BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bournemouth (a) - 11/12/21

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tbf, anyone would’ve been a downgrade on Brad Friedel. He’s in my all time top 5 I’d say 👍🏼

Of course, but this guy had been England number 1 for a few years and he was still a mile off him.

Nice one ‘Guv’nor’ 🤦‍♂️

Robbo was a downgrade on brad for sure but anybody would've been yet he was a very good signing for us at the time. Solid if unspectacular be went down the tubes badly towards the end post Sam when the titan defenders and scraping midfielders had been flogged/forced out.

He did have a few issues going on though, back problem then illness made him pile weight on, as well as his sessions around Harrogate.  Still he went to the dark side and played up to them so he's pretty much erased from history as far as i'm concerned now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Robbo was a downgrade on brad for sure but anybody would've been yet he was a very good signing for us at the time. Solid if unspectacular be went down the tubes badly towards the end post Sam when the titan defenders and scraping midfielders had been flogged/forced out.

He did have a few issues going on though, back problem then illness made him pile weight on, as well as his sessions around Harrogate.  Still he went to the dark side and played up to them so he's pretty much erased from history as far as i'm concerned now.

Decent keeper but nowhere near as good as Brad Friedel. Way past his prime when we got him, whereas Brad was at his peak.

Didn't Robinson also make some misjudged comments about Rovers when Burnley got promoted as well? That was silly considering he made so many appearances for us and only a few for them. You'd think that would count for something.

• Like 1

I was never keen on Robinson, he had a tremedous kick and was fairly agile but his positioning was very poor- got beaten quite often from long shots.  Non-the-less, a steady(ish) enough keeper. We've had much-much worse, Steele has got to be the worst keeper I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt.  I'd go as far to say that if we'd have dropped him sooner the season we went down we'd have stayed up.  No idea how we managed to flog him to Sunderland, but I think it's little coincidence they went down too the next season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

from my youth,john butcher was a bad keeper,fettis was also pretty bad but neither of them come close in the terrible stakes to walton,who i think was the worst goalkeeper iv`e ever seen,we`ve been lucky that we`ve had some great keepers over the years,from jim arnold,terry gennoe to friedel and now kaminski

Don't forget Tim Flowers, my personal favourite as he was a lovely fellow as well. Never met the others, although I shook Bobby Mimms hand when we were promoted. Giddiest footballer ever Mimms.

Edited by booth

45 minutes ago, booth said:

Decent keeper but nowhere near as good as Brad Friedel. Way past his prime when we got him, whereas Brad was at his peak.

Didn't Robinson also make some misjudged comments about Rovers when Burnley got promoted as well? That was silly considering he made so many appearances for us and only a few for them. You'd think that would count for something.

He looked past his prime but he was only 29 when we signed him, Brad being in his late 30s when he left, night and day in professionalism.

• Like 1

This game matters very much in my opinion. The time of year where an away win against a top two team would give our lot so much confidence to push on in the New Year. On the other hand look what happened when we last played a top two team, another 7 goal drubbing would be a real killer. 
A game where there is nothing to lose? I think not. 

1 hour ago, booth said:

What were those comments? Don't remember, tbh. 

But yeah, even at 40 Brad was twice the keeper...

I think Bournemouth might win but it'll be close. Stanislas always has a field day against us, so if he's fit, I can imagine him doing well. I would hope that Gallagher comes off the bench and we keep Khadra up front.

The Fulham game might prove a major turning point as, I believe, it was the last time we played Brereton as a wide forward. Buckley, I believe, was the other wide forward, before he got hauled off after van Hecke got red carded. I can only hope that Mowbray finally learnt his lesson that wide forwards that can't/don't defend well is a recipe to get beaten. Even more so if the players behind them aren't particularly strong defensively. You might get away with it in a slower tempo game and with Arturo Vidal mopping up in midfield.

The current 3-5-2 suits the team well. However, an astute team will, I think, play a number 10, occupying Travis and then overrun Rothwell and Buckley. However, with the ball, we have a lot of runners that will trouble most teams in this league the other way.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see Clarkson can get on the bench when Davenport can’t. I know who I’d rather have.

poor davenport needs to get away for the sake of his career,i feel sorry for the lad,according to the telegraph,we`ve sold 800 tickets for today,a very good following considering the time of year and distance,i salute them,cmon you blues

• Like 4