BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (a) - Valentine’s Day 💙🤍

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Because Zeefuik is more of a wing-back than Nyambe. The team quoted is set up with wing-backs, ergo Zeefuik should start. 

Nyambe as a wing back has been a key element in the success of our new formation.

Zeefuik has underwhelmed in his first 2 games, Nyambe created a few things down the right yesterday.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe as a wing back has been a key element in the success of our new formation.

Zeefuik has underwhelmed in his first 2 games, Nyambe created a few things down the right yesterday.

Nyambe has been at right wing-back because nobody else was available. Nyambe is a full-back, not a wing-back.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe as a wing back has been very good for the last 2 or 3 months.

In my opinion, no he hasn't, I would say he has been adequate. 50% of a wing-backs role is attacking end product. Nyambe is not the best at that. 

• Like 2

Bit of a strange one re tickets that I discovered today, re tickets for WBA:

If you buy an OAP ticket at OAP concessionary price and you, as a regular adult, are accompanying the OAP....the price of the ticket for the accompanying adult is only a tenner if bought as a pair!

A Valentines Day Bonus....my Missus wasn't impressed because as a couple we'd qualify! (Bugger off and go with your mates as normal...well I tried!)

• Like 2

On 28/01/2022 at 18:00, MarkBRFC said:

Season ticket holders can buy an additional ticket for a tenner.

Hopefully boost numbers a bit, shame it's not on the Saturday would have been a great following.

15 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Bit of a strange one re tickets that I discovered today, re tickets for WBA:

If you buy an OAP ticket at OAP concessionary price and you, as a regular adult, are accompanying the OAP....the price of the ticket for the accompanying adult is only a tenner if bought as a pair!

A Valentines Day Bonus....my Missus wasn't impressed because as a couple we'd qualify! (Bugger off and go with your mates as normal...well I tried!)

Now if you had read the thread from the start you would have found that out a lot sooner 😉

We got four adults for this and just split the price accordingly, £16.50 each instead of £23. Not a huge saving but all helps.

• Like 2

He's got to change it up. Probably a formation change as well, the current set up isn't working.

Ayala has to come back in but if we switch to 4-3-3, it would mean dropping one of JPVH or Wharton. Mowbray won't do that but I think we should.

Buckley on the bench,  along with Zeefuick. 

Not sure if Pickering is back but straight back in of so.

--------------------Kaminski 

Nyambe--Ayala--Wharton--Pickering 

-----Rothwell----Trav-----Giles 

Khadra--------Gallagher-----BBD 

Something like that. Could swap Rothwell or Giles out, maybe even for Bucko as it's takes him out of the false 9 crap. 

I dunno, I feel like if we go in with the same as last night, we'll just get beat again. Gotta do something to arrest this slump.

• Like 1

I think this game might suit us a bit better if he sticks to his guns and doesn't change too much. People asking for changes need to step back a realize the team and what it's doing has been gradually changing over the past few weeks. And it is that that isn't working we are also returning to subs for subs sake not to change anything.

Dangerous territory with Mowbray this is we don't want to end up with possession football again because you won't see a win for a month.

He is totally right about everyone sticking together and keeping their heads including us fans, heads were going on and of the pitch last night. Just get back to the solid unspectacular basics and set out to be tight and stodgy and bity again mainly looking to counter. Get square pegs back in square holes and unpopular opinion but get the new signings on the bench.

Lets see what we can grind out.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

I don't think a knee jerk change of formation is what's needed. The way we play now has brought us huge success and although results have slipped, it's because we have stopped being clinical in front of goal. 

I would bring in Ayala for Lenihan, Gallagher for Khadra, Dolan for Buckley , Nyambe and Pickering for Zeefuik and Giles. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

We will lose the physical battle, lose the midfield and therefore probably the match.

I cannot see where a goal is coming from, either in its creation or execution.

There is not a natural goalscorer in the squad apart from Diaz, not his nemesis Brereton, and a fit and inform Dack.

I have to smile when I see Travis acting hard, fecking pussy.

I am going to rewatch the Forest game and see if I can spot all this 2nd half endeavour many are on aout. It passe me by live, I thought Forest dominated us without much effort on their behalf.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Dolan in and Nyambe at right back would be a start. It was very concerning to see Hedges come on when Zeefuik went off injured.

I’d be willing to bet that was the first time Hedges has ever played right back in his life….

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We will lose the physical battle, lose the midfield and therefore probably the match.

I cannot see where a goal is coming from, either in its creation or execution.

There is not a natural goalscorer in the squad apart from Diaz, not his nemesis Brereton, and a fit and inform Dack.

I have to smile when I see Travis acting hard, fecking pussy.

We are indeed looking weak in midfield, but Livermore is suspended for them and their fans have turned on Mowett big time. They have their own issues there 

Trav's hardman act is based on shithousing not putting it about he's very much the Championship era Robbie Savage. Nothing wrong with that but he's a good player and needs to get back to leading by example. All the rest of it is fine when you are hanging onto a lead or draw and closing games out but when you are chasing them it doesn't really contribute.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think this game might suit us a bit better if he sticks to his guns and doesn't change too much. People asking for changes need to step back a realize the team and what it's doing has been gradually changing over the past few weeks. And it is that that isn't working we are also returning to subs for subs sake not to change anything.

Dangerous territory with Mowbray this is we don't want to end up with possession football again because you won't see a win for a month.

He is totally right about everyone sticking together and keeping their heads including us fans, heads were going on and of the pitch last night. Just get back to the solid unspectacular basics and set out to be tight and stodgy and bity again mainly looking to counter. Get square pegs back in round holes and unpopular opinion but get the new signings on the bench.

Lets see what we can grind out.

I think opposition managers have worked us out. If you look back through some of the wins pre-xmas, Bournemouth, PNE, Stoke, Birmingham etc. We had less possession and made far fewer passes than the opposition as well. Last night, despite going a man down, we managed to shade the possession and had more passes.

The attackers and midfielders pressed in the right areas and we often won the ball back between the halfway line and the opposition penalty area, which allowed us to get some chances created. Sometimes it was just a case of a ball over the top and we were in.

Now, teams give us the possession, knowing we can't do anything with it. Sit a touch deeper and frustrate us.

A common theme under Mowbrays Rovers, we cannot break a compact, organised team down. Never have been able to.

But we can't press the opposition in the areas we used to because we have the ball to start with. Our tactics aren't working because the opposition aren't letting us do it anymore.  

The pressing last night went to pot, people pressing all over the place, leaving huge gaps everywhere. 

Why was Lenihan even in the position he was when he got sent off? He's 1 of 3 centre backs not the right wing back. He's been pushing forward a lot in the last few games, to the point where he was putting crosses in against Swansea. Why the hell is he doing that? 

All in all, we can't go back to what we were doing, unless the opposition plays into our hands. We absolutely need a plan B, which will probably end up being plan A.

This game will be tough, Bruce will have his team sitting deep and they will give us the ball. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I think opposition managers have worked us out. If you look back through some of the wins pre-xmas, Bournemouth, PNE, Stoke, Birmingham etc. We had less possession and made far fewer passes than the opposition as well. Last night, despite going a man down, we managed to shade the possession and had more passes.

The attackers and midfielders pressed in the right areas and we often won the ball back between the halfway line and the opposition penalty area, which allowed us to get some chances created. Sometimes it was just a case of a ball over the top and we were in.

Now, teams give us the possession, knowing we can't do anything with it. Sit a touch deeper and frustrate us.

A common theme under Mowbrays Rovers, we cannot break a compact, organised team down. Never have been able to.

But we can't press the opposition in the areas we used to because we have the ball to start with. Our tactics aren't working because the opposition aren't letting us do it anymore.  

The pressing last night went to pot, people pressing all over the place, leaving huge gaps everywhere. 

Why was Lenihan even in the position he was when he got sent off? He's 1 of 3 centre backs not the right wing back. He's been pushing forward a lot in the last few games, to the point where he was putting crosses in against Swansea. Why the hell is he doing that? 

All in all, we can't go back to what we were doing, unless the opposition plays into our hands. We absolutely need a plan B, which will probably end up being plan A.

This game will be tough, Bruce will have his team sitting deep and they will give us the ball. 

So we'll have to sit deep and make it a non event then let their crowd get riled and they'll demand it going forwards. This is what i'm trying to say about digging in we've shown this season we can get a result out of a dogfight so lets keep it ugly again. 

As you say our possession and playing a higher line tends to play into the oppositions hands but nothing new there. It only seems to work for us if we score first which isn't happening at the moment but again it's nothing new. We'll never have a plan B all we do is end up with bodies all over the park where they shouldn't be.

Lets be boring for a while and leave the onus on the opposition chasing games isn't our thing being frustrating and hitting on the counter is. so many times this season iv'e seen opposition fans say Blackburn are shit i can't believe they are up there, just after we've beaten them.

That's where promotion is at.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So we'll have to sit deep and make it a non event then let their crowd get riled and they'll demand it going forwards. This is what i'm trying to say about digging in we've shown this season we can get a result out of a dogfight so lets keep it ugly again. 

As you say our possession and playing a higher line tends to play into the oppositions hands but nothing new there. It only seems to work for us if we score first which isn't happening at the moment but again it's nothing new. We'll never have a plan B all we do is end up with bodies all over the park where they shouldn't be.

Lets be boring for a while and leave the onus on the opposition chasing games isn't our thing being frustrating and hitting on the counter is. so many times this season iv'e seen opposition fans say Blackburn are shit i can't believe they are up there, just after we've beaten them.

That's where promotion is at.

I don’t think we’ve got the players for that. For the majority of them it’s not in their mentality.

We;ve already done it several times over this season so i'd say that IS our mentality we are better with our backs to the wall for long periods.

Free flowing attacking football with some composure to pick teams apart really isn't our thing yet the past 2 games that's what its ended up being about. Ok, circumstances dictate but something tells me Mowbray is desperate for the fancy stuff but it's the muck and bullets stuff that has got us where we are.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We;ve already done it several times over this season so i'd say that IS our mentality we are better with our backs to the wall for long periods.

Free flowing attacking football with some composure to pick teams apart really isn't our thing yet the past 2 games that's what its ended up being about. Ok, circumstances dictate but something tells me Mowbray is desperate for the fancy stuff but it's the muck and bullets stuff that has got us where we are.

First goal is crucial. Comes back to Buckley's sitter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

First goal is crucial. Comes back to Buckley's sitter 

Indeed it is it's fine lines even though things aren't dropping at the moment we are still a really tough side to play against. Had we got one early v Swansea as we should have done i genuinely think we could have taken them apart first half.

We just need to dig out one good result from somewhere quickly to keep the wheels on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Indeed it is it's fine lines even though things aren't dropping at the moment we are still a really tough side to play against. Had we got one early v Swansea as we should have done i genuinely think we could have taken them apart first half.

We just need to dig out one good result from somewhere quickly to keep the wheels on.

Ya, indeed and we are going to have to do it the hard way with our upcoming fixtures. 

3 points from the last 12 available 

How many from the next available 9 

• Like 1