BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Southgate boring everyone further in the international break with 2 holding midfielders in front of a back 5 against Albania.

Aint you saying on another thread it doesnt matter what way a manager sets his team up its about the result.

A world cup semi and Euro final would suggest results havent been bad

• Like 5

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Southgate boring everyone further in the international break with 2 holding midfielders in front of a back 5 against Albania.

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

I think i'll give it a miss looking at that formation.

These didn’t last well lads 😉🍻

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Aint you saying on another thread it doesnt matter what way a manager sets his team up its about the result.

A world cup semi and Euro final would suggest results havent been bad

I never said or implied otherwise in the post you quoted, nor have I ever.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But 4 nil up after 33 minutes. Not bad for boring 🤔

I think me and you could beat Albania but it has been very good.

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the mighty albania scaring southgate witless!!!!!,call me old school but should`nt you pick most of your best players,if you can`t find a system to accomodate them you should`nt be managing the national side,he`s got a hell of a lot of talent available to him at the moment,the best squad since 2002,terry,ferdinand,lampard  etc,he should be using them in an attacking system

Southgate has proven conclusively that he should be managing the national side.

• Like 6

Why did the Albanian who did the bicycle kick attempt to score get booked? Ok, he kicked one defender head whilst another defender head crashed against the previous head.

If the answer is because raising a boot to head height is dangerous play, then every goal scored by a bicycle kick should be chalked off and the player should be booked.

This has been a conundrum for me for a long time because a player who attempts the bicycle kick has no idea if a defender's head is going to be there or not.

• Like 1

I never said or implied otherwise in the post you quoted, nor have I ever.

You used the word boring, you have pulled chaddy up a load of times when he has referred to Houghton and Mcarthy as boring.

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

You used the word boring, you have pulled chaddy up a load of times when he has referred to Houghton and Mcarthy as boring.

Football being boring or not is totally subjective, tonight England got the result and had the performance. All I did was make a throwaway comment about what I (wrongly) perceived and predicted to be an overly cautious lineup within the international break which is always boring anyway, watching England thrash crap teams.

Those 2 managers deserved to be sacked because of poor results, not "boring" football. And I have never said or implied that Southgate needs to be sacked because of boring football so your comparison is not a valid one anyway.

Unsure why you seem keen to quote and question every post I make at the moment by the way.

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Albania beat Hungary home and away 

Hungary are crap too. England are comfortably better than both.

• Like 3

Do you lot actually take a blind bit of notice of qualifiers?

The proliferation of new sovereign nations across Europe post Cold War means that England usually have little bother (Wally with the Brolly aside) as they are always top seeds and share groups with a load of middling, generally poor and part time sides - case in point this group has Andorra and San Marino in it! What is anybody learning from spanking sides like Albania 5-0, or comfortable wins against a Montenegro or Lithuania?

A long way from the 70s, 80s and 90s in which it really was touch and go most qualifying campaigns.

It’s behind why the FA try and arrange high profile friendlies, UEFA have set up the Nations League, indeed it’s probably a reason why we always struggled to get to grips with tournaments as we just weren’t used to competitive games (a reason, not the main one!). 

Edited by Mattyblue

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why did you complain over the team selection before the game?

The formation worked perfectly and Wing backs of James and Chilwell played the same way as they do for their club team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Do you lot actually take a blind bit of notice of qualifiers?

Not really as most England's qualifiers as us again less quality nations. 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Football being boring or not is totally subjective,

Do you not prefer a open game where both teams are trying to win the game like West ham Liverpool game

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Those 2 managers deserved to be sacked because of poor results, not "boring" football

Had those managers tried to play abit more attacking or a different formation in Hughton case maybe they got better results and kept their jobs. 

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

I think it was about 2006 onwards when qualifiers became a joke. Prior to that we were always in a group with a top side. 2002 zee Germans, 98 Italians, my memory failing me at this point but think 94 was Holland.

That was down to seedings.  We were second seeds in those days. Constantly qualifying for tournaments has put as top seeds hence the moderate draws

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why did you complain over the team selection before the game?

The formation worked perfectly and Wing backs of James and Chilwell played the same way as they do for their club team. 

Because I was commenting (and not alone in doing so) on what I perceived to be an overly cautious line up against poor opposition, and reverting back to a formation that I am less keen on compared to one that gets 4 attacking players in it, especially as England have such an array of talent in that area at the moment.

I do think that we would have battered a very naive, high pressing and poor quality Albanian side regardless of formation but still, I have acknowledged that I was incorrect so I am unsure why you are so desperate to go over it.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not really as most England's qualifiers as us again less quality nations. 

Do you not prefer a open game where both teams are trying to win the game like West ham Liverpool game

Had those managers tried to play abit more attacking or a different formation in Hughton case maybe they got better results and kept their jobs. 

As a neutral obviously but that is a totally different question.

When watching Rovers (and England) my concern is the result. That doesn't mean that I cannot comment if it is boring but my main focus is the result, how we get there is not the issue.

• Like 2

Because I was commenting (and not alone in doing so) on what I perceived to be an overly cautious line up against poor opposition, and reverting back to a formation that I am less keen on compared to one that gets 4 attacking players in it, especially as England have such an array of talent in that area at the moment.

You do seem very judgement and quick to jump. 

When I looked at the team I see 5 attacking players cos their wing backs are attacking and playing in their club positions. Philips and Henderson kept pressing their players and winning the ball back high. 

Can I ask how you who you would select and formation please?

I do think that we would have battered a very naive, high pressing and poor quality Albanian side regardless of formation but still,

Well we never know will we but we know the team Southgate picked battered them

I have acknowledged that I was incorrect so I am unsure why you are so desperate to go over it.

I was asking your reasons why you make such a comment. I didn't see the team or the first 20 mins cos I was watching F1 qualifying instead. 

When watching Rovers (and England) my concern is the result. That doesn't mean that I cannot comment if it is boring but my main focus is the result, how we get there is not the issue.

Correct but I want Rovers to play their best and give there all plus play to proper plan(not this false 9 rubbish). 

My point about those managers if they tried to play more attacking football and Hughton lack of plan B they might have got a better result and still be in job. 

As a neutral obviously but that is a totally different question.

I was meaning of a neutral of watching a game.