BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Colin Bell, Bobby Kerr, Alec Lindsay.....top class players all discovered by "little" Bury. 

I remember Shankly talking about Lindsay and commenting on the strong pessimism ingrained in the player which had to be knocked out of him.............which Shankly did do in time.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Still living in the past Jim. Football has move on massive in terns of scouting Opportunities and bring in players 

Mercer, I am fully aware of when the transfer window. 

Play in different positions so not a right comparison 

It read to me like he was just asking you to think and use your imagination for a giggle at the thought of those old school man managers using these modern football systems.

It's called a humour! Abstract thinking clearly isnt something that you're capable of though. 

And flippin eck are you really also not capable of double checking your posts for errors occasionally! Especially if you're going to be mocking people and replying to them in a patronising way

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

It’s bad, it’s very bad, and I’ve been vocal about it prior to the last two batterings…. But I never thought I’d see people crowing over Jacob Davenport. If ever a player screamed “looking ahead to L1 not the the PL” it would have been keeping him on.
He just got rejected from Hearts after a trial. He is not the answer to getting us in that top 6

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, J*B said:

I just can’t see him staying. Nice have already bid, there’s rumoured to be plenty of teams interested, it’s getting close to the deadline. I reckon he’s either gone or left out pending a transfer by next week. Just my thoughts. I actually think - subject to being able to spend money - it’s for the best. 

Stating the bleedin' obvious but there's only ten days of the transfer window to go even if he went tomorrow.  If he were to be sold at the last minute and a crappy last minute replacement is brought in, possibly on loan, I think we go down.

We couldn't find an adequate Armstrong replacement with an entire month left of the window this time last year, why would it be any easier this time round?

1 hour ago, J*B said:

3 minimum needed this week, four before the end of the window. I don’t think we need two centre backs, I would be happy going into the season with Ayala, Carter, Wharton and Phillips if the intention is to play a back 4. 

I don’t rate Pickering and rate Edun even less at left back / left wing back. I’m concerning Brittain doesn’t have suitable back up, JRC can’t play right back or right wing back either. 

Centre Midfield we need another enforcer. If Travis gets injured we will have the smallest and weakest central midfield in the league. 

We either need a striker or a winger, depending where he’s playing Gallagher. I can see Gally scoring if he’s playing as a nine, but that means another winger. 

So I’d like to see…

Starting Left Back 

Back up right back 

Central Midfielder (is that guy still at Barnsley?)

Winger

With a statement left forward lined up for when Ben goes. I don’t think he plays for Rovers again. 

Absolutely baffling to see anyone saying we don't need to sign a CB. The last week has shown emphatically that it's the number one priority. Thankfully the manager seems to agree.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Absolutely baffling to see anyone saying we don't need to sign a CB. The last week has shown emphatically that it's the number one priority. Thankfully the manager seems to agree.

stating the obvious and it's probably been repeated  a 1000 times on here now, But we need two new centre backs ...one being a quality permanent addition that can go straight into the starting 11 and another on a loan or short term deal as back up (ideally somebody with plenty of championship experience)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

3 minimum needed this week, four before the end of the window. I don’t think we need two centre backs, I would be happy going into the season with Ayala, Carter, Wharton and Phillips if the intention is to play a back 4. 

I don’t rate Pickering and rate Edun even less at left back / left wing back. I’m concerning Brittain doesn’t have suitable back up, JRC can’t play right back or right wing back either. 

Centre Midfield we need another enforcer. If Travis gets injured we will have the smallest and weakest central midfield in the league. 

We either need a striker or a winger, depending where he’s playing Gallagher. I can see Gally scoring if he’s playing as a nine, but that means another winger. 

So I’d like to see…

Starting Left Back 

Back up right back 

Central Midfielder (is that guy still at Barnsley?)

Winger

With a statement left forward lined up for when Ben goes. I don’t think he plays for Rovers again. 

Surely a striker prior to a Brereton sale is what we need before a wide man. 

Even if anyone thinks that Gallagher would score regularly as a 9 which to me is a big stretch, unless Brereton is moved there are no real alternatives, Vale is miles away and otherwise its more false 9s 

There seems to be even less cohesion in attack than before with Gallagher on the right and players like Hedges and Szmodics playing most centrally.

I would agree about reservations over Edun and Rankin Costello (chuck Pears in too) even as squad members and Phillips isnt ready either. I get to an extent maybe not needing 2 CB's but surely you wouldnt advocate getting 0, unless Van Den Berg is assumed?

4 minutes ago, den said:

We need at least two quality strikers NOW, before Brereton goes. IMO.

It won’t happen. We won’t even get one.

Seems Villa could be loaning out archer.  With teams not wanting them to go to the same club (or that's the line we've been fed on the JPVH shite) perhaps a good option young Archer.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

I cannot understand why we didn't offer another contract to Jacob Davenport, even for 12 months. Whenever he played I thought he was reasonable and always gave his all for the cause. 

Pretty high wages for what he offered, no better than Jake Garrett and less available, there’s a reason Reading and Hearts didn’t want him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, den said:

We need at least two quality strikers NOW, before Brereton goes. IMO.

It won’t happen. We won’t even get one.

i think at least one solid defender has to be the priority first or we will carry on shipping goals for fun, definitely need another centre forward if we want to push on after that though.

that said, even clear cut chances are few and far between so more creativity is also needed just as much as a cf.

lets be honest we really need to strengthen every area of the pitch if we seriously want to step up to the next level! we even need a better stand in for Kaminski imo.

• Like 1

RE why I’m not sure on another central defender, we already have four to keep happy and give game time.

There’s dangers - Ayala gets injured, Carter is unproven at this level, Phillips is a kid… but if you’re signing a fifth that means when all are fit, you’ve got three centre backs not playing.

I think we’re invested in Carter now, Pompy loved him in League One, so for me he’s earnt his right to be behind Ayala and Wharton. If we don’t tell Phillips he’s around the first team squad then he may as well sign for Spurs, that’s our trump card. 

So who do we bring in? Sepp, who’s clearly a good player, but we can’t guarantee him any games and signing him would stop the progress of our own two youngsters, Carter and Phillips. 

Yes, if we can somehow sign JVH - or similar - I think we make an allowance for that as he would instantly become our first choice Centre back. 

I guess what I’m saying is we’re in a tricky position at centre half and whilst I’m not against signing a new one, for me it’s only worth signing either 1) a stand out, first choice centre back or 2) a Loanee happy to play occasionally and be behind Carter at least and Phillips potentially as well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Stating the bleedin' obvious but there's only ten days of the transfer window to go even if he went tomorrow.  If he were to be sold at the last minute and a crappy last minute replacement is brought in, possibly on loan, I think we go down.

We couldn't find an adequate Armstrong replacement with an entire month left of the window this time last year, why would it be any easier this time round?

I think we’d sign a replacement if we got decent money - what was the left forward called at Malmo we where rumoured to be interested in? I know it’s only one game but the Dingles have signed Tello(?) and he scored two at weekend, the one where he brought it down on his chest was very BBD like. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would not oppose to a new left back but Pickering certainly isnt woeful. He was very steady in the first 3 games and has been no worse than Brittain in the last 2.

Whilst I agree with what you’ve said I’m far more worried about him winning his battles than Brittain. He’s not fast and he’s not physical, having neither of those traits makes it very hard to be a problem for any half decent winger. You can just knock it down the line and skipped past him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J*B said:

RE why I’m not sure on another central defender, we already have four to keep happy and give game time.

There’s dangers - Ayala gets injured, Carter is unproven at this level, Phillips is a kid… but if you’re signing a fifth that means when all are fit, you’ve got three centre backs not playing.

I think we’re invested in Carter now, Pompy loved him in League One, so for me he’s earnt his right to be behind Ayala and Wharton. If we don’t tell Phillips he’s around the first team squad then he may as well sign for Spurs, that’s our trump card. 

So who do we bring in? Sepp, who’s clearly a good player, but we can’t guarantee him any games and signing him would stop the progress of our own two youngsters, Carter and Phillips. 

Yes, if we can somehow sign JVH - or similar - I think we make an allowance for that as he would instantly become our first choice Centre back. 

I guess what I’m saying is we’re in a tricky position at centre half and whilst I’m not against signing a new one, for me it’s only worth signing either 1) a stand out, first choice centre back or 2) a Loanee happy to play occasionally and be behind Carter at least and Phillips potentially as well. 

The good thing about Sepp is that he is equally as good as a RB, so he can cover there too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J*B said:

Yeah, if we are playing 2 CB's it'll be tricky to keep 5 happy.

Also, by the time we actually get round to signing anyone, Wharton will be back fit anyway!