BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) 14/8/21

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, it was a miserable watch and I remember Shittu easily headering the ball out all game. Who was upfront that game? 

Best and I'm assuming Rhodes. No idea why but I watched the 'highlights' of that game not too long ago and was amazed to see Best had one cleared off the line after some decent play from him, didn't remember it at all. To be fair I like to try and forget that game, it's always what springs to mind when I think of the worst game I've ever seen.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, yankfan said:

2 matches in and we’ve been poor in the build up, squandered most of our chances, have been disorganized through the midfield, and outside of the high pressure against Swans, poor defensively. Provided Millwall don’t pass it to us in their third 15-20 times I don’t see us coming away with anything. 1-3 Millwall with Diaz getting our loan goal. 

Things are worse than even I thought.

Our goals scored are just on loan.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

For anyone driving the M6 southbound is closed and might not open again until sometime in the morning.

Should be sorted before anyone sets off but you never know so something to check on.

Where abouts is it shut ?

On 11/08/2021 at 15:23, MarkBRFC said:

Buckley for me had one of his best games in a Rovers shirt in the away game against Milwall last season, not sure if there midfield has changed much since then.

I also disagree that he's not ready to start every game yet, for me he has to play week in week out now so he can get his career going and to see whether he is going to be a big asset for us going forward, he's spent the last two seasons in and out of the side so he should be ready to go now and cement his place as one of our key players..

He was dirt last year against Millwall, gave it away countless times and got caught on the ball numerous times. He was standout bad. Hope he can up his game this season.

4 hours ago, frosty said:

Best and I'm assuming Rhodes. No idea why but I watched the 'highlights' of that game not too long ago and was amazed to see Best had one cleared off the line after some decent play from him, didn't remember it at all. To be fair I like to try and forget that game, it's always what springs to mind when I think of the worst game I've ever seen.

Best. My god. That guy. He actually played for Ireland, would you believe that? 7 caps. 

• Like 1

The Millwall [A] game that I remember best was in, I think, the 76/77 season.

I'd gone down to London with a fellow season ticket-holder; a mutual colleague of Leonard Venkhater's and mine.

We were spending the weekend with my mate's eldest brother who lived south east of Millwall, and was as passionate about Rovers as we were - his office wall was festooned with press cuttings, team photographs, etc.

Anyway, we drove as near to the ground as possible; parked up and remained as schtum as possible; it was well before EastEnders, so we couldn't 'do the accent' very well.

Until we got back into the elder brother's VW after the game, locked the doors and set off back home with a 0-1 win in our pockets and then cheered!

We were on an un-segregated terrace - they were, in those days - and none of the home fans could tell from our behaviour or, from our blue and white scarves, either before we scored - just after half an hour, from memory - or for the remainder of the game, which team we followed.

The following Monday, BBC1's Panorama did a feature on 'Football Hooliganism', majoring on the match we'd been at. Mainly because of Millwall's fans' reputations.

After that trip down memory lane, I'm hoping for a similar result tomorrow with our 'back five' holding out for a similar result with 45 years ago. 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, m1st said:

I'd gone down to London with a fellow season ticket-holder; a mutual colleague of Leonard Venkhater's and mine.

We were spending the weekend with my mate's eldest brother who lived south east of Millwall, and was as passionate about Rovers as we were - his office wall was festooned with press cuttings, team photographs, etc.

Anyway, we drove as near to the ground as possible; parked up and remained as schtum as possible; it was well before EastEnders, so we couldn't 'do the accent' very well.

Until we got back into the elder brother's VW after the game, locked the doors and set off back home with a 0-1 win in our pockets and then cheered! 

We were on an un-segregated terrace - they were, in those days - and none of the home fans could tell from our behaviour or, from our blue and white scarves, either before we scored - just after half an hour, from memory - or for the remainder of the game, which team we followed.

The following Monday, BBC1's Panorama did a feature on 'Football Hooliganism', majoring on the match we'd been at. Mainly because of Millwall's fans' reputations.

After that trip down memory lane, I'm hoping for a similar result tomorrow with our 'back five' holding out for a similar result with 45 years ago. 🤞🤞🤞

I was at that game, It was scarey walking to the tube on my own after the game. Mind you the streets of Mill Hill were similar in those days 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, m1st said:

13 minutes in when Rovers arrive ...the lad that got attacked is from Accy ....Clive ..a top bloke.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, HowieFive0 said:

13 minutes in when Rovers arrive ...the lad that got attacked is from Accy ....Clive ..a top bloke.

Aye, when I had hair, he was my go to guy!

• Like 1

Lad who supports Millwall who we spoke to tonight says he's not going tomorrow in fear of being attacked. He's been receiving threats on his life online by fellow Millwall supporters after speaking out publicly against the Millwall fans booing of the knee-taking before matches. How sad. 

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Lad who supports Millwall who we spoke to tonight says he's not going tomorrow in fear of being attacked. He's been receiving threats on his life online by fellow Millwall supporters after speaking out publicly against the Millwall fans booing of the knee-taking before matches. How sad. 

They are literally and by some way, the worst bunch of scum out of all the supporters in English football. I don't have any personal experiences with them, unlike the Mancs in particular, but just reading their forums shows you exactly what they're about.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gav said:

A slight digress, but I believe I can beat that one JH.

King rat 2011 away at Cardiff, dropped several first team players in the QF of the cup and we lost 0-2.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/dec/01/blackburn-steve-kean-forfeit-claim

Disgraceful, a lying swine.

"He claims his use of the word forfeit was taken out of context" - 🤬

He didn't forfeit the game one tiny bit. We lost pathetically and he came out with the "forfeit" bs in an attempt to pretend that it wasn't a pathetic capitulation but instead somehow planned. As if it wasn't a big deal as it was planned that way and so he shouldn't get any flak over it.

Pathetic attempt to deflect criticism that was so inept that it ended up being an ever bigger embarrassment than the loss itself.

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

That was a shocker too. But at least that was the League Cup so we had to get through a 2 legged semi before getting to Wembley. Cardiff went on to the final and lost narrowly to Liverpool. The Millwall one we had done the hard part - been to Arsenal and knocked them out at the Emirates, drawn a mid table Championship club in the Quarters, went to a packed Den, were played off the park yet held on for a 0-0 to take them back to Ewood and then put in an even worse display and the tactical approach was to launch it long and try to beat Danny Shittu in the air.

We'd have been off to Wembley playing Wigan in the Semis.

Best chance of getting to the FA Cup final in my time of supporting Rovers. It was probably the last nail in the coffin of Appleton at Rovers.

Another shocker I remember is losing at home to Brentford in the cup in the late eighties. It's now over 60 years since we've been in an FA Cup final. The cup that made our name! The vast majority of Rovers fans have never seen in us play in one. I'd probably enjoy it more than even a promotion, just because I (and most of us) have been waiting so long for that special day out. If ever we do hear "Abide with Me" rolling out before kick-off one sunny May day at Wembley, the hairs will be standing up on the back of our necks.

To sleep, perchance to dream as Shakespeare had it...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Best chance of getting to the FA Cup final in my time of supporting Rovers. It was probably the last nail in the coffin of Appleton at Rovers.

Another shocker I remember is losing at home to Brentford in the cup in the late eighties. It's now over 60 years since we've been in an FA Cup final. The cup that made our name! The vast majority of Rovers fans have never seen in us play in one. I'd probably enjoy it more than even a promotion, just because I (and most of us) have been waiting so long for that special day out. If ever we do hear "Abide with Me" rolling out before kick-off one sunny May day at Wembley, the hairs will be standing up on the back of our necks.

To sleep, perchance to dream as Shakespeare had it...

I would say our best chance of getting to the FA cup final,in my Rovers supporting lifetime, was Pedersons header against Chelsea at Old Trafford. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I would say our best chance of getting to the FA cup final,in my lifetime, was Pedersons header against Chelsea at Old Trafford. 

I was 8 in 1960, my Dad went. I didn't.

I was at OT and still have nightmares involving that miss.

I will never see us live in a FA Cup Final nor have any hopes of such.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I was 8 in 1960, my Dad went. I didn't.

I was at OT and still have nightmares involving that miss.

I will never see us live in a FA Cup Final nor have any hopes of such.

I still have hopes of an FA cup final appearance, but they are very faint, and growng dimmer. Thank christ for memories.

• Like 2