head on a player when he wanted someone else.

No idea if that might be the case so best to share the plaudits for now and keep everyone happy.

14 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

That's true if we didn't have seven games in Feb....

Playing mid-week and Saturday is what this division is ala bout. It's what players are expected to be able to play. Why doesn't Mowbray think ours can?

Finding a defence that defends has been Mowbray's achilles heel here (and he's not our first manager to struggle in that regard) and once you've found one, you don't change it, if you can avoid it.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I'm sure he plays his part in it but he himself credits the recruitment dept with a lot of decent recent incomings.

So we should be aiming praise in that direction really and save the TM praise for when he makes a good team out of them.  That's his main job in it all now.

The owners also deserve credit ( through gritted teeth from me ) for providing this manager with incredible backing considering the zero income. Now they should stop peeing around, over complicating things and just have a real go at it.

Nothing whatsoever to lose and no excuse whatsoever for playing safety first disjointed going nowhere stuff. Get after teams !

True, but you could look at it another way and say TM was the one who pushed for a proper recruitment department which had been dismantled previously. That recruitment department has then gone onto pick up gems like Kaminiski. I would hazard a very strong guess that the first time TM had ever seen TK play was on his first day of training at Rovers. 

The change in the style of football has also meant the top clubs feel their best young players will be schooled in the right way here, hence the quality of loans. 

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

True, but you could look at it another way and say TM was the one who pushed for a proper recruitment department which had been dismantled previously. That recruitment department has then gone onto pick up gems like Kaminiski. I would hazard a very strong guess that the first time TM had ever seen TK play was on his first day of training at Rovers. 

The change in the style of football has also meant the top clubs feel their best young players will be schooled in the right way here, hence the quality of loans. 

I think they are going for maybe a total stats based approach now. And obviously the top quality young players are usually the ones with the best stats so a penny has finally dropped - get quality.

Sadly we can only afford to borrow them but my god it makes a great refreshing change to giving the Wards and Caddis's of this world ten grand a week 2 year deals.

This recruitment dept needs full and continued backing it's obviously got its finger on the pulse.

Hopefully a good younger striker is flagged up in summer although i hope they didn't have their name on the Brereton one !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We shouldnt be considering dropping Lenihan who has been probably our best player in the last month, or coming up with a new formation to fit in 2 loanees. If Mowbray feels like he has to go out of his way to give the 2 young lads regular game time, then the deals are not to our advantage. Lenihan and Branthwaite have the shirts, Bellis should wait until injury/drop of form.

That is how it should work. But in Tonys world will it.

• Like 1