BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Would rather go Ainsworth or Warne than Deila, personally. 

Deila doesn't float my boat either and wouldn't be my choice.

Only consolation is that, IMO, he must be an improvement on the hapless Mowbray as he did a better job than Mowbray at Celtic though having said that, don't think it would be too difficult following the dog's breakfast I think Mowbray was. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

Of course asking the question is his job. Clearly it's been posed but there has been no response. Still, it's not his job to hold them to account. Nobody seems to know what the hell is going on, even the most well-connected of journalists. However, it's the local journalist who takes the abuse on here and on Twitter. It really needs to stop.

The Blackburn Rovers reporter for the LT isn’t expected to hold the club to account? What else is he supposed to do on a working day then?

No wonder the club are allowed to take the piss when the local media have been treating the club with kid gloves for so long.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

whats the point of journalism then,it absolutely is his job to find out whats going on and pose the question "what the hell is actually going on"

He obviously asks but it’s tight as a drum, nothing given away, what’s he supposed to do make up few stories like others..

• Like 2

Had a listen to a bit of this, he seems like a decent bloke and speaks well. Mixed reviews from Celtic fans, brought through some good players and signed a few duds apparently. We could do worse I think, I’m still pulling for Ainsworth out of the names seemingly left in the mix though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, unsall said:

He obviously asks but it’s tight as a drum, nothing given away, what’s he supposed to do make up few stories like others..

Agree that he is asking the questions but not getting anywhere but he is very rarely critical of the club and he should be calling the club out a little, the papers customers a good proportion will be Rovers fans and although I don't don't expect the finer details some sort of comment from the club is in order 

Other journalists in the past have made it their business to find a source/sources.Local journos at other clubs don't publish self opinion pieces daily or yesterday's news 

12 minutes ago, unsall said:

Journalists get 'knowledge' and 'exclusives' through relationships and 'oiling the wheels'!

IMO, Sharpe hasn't a clue what is going on.

A 'clued up' journalist would know what was going on and although unable to fully 'reveal their hand' until the right time would at least be able to give their readers / followers a far sharper insight than what Sharpe does.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

Could we be hijacking Standard Liege's deal for Harkin (DoF) and Deila (HC)? Can't for the life of me understand why, if DoF is already lined up, we haven't made any announcement yet. Really not expecting a 'big name' for the DoF role - a bit of an insult not to announce him/her first.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The Blackburn Rovers reporter for the LT isn’t expected to hold the club to account? What else is he supposed to do on a working day then?

No wonder the club are allowed to take the piss when the local media have been treating the club with kid gloves for so long.

It's like you want the reporter to call a meeting with everyone at the club and give them all a bollocking. Then write an article telling you about the bollocking he gave them to appease you. Sure, ask the difficult questions but he is not the person to raise hell and dish out punishment.

He writes for the local paper. The circle at Rovers is clearly very small and not much comes out. Your second paragraph is reinforcing what I'm saying in that you're starting to lay a portion of blame of the shitshow that is Rovers on the local journalist. That's frustration directed at the journalist, but obviously, rationally, none of this is in the slightest bit the journalists fault.

The fans don't have anyone to engage with at the club so the fans take their frustrations out on the journalist. It gets poisonous, which it never should when it's not his fault.

I banded the delia name a few weeks ago and said at the time it would be an absolute joke appointment. We would be going from one laughing stock of a Celtic manager to another. The fans voted with their feet at Delia’s time there , hates his football and was horrific in Europe. I would much prefer warne or even ainsworth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Journalists get 'knowledge' and 'exclusives' through relationships and 'oiling the wheels'!

IMO, Sharpe hasn't a clue what is going on.

A 'clued up' journalist would know what was going on and although couldn't fully 'reveal their hand' until the right time would at least be able to give their readers / followers a far sharper insight than what Sharpe does.

Sharpe is hand fed info from the club and doesn't want to jeopardise his relationship with the people in charge. He denies stories he knows are wrong, and confirms rumours/stories when given the green light by Rovers - or so it seems at least.

• Backroom
54 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

I find the hammering of the local journos pathetic. Everyone is frustrated with Rovers but aiming abuse at the journos really is low. It is absolutely not the job of the local journalist to hold people at a football club to account. Hold them to account yourself.

It literally IS the job of any journalist to hold to account the people on whom they report.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I banded the delia name a few weeks ago and said at the time it would be an absolute joke appointment. We would be going from one laughing stock of a Celtic manager to another. The fans voted with their feet at Delia’s time there , hates his football and was horrific in Europe. I would much prefer warne or even ainsworth

And how did they do against Midtjylland? The expectations of some of the Celtic/Rangers fans have been on par with those of England fans for the past few decades. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The guy who used to write about my local rugby league team was banned from entering the ground by the clubs directors because he was on their case. He ended up going in through the turnstiles with a false beard and clear glasses.

False beards and glasses is typical Rochdale. Nothing to report there

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It literally IS the job of any journalist to hold to account the people on whom they report.

Really? So not his job to help sell more newspapers? Some journalists do that by holding people to account, eg on the political pages, others do it endlessly promoting people, like on the show biz pages. But the job of both is literally to help drive circulation.

I heard Sharpe say in an interview he doesn’t print anything he hasn’t been able to confirm from two solid sources, like, ummmm, professional journalists do.

38 minutes ago, unsall said:

a decent journo would be on this story like a pitbull with a bone,using all his skills  and contacts to find out the situation,then report the findings,he`s done nothing but rewrite everything thats been said on here😆,sharpe is`nt going to get to fleet street any time soon is he!!!!!!!

There are different types of journos.  Some hold power to account, others don't and report on showjumping or fashion or whatever.

Sharpe is no better or worse than anyone else put in his position, although I think he could be asking why it's taking so long.

• Like 1

Deila isn't someone I'd particularly want, but his record is better than I gave him credit for. Has won the league in every country he's managed in, and whilst those leagues aren't the highest quality, he clearly knows how to drive a team home, which is what we desperately needed in the second half of this season.

Certainly an upgrade on Mowbray in any case.

• Like 3

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Really? So not his job to help sell more newspapers? Some journalists do that by holding people to account, eg on the political pages, others do it endlessly promoting people, like on the show biz pages. But the job of both is literally to help drive circulation.

I heard Sharpe say in an interview he doesn’t print anything he hasn’t been able to confirm from two solid sources, like, ummmm, professional journalists do.

And how do you think the LET could drive circulation? Holding the club to account, including when not given answers? Or limply repeating 3day-old rumours from the internet?

If Sharpe's input was actually interesting, I'd buy the paper or subscribe. As it is we get better info on here than we get from Sharpe.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rover23 said:

What exactly has Ronny Deila done to deserve the Rovers job? 

Did ok in the Norwegian League, moved to Celtic and won the league during a time that their only challengers were Aberdeen.  

Then went back to the Norwegian league and did poorly. After that he goes to the MLS, the retirement village for ex Premier League players. 

NO THANKS. I’d rather have Warne, Ainsworth or even Dunc. 

Deila has better experience than the three coaches you mention - worked with a top club, succeeded in different leagues, and has managed players of a far higher calibre than Ainsworth and warne have. Didn’t Pep Guardiola start at a low level in Spain before success in the MLS? Barring the entirely unrealistic suggestions of Farke and Carvalhal he is the first coach of any substance that we’ve been linked with. I’d be pleased if we got him in, and I would be completely underwhelmed with Ainsworth, Ferguson, or Warne. Tbh we’d have been better off sticking with TM than that motley crew - his recent record is far more impressive than any of them, hell Ferguson has never been appointed manager and he’s now 50.  Sadly I reckon we’ll end up with someone like Woodgate. 

edit - Guardiola never managed at a low level or in the MLS, don’t have any idea where I got that from! But the rest of my post still stands…

Edited by The Hypnotic