BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

14 minutes ago, Inferi said:

I live in Sweden and follow Allsvenskan. Berget is a very hard worker on the pitch, but lacks pace and technique. I think he would have a hard time keeping up with the pace of the championship. He is a decent crosser from a wing position, but he needs faster players around him to set him up. I also think he is past his best. Would be an unambitious signing in my opinion, but he might be cheap to buy. Also, he has a good beard.

If he's slow and can play different positions but non effectively, he'll fit right in. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers will open new contract talks with a fixed fee release clause in it. I did say that Rovers would offer this sort of contract to BBD during a discussion with Roversfan99

What?

Surely we have already done this? 

We’re run by complete morons, nothing has changed.” (Venkys, Waggott et al)

• Like 2

4 competitive wins on the bounce turns sour very quickly, doesn't it? I guess its true that you are only as good as your last game!

It really appears that the delays & indecisiveness in recruitment has carried on from the Mowbray era! Suggests that neither Mowbray, Broughton or JDT have any control over improving the team other than using the academy!

Edited by Bennisfromheaven
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At the end of the day Broughton will have secured the job here on what he can deliver for the owners, or perhaps more importantly, their friend in the shadows.

He will not have got the job here on the basis he is going to go out into the transfer market, spend £10 million, increase the wage bill and bring in a load of ready made proven players.

He will have got the job here on the basis he is going to smooth the 'pathways' for the academy players into the first team, bring in a head coach more willing than Mowbray to play the game and hand over responsibility for spending money to others, cut costs and wages and increase value in low cost investments.

Everything that has happened at this club since 2020 points towards a reduction in costs and investment, so expecting millions to be spent in the next 10 days is foolish, imo.

Waggott got the job not because he was going to grow or improve the club or deliver a long term strategy. He got the job because they needed a figurehead/fall guy and because he promised to save them money. 

Broughton got the job because he convinced them that he would deliver more for their money on players and get more academy products through the system. 

The club suffers through all of this.

Gregg 'Greta Garbo' Broughton said as much when he gave his one and only interview - that we would look 'internally' for players first. 

Nowt much changed on or off the pitch since Mowbray although it will take time to shake that off.  Not sure they are bothered about that though it still seems a case of as you were.

Signing players from his lists, getting a new director who then quickly does a disappearing act leaving the head coach to bat off the usual questions.  Waiting on certain players at the expense of finding others then likely getting knocked back and panicking or doing nothing. 

Imo Broughton has stepped in and thought easy stuff this i'll just shove another 3 from the academy into the first team and let the head coach deal with it it's his problem then.  

Still no thinking out of the box they are all just following the ex managers blueprint.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kcaj93 said:

In regards to Wharton and garnett we cannot rely on them. As with vale the step up from academy to men's football in the championship is vast. We need another body in midfield and to laon one of them out for experience. It worked well for Carter in the past and also lenhihan after a season on loan. We can't rely on untested academy players.

Garrett, unless I've missed that he's injured, is yet to be involved in a match day squad, including the game against Hartlepool as far as I can tell.

Both would probably benefit from a loan for a season.

In any case, neither seem ready for championship football or at least the manager doesn't believe they are ready.

We definitely need another CM, saying that, you could probably put a good argument across for needing quite a lot of players.

The squad is poor/thin on the ground across the board.

Kaminski, Ayala, Wharton, Brittain, BBD, Trav and Dack aside, you could make a case for replacing any of the others.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At the end of the day Broughton will have secured the job here on what he can deliver for the owners, or perhaps more importantly, their friend in the shadows.

He will not have got the job here on the basis he is going to go out into the transfer market, spend £10 million, increase the wage bill and bring in a load of ready made proven players.

He will have got the job here on the basis he is going to smooth the 'pathways' for the academy players into the first team, bring in a head coach more willing than Mowbray to play the game and hand over responsibility for spending money to others, cut costs and wages and increase value in low cost investments.

Everything that has happened at this club since 2020 points towards a reduction in costs and investment, so expecting millions to be spent in the next 10 days is foolish, imo.

Waggott got the job not because he was going to grow or improve the club or deliver a long term strategy. He got the job because they needed a figurehead/fall guy and because he promised to save them money. 

Broughton got the job because he convinced them that he would deliver more for their money on players and get more academy products through the system. 

As Broughton said.

His job is "to deliver the vision of the owners."

This is not to deliver the vision of the fans.

JDT said the same words.

Waggott hasn't said it out loud but his continued employment says he is doing a fantastic job for the owners.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If that’s true and it might be, nobody told JDT.

If nobody told JDT, we have a problem.

JDT knew the job, he referenced the fact we need to build a sustainable club built on 'adding value' through developing signings, and developing the youth. He knows we have a limited budget, he's acknowledged that a few times. GB also called it a healthy budget, so we aren't skint, as thr signings of Brittain and Szmodics have proved. 

The problem seems to be we can't attract players to the club who the manager wants - Anel, Davies, Giles. JVPH (?). Khadra (?)

JDT can rightly say that isn't his job. He can then lay the responsibility for the team's failings at the feet of DoF. This seems to be where we are at. So JDT is essentially blaming his boss, who in turn is avoiding all responsibility by refusing interviews. 

A strong CEO would step in at this point....

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 1

Just now, BigBar said:

I'm optimistic we add 4 or 5 decent players, yeah I would have liked them in sooner but I think that's how we operate. Anyone else think the same or you think we are gonna get shafted?

I honestly think that the market we operate in, it will be the last day and I expect our business to be down. It could be the difference in getting an extra player in so I can see the argument for it. I have faith in Gregg to get the right players in.

Talking of van hecke.  The Sunderland fans messageboard is full of arrogant tw*ts. Calling us a tiny club compared to theirs. What the fuck have they ever achieved in 80 or 90 years. Complete non entity club. They're like a poundland Newcastle 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, imy9 said:

I honestly think that the market we operate in, it will be the last day and I expect our business to be down. It could be the difference in getting an extra player in so I can see the argument for it. I have faith in Gregg to get the right players in.

Based on this I think going into future windows my expectation is going to be less. I think this is how we will constantly operate in windows. 1 or 2 to appease fans midway through and then the bulk of it at the end.

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Talking of van hecke.  The Sunderland fans messageboard is full of arrogant tw*ts. Calling us a tiny club compared to theirs. What the fuck have they ever achieved in 80 or 90 years. Complete non entity club. They're like a poundland Newcastle 

They have a similar record in terms of trophies, granted ours was more recent eith the prem win and league Cup. They are a big club and possibly viewed as a bugger club than us. They do have a better support which may go for them. Other than that we are pretty much on same level.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

In terms of fan base, they have a much bigger one than ours in fairness. 
Granted they have a bigger population and catchment area like!

• Like 4

Can't recall being this p*ssed off about rovers in some time. To watch that and discover Van Hecke is off elsewhere, absolutely furious. The early results have obviously masked some serious issues and now the club is going to be panicking now realising how much of a rebuild job needs to be done after trying to do it on the cheap with youngsters. 

We lack pace, creativity, bite and experience in midfield, a decent left back and 2 centre halves. To sign Morton and state that was all they were going to sign for our centre mid is absolutely astounding. We have way too many nicey nicey tip tapy players in there. 

Yesterday and Wednesday was embarrassing. They don't just need bodies in the door, they need proven quality and that f*ckin costs money, not more questionable signings like Sammie Szmodics. 

A massive remaining window for Greg Broughton here because if he gets this wrong the fans will really draw a line in the sand and assume certain things about him that he will struggle change. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 7

WTF is going on?

Broughton needs to get his finger out or we’re going to be in big trouble. Pickering isn’t up to the task in hand, and i’m still not convinced with Edun either yet

Phillips has potential but he’s not quite there so perhaps it’s been a wake up call for him?

Top price season tickets for a possible relegation scrap, 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Im trying to remain optimistic whilst the window remains open.

After two painful defeats, emotion always kicks in, and the old wounds are reopened.

I've never bought into some peoples opinions that I read/heard over the close season that we had better players in waiting in the likes of Carter, Phillips, Wharton, Vale, Garrett etc than the ones which had left the building. I'm not sure if they were trying to convince themselves or others.

Football is about winning, not about having a player you can put out there and say, he's great, he is one of our own, whilst the team continues to go backwards on a whole.

I've also not bought into this reset button, we are on a journey for another 3 or 4 seasons. We've been on a journey for the last 5 seasons which ended with us finishing 8th last season.

As each season passes our transfer/wage budget becomes far more less competitive. Gibbs-white transfer this week at over £40 million including add-ons really puts into perspective how far we are behind in being competitive in the market.

Next summer that player who goes for 5 million this summer will be 12 million, everything is going up, but we continue to set wage budgets which are in no mans land. I dont know the answer, we dont generate enough revenue through tickets, sponsorship, TV, whilst player sales historically has serviced the deficits in what it cost for us to operate each season.

We are much weaker than last season, and what we've signed to date is just honest pro's, but not groundbreaking players who will get you off your seat, or realistically have a massive sell on value.

I don't currently see in our squad those players who get you off your seat. Who can beat four or 5 players, stick defenders on their asses with skill.

The total lack of creativity in this squad is very worrying, and thats before we look at how we address the thin bare defence.

The facts are, we cannot prop this up with the academy players, however ever promising we try to convince ourselves.

We are very much in danger in some areas of the supporter base of conditioning ourselves to be greatful that we exist, and to settle for anything which is dished up.

I'm uncomfortable that our short term future has been handed to one man in GB who no-one can speak to, and to date a bit like the managerial search it could be a tale of what could/should of been.

JDT seems a very nice chap, very honest, but also appears powerless in who/what/when in terms of recruitment.

Gary Bowyer was a nice guy "giving it a right good go", however whilst very concerned on recruitment, i'm equally concerned by our lack of identity in these first 5 games. 9 points does not tell the real tale. We've created very little and the football has been dross.

My opinion may not be similar to others, of which I respect also. However right now, looking at my list of concerns, i'm struggling to see which concern is greater, as this list is growing and not getting shorter

The answer is in the hands of our very rich owners. They have the power and financial clout to steer us onto a better course. 

• Like 5