BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

What Boro fans think of Burke is brutal

https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/burke-boro.87633/

That's what sheff utd fans think of him....

As you say its brutal though, sometimes when an out of favour player is touted with a move away some fans exaggerate how shite they are but it's pretty unanimous....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Ok ok, it's late and I've had a drink, but hear me out:

Dani Alves

Gonzalo Castro

Nabil Bentaleb

Kwadwo Asamoah

Paulinho

Diego Perotti

All without clubs, all experienced, perhaps a touch of PL class in them yet.

I think this may be an old list Mike. Alves is back at Barca. Paulinho Corinthians. Bentaleb off to France. Not sure on the rest!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

That's what sheff utd fans think of him....

As you say its brutal though, sometimes when an out of favour player is touted with a move away some fans exaggerate how shite they are but it's pretty unanimous....

Just checked out his instagram…jeez. The bling and attire alone is reason enough to swerve.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t see Tony going for him if he turns up dressed like that.

What does it matter what he wears. Beckham wore a skirt, would that stop us signing him when he was 24? What matters is what he does on the park. I’m not bothered if he looks like Uncle Albert or Grace Jones. I reserve judgement on him. His record is not brill but if he’s been identified as potential then let us see what happens.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

What does it matter what he wears. Beckham wore a skirt, would that stop us signing him when he was 24? What matters is what he does on the park. I’m not bothered if he looks like Uncle Albert or Grace Jones. I reserve judgement on him. His record is not brill but if he’s been identified as potential then let us see what happens.

Read the post below yours.

Going off the Sheff Utd fan comments, which is a tiny sample, of course, it sounds like he's a James McClean type player. There's probably a better comparison, as McClean has, despite his limitations, had a good career at Championship level, mostly. That is, he's a very "basic" winger who'll outrun and try to cross but doesn't have much else to his game. On their game, these wingers can look amazing, but when closed down and matched with pace and aggression, they might struggle.

That said, I know nothing much else about him and maybe his big money moves suggest there's more to him, so have to reserve judgment.

Personally, feel that we could do with someone with not just explosive pace or power, but some guile, to open defences as, I'm sure, a lot of teams will defend deep against us now that we're front runners.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I get the idea of pursuing the likes of Hedges, Souttar etc.  We could get them Cheap or free and they will fit within the wage structure.  I get taking a punt on Burke - possibly on loan.  As a mid table champ side, unlikely to challenge for promotion, they are sensible signings.   All of these  it seems were on the radar in summer, when that looked our most likely outcome.  It made perfect sense then. 

Do they make perfect sense now?  I'd say not.  I am not a fan of loans.  I'd rather we signed players  BUT with Clarkson/Poveda going back.  This is the window to spend a fortune on loans.  We should be getting the 3 best loans we can.  Remember the likes of Archibald, Ardilles?

We've said in previous seasons, that the expensive quality  loans - your  Harvey Elliot, Tosin etc should be the icing on the cake.  The ones who get you promoted.

This is our best chance in a decade.  That's where I'd be using any budget this window.  If we fail at least we aren't saddled with expensive contracts and we can still pursue the Scottish lads in the summer.  

Fully agree. Any signings made this month should be focusing purely on the next 22 games and winning them. The prize is there to claim.

Long term project signings can wait until the summer when we know which league we are in, who leaves and who the manager is.

• Like 5

Burke signed for Sheffield United when they were in the Premier League and will be on a wage which will eclipse our newly acquired 'wage structure' I guess. But for me the most damning statistic is that he is 24 and has had seven clubs already. There is a reason for that usually.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Burke signed for Sheffield United when they were in the Premier League and will be on a wage which will eclipse our newly acquired 'wage structure' I guess. But for me the most damning statistic is that he is 24 and has had seven clubs already. There is a reason for that usually.

Agree. Although one thing in his favour is that he's actually made a fairly good number of appearances in most cases, even in top flight football. I suppose plenty of these are probably from the bench though. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

On big wages, hasn't featured since August and we're looking to take him off your hands. 

If they want a big fee too I'd just walk away. Good luck. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

On big wages, hasn't featured since August and we're looking to take him off your hands. 

If they want a big fee too I'd just walk away. Good luck. 

I just feel a bit ‘meh’ about this one and had hoped we’d be looking to pull off a couple of big surprises to really signal our intent. Granted, we still might.

Strong and quick but footballing ability wise he sounds like a poor man’s Sam Gallagher(!).