BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

• Moderation Lead

Under Allardyce, the football could have been better, but the results overall more than made up for it. It was blatantly obvious that he was the main reason we were able to punch above our weight.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, den said:

It wasn’t hindsight.

Oh it was definitely hindsight, had we employed a Guardiola type etc and competed for Europe no one would have batted an eye lid.

Edited by damo100
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Why don't you ask all the journalists who were writing and posting about it?

Anyhow, don't worry about me - also took a punt on JDT when he was 6/1 and will be handsomely in profit!

Presumably those journalists don't have the appalling 0% track record that you do!

3 minutes ago, damo100 said:

51:49 is a majority, any fans at that time would surely not gave appreciated the football on offer from Sam.

I don't think 51% would be accurate but either way, I certainly appreciated the football personally. Beating Arsenal and drawing with Chelsea and I think United at home, beating Burnley home and away, getting to a semi final, a top half finish, I don't recall being bored.

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Armstrong and Elliott, I will give you. The other three - come on! 

We are losing the captain, (at his peak), Rothwell, and probably Nyambe and Brereton - Diaz.

That’s without taking into consideration the loanees going back, and the DOF and head coach playing catch up already.

My point was that we massively improved last season on the season before despite selling our key asset, seeing loans return and not reinvesting. Surely the point of sacking Mowbray is to progress beyond that 8th which has been the ceiling for him.

The initial posted suggested merit in a potential 15th place finish factoring in "attractive" football. I am not convinced at this stage that we will finish above 15th but I would consider it a big disappointment if we did finish there.

We don't know for sure how much of the Brereton proceeds that we will see, I suspect not much if any but I suppose it can barely be any less!

1 minute ago, damo100 said:

Oh it was definitely hindsight, had we employed a Guardiola txpe etc and competed for Europe no one would have batted an eye lid.

What you are leaving out of the equation is even at that point it was obvious that the owners were completely clueless about professional football. They thought you couldn’t get relegated, they thought that £5 Million would easily get us into Europe. Why would they go for a Guardiola when they had Steve Kean. How smart do you have to be to count chickens ? That’s what they thought about managers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Anyhow, don't worry about me - also took a punt on JDT when he was 6/1 and will be handsomely in profit!

I didn’t see many Journalists suggest we were ever in for Ferguson. The only thing I ever saw in the media was the supposed phone call from Ancelotti, everything else I saw suggested that he wasn’t someone we were looking at.

19 minutes ago, Butty said:

I didn’t see many Journalists suggest we were ever in for Ferguson. The only thing I ever saw in the media was the supposed phone call from Ancelotti, everything else I saw suggested that he wasn’t someone we were looking at.

He knew about that before the journos printed it to be fair.

28 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Hence the Hindsight, cheers for proving my point.

There was no hindsight - as has  been previously pointed out

It was a Brexit moment - the WTF have we done here moment, a gut wrenching, stomach-churning I can't believe it's happened moment, a moment that you knew was a big not-for-the-better turning point, and you just knew it was a bad decision and it was going to end badly

It doesn't need hindsight to see what's right in front of your nose

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I sure you will 😂 😂 😂 

Even after you've balanced it out against the hundreds of bets that you've put on and lost😆😆

Betting addicts do make me laugh and feel sorry fir them at the same time 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Butty said:

For those that where dribbling because Ancelotti supposedly gave Ferguson the thumbs up... JDT has sighted Ancelotti as one of his most influential peers

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What you are leaving out of the equation is even at that point it was obvious that the owners were completely clueless about professional football. They thought you couldn’t get relegated, they thought that £5 Million would easily get us into Europe. Why would they go for a Guardiola when they had Steve Kean. How smart do you have to be to count chickens ? That’s what they thought about managers.

you're now stating the obvious, I think every Rovers fan knows this, however you're not sticking to the original post, instead using patronising posts to serve your own need.

Stick to the point, just ask for help if you're struggling with this?

31 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There was no hindsight - as has  been previously pointed out

It was a Brexit moment - the WTF have we done here moment, a gut wrenching, stomach-churning I can't believe it's happened moment, a moment that you knew was a big not-for-the-better turning point, and you just knew it was a bad decision and it was going to end badly

It doesn't need hindsight to see what's right in front of your nose

Of course it does, at a time when not many realised how poor Venkys were going to be!!

I, and a lot of our fans would have thought at the time Sam was booted a top manager would replace him.

Happy days we move on...

Then Steve Kean steps forward etc.

In HINDSIGHT had Sam been replaced with a competent manager like we all hoped for, the place would be a lot rosier.

I'm struggling to understand your failure to understand this fella?

Edited by damo100
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Armstrong and Elliott, I will give you. The other three - come on! 

We are losing the captain, (at his peak), Rothwell, and probably Nyambe and Brereton - Diaz.

That’s without taking into consideration the loanees going back, and the DOF and head coach playing catch up already.

It's all down-hill after the peak, 1/2 a season Rothwell, Nyambe a definate miss for the medical team, will we miss Brereton or Diaz ?

19 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Starting to get moist about the thought of JDT, not only in profit but it feels like an exciting change.

He's now 1/20 on in the Rovers manager betting.Somebody quoted he's only managed small time clubs, didn't he guide Malmo to back to back titles, who were in the Champions league in the 90s.Can't be 100% sure about the years, some quizmaster will put me right.

8 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

He's now 1/20 on in the Rovers manager betting.Somebody quoted he's only managed small time clubs, didn't he guide Malmo to back to back titles, who were in the Champions league in the 90s.Can't be 100% sure about the years, some quizmaster will put me right.

They were in the champions league this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

My point was that we massively improved last season on the season before despite selling our key asset, seeing loans return and not reinvesting. Surely the point of sacking Mowbray is to progress beyond that 8th which has been the ceiling for him.

We certainly weren’t massively improving from February onwards. 
Yes, of course the point of not renewing Mowbray’s contract should be to find someone who can take us further, within a reasonable timeframe, but you still have to factor all circumstances into the equation.

Even Farke only managed a mid-table finish in his first season at Norwich.

I will grant you that 15th wouldn’t be encouraging.

54 minutes ago, rigger said:

It's all down-hill after the peak, 1/2 a season Rothwell, Nyambe a definate miss for the medical team, will we miss Brereton or Diaz ?

They were all key players for us last season.

They are all set to leave of their own choice, rather than us showing them the door. That’s the context.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Of course it does, at a time when not many realised how poor Venkys were going to be!!

I, and a lot of our fans would have thought at the time Sam was booted a top manager would replace him.

Happy days we move on...

Then Steve Kean steps forward etc.

In HINDSIGHT had Sam been replaced with a competent manager like we all hoped for, the place would be a lot rosier.

I'm struggling to understand your failure to understand this fella?

There were reports they were looking at Maradona a  few days before we sacked Sam, so a competent manager was always going to be doubtful.

Getting rid of him at that point was always risky especially considering a new TV deal was starting 18 months later, giving all clubs an additional £50m+ a year income. 

Also the football was not that bad, we played longer balls under Keen etc afterwards. I remember being 3-0 up at home to Wolves before he was sacked and a load of idiots booing due to him not chasing more goals in the last 10 mins

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damo100 said:

you're now stating the obvious, I think every Rovers fan knows this, however you're not sticking to the original post, instead using patronising posts to serve your own need.

Stick to the point, just ask for help if you're struggling with this?

But that was obvious at the time for those with eyes that see. The owners were clueless, we knew that because they told us so, what chance was there of them getting anything right ? They should have got their feet under the table and at least seen out the season before making any decisions regarding the manager.

17 minutes ago, martonrover said:

They were all key players for us last season.

They are all set to leave of their own choice, rather than us showing them the door. That’s the context.

I am not really bothered what they did last season. I am looking forward to next season, and hopefully getting the best out of everyone that pulls on a Rovers shirt. If that happens I expect us to be in the top 6.