BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

14 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

They need to chill out 

The atmosphere has been getting better and better. Smoke bombs are harmless. Go to a match in Europe they are everywhere 

Sorry but this is an extremely egocentric attitude. "I enjoy them with my mates so there isn't a problem."

1) If you are elderly or suffer from breathing difficulties, then smoke is not harmless.

2) If you want to watch the game but there's a smoke bomb going off near you, then you can't.

3) The atmosphere is down to noise not smoke and would not suffer in any way from a few smoke bombs being left in a warehouse somewhere.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Sorry but this is an extremely egocentric attitude. "I enjoy them with my mates so there isn't a problem."

1) If you are elderly or suffer from breathing difficulties, then smoke is not harmless.

2) If you want to watch the game but there's a smoke bomb going off near you, then you can't.

3) The atmosphere is down to noise not smoke and would not suffer in any way from a few smoke bombs being left in a warehouse somewhere.

They are happening despite all of what you say. If it was better managed you would see less problems. 

Clubs like Borrusia Dortmund have an entire stand that release flares and smoke bombs every single game. You don’t see their fans dropping down with breathing difficulties game after game. That is because it is managed, with the club, in a sensible fashion. You also see a greatly improved atmosphere at German games than you do in modern English football. Like it or not that is the perception. I couldn’t see the JW stand embracing it so if you value views above all else I would definitely be sitting in that stand hence the bigger price. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

Just replace pyrotechnics with toilet rolls since there's no shortage of them any more and they don't pose a danger. They can also be retrieved by the stewards and used for their original purpose. Perk of the job. 👌

There would always be some idiot that packed the center tube, and turned it into a missile.

I think a severe warning would suffice first time around although we don't know if they've been in bother before.

Maybe a word to some of the useless stewards wouldn't go amiss either seeing as their heavy handed treatment of kids on the pitch nearly caused a riot.

19 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

Just replace pyrotechnics with toilet rolls since there's no shortage of them any more and they don't pose a danger. They can also be retrieved by the stewards and used for their original purpose. Perk of the job. 👌

Come on they'd be filming, investigating and trying to lock up people chucking bog rolls and shredded newspaper these days. Maybe get away with a few nice balloons, only partially inflated of course though.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I will glue myself to bolton road if people start throwing toilet roll 🤬🤬🤬

For every toilet roll thrown 200 acres of the Amazon is felled and  8 monkeys die.

Yeah but if you're a tax dodger who went to Eaton you'd be allowed to chuck enough roll to wipe every arse on earth !

• Like 1

I'm a first time visitor to this site and whilst I've read a few of the posts, I've certainly not read through the whole thread. 

To give you a background of my history with the Rovers. My early memories are going to Ewood with my dad in the early 80's and to the odd away game he'd take me to - Leeds, Man City, Oldham and strangely a night game at Sunderland - especially stick in my mind. Over the next 10 years or so I became what you could call a fanatic, to the extent that I rarely, if ever, missed a game home or away, in any competition, Saturday or midweek. I would say I was a "superfan", truly fanatical about my club and I suppose that's why I have a slightly different take on this subject.

Before I go on I want to make one thing clear, I'm not a hooligan, not a trouble maker and have never been in trouble with the Police, I'm saying this because when I go in to more detail about my views on the subject, I'm sure that's what some will label me as. 

My passion for the Rovers was still there when the good times came and we obviously had the heady days of the Premiership, BUT, somehow I slowly found that I was enjoying going to the games, especially at Ewood, less and less. The main reason for this was the type of supporter that the success inevitably attracted, the fair weather or plastic fans that are conspicuous at all the successful clubs.

From standing on an open end at Brighton or Portsmouth with 3 or 400 hundred Rovers fans, knowing that they were there for one reason, because they were passionate about the club, I was now sat in a stadium with 20 odd thousand "fans" that were there for less noble reasons. To cut a long story short, I slowly became disillusioned with being asked to sit down, stop swearing etc or the constant whining of people around me when everything wasn't going perfect. The last straw came when I had an altercation with one of these so called fans, was ejected from the ground and had my season ticket taken off me. That was in 1999 and apart from the odd Burnley game, I've not been back since until a couple of games in the last month or so.

So having said all that, this is my take on the attendances and in general the Rovers support. 

Going to a football match is not just about buying your ticket and turning up. The team's fortunes on the pitch will wax and wane over time, there's generally not much the average fan can really do to affect this, what we do have control over is how our club, our ground, our town is backed by us, the fans in the stands and my experience over the years has taught me that the Rovers have some of, if not THE worst home fans in the country.

I realise this is slightly off topic and the we're being asked how we can improve attendance now today, but I can assure you that there are many many more like myself that stopped going, not because of anything happening on the pitch, but because they became sick of the lack of passion in the stands.

I went to the Preston game, I sat at the back of the Walkers steel stand, on my own and sung like the old days - on my own - some looked at me like I had 2 heads, a few moved seats to somewhere quieter! It beggers belief that vocally supporting your club, singing, screaming AT A FOOTBALL MATCH is seen as something odd. 

I understand not everyone will be a fanatic, all clubs have there fair share of apathetic fans, but at Ewood it seems the bores have taken over over the past 30 years or so. Bring in singing sections, let people stand up, have flag days, in short lets liven the fcuking place up. I for one would be back like a shot, regardless of ticket prices, team performance, live streaming or anything else.

SING UP FOR THE BOYS.

What a load of nonsense.

Rovers fans are no better or worse than any other. Some clubs just happen to have more bums on seats than others due to demographics, catchment areas etc, how on earth you can judge Rovers fans as ‘less passionate’ is beyond me.

As for ‘atmosphere’, you obviously don’t go to many away games, as Ewood in no different than the vast majority of grounds. The PNE game had a crackling atmosphere, especially in the Blackburn End, but if you chose to sit in the emptiest stand, why are you surprised that it wasn’t rocking in there?

And as for that bizarre stuff about the 90s, If you honestly preferred to see the club you were supposedly  ‘fanatical’ about followed by one man and his dog than see the fantastic club of ours with 25,000 crowds and winning major trophies, then, well, what can you even say to that?!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

To label your own home supporters THE worst in the Country is utter bullshyte mate and slightly strange for a first post,although I can actually relate to some of your points,they apply to most grounds in the Country also.

The decline in atmosphere started with the demolition of the sweeping terraces of old...places were the like-minded vocal supporters gathered.That said,I have witnessed the new Ewood bouncing on many occasions.

See you at Ewood Wednesday...

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

In fairness I was specifically talking about the home fans, we've always had terrific away support. I'm not too big to admit that I may have gone OTT, I've probably still got a chip on my shoulder from the way I went from going every week to not going at all, cold turkey. I still stand by my comments about the vast majority of the fans that attached itself to the club for the glory years.

The bottom line is, football in nothing without an atmosphere, I can't stand to be in a quiet stadium, as I said I love my town and I love the Rovers but I've denied myself going for over 20 years.

I'm in the Blackburn End for the Barnsley game and I stand to be corrected about the atmosphere, I'll be singing loud and proud anyway. There's nothing I'd like to see more than Ewood full every week, I know it's a pipedream, but it would be nice if they were all hardcore.

15 minutes ago, 4000 HOLES said:

In fairness I was specifically talking about the home fans, we've always had terrific away support. I'm not too big to admit that I may have gone OTT, I've probably still got a chip on my shoulder from the way I went from going every week to not going at all, cold turkey. I still stand by my comments about the vast majority of the fans that attached itself to the club for the glory years.

The bottom line is, football in nothing without an atmosphere, I can't stand to be in a quiet stadium, as I said I love my town and I love the Rovers but I've denied myself going for over 20 years.

I'm in the Blackburn End for the Barnsley game and I stand to be corrected about the atmosphere, I'll be singing loud and proud anyway. There's nothing I'd like to see more than Ewood full every week, I know it's a pipedream, but it would be nice if they were all hardcore.

It's possible to be fanatical about your club without being especially vocal or demonstrative, singing sweary songs, or without going to away games. Football fans come in all shapes and sizes, noisy & quiet, brash or reserved. It does not make one fan more deserving of fan status than the other.

Others have a right to watch the match seated, whilst whining about what they are paying to watch, without someone in front of them constantly swearing. Be considerate 

I agree that all seater stadia have brought a different, often more sedate atmosphere to grounds; Ewood is not alone in that. There's still a place for the loud, vocal fan at Ewood though; however the Riverside is not that place!

• Like 2

I'm sorry Atko but asking someone to be considerate with regards to swearing in a football ground is something we'd never agree on, sorry. I never heard my dad swear in front of me, except at the football and I don't judge him 1 bit for that.

I suppose this is the crux of the argument and why I stopped going. In the old days, the nuttier vociferous types could stand on the terraces and enjoy their day. which I did. and the more sedate fans could sit in the posh seats 🙂 When the all seater came in, they still get to sit down and watch the way they always have, but what happens to the fans like me?

So I would say this, you be considerate to me and let me stand up swear and sing my lungs out, I wouldn't dream of doing it on a bus or in a library. but we're on a football ground. I'm not being confrontational, I'm just trying to explain, you have one way you want to act at the ground, I have another, but my way was badly affected when the grounds changed. I also take your point that being in the Riverside is maybe not the best indicator of the Ewood of today's atmosphere, that's why I'm in the Blackburn End on Wednesday.

As for the person asking why I've started going again after 20 years, I couldn't tell you, I've always missed going, but missing the old days and knowing deep down that those days are well gone. I always felt I'd end up going back one day, I'm later in life now and am just seeing if it's something that will excite me like the old days, maybe it's a mid life crisis!

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, 4000 HOLES said:

I'm a first time visitor to this site and whilst I've read a few of the posts, I've certainly not read through the whole thread. 

To give you a background of my history with the Rovers. My early memories are going to Ewood with my dad in the early 80's and to the odd away game he'd take me to - Leeds, Man City, Oldham and strangely a night game at Sunderland - especially stick in my mind. Over the next 10 years or so I became what you could call a fanatic, to the extent that I rarely, if ever, missed a game home or away, in any competition, Saturday or midweek. I would say I was a "superfan", truly fanatical about my club and I suppose that's why I have a slightly different take on this subject.

Before I go on I want to make one thing clear, I'm not a hooligan, not a trouble maker and have never been in trouble with the Police, I'm saying this because when I go in to more detail about my views on the subject, I'm sure that's what some will label me as. 

My passion for the Rovers was still there when the good times came and we obviously had the heady days of the Premiership, BUT, somehow I slowly found that I was enjoying going to the games, especially at Ewood, less and less. The main reason for this was the type of supporter that the success inevitably attracted, the fair weather or plastic fans that are conspicuous at all the successful clubs.

From standing on an open end at Brighton or Portsmouth with 3 or 400 hundred Rovers fans, knowing that they were there for one reason, because they were passionate about the club, I was now sat in a stadium with 20 odd thousand "fans" that were there for less noble reasons. To cut a long story short, I slowly became disillusioned with being asked to sit down, stop swearing etc or the constant whining of people around me when everything wasn't going perfect. The last straw came when I had an altercation with one of these so called fans, was ejected from the ground and had my season ticket taken off me. That was in 1999 and apart from the odd Burnley game, I've not been back since until a couple of games in the last month or so.

So having said all that, this is my take on the attendances and in general the Rovers support. 

Going to a football match is not just about buying your ticket and turning up. The team's fortunes on the pitch will wax and wane over time, there's generally not much the average fan can really do to affect this, what we do have control over is how our club, our ground, our town is backed by us, the fans in the stands and my experience over the years has taught me that the Rovers have some of, if not THE worst home fans in the country.

I realise this is slightly off topic and the we're being asked how we can improve attendance now today, but I can assure you that there are many many more like myself that stopped going, not because of anything happening on the pitch, but because they became sick of the lack of passion in the stands.

I went to the Preston game, I sat at the back of the Walkers steel stand, on my own and sung like the old days - on my own - some looked at me like I had 2 heads, a few moved seats to somewhere quieter! It beggers belief that vocally supporting your club, singing, screaming AT A FOOTBALL MATCH is seen as something odd. 

I understand not everyone will be a fanatic, all clubs have there fair share of apathetic fans, but at Ewood it seems the bores have taken over over the past 30 years or so. Bring in singing sections, let people stand up, have flag days, in short lets liven the fcuking place up. I for one would be back like a shot, regardless of ticket prices, team performance, live streaming or anything else.

SING UP FOR THE BOYS.

There's a lot of nonsense in this post but welcome nonetheless.

Which is the 'Walkers steel stand'?

Why are you surprised you were singing on your own if you sat on your own?

Which part of the Preston game was this, because I recall it being a pretty fun game to be at in the BBE?

'Last 30 years', so you missed on virtually everything? The good times AND the bad? Yet now you're slagging the fans who stayed when you couldn't be arsed?

Baffling.

• Like 1

I'm not lecturing anyone, this whole thread is about attendances at Ewood, I've been a missing fan for years but it had nothing to do with any reason given on the thread. Nothing to do with ticket prices, owners, managers, how good or bad the team was doing, free live streaming etc.

If people think I'm alone in not going because they miss the old terrace days and atmosphere that came with it, then they're way off the mark. So what can the club do to encourage some of these back to Ewood? 

As for me stopping going because "I couldn't be arsed any more", that's bollocks, it was the hardest thing I ever did, it took about 3 or 4 years to feel anything like normal not being there when the Rovers played.