BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

The talk of Ayala playing up top got me thinking - could we have a xi of players completely out of position (joking aside for the likes of Pears in goal and Gally RW)? I can think of the following:

GK - Smallwood, albeit forced. 

RWB - Dolan had a go there I believe.

CB - Johnson

False 9 - Johnson - double duty

RW - Giles

ST - Ayala

Surely there's some more? 

11 minutes ago, alex l said:

The talk of Ayala playing up top got me thinking - could we have a xi of players completely out of position (joking aside for the likes of Pears in goal and Gally RW)? I can think of the following:

GK - Smallwood, albeit forced. 

RWB - Dolan had a go there I believe.

CB - Johnson

False 9 - Johnson - double duty

RW - Giles

ST - Ayala

Surely there's some more? 

Johnson in general being picked

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gally, having a short spell at right back was the most jaw dropping.

That was at least during a game when all the subs had been used, right?

I'm Mowbray's biggest critic, but I'm ok with emergency positional changes like that. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

very good news this. Lets hope it happens and it good news that the owners are backing JDT. 

Ayala's interest from Spain is still there

Spanish side retain interest in Blackburn Rovers defender Daniel Ayala | Lancashire Telegraph

I'd let him go for a minimal fee - he's a fantastic Championship CB, when he's fit. He's just never fit.

It would release a huge chunk of wages too. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

That was at least during a game when all the subs had been used, right?

I'm Mowbray's biggest critic, but I'm ok with emergency positional changes like that. 

You wouldn’t normally put your striker there though. What skills had he got that suited him for that role ? Like most strikers any tackle they make in the area usually ends up in a pen these days. Shuffle things around a bit ok but not that.

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So nothing we don't already know then. 

I do hope Broughton and JDT play things close to their chest because that's not a lot of transfer news for 2 weeks in the job. 

Well He reported that the owners are willing to back JDT in the signing of Anel Ahmedhodzic. We didn't know this. 

I don't know why you expect lot of transfer news when JDT and GB had said they wanted to assess the squad in Portugal and see what options where already at the club. 

I expect a couple of transfer moves in the couple of weeks but given that we are only looking at 6 signings its important we get the right ones. 

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd let him go for a minimal fee - he's a fantastic Championship CB, when he's fit. He's just never fit.

It would release a huge chunk of wages too. 

I would just let him go for free just to get his wages off the wage bill

We've lost 2 important CBs already this summer. We shouldn't even entertain letting another go until we've brought some replacements in.

This squad is short on proven experience. I'd be very careful about more leave under the guise of further cuts to the wage bill that won't be reinvested, just like the millions saved since last year hasn't been under the guise of FFP.

• Like 4

To remain competitive, we really cannot afford to lose any players until some backs are signed. I can wait until the team returns home. I assume GB & JDT are not asleep in this regard. 

Of course, the one guy we probably lose that would stand to bolster the squad is BB-D. Whether or not owners invest some of that in players, who knows. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gally, having a short spell at right back was the most jaw dropping.

If we think back to when he had a larger squad Mowbray often took the piss on many levels just to try and keep players involved. 

I sincerely hope we've moved on from that now, integrating youth is one thing but moving your favs around the team is another all together.

• Like 3

Wasn't Ayala fit for the back end of the season but just not picked ?

I forget if that was the case but think it might have been, the guy is a class defender but was always unlikely to offer much value for money.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

To remain competitive, we really cannot afford to lose any players until some backs are signed. I can wait until the team returns home. I assume GB & JDT are not asleep in this regard. 

Of course, the one guy we probably lose that would stand to bolster the squad is BB-D. Whether or not owners invest some of that in players, who knows. 

If JDT and Broughton want to rebuild this squad then moving Ayala and Brereton on is the quickest way to do it. 

Assuming the owners haven't lied to our new dynamic duo, they'll be able to use the funds to reshape the squad in their image.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We've lost 2 important CBs already this summer. We shouldn't even entertain letting another go until we've brought some replacements in.

This squad is short on proven experience. I'd be very careful about more leave under the guise of further cuts to the wage bill that won't be reinvested, just like the millions saved since last year hasn't been under the guise of FFP.

would you want 2 centre back replacements in for Lenihan and Van Hecke or would you use Hayden Carter as one of the replacements for one of them. 

I think we should be more able to use Ayala's wages better for players who are going to be fit enough to make more of an impact than he has done here. 

What would be your opinion if we spent 3 million pounds on Anel Ahmedhodzic? 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

They’re more than happy to let Ayala go. Doesn’t fit with the plans….too slow.

Seems a fair assumption moreso down to fitness than speed, he isn't available enough.

If it is implied that this has come from someone internal, I don't know how I would feel if this sort of talk was being leaked via gossip to random fans!

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Bloody hope so, what a waste of a wage he's been.

Mowbray shouldn't have completely disregarded his recruitment as he was evidently proved wrong - what a crock

Did he? Seems like an assumption with an agenda to put failed signings down to Mowbray "disregarding" his recruitment department.

Mowbray was the manager and he takes the responsibility for ALL signings under his tenure, good and bad, with the recruitment department merely working to help him. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

would you want 2 centre back replacements in for Lenihan and Van Hecke or would you use Hayden Carter as one of the replacements for one of them. 

I think we should be more able to use Ayala's wages better for players who are going to be fit enough to make more of an impact than he has done here. 

If Ayala goes, we DEFINITELY need 2 centre backs as we would only be left with 2.

If we spend £3m that would be very welcome but equally it will be a small fraction of the Brereton money, disregarding the previous Armstrong sale.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We've heard all this before. 

The money doesn't get reinvested.

We slashed the wage bill last summer and did hardly anything instead blaming FFP rules. Now you think they're going to reinvest Ayala's wages if they get rid?

In my humble opinion all that happens is we go into the loan market and lose an experienced CB. Dangerous game.

In an ideal world we'd have kept Lenihan and Van Hecke, offload Ayala and reinvest his wages into a couple of quality free agents but we don't live in an ideal world thanks to Venkys incompetence.

I'd be very surprised and pleased if we spent £3 million on anyone this summer. It isn't going to happen. They want fans to believe it might though. Talk is cheap.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

We've heard all this before. 

The money doesn't get reinvested.

We slashed the wage bill last summer and did hardly anything instead blaming FFP rules. Now you think they're going to reinvest Ayala's wages if they get rid?

In my humble opinion all that happens is we go into the loan market and lose an experienced CB. Dangerous game.

In an ideal world we'd have kept Lenihan and Van Hecke, offload Ayala and reinvest his wages into a couple of quality free agents but we don't live in an ideal world thanks to Venkys incompetence.

I'd be very surprised and pleased if we spent £3 million on anyone this summer. It isn't going to happen. They want fans to believe it might though. Talk is cheap.

Personally I think the taps were turned off on Mowbray.

The Venkys have spent money when properly motivated (£5m for Gallagher, £7m for Brereton). 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If JDT and Broughton want to rebuild this squad then moving Ayala and Brereton on is the quickest way to do it. 

Assuming the owners haven't lied to our new dynamic duo, they'll be able to use the funds to reshape the squad in their image.

Agreed. As others have said, Ayala is a player…. When he’s fit. He’s rarely fit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Ayala goes, we DEFINITELY need 2 centre backs as we would only be left with 2.

well that's your opinion whilst I would like to see where Tyler Maglorie and Ash Phillips are before we sign more than one. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If we spend £3m that would be very welcome but equally it will be a small fraction of the Brereton money, disregarding the previous Armstrong sale.

I'm explained several times where the Adam Armstrong went. So I not going to keep going over it. At present Ben Brereton hasn't left and we don't know what will happen if the future.