BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

It is pointless but if there is a preliminary qualifying group San Marino would finish bottom of that too. 

How would that group fit in with the schedule? They'd have to play more matches just to get into a group then more than likely would be the whipping boys all over again. 

The pitch is a mess too. 

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally pointless.

So let's go for the record to show the farce up for what it is.

Was 2008 qualification that Germany beat them 13-0. Let's go for 14/15 here, get the record, and maybe force FIFA to have a rethink.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Kane hat-trick against Albania and now San Marino...... might I suggest the goals don't count towards his England tally as the opposition wasn't worthy of international football?

1 minute ago, Displaced Rover said:

Overtaking some genuine greats of the game (Greaves/Lineker) by scoring against a pub side.

There should be pre qualifying below a certain world ranking threshold.

Do you not think that the Greaves of this world would have had a few ‘free hits’ as well? I remember England dicking Turkey 8 or 9 nil away not that long ago (Robson era maybe?). 

I do agree about the prequalifying though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Do you not think that the Greaves of this world would have had a few ‘free hits’ as well? I remember England dicking Turkey 8 or 9 nil away not that long ago (Robson era maybe?). 

I do agree about the prequalifying though. 

Yeah Jimmy got to fill his boots against Scotland in that 9-3 dicking a few years ago.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It is pointless but if there is a preliminary qualifying group San Marino would finish bottom of that too. 

How would that group fit in with the schedule? They'd have to play more matches just to get into a group then more than likely would be the whipping boys all over again. 

The pitch is a mess too. 

I reckon they should play preliminary games to get into real qualifiers during major tournaments. So as the top sides playing in the euros/world cup the least crap of the dregs win the right to get battered as per usual. 

This is awful, embarrassing. This isn't international football, or any sort of competitive football. Comparisons to the Greaves era are wrong too.... he never played against any team as poor as this 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This is awful, embarrassing. This isn't international football, or any sort of competitive football. Comparisons to the Greaves era are wrong too.... he never played against any team as poor as this 

To be fair nor would he have been substituted on the hour mark after scoring three and four in consecutive games!

Edited by oldjamfan1

San Marino have only won one game in their entire history, a 1 nil friendly win over Lichenstein. Had we won 20 nil it still wouldnt have been impressive.

I do wonder if next time we play such opposition, whether Southgate should pick a team of League 2 and Conference players. Wed still batter them but it would send a message to UEFA, these games shouldnt be taking place without pre qualification.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

San Marino have only won one game in their entire history, a 1 nil friendly win over Lichenstein. Had we won 20 nil it still wouldnt have been impressive.

I do wonder if next time we play such opposition, whether Southgate should pick a team of League 2 and Conference players. Wed still batter them but it would send a message to UEFA, these games shouldnt be taking place without pre qualification.

A 10-0 win is impressive .  Not many teams score double figures against them.  It's about how this group of players are more relentless than previous squads. We're top scorers in qualifying.  One of the best defensive records.  We are missing about 6 or 7 high class players.  I would rather be us than Portugal or Italy struggling against teams that are inferior.  

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

A 10-0 win is impressive .  Not many teams score double figures against them.  It's about how this group of players are more relentless than previous squads. We're top scorers in qualifying.  One of the best defensive records.  We are missing about 6 or 7 high class players.  I would rather be us than Portugal or Italy struggling against teams that are inferior.  

Both of those countries have won major tournaments in the last 5 years.

I wasnt remotely impressed by us winning 10 nil or indeed 5 nil last time we played them, it is a waste of time playing against a team who had to use their annual leave from their random jobs to play tonight, 5 or 10 goals is an irrelevance. Obviously our team full of players playing at the highest level were going to batter them, if we could only use Conference players and below we would still win comfortably. Literally nothing can be learnt from tonights game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Most of Rooney's international goals came in qualifying groups too - its making these players out to be better than they are compared to other greats of the past. 

Kane's got a very good tournament record to be fair

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Kane's got a very good tournament record to be fair

Yeah he does, but goals in these non-event qualifying games against plumbers and teachers should not count.

Edited by JacknOry

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Most of Rooney's international goals came in qualifying groups too - its making these players out to be better than they are compared to other greats of the past. 

Lineker scored goals against Turkey.  In those days Turkey were a very poor side. Nowadays alot better like most smaller nations.  The level of football has improved significantly in the last 30 years. So it evens itself out