BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Personally I think the taps were turned off on Mowbray.

The Venkys have spent money when properly motivated (£5m for Gallagher, £7m for Brereton). 

If that was the case, then it is an absolute farcical way to run a football club. If they don't trust the manager, the logical thing to do is sack him but the reinvestment in assets needs to be continuous regardless. As it happens, the £15m investment in 3 players will likely lead to doubling that investment so there is no logic behind specifically not trusting him either.

I suspect that theory is a little farfetched and thinking too much into it personally.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

well that's your opinion whilst I would like to see where Tyler Maglorie and Ash Phillips are before we sign more than one. 

I'm explained several times where the Adam Armstrong went. So I not going to keep going over it. At present Ben Brereton hasn't left and we don't know what will happen if the future. 

Tyler Magloire?! Is that a joke, he is absolutely shocking. If he is anywhere near the squad this season then it is time to seriously worry.

I haven't asked you to give your take/opinion on the Armstrong money disappearance, so don't worry about it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If that was the case, then it is an absolute farcical way to run a football club. If they don't trust the manager, the logical thing to do is sack him but the reinvestment in assets needs to be continuous regardless. As it happens, the £15m investment in 3 players will likely lead to doubling that investment so there is no logic behind specifically not trusting him either.

I suspect that theory is a little farfetched and thinking too much into it personally.

Of course it's a farcical way to run a football club - have you not been paying attention for the last 12 years?

They're the worst owners in all of football. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We've heard all this before. 

The money doesn't get reinvested.

We slashed the wage bill last summer and did hardly anything instead blaming FFP rules. Now you think they're going to reinvest Ayala's wages if they get rid?

In my humble opinion all that happens is we go into the loan market and lose an experienced CB. Dangerous game.

In an ideal world we'd have kept Lenihan and Van Hecke, offload Ayala and reinvest his wages into a couple of quality free agents but we don't live in an ideal world thanks to Venkys incompetence.

I'd be very surprised and pleased if we spent £3 million on anyone this summer. It isn't going to happen. They want fans to believe it might though. Talk is cheap.

Yes we did see the wage bill cut but that also came with younger squad meaning less money. I also think the owners had no faith Mowbray producing promotion and they weren't willing to back him enough with money. Meaning Mowbray was left with a budget he got. 

I think the owners will see JDT and the reaction from the fans towards him and Gregg Broughton appointments has a massive positive and they will back them sensible. 

I would be very happy with the signing Anel Ahmedhodzic and I think the owners would back JDT and GB with money for this type of signing. 

I seen us signing a couple of players for fees and maybe a couple of loans whilst bringing in a few young players from the under 23's into the first team squad for this season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tyler Magloire?! Is that a joke, he is absolutely shocking. If he is anywhere near the squad this season then it is time to seriously worry.

I haven't asked you to give your take/opinion on the Armstrong money disappearance, so don't worry about it.

The Armstrong money (once Newcastle had received their chunk) went a small way towards the gaping black hole that is our operational costs, particularly so after the Covid ‘no crowds’ era.

According to TM, some funds were available to him last season and he chose not to use them all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well that's your opinion whilst I would like to see where Tyler Maglorie and Ash Phillips are before we sign more than one. 

I'm explained several times where the Adam Armstrong went. So I not going to keep going over it. At present Ben Brereton hasn't left and we don't know what will happen if the future. 

Magloire?! Jesus Christ Chaddy have you not seen him play. Plus Phillips is 17 years old and probably needs a loan first. If Ayala goes we have to get at least one centre back with a lot of experience in, If we spend 3 million on the Bosnian then excellent but we’d also for me need to bring an older battle hardened championship defender in too. Basically a fit version of Ayala to replace Ayala and then the Bosnian lad to replace Lenihan 👍🏻

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alex l said:

The talk of Ayala playing up top got me thinking - could we have a xi of players completely out of position (joking aside for the likes of Pears in goal and Gally RW)? I can think of the following:

GK - Smallwood, albeit forced. 

RWB - Dolan had a go there I believe.

CB - Johnson

False 9 - Johnson - double duty

RW - Giles

ST - Ayala

Surely there's some more? 

Left back Bennet 

I also remember Downing being the furthest player forward at one point. I couldn't tell you what position it was cos the formation made no sense. I think we may have been playing a box midfield (TMs words) or something like that. It almost like we were playing with wide forwards and no centre forward 

Edited by RoverDom
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would it be a joke? 

No it isn't time to be seriously worry at all but actually believe that JDT and the staff here actually know what they are doing and know he can been capable of performing at this stage. 

You mention when it no relevance to the points I was making, 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

The Armstrong money (once Newcastle had received their chunk) went a small way towards the gaping black hole that is our operational costs, particularly so after the Covid ‘no crowds’ era.

According to TM, some funds were available to him last season and he chose not to use them all.

When did Mowbray say this?

Reinvestment of a fraction of the Armstrong money would have allowed us to continue a potential process that Mowbray regularly mentioned, buying players, selling at a profit, reinvesting a percentage and so on. Spending nothing at all last summer upon receipt of the Armstrong money will eventually halt this process.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we did see the wage bill cut but that also came with younger squad meaning less money. I also think the owners had no faith Mowbray producing promotion and they weren't willing to back him enough with money. Meaning Mowbray was left with a budget he got. 

I think the owners will see JDT and the reaction from the fans towards him and Gregg Broughton appointments has a massive positive and they will back them sensible. 

I would be very happy with the signing Anel Ahmedhodzic and I think the owners would back JDT and GB with money for this type of signing. 

I seen us signing a couple of players for fees and maybe a couple of loans whilst bringing in a few young players from the under 23's into the first team squad for this season

Assuming this farfetched theory that Venkys stopped funding because they didn't trust Mowbray, which I personally think is a load of bollocks.

Do you think it is normal for owners to lose trust in a manager yet keep him on albeit with no money to work with? Yes or no.

Do you think Mowbray's record in the transfer market, particularly his main 3 signings, of which 2 will double that investment, warrant that lack of faith?

I am not even sure if a £3m buy (if it happens, big if) would be "backing" the manager. Brereton will go for £15m or whatever, as far as I am concerned spending £5m/6m on 2 or 3 assets would be reasonable to continue the process of trying to profit from assets, keeping the rest to help offset losses. Problem is with these dickhead owners, even if they do that this summer, give it a year or 2 and they will suddenly turn the taps off again and we are back to square one, its how they work.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why would it be a joke? 

No it isn't time to be seriously worry at all but actually believe that JDT and the staff here actually know what they are doing and know he can been capable of performing at this stage. 

You mention when it no relevance to the points I was making, 

Because he is bloody awful! 

Stop reverting back to questioning my trust in a manager who hasn't managed a game yet. If he involves Magloire regularly then I certainly will lose trust in him because he certainly isn't capable of performing at this stage. I am almost certain though that Tomasson will have enough common sense NOT to have him regularly in the squad.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

When did Mowbray say this?

Reinvestment of a fraction of the Armstrong money would have allowed us to continue a potential process that Mowbray regularly mentioned, buying players, selling at a profit, reinvesting a percentage and so on. Spending nothing at all last summer upon receipt of the Armstrong money will eventually halt this process.

Assuming this farfetched theory that Venkys stopped funding because they didn't trust Mowbray, which I personally think is a load of bollocks.

Do you think it is normal for owners to lose trust in a manager yet keep him on albeit with no money to work with? Yes or no.

Do you think Mowbray's record in the transfer market, particularly his main 3 signings, of which 2 will double that investment, warrant that lack of faith?

I am not even sure if a £3m buy (if it happens, big if) would be "backing" the manager. Brereton will go for £15m or whatever, as far as I am concerned spending £5m/6m on 2 or 3 assets would be reasonable to continue the process of trying to profit from assets, keeping the rest to help offset losses. Problem is with these dickhead owners, even if they do that this summer, give it a year or 2 and they will suddenly turn the taps off again and we are back to square one, its how they work.

Well I’d have gladly stopped funding him. 

6 minutes ago, Butty said:

Magloire?! Jesus Christ Chaddy have you not seen him play. Plus Phillips is 17 years old and probably needs a loan first. If Ayala goes we have to get at least one centre back with a lot of experience in, If we spend 3 million on the Bosnian then excellent but we’d also for me need to bring an older battle hardened championship defender in too. Basically a fit version of Ayala to replace Ayala and then the Bosnian lad to replace Lenihan 👍🏻

Yes I have seen him play thanks Butty but JDT and Rovers took him to Portugal and maybe he has improved since his loan spell. 

I would have Ash Phillips be part of our first team squad this season as I have said previously 

Considering we had an option to buy Zeefuik there must be some funds available. There could also be a deal in place for Brereton pending we sign the right replacements. Hopefully they’ll figure out the letter’s future soon so we can get on one way or the other. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well I’d have gladly stopped funding him. 

Did Mowbray's transfer record warrant a sudden halt of funding? Especially on the main 3 for £15m, of which that has already been recouped with a similar receipt imminent.

But the main point of all, is if a normal owner loses faith in a manager, surely he bloody gets sacked, not retained on even less of a budget!

It's a theory I don't go along with anyway, but if there is any truth in it, it highlights Venkys as even bigger idiots than initially thougj.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I have seen him play thanks Butty but JDT and Rovers took him to Portugal and maybe he has improved since his loan spell. 

I would have Ash Phillips be part of our first team squad this season as I have said previously 

We had to take enough numbers so literally basically everyone left contracted went seeing as so many players have left. If they had needed anymore, they would have had to take some of the womens team!

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did Mowbray's transfer record warrant a sudden halt of funding? Especially on the main 3 for £15m, of which that has already been recouped with a similar receipt imminent.

But the main point of all, is if a normal owner loses faith in a manager, surely he bloody gets sacked, not retained on even less of a budget!

It's a theory I don't go along with anyway, but if there is any truth in it, it highlights Venkys as even bigger idiots than initially thougj.

We had to take enough numbers so literally basically everyone left contracted went seeing as so many players have left. If they had needed anymore, they would have had to take some of the womens team!

You can’t underestimate the Chokers level of idiocy .

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Considering we had an option to buy Zeefuik there must be some funds available. There could also be a deal in place for Brereton pending we sign the right replacements. Hopefully they’ll figure out the letter’s future soon so we can get on one way or the other. 

Maybe it was only a realistic proposition upon promotion.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well the same thing happened to Gary Bowyer. 

Mowbray had more than backing from our owners including last season. 

Yes, cos results didn't match the investment and the quality of the squad especially in season 20/21 when we had massive first team squad including players like Adam Armstrong and Harvey Elliott. He should have got us promotion that season not a lower mid table finish. 

Last season he still signed some good loans players and still have quality in the squad but Mowbray somehow managed to balls up a chance of promotion by his stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt formations and style of play. We were second after the January transfer window closed and we miss out on playoffs. Unacceptable and I'm pleased his contract wasn't renewed here cos his time was up. 

I am not even sure if a £3m buy (if it happens, big if) would be "backing" the manager. Brereton will go for £15m or whatever, as far as I am concerned spending £5m/6m on 2 or 3 assets would be reasonable to continue the process of trying to profit from assets, keeping the rest to help offset losses. 

The owners have always backed most managers will money at the start of the spell. They back them if they are successful. I'm sure that GB and JDT have a proper plan as we seen mention this being a project and how they will do it. I'm looking forward to it

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not really. They took some of our good promising players like Jake Batty, Sam Barnes, Jordan Eastham, Jack Vale, Ash Phillips, Jake Garrett and Harry Leonard. All very talented and players I think will be first team squad either this season or next season. 

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

elliot bennett at left back and to a lesser extent right back,even though he was one paced,could`nt tackle and generally lacked the skills to play there,absolutely used to do my nut in

Johnson as CF also stands out as insanity 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

We've heard all this before. 

The money doesn't get reinvested.

We slashed the wage bill last summer and did hardly anything instead blaming FFP rules. Now you think they're going to reinvest Ayala's wages if they get rid?

In my humble opinion all that happens is we go into the loan market and lose an experienced CB. Dangerous game.

In an ideal world we'd have kept Lenihan and Van Hecke, offload Ayala and reinvest his wages into a couple of quality free agents but we don't live in an ideal world thanks to Venkys incompetence.

I'd be very surprised and pleased if we spent £3 million on anyone this summer. It isn't going to happen. They want fans to believe it might though. Talk is cheap.

We weren't going to sign Ayala in the first place according to you.We did 

We weren't going to pay a fee for a goalkeeper and it would be another loan.We did

This summer the Dof would be an internal appointment.It wasn't 

This summer Mowbray's replacement was going to a Grayson or an Adkins.It was'nt 

They paid the money out to bring Brererton and Gallagher in the first place, agreed to the managers demand that the ageing players from the league one promotion squad were rewarded with new deals.

You cannot say with any certainty that no money will be spent this summer.Have the taps been turned off the last couple of seasons?Most definitely.

Have Venkys done this before were they have spent money turned the taps off then turned them back on again.

I fail to believe JDT would have agreed to come here without the promise of any funds to replace the 6/7 players from last year's starting 11 and would be reliant on the academy or loans only.

I agree it's no way to run a football club but makes me laugh how you keep saying this and that won't happen only to proven wrong and then you come out with something else making out you have a better understanding of what goes on at the club and anyone who thinks they may spend some money is stupid 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the same thing happened to Gary Bowyer. 

Mowbray had more than backing from our owners including last season. 

Yes, cos results didn't match the investment and the quality of the squad especially in season 20/21 when we had massive first team squad including players like Adam Armstrong and Harvey Elliott. He should have got us promotion that season not a lower mid table finish. 

Last season he still signed some good loans players and still have quality in the squad but Mowbray somehow managed to balls up a chance of promotion by his stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt formations and style of play. We were second after the January transfer window closed and we miss out on playoffs. Unacceptable and I'm pleased his contract wasn't renewed here cos his time was up. 

The owners have always backed most managers will money at the start of the spell. They back them if they are successful. I'm sure that GB and JDT have a proper plan as we seen mention this being a project and how they will do it. I'm looking forward to it

Not really. They took some of our good promising players like Jake Batty, Sam Barnes, Jordan Eastham, Jack Vale, Ash Phillips, Jake Garrett and Harry Leonard. All very talented and players I think will be first team squad either this season or next season. 

You've gone way off on a tangent. It should be simple for any owners.

Do I trust the manager?

Yes - carry on funding constructively.

No - sack

Anyone normalising such warped thinking is crazy.

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We weren't going to sign Ayala in the first place according to you.We did 

We weren't going to pay a fee for a goalkeeper and it would be another loan.We did

This summer the Dof would be an internal appointment.It wasn't 

This summer Mowbray's replacement was going to a Grayson or an Adkins.It was'nt 

good points made there

• Like 1