BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football Terminology

Not sure if anyone saw Stan Collymores tweet the other day. Firstly, what do people think of the sudden clutch of random new terminology that seems to have made its way into football, unnecessary hipster nonsense, or is Stan Collymore the one stuck in the past?

Also, is there any other football termonology that raises eyebrows everytime you hear it?

Screenshot_20210401-103715_Twitter.jpg

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure if anyone saw Stan Collymores tweet the other day. Firstly, what do people think of the sudden clutch of random new terminology that seems to have made its way into football, unnecessary hipster nonsense, or is Stan Collymore the one stuck in the past?

Also, is there any other football termonology that raises eyebrows everytime you hear it?

Blackburn Rovers manager, Tony Mowbray.

• Like 2

2No of my pet hates in addition to those already mentioned, with meanings:

False 9 - midfielder playing where your striker should be & your striker anywhere except where he should be!

Inverted wingers - wingers on the wrong wing

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Read in a few places that Man Utd lost on Wednesday because Villarreal implemented this seemingly innovative new approach called ‘the low block’. What is this revolutionary tactic , I wondered...

’ The low block is a defensive system where the players defend very deep in their own territory and restrict the space for opposition players to exploit.

Oh I see, it’s actually the age old ‘get every man behind the ball’, ‘two banks of four’, etc etc.

Snake oil salesman regurgitating  us stuff we’ve seen time and again - helps Michael Cox/Jonathan Wilson et al flog a load of books though 😒

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Snake oil salesman regurgitating  us stuff we’ve seen time and again - helps Michael Cox/Jonathan Wilson et al flog a load of books though 😒

Robbie Savage on commentary sounded like he’d swallowed one of those books - “Pogba is playing as a number 6 as part of a double pivot.”

He’s playing as a sitting/defensive midfielder then....?

• Like 2

So playing deep is now the 'low block' , i wonder what they'll call two banks of 4 these days ?

Globalization to blame for all this pointless shit and the need to put technical spin on shite games to try and pacify TV audiences.

Managers over complicating things playing chess on the pitch resulting in teams cancelling each other out and an awful spectacle for fans. Hey tho, a points a point and it keeps people in jobs, nothing new or radical about it though it's just a game of football.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Read in a few places that Man Utd lost on Wednesday because Villarreal implemented this seemingly innovative new approach called ‘the low block’. What is this revolutionary tactic , I wondered...

’ The low block is a defensive system where the players defend very deep in their own territory and restrict the space for opposition players to exploit.

Oh I see, it’s actually the age old ‘get every man behind the ball’, ‘two banks of four’, etc etc.

Even in the Blackburn Combination in the 70s and 80s, if your opponents had a couple of nippy strikers or wingers (ask yer dad kids) you knew that you defended deeper so they couldn’t get a run on you.

It’s hardly rocket science but these W️s think they invented it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Even in the Blackburn Combination in the 70s and 80s, if your opponents had a couple of nippy strikers or wingers (ask yer dad kids) you knew that you defended deeper so they couldn’t get a run on you.

It’s hardly rocket science but these W️s think they invented it. 

It's the beauty of having defenders who can actually defend.

• Like 1

Isn't this type of thing just going along with this crazy time in the world in general.  Just inventing things to push new narratives because they want to move away from the old ones ?

Don't know how to though because basically you cant as it's still the same ! 

So a bit like re-writing history just to suit the attempted reset they just alter a few things because this era allows that. Then it quickly becomes fact and things couldn't exist as they are without it. Some think football was invented in 1992, future generations will think it was invented in 2021.

• Like 5

I must be getting old as I'm with Collymore.

Low block is particularly annoying. It's sitting deep, packing it in, parking the bus, giving them the halfway line. 

False 9 used to be deep lying centre forward. 

Number 8 - box to box midfielder. 

6  - holding midfielder. 

I don't know if it's American specific but my son is always told to connect his passes.

• Like 1

Football clubs always used to be referred to in a plural sense rather than in a singular one.

- Blackburn Rovers ARE situated in Lancashire

- THEY are one of the oldest clubs in the league

- WE are the most successful town club in England

Not sure if it’s because of foreign players or managers who, in their own language, refer to clubs as is/it etc. but a recent trend has been for increasing instances of references to clubs in the singular.

- Blackburn Rovers IS situated in Lancashire

- It is one of the oldest clubs in the league

- It is the most successful town club in England

I notice these things 🙂 

• Like 3

On 02/04/2021 at 12:34, roversfan99 said:

They look like Americanisms to me .......... to be resisted at all costs

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Football clubs always used to be referred to in a plural sense rather than in a singular one.

- Blackburn Rovers ARE situated in Lancashire

- THEY are one of the oldest clubs in the league

- WE are the most successful town club in England

Not sure if it’s because of foreign players or managers who, in their own language, refer to clubs as is/it etc. but a recent trend has been for increasing instances of references to clubs in the singular.

- Blackburn Rovers IS situated in Lancashire

- It is one of the oldest clubs in the league

- It is the most successful town club in England

I notice these things 🙂 

I notice them too

Funnily enough, the Times style guide says football clubs are always singular and teams plural, which I've always adhered to

Had a "robust" conversation with a US friend recently who insisted it was the other way round