BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

16 hours ago, den said:

We were around halfway up the Premier League.

If we hadn’t sacked him, we wouldn’t have been relegated. It was obvious to some supporters that doing that was a massive gamble. It was a totally needless gamble and it cost us dearly in every way.

We were 3 points off of 6th place when we binned him.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, deanives said:

I know very little about JDT but excited about him coming in, he's not a washed out / monotone manager, he's an exciting young up and coming coach. He seems to come across well in interviews, let's give him a chance and see what he can do.

He'll already have an idea of what he wants to do with the team, he certainly won't be walking in blind and will of done his homework on where he needs to improve the team. Is there any stand out players from his Malmo team that he could go back for?

In case BBD is shown the door, could do worse than loan Colak, plays for PAOK but put 14 goals away in 26 for Malmo on loan last season.

• Like 5

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Tricky said:

In case BBD is shown the door, could do worse than loan Colak, plays for PAOK but put 14 goals away in 26 for Malmo on loan last season.

Loan him anyway, and hopefully get a tune out of Gallagher.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, broadsword said:

We were 3 points off of 6th place when we binned him.

and you think of Mowbray's tortuous and depressing death spirals...............and nothing happens! 

13 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Just looking at Colaks career record though. Looks to have struggled in any half decent leagues and then loaned to a lower league where he has done well. Maybe Championship might be his level though, bundesliga looks a step too far for him

His movement looks very good on that video though. 

Screenshot_20220613-121027_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

This is a good watch/listen. Can’t imagine Mowbray being as forthcoming about his philosophy (or lack thereof). Strikes me as a very modern coach and cultured, which makes a lot of sense when you look at his playing career.

Modern doesn’t necessarily mean “successful,” of course, but if the stars align, it’ll be a genuine pleasure to watch us play cultured *and* successful football.

To play cultured football you need cultured footballers. If they aren’t prepared to get the cheque book out he could be in for a disappointment. The three teams that went up this season  played cultured football most of the time. After that it was the likes of Luton with no money playing ale house football. If you have no money playing in  a more direct style is your only hope.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheKitGuy said:

Bit depressing that fella 

Yes, but when you reach a certain age you get the feeling there's not long left. Sands of time and all that. I want us to get back where we belong before it's too late. It's why last season so disappointing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, but when you reach a certain age you get the feeling there's not long left. Sands of time and all that. I want us to get back where we belong before it's too late. It's why last season so disappointing

I’m resigned to never getting back to the top level. It’s an almost task with this lot in charge. We’ve as much chance of being relegated as being promoted.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Somebody's been at Wiki already!

Personally, I'm not getting excited until I see him holding a Rovers scarf aloft. I remember similar with Warnock.

image.png.1593980b23b17c13bec028ec77cc8dbb.png

Someone did that last week. According to Wikipedia he’s our 4th manager this month. They never learn!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Someone did that last week. According to Wikipedia he’s our 4th manager this month. They never learn!

Exactly. Why do people feel the need to do it? (Rhetorical question really, it's all about attention seeking generally, coupled with the odd bit of mischief)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, martonrover said:

Yes, I know he’s Danish, but the reason given for him leaving Malmo was because his family lived in the Netherlands.

Maybe he’s bought a place on Nuttall Street 😉

I would imagine he will move to Manchester or Brockhall 

2 hours ago, rickard said:

In Malmö he had Remy Reijnierse as an assistant. Don't know much about him tbh, but he as assistant manager in Sheffield Wednesday in 2018.

He seems a very experience coach and number 2 with championship experience would be Ideal for JDT

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would imagine he will move to Manchester or Brockhall 

He seems a very experience coach and number 2 with championship experience would be Ideal for JDT

Anyone living at the Venkys property in Bradshaw?

Edited by pomster

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Agreed. I'd rather watch a 15th placed finish with attacking football than the absolute monstrosity I watched over the last 20 games of last season.

I certainly would not be happy with 15th off the back of an 8th placed finish, surely the target (whether it happens, I am not convinced) is improvement? 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Maybe, however, inescapable.

If I see Rovers back in the PL in my lifetime it will be a bonus.

What happened to Ferguson? To be filed with every other "ITK" shout you've had?

• Like 1

I would hope that this appointment of someone with significant clout as a player (Champions League / UEFA Cup winner, Denmark legend) will count for something - hopefully it acts as some sort of pull for potential signings and can teach our existing crop a thing or two.

I don't have any particular issue with his appointment. If he hadn't had his 2 seasons of success at Malmo recently I would be concerned, but his time with Malmo certainly matches or betters CVs of other European coaches who have arrived in the Championship recently. For example Kompany with the dingles hasn't managed to win anything with Anderlecht who are giants in their league, Farke and Wagner were only reserve team managers, Frank had worked in Denmark and not won anything.

So no particular issues on giving him a chance there, he's certainly got enough on his CV to merit a shot at it.

My concerns go beyond which individual gets the managers job.

- The structure and mechanics of our new 'setup' - in the past the way to get funding and things done here was to go straight to the source of power and funds - India - Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray did that quickly and were the only ones who managed to last here with any reasonable transfer backing. I am worried that without this we are going to be extremely limited as to what we can do and when we can do it as healthy funds will not materialise unless Desai sanctions it.

- How much power do Waggott, Pasha and Broughton have? For example if Tomasson turns out to be a disaster and we are struggling for survival does anyone have the power to sack him and pay up his multi-year deal, or is this something that has to be done by India in their own good time?

- Getting the squad into shape for the new season. I get the obsession with using the academy where possible but there are more important things here than ensuring certain players get their breakthrough. At the least we need to ensure we are equipped to survive this season, not a foregone conclusion, and for that there has to be good, solid recruitment and quickly. As per paragraph above I am not confident that this will happen with the resources available.

- the setup of old - manager running everything and reporting to India once a year - needs tipping on its head. I am certain of that because under the old system the manager was an indespensible and bulletproof component regardless of results. That has to change. Tomasson needs to be able to focus all his efforts on first team games and issues, and live or die by results on the pitch. If he's good then we are all happy, if he's rubbish then he will need replacing quickly not another unsackable situation.

- the coaching staff - if Tomasson is having staff imposed on him this is concerning. If he arrives and doesn't like the people here he must be allowed to replace them. If they won't even allow this insignificant cost and step then we have big problems.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I certainly would not be happy with 15th off the back of an 8th placed finish, surely the target (whether it happens, I am not convinced) is improvement?

Ideally, but I think we have to factor in the departure of key players and cut the new set up a bit of slack.

It’s only the beginning of the journey 😉

Pleasantly surprised if he is indeed confirmed, was expecting much worse.

One thing I find hard to read is the negativity towards him as he has no Championship experience, who gives a ####!

Historically we've done alright with managers in the division that previously had no experience, Souness and Dalglish come to mind....then not so well with those who had experience like Coyle, Lambert and Mowbray.

Mark Hughes had not managed at club level and IMO was succesful for us.

Sometimes it is more than just about the obvious experience, it is their attitude and whether, and this may be a tough ask at Rovers, they suirround themselves with people they trust to use as sound boards and advisors.

I think JDT has potential to be succesful but will need some luck and the right support, including from the Rovers faithful.

• Like 3

There seems to be a running narrative moreso on social media than here that people aren't willing to give the new manager a chance, which is totally baseless and frustrating to see our fans so desperate to call out something that isnt happening.

Just now, martonrover said:

Ideally, but I think we have to factor in the departure of key players and cut the new set up a bit of slack.

It’s only the beginning of the journey 😉

We lost Armstrong, Elliott, Holtby, Downing, Harwood-Bellis etc going into last season and improved with no money spent.

Just now, damo100 said:

At the time he was booted yes, then hindsight makes an appearance. 

I don't think it was a "majority."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Gull said:

Pleasantly surprised if he is indeed confirmed, was expecting much worse.

One thing I find hard to read is the negativity towards him as he has no Championship experience, who gives a ####!

Historically we've done alright with managers in the division that previously had no experience, Souness and Dalglish come to mind....then not so well with those who had experience like Coyle, Lambert and Mowbray.

Mark Hughes had not managed at club level and IMO was succesful for us.

Sometimes it is more than just about the obvious experience, it is their attitude and whether, and this may be a tough ask at Rovers, they suirround themselves with people they trust to use as sound boards and advisors.

I think JDT has potential to be succesful but will need some luck and the right support, including from the Rovers faithful.

Which he will get, regardless of the emerging narrative suggesting otherwise.