BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

indeed it’s probably a reason why we always struggled to get to grips with tournaments as we just weren’t used to competitive games

Spain Germany Italy and France are all in the same boat

Edited by RoverDom
Edit: indeed anyone who has won the Euros is in the same boat

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I ask how you who you would select and formation please?

In general? Definitely 4 at the back, and 100% with Phil Foden in the team, he is the player miles above the rest of our (talented) attacking midfielders. The question is where do you play him because he is so good in so many position, but I like him further forward because he tends to score and assist so much.

We are in a bit of a strange situation with many of our attacking players out of form at the moment, Grealish I think has yet to convince that he can be as effective without being the big fish in a small pond having not yet ever replicated his Villa form, Mount needs to do more in the final third for me, Sterling has been anonymous at club level for about 18 months, Rashford is only just back from injury and didn't seem to want to be part of the squad as is the case with Greenwood, Sancho is rotting under Solskjaer (as much as I love him ruining United, it is negatively effecting many England players too) and Saka and Smith Rowe are really coming to the surface now at Arenal.

Happy with 4231 but I do wonder if a slightly more flexible 433 would allow us better control over games and perhaps to get Bellingham in. Connor Gallagher could also come into the equation as a central midfielder with the likes of Mount, with Rice sitting. Foden, Kane and one other as the front 3.

A team of Pickford / James Stones Maguire Shaw / Rice Bellingham Mount / Foden Kane Sterling for example, with many of those positions up for grabs. Ramsdale in net, Alexander Arnold and Chilwell at full back, White at centre back, Phillips, Henderson and Gallagher can come into the centre of midfield and a whole host of players could alternate with Sterling.

4 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I missed absolutely nothing,haven't watched a qualifying match in years.Gogglebox gave me more entertainment than watching multi millionaires beat part timers.

You missed at least two wonderful goals. Admittedly the second half was rather dreary but if Gogglebox is your thing then fair do’s, lap it up mate. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

You missed at least two wonderful goals. Admittedly the second half was rather dreary but if Gogglebox is your thing then fair do’s, lap it up mate. 

There's nothing better than watching TV watching people watching TV 👍

On 13/11/2021 at 18:29, roversfan99 said:

In general? Definitely 4 at the back, and 100% with Phil Foden in the team, he is the player miles above the rest of our (talented) attacking midfielders. The question is where do you play him because he is so good in so many position, but I like him further forward because he tends to score and assist so much.

We are in a bit of a strange situation with many of our attacking players out of form at the moment, Grealish I think has yet to convince that he can be as effective without being the big fish in a small pond having not yet ever replicated his Villa form, Mount needs to do more in the final third for me, Sterling has been anonymous at club level for about 18 months, Rashford is only just back from injury and didn't seem to want to be part of the squad as is the case with Greenwood, Sancho is rotting under Solskjaer (as much as I love him ruining United, it is negatively effecting many England players too) and Saka and Smith Rowe are really coming to the surface now at Arenal.

Happy with 4231 but I do wonder if a slightly more flexible 433 would allow us better control over games and perhaps to get Bellingham in. Connor Gallagher could also come into the equation as a central midfielder with the likes of Mount, with Rice sitting. Foden, Kane and one other as the front 3.

A team of Pickford / James Stones Maguire Shaw / Rice Bellingham Mount / Foden Kane Sterling for example, with many of those positions up for grabs. Ramsdale in net, Alexander Arnold and Chilwell at full back, White at centre back, Phillips, Henderson and Gallagher can come into the centre of midfield and a whole host of players could alternate with Sterling.

Thanks for a very detailed response and I agree with most of the post. 

I'm not over concerned about the formation as many of our players are playing 3 in the back system and are experience players. 

if I'm playing 3-4-3 then my team would be

Pickford/ Walker Stones Maguire/ James Mount Rice Chilwell/Foden Kane Sterling

in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation 

Pickford/ James Stones Maguire Chilwell/Mount Rice Bellingham/Foden Kane Sterling. 

I agree we have plenty of talent coming through at the minute so plenty of competitive for the squad and the starting eleven

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for a very detailed response and I agree with most of the post. 

I'm not over concerned about the formation as many of our players are playing 3 in the back system and are experience players. 

if I'm playing 3-4-3 then my team would be

Pickford/ Walker Stones Maguire/ James Mount Rice Chilwell/Foden Kane Sterling

in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation 

Pickford/ James Stones Maguire Chilwell/Mount Rice Bellingham/Foden Kane Sterling. 

I agree we have plenty of talent coming through at the minute so plenty of competitive for the squad and the starting eleven

Souttar starting for Scotland chaddy.. you like him don't you?  Might give that game a watch, can't be arsed with San marino 

having two goalkeepers on the bench is a bit daft,but you could probably play both of them outfield and still win tonight,there should be a pre qualifying tournament for the likes of san marina,gibralter,andorra etc,it does`nt benefit anybody to see them get thrashed time and time again,put them all in a group and the top two get to have a shot at  the qualifying stage

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

having two goalkeepers on the bench is a bit daft,but you could probably play both of them outfield and still win tonight,there should be a pre qualifying tournament for the likes of san marina,gibralter,andorra etc,it does`nt benefit anybody to see them get thrashed time and time again,put them all in a group and the top two get to have a shot at  the qualifying stage

Think they have to have 2 keepers on the bench. Part of the rules. 

They did it at the euros and I though it was mad until I heard about the rule.

15 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Think they have to have 2 keepers on the bench. Part of the rules. 

They did it at the euros and I though it was mad until I heard about the rule.

Team list  in WC games (usually) names 23 players, 11 starters plus 12 subs. List must have 3 keepers.

Due to withdrawals England a bit short on the bench tonight but still have the 3 fit and available keepers.

• Like 1

3-0 already. What is the point of these meaningless qualifiers against countries that clearly are out of their depth and should not be in the competition?

Well done to Fifa for making World Cup qualification so easy and such a farce that even the Scots could get through. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Kane hat-trick against Albania and now San Marino...... might I suggest the goals don't count towards his England tally as the opposition wasn't worthy of international football?

Overtaking some genuine greats of the game (Greaves/Lineker) by scoring against a pub side.

There should be pre qualifying below a certain world ranking threshold.