BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Going to probably get pelters for this but I’d have maguire starting for England . Abit like the Pickford debate, he had never let his country down and I do believe he his a good player who’s had a bad season at a toxic club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Going to probably get pelters for this but I’d have maguire starting for England . Abit like the Pickford debate, he had never let his country down and I do believe he his a good player who’s had a bad season at a toxic club.

If judged on performances he's lucky to be included as he has been crap, but Southgate trusts him and as you say he has always performed for England. 

I wonder if the manager is using this England outing to try and restore his confidence. Unless there are marked changes in the next few months I assume that Maguire and Stones will partner at the back in Qatar. I actually think the back 5 will be the same as the Euros - pending Shaw returning to fitness.

His team mates Sancho and Rashford haven't been afforded the same treatment but with England having a good few options in the wide roles it was an easy decision for Southgate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'm with you on that one completely. 

It's a fine balance between picking your favourite 11 england players regardless of club form and completely changing the squad each time it's announced to pick which ever player is having a good month. I think Gareth generally does this quite well. The back 5 is fairly stable and he goes with his tried and tested where as the forward positions where you can afford a bit more rotation, he tends to hand out caps like confetti. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If judged on performances he's lucky to be included as he has been crap, but Southgate trusts him and as you say he has always performed for England. 

I wonder if the manager is using this England outing to try and restore his confidence. Unless there are marked changes in the next few months I assume that Maguire and Stones will partner at the back in Qatar. I actually think the back 5 will be the same as the Euros - pending Shaw returning to fitness.

His team mates Sancho and Rashford haven't been afforded the same treatment but with England having a good few options in the wide roles it was an easy decision for Southgate. 

Yeah if there had been a raft of decent centre backs waiting in the wings then there’s a lot more to debate. Rashford and sancho were rightly dropped for that reason. The reality is there aren’t many better and he hasn’t done anything bad in an England shirt 

We have a few very good centrebacks. Gomez tomori ghuei stones white maguire mings. None are world class but rice and Phillips do a really good job protecting them. Though I would like to see a Bellingham rice partnership as that would be a dynamic technical midfield 

I think we need to go 3 at the back with Rice and Bellingham in front of the back 3. Then we can play with wing backs - TAA and James are devastating going forwards so it wouldn't be an overly defensive switch imo. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

We have a few very good centrebacks. Gomez tomori ghuei stones white maguire mings. None are world class but rice and Phillips do a really good job protecting them. Though I would like to see a Bellingham rice partnership as that would be a dynamic technical midfield 

Not seen enough of Tomori and Gheui to really have a proper sense of how good they are, but off reputation it's good that our pool is looking a bit deeper than last summer. Mings is a perfectly decent player, but I didn't like the fact that as soon as Stones or Maguire were unavailable, he was the obvious pick as a replacement. 

Still a long way from having being potentially to draw upon Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Carragher, King or Woodgate at any one time! But certainly an improvement on what has been a pretty noticeable weak spot for a few years. 

• Like 2

That patch of centre backs mentioned would need someone very biased to be described as "very good!" Stones is the best of the bunch but is not top quality, he wouldn't get into City's side if everyone was fit. Tomori has seemingly impressed at Milan although I can't say that I have seen him play. The rest are average. Maguire has shown his many flaws, Gomez had potential that has not been built on due partially to injuries and also even when fit he doesn't get close to that Liverpool side. Guehi is talented but raw, White is poor in the air, average in general and Mings is a walking disaster.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That patch of centre backs mentioned would need someone very biased to be described as "very good!" Stones is the best of the bunch but is not top quality, he wouldn't get into City's side if everyone was fit. Tomori has seemingly impressed at Milan although I can't say that I have seen him play. The rest are average. Maguire has shown his many flaws, Gomez had potential that has not been built on due partially to injuries and also even when fit he doesn't get close to that Liverpool side. Guehi is talented but raw, White is poor in the air, average in general and Mings is a walking disaster.

Think you're being a bit harsh, but agree the basic point is that the centre backs (and GKs) are not world class. We've got world class quality in other areas but not those two. If we did we'd have CBs and GKs playing in the Champions League which (apart from Stones when others are injured) but we don't.

The one who does seem promising is Tomori. I'm really surprised he's had such limited England call ups.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maguire always looks quality for England.  Stones was ahead of laporte till his injury.  Tomori has been a regular in the best defence In seria a. Mings is only decent.  White is a very good ball playing defender and was a huge part of arsenals success till recently.  Gomez is still young enough. 

21 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Think you're being a bit harsh, but agree the basic point is that the centre backs (and GKs) are not world class. We've got world class quality in other areas but not those two. If we did we'd have CBs and GKs playing in the Champions League which (apart from Stones when others are injured) but we don't.

The one who does seem promising is Tomori. I'm really surprised he's had such limited England call ups.

Southgate doesn't think he's good enough on the ball compared to maguire and stones which is bullshit considering hes better than mings or coady

7 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

This is the formation I wanted to see. Only just switched it on, how is it going? Is Mount playing on the left of a front three? That feels like a bit of shoehorning

The penguins of Madagascar is more interestring

• Like 2

Collective disinterest, by our players.

A very soft pen by why did he move back towards the player and put his hands on him. Having said that RJ fouls almost every time he's within kicking distance of an oppo, in the PL and for England.

Hungary were good technically and wanted it more.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

With the stadium ban at least we don't have to put up with the booing at black players,we just have to put up with kids blowing vuvuzelas instead

Oh don't worry, I can already see tomorrow's headlines about TAA not singing the national anthem while ignoring Mount doing the same.

No idea what possible difference between them will form this motivation though.

13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Oh don't worry, I can already see tomorrow's headlines about TAA not singing the national anthem while ignoring Mount doing the same.

No idea what possible difference between them will form this motivation though.

Maybe they both sing out of tune, just like they played.

• Like 1