BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

32 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's all about opinions, so here goes. The underlying reason is experience.

Hourihane - A step above anybody we have in that area, for me. Has the creativity and experience, class player. A steal on a free and to let a player like him go to Derby in their current state is galling.

Mendez-Laing - A proper winger, strong, quick and an upgrade on Dolan. Can also play on the left too. Has done it in the Championship before and even looked decent in the Premier League, scoring at OT one time. Nothing against Dolan, but NML would have been an experienced upgrade.

Barkhuizen - Showed during his time at Preston that he was a good player. Knows the league and can play out wide and down the middle. We could do worse on a free.

James Chester - experienced centre back, on a par with Lenihan in terms of ability, imo. I'd certainly have Chester ahead of Carter, Phillips, Magloire or any other kid we want to throw in.

McGoldrick - Wily, clever forward at this level and scores goals in this league. Good hold up play too. Might not start every game but would be good to have around and we'd actually have a central striker when he's on the pitch. Him or Burns/Vale? It's not even a question, for me.

Might be a very unpopular opinion, but I think Burns and Vale are more likely to be the next Butterworth and McBride, than the next Armstrong and Brereton. Give them a chance to see what they can do, fine, but I'm not expecting much.

I fear we're over egging how good some of these kids are and the reality of the Championship will slap us in the face if we don't bring some established players in. It's an unforgiving league and we're in danger of being lost in romanticism. We've lost key players, the loanees have gone, the squad is in a right state and if we don't bring in the required quality I think some will be shocked by how poor we look.

A backline of Brown (or JRC), Carter, Wharton, Pickering will take us down!

There is no criticism labelled at JDT or Broughton here. It's the bastards above them. Trying to flog us a youth project because they don't want to spend. "We're going to develop the kids", just bloody come out and say "we won't be spending much".

I hate that the positivity and enthusiasm that Broughton and JDT brought with them is being drained away due to the same old, dithering crap from people above them who don't know what they are doing.

Agreed on Hourihane.

Watched Mendez-Laing several times last season in person, no thanks.

Tom Barkuizen. Playing as a wide forward, got 0 goals last season, 4 the season before that. 29 now, just not better than what we have.

James Chester. Is he better than Ayala, no? And he's older. No thanks for me.

Agreed on McGoldrick, he's old now but I'd have taken him for a season sure.

Edited by JoeH

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You said we wouldn't win a game.Surely that would lead to relegation.

I'm disagreeing that our squad would go down as it stands.

Signings will be made anyway 

I said “IMO, that team wouldn’t win many games in a season and would be in big danger of relegation.”.

I didn’t say it was a foregone conclusion. 

yes, there will be signings but we aren’t just supplementing a decent squad as in some other seasons. We are needing experienced, quality players just to get us competitive and I’m worried whether we can get them.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Signings will come in.

Our squad is still better than those 4 teams and you can add Blackpool to that.

I'm sure all those clubs and others have poor options in certain positions.

Costello is a poor Rb but if he was to play there it wouldn't guarantee our relegation.

That’s why I said as it stands to be fair. 

JRC is diabolical.

Edited by Mellor Rover

8 minutes ago, den said:

I said “IMO, that team wouldn’t win many games in a season and would be in big danger of relegation.”.

I didn’t say it was a foregone conclusion. 

yes, there will be signings but we aren’t just supplementing a decent squad as in some other seasons. We are needing experienced, quality players just to get us competitive and I’m worried whether we can get them.

Lenihen and Nyambe big losses but they are replaceable.

If Dack can get back to anyway how he was pre injury then he will get more goals and assists than Rothwell could manage.

6/7 out of that team I posted were regulars last season.Markanday who is highly rated comes in and Dack who was one of the best in this division pre injury comes in.

A centre back(Ayala Is a better defender than Lenihen just can't trust his fitness), a RB and a striker coming into that side and we be no way near relegation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Callum Robinson anyone?

I'd take him definitely. 

Not a chance we would be able to get it done though.

I'm quite happy for the academy lads to be on the fringes of the side and in the match day squad, getting some good minutes here and there, that's why i dont think we need as many players as previously thought.

I think we desperately need a RB, CB, CM and a Striker who can all come straight into the first 11.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Just now, Madon said:

Absolutely not. He's a prick 

Why? Because he stood in front of the Rovers fans once after scoring for PNE?

The way i look at it, is he better than what we have in that position? Other than BBD who probably on a par with i would say yes.

Like i said though, it doesn't matter because i imagine we would be nowhere near him.

35 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Still plenty of time to do transfers but, wow, what a shocking window so far for us. Lost 3 key players and missed out on a key signing to Sheff Utd. Plus, Breo situation nowhere near being sorted. 

I mean, as far as you're aware.

6 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Difficult to replace with equal or better when you only have buttons to spend, (not everyone is as daft as us to get in a position where you are giving players in their prime away).

We don't know how much we have to spend to be fair .

If that was true about us bidding for Anel then if that money is available could pick up Brittain from Barnsley for £1.5- 2 million to replace Nyambe.

We got Van Hecke on a loan deal last summer who imo is a better player than Lenihen.

There will be players available within our price range or on loan that won't be too far away from Nyambe and Lenihen in terms of quality.

We may have several players on the verge of signing for us, but as we seem to be doing our business in private this summer, the reality is that none of us know.

Lets see how the situation pans out in its entirely before we start prematurely talking about being relegation candidates (which, it must be said, some on here were adamant we would be before a ball was kicked last season…)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We don't know how much we have to spend to be fair .

If that was true about us bidding for Anel then if that money is available could pick up Brittain from Barnsley for £1.5- 2 million to replace Nyambe.

We got Van Hecke on a loan deal last summer who imo is a better player than Lenihen.

There will be players available within our price range or on loan that won't be too far away from Nyambe and Lenihen in terms of quality.

Although with Nyambe and Lenihan now both on £20k+ neither are in our price range.

For centre back, Charlie Goode is probably ideal for us and I am sure Brentford would be interested in selling. The only issue is he has a young family and they have stayed based in Northampton, so not sure he would join base on that. I expect a loan to buy offer

The Barnsley lad may be more difficult to get on the cheap but probably in the £2m - £3m range. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, Andy said:

We may have several players on the verge of signing for us, but as we seem to be doing our business in private this summer, the reality is that none of us know.

Lets see how the situation pans out in its entirely before we start prematurely talking about being relegation candidates (which, it must be said, some on here were adamant we would be before a ball was kicked last season…)

People have said we are relegation candidates ‘as it stands’, I don’t agree, but that’s just their opinion ultimately. 
If people want to judge the transfer window so far, then I’m not shutting down that viewpoint, as that’s all it is. If I did, this thread may as well be locked until the window shuts.

I would personally rather we had been more active in the market so far, as the longer players have to bed in with their new team mates, the better.

Particularly given we’re three key players down already. Whatever your views on those players is, they played a lot more than they didn’t last season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Difficult to replace with equal or better when you only have buttons to spend, (not everyone is as daft as us to get in a position where you are giving players in their prime away).

I'm not ITK, nor do I claim to be - but I was told this morning that Lenihan was on 12k here.  To sign a new deal he wanted an increase of 3k, up to 15 - that was refused.   I was astonished, but don't have much reason to doubt the source.  I'm sure plenty will quickly shoot me down here, happy to be proven wrong if anyone has the figures...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

I'm not ITK, nor do I claim to be - but I was told this morning that Lenihan was on 12k here.  To sign a new deal he wanted an increase of 3k, up to 15 - that was refused.   I was astonished, but don't have much reason to doubt the source.  I'm sure plenty will quickly shoot me down here, happy to be proven wrong if anyone has the figures...

Sounds about right.

More fool us. 3k a week increase for 4 years is an extra cost to the club of what, about £600k cost if he sees it through?

Pats on the back for sticking to the 'wage structure' though.

Bet Wilder and Middlesbrough couldn't believe their luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's all about opinions, so here goes. The underlying reason is experience.

Hourihane - A step above anybody we have in that area, for me. Has the creativity and experience, class player. A steal on a free and to let a player like him go to Derby in their current state is galling.

Mendez-Laing - A proper winger, strong, quick and an upgrade on Dolan. Can also play on the left too. Has done it in the Championship before and even looked decent in the Premier League, scoring at OT one time. Nothing against Dolan, but NML would have been an experienced upgrade.

Barkhuizen - Showed during his time at Preston that he was a good player. Knows the league and can play out wide and down the middle. We could do worse on a free.

James Chester - experienced centre back, on a par with Lenihan in terms of ability, imo. I'd certainly have Chester ahead of Carter, Phillips, Magloire or any other kid we want to throw in.

McGoldrick - Wily, clever forward at this level and scores goals in this league. Good hold up play too. Might not start every game but would be good to have around and we'd actually have a central striker when he's on the pitch. Him or Burns/Vale? It's not even a question, for me.

Might be a very unpopular opinion, but I think Burns and Vale are more likely to be the next Butterworth and McBride, than the next Armstrong and Brereton. Give them a chance to see what they can do, fine, but I'm not expecting much.

I fear we're over egging how good some of these kids are and the reality of the Championship will slap us in the face if we don't bring some established players in. It's an unforgiving league and we're in danger of being lost in romanticism. We've lost key players, the loanees have gone, the squad is in a right state and if we don't bring in the required quality I think some will be shocked by how poor we look.

A backline of Brown (or JRC), Carter, Wharton, Pickering will take us down!

There is no criticism labelled at JDT or Broughton here. It's the bastards above them. Trying to flog us a youth project because they don't want to spend. "We're going to develop the kids", just bloody come out and say "we won't be spending much".

I hate that the positivity and enthusiasm that Broughton and JDT brought with them is being drained away due to the same old, dithering crap from people above them who don't know what they are doing.

I'm only interested in bringing in players that bolster the starting XI. 

With how little money we have, we can't fritter it away on 'experienced depth'. E.g. if the CM isn't a clear upgrade on Buckley and Travis then it's a waste of funds.

I too think the Academy graduates are being overhyped, but they have to be relied upon as squad filler at this point. Blood the better ones (in an established, quality first team) and give them a chance to fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Kaminski 

Carter Ayala Wharton Pickering 

Travis Buckley 

Markanday Dack Brererton 

Gallagher

That team is better than at least 5 or 6 teams in the division 

This team is a lot better than most of us are making out. I'm quite anxious about the lack of signings to date and us seemingly missing out on targets. But we'll be competitive in this league even with a few of a our better young players thrown into the squad. I'm sure we'll have strengthened before the window closes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sounds about right.

More fool us. 3k a week increase for 4 years is an extra cost to the club of what, about £600k cost if he sees it through?

Pats on the back for sticking to the 'wage structure' though.

Bet Wilder and Middlesbrough couldn't believe their luck

I mean, to me it didn't sound right.  It sounds ridiculously not-right.  Person who told me said, guess what he wanted to increase to... I guessed 18k, thinking that was perhaps a bit low.  15K 😐😐  I don't suppose we'll ever truly know unless someone asks Waggott, Mowbray or Lenihan directly. And even then,  I wouldn't expect SW to divulge, especially if it was indeed such a modest request!

Edited by Jimmy612

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

This team is a lot better than most of us are making out. I'm quite anxious about the lack of signings to date and us seemingly missing out on targets. But we'll be competitive in this league even with a few of a our better young players thrown into the squad. I'm sure we'll have strengthened before the window closes.

BBD is going to be sold almost certainly I'd say.  IMO its been a disastrous off season to date.