BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City v Rovers (a) Sat. 19th Dec. 3pm

51 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he can't win the ball where he is, I don't see how he can against centre halves. I would love if he could 

Gallagher is a plodder. Very one dimensional in his style of play. More often than not his first touch is poor and he loses the ball. Rarely wins aerial challenges either despite being 6 foot 4 inches. Never worth £5M. A poor signing by Mowbray

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely shouldnt play wide but even central which he has played numerous times mainly last season, he was ineffective more often than not.

How often did he play as the 9 in the team? 

He played up front against Preston away, Bristol City away and Stoke away where he scores 3 goals and performed in their games 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How often did he play as the 9 in the team? 

He played up front against Preston away, Bristol City away and Stoke away where he scores 3 goals and performed in their games 

He scored 2 in those games, one at Preston and one at Stoke which was off the bench. There were plenty of games especially in the first half of the season before Armstrong was considered a central player that Gallagher played there and was ineffective more often than not. I presume as someone who is adamant that Armstrong is a number 9 and understandably so, that you also see Gallagher as a back up in that position, unless you see something in him playing wide that only Mowbray does.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He scored 2 in those games, one at Preston and one at Stoke which was off the bench. There were plenty of games especially in the first half of the season before Armstrong was considered a central player that Gallagher played there and was ineffective more often than not. I presume as someone who is adamant that Armstrong is a number 9 and understandably so, that you also see Gallagher as a back up in that position, unless you see something in him playing wide that only Mowbray does.

For me, Armstrong is a 9 for me. Hes a goalscorer and striker..always has been. Can play and do a job wide/inside forward but never his natural role. Unlike we seen with Brereton who is much more suited to that role. 

Gallagher is a striker by trade. He has the odd game wide where he is good like Brentford away just recently where Simon Garner gave him a rave review. But he should be striker. 

• Like 1

Gallagher can score goals if he is played as a number 9 and given the service.

Reason we signed is because he did so well for us in his loan spell. 

Watch this clip for a reminder:

TM is simply not getting the best out of him. It wouldn't hurt to let him play as the number 9 even if it is off the bench for the last 30 mins in a game.

• Like 2

Talk about formations, personnel, injuries is fairly superfluous really. We'll always underperform no matter who's available or who plays where whilst this manager is in charge.

Until we get a manager who is more tactically astute and/or demands more from them in terms of performance we're going nowhere. The players know that Mowbray won't be that upset if they don't perform that well hence there is no desire, killer instinct, urgency, or will to win. The only imperative is that is if it looks like we're going to drop into trouble at the wrong end of the table they have to pull their finger out for a couple of weeks or so until we're back in the comfort zone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did so well for us in his loan spell? He did ok, nothing more really. Definitely should only be considered central as second choice to Armstrong but I think his first spell here is overplayed.

Not watched the clip but my impression is he has bulked up and lost his athleticism and mobility since his first spell. In terms of ability he looked like an ordinary perennial 5-10 goal a season player I thought. Certainly never worth £5m in a month of Sundays.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did so well for us in his loan spell? He did ok, nothing more really. Definitely should only be considered central as second choice to Armstrong but I think his first spell here is overplayed.

12 goals on a relegated side was it? Fairly decent. Amd those goals show he has potential to be a seccrssful striker  Playing him on the wing has destroyed his confidence. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Talk about formations, personnel, injuries is fairly superfluous really. We'll always underperform no matter who's available or who plays where whilst this manager is in charge.

Exactly. I see people are still pinning their hopes on Dack and Travis turning the season around when they return. As you quite rightly point out, it will make very little difference in the long run. We will still do just enough to be comfortable in mid table.

52 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not watched the clip but my impression is he has bulked up and lost his athleticism and mobility since his first spell. In terms of ability he looked like an ordinary perennial 5-10 goal a season player I thought. Certainly never worth £5m in a month of Sundays.

Blimey Rev you are being a bit confident with setting the upper limit to 10 goals! (Agree with your valuation of him mind.)

He only really scores when central which he gets to do when either he plays centre forward (when on the bench) or when he can massively drift inside when we are battering someone and keeping a position doesn't matter. Neither happens that often and there are £5 million reasons why he will be stuck on the wing and lucky to get over 5 goals a season for us. 

Incidentally Ben is showing what it looks like to not get too many goals but still contribute more than goals (never thought I would write this!) Carries the ball forward, creates space, gets the odd assist and draws fouls - the guy is enriching the team. (I really never thought I would say that.) Gallagher does none of those things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

Gallagher can score goals if he is played as a number 9 and given the service.

Reason we signed is because he did so well for us in his loan spell. 

Watch this clip for a reminder:

TM is simply not getting the best out of him. It wouldn't hurt to let him play as the number 9 even if it is off the bench for the last 30 mins in a game.

Looked like he was playing with a smile on his face back then as well. He never looks happy now even when he scores.

I just don’t understand why TM doesn’t try changing it around now and then and move him central and Arma out wide. Elliott is playing out wide but he has no problems scoring right now. 

4 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Monumentally crap defending. Nyambe nowhere near his man for the throw and Rothwell, who is supposedly marking the scorer, isn’t watching either the ball or the man! He wouldn’t have beaten him in the air but should’ve impeded the run.

0A46588C-01B7-4C24-9960-7B034BA7DADE.jpeg

The worst thing about Nyambe is undoubtedly his marking. We’ve been in trouble many times this season and previous seasons due to Nyambe being in no mans land and leaving his player unmarked.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 03:11, ben_the_beast said:

Stoke arent playing their way to getting promoted. They were as dire as is but just in a completely different way

No, they really weren't. They scored early and shut up shop, happy to take the three points.

Good performance from them, a simple home victory. Wish we had some of those to look forward to... 

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Monumentally crap defending. Nyambe nowhere near his man for the throw and Rothwell, who is supposedly marking the scorer, isn’t watching either the ball or the man! He wouldn’t have beaten him in the air but should’ve impeded the run.

0A46588C-01B7-4C24-9960-7B034BA7DADE.jpeg

Begs the question why was he marking him? A complete and utter shambles all round...but a shrug of the shoulders from Tony and on we go. 

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

I think anyone who would compare TMs impact with Steve Keans either doesn’t remember history or is simply a dingle on the wind up

I think the point that if you are refusing yourself and others an opinion on the principle that the manager has been a professional for many years then surely Kean would fall into the same category is a very fair one.

Making such a point was clearly purely to provoke and wind up otherwise they wouldnt have seeked out a fan opinion forum to make it if their mindset was so black and white.

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the point that if you are refusing yourself and others an opinion on the principle that the manager has been a professional for many years then surely Kean would fall into the same category is a very fair one.

Making such a point was clearly purely to provoke and wind up otherwise they wouldnt have seeked out a fan opinion forum to make it if their mindset was so black and white.

Tony Mowbray was a player of a decent standard and has been a coach, assistant and manager at a high level.

The comparison of experience for experience sake is just silly. I’m quite sure the original reference was in respect to being a highly respected manager for several years.

Using Kean, should be saved for idioms or metaphors for dodgy or crooked behaviour in my opinion.

The two men (never mind management ability) are diametrically opposed, in any way you can think, results, decisions, tactics, motivating, experience, personality, culpability, honesty etc 

Im not ashamed to say his name presses certain “buttons” when brought up because it was the most soul destroying time as a football fan as I can ever remember.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Tony Mowbray was a player of a decent standard and has been a coach, assistant and manager at a high level.

The comparison of experience for experience sake is just silly. I’m quite sure the original reference was in respect to being a highly respected manager for several years.

Using Kean, should be saved for idioms or metaphors for dodgy or crooked behaviour in my opinion.

The two men (never mind management ability) are diametrically opposed, in any way you can think, results, decisions, tactics, motivating, experience, personality, culpability, honesty etc 

Im not ashamed to say his name presses certain “buttons” when brought up because it was the most soul destroying time as a football fan as I can ever remember.

Of course, they are incomparable undoubtedly. Kean is in a word of his own in regards to both competence and integrity. It just doesnt sit right with me that anyone, either self inflicted upon themselves or especially trying to quash other peoples opinions based on the notion that Mowbray is a professional and we arent. To use a less corrupt example, Coyle was a professional but should we have reserved opinion on his ineptitude?

No one on here in their right minds thinks they are credible options to become the next Rovers manager, but there is no need to sanitise anyone's right to have an opinion, and to share those on here. Mowbray is a professional and there are most aspects to his role that no one on here could possibly do. But he still will make mistakes, he will do things that we dont agree with and he is in a position whereby he is in a position to receive criticism which he will accept I am sure. Even those who want to change managers would want to put in a more suitable (in their mind, at this point in time) professional.

• Like 1

My two pennies worth is that I like Gallagher. Like all players theres improvement to be made but he has a real drive and energy i like.

I think he is a confidence player. I bumped into him at Ewood after a match and said that I thought he'd played really well. He beamed like it meant so much to hear that and he thanked me. He looked really made up.

He's going to get goals if we play him in the right positions and feed him. Reading negative stuff on social media does I suspect affect him badly. Maybe thats why the other players were so protective of him after the newspaper article.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

My two pennies worth is that I like Gallagher.  

He beamed like it meant so much to hear that and he thanked me. He looked really made up.

No room for emotions mate, I'm sure he's a nice chap.  The return over the last 2 years isn't good enough.  His technical ability is something that won't come to him now at his age.  His decision making playing with Elliot, Rothwell etc isn't up to it and he regularly goes down blind alleys hoping his dolloping big frame will somehow get him past a defender.....

He would be great in League 1 or 2 but if we want to go higher we need better.  When Dack is fit, Gallagher won't play I'd expect 

• Like 1