BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

• Backroom

Say what you will about Ashley Ward but that was just about the most blatant penalty not given you could ask to see!

A quite unique experience with the game beamed back to Ewood with fans in the JW. 

I think it’s only one of two times I watched a game on a big screen at Ewood, the other being Derby in the play offs on the pitch, I was only 7 so can’t recall much but imagine the quality of the broadcast must have been pretty poor 

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

Say what you will about Ashley Ward but that was just about the most blatant penalty not given you could ask to see!

A quite unique experience with the game beamed back to Ewood with fans in the JW. 

I think it’s only one of two times I watched a game on a big screen at Ewood, the other being Derby in the play offs on the pitch, I was only 7 so can’t recall much but imagine the quality of the broadcast must have been pretty poor 

If only we could find another Kevin Moran 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The game at Charlton was live on TV out here, I saw it in a bar in Pattaya with a bunch of mates all down from BKK for a few days.

Although I admit to being a bit 3 sheets I recall that penalty appeal and the prior GBH vividly.

It is one of those moments of stunning disbelief that I still quite often think about to this day.

Ward was joint top scorer that season ....... On 5 goals.

Our home attendance in that season of relegation, Woy and Kidd was oner 25k.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

The worst one I can remember was the foul on Jason Wilcox at Old Trafford. Paul Parker completely chopped him down in the penalty area and nothing happened ! This was in the days were that should have been a pen and an automatic red card. We were winning 1-0 at the time as well.

Just one of a very long list of poor decisions we were on the receiving end of whenever we played the red rats in those days.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I've just been looking up the stats from that season and surprisingly he scored 5 goals in the first couple of months of the season and was a regular starter up until October.

After starting at Fulham in October, he then made two sub appearances towards the end of January, and started the last game of the season, and scored, away at Gillingham. I can't remember if he picked up injuries in between or if it was a case of Souness not rating him, but he had large spells out of the match day squad altogether.

A few years ago there was an incident where the police had to taser Bent as he was high on something and was waving a cleaver at them. Not good to read about, obviously.

However, as a player for us in that promotion season, he was excellent. I remember him scoring some important goals along the way. Watford away was one. Scored the opener at Bolton too. Plus he was brilliant for me on Champ Man 01/02 (what a game!) alongside Jansen upfront 😁.

Edit: Blake did pick up an injury, as per Mark's post above.

I was told when we signed him, by someone inside the game, that we would disrupt the dressing room, big time.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I was at the beam back at Ewood with my son and we were both amazed that spot kick was not given.

We watched it back on Match of the day on Saturday night and Alan Hansen said, " I feel sorry for the manager, the players and all the supporters, as you will never see a clearer penalty in your life". 

Even taking into account my blue & White bias, in over 50 years of watching football, it was and still remains the most blatant penalty shout, that was turned down, that I have ever seen.

• Like 2

On 03/07/2022 at 09:31, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The worst one I can remember was the foul on Jason Wilcox at Old Trafford. Paul Parker completely chopped him down in the penalty area and nothing happened ! This was in the days were that should have been a pen and an automatic red card. We were winning 1-0 at the time as well.

Just one of a very long list of poor decisions we were on the receiving end of whenever we played the red rats in those days.

Quite right Tyrone, there was a litany of bad/bent decisions against us whenever we played them. But this does remind me of quite a funny story. I had a couple of mates up visiting us in Scotland one weekend and Rovers v Utd was the teatime live Sky game. This was the game when (I think) Tevez scored an equalizer at the Darwen End in what felt like the 9th minute of 5 added on, from an offside position, with his fucking arm.

Anyway we watched it in a pub in Glasgow, which was jam-packed as one of the old Firm had been at home that day, and Alex Ferguson's big ugly face popped up on the screen for his post match interview. My mate couldn't contain himself any longer. "You can fuck off an' all you Scotch c*nt" he screamed, than suddenly remembered where he was when the whole pub fell into a stunned silence.

Thankfully the Glaswegian lads saw the funny side of it and being football fans themselves realised how brassed off we would have been.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Quite right Tyrone, there was a litany of bad/bent decisions against us whenever we played them. But this does remind me of quite a funny story. I had a couple of mates up visiting us in Scotland one weekend and Rovers v Utd was the teatime live Sky game. This was the game when (I think) Tevez scored an equalizer at the Darwen End in what felt like the 9th minute of 5 added on, from an offside position, with his fucking arm.

Anyway we watched it in a pub in Glasgow, which was jam-packed as one of the old Firm had been at home that day, and Alex Ferguson's big ugly face popped up on the screen for his post match interview. My mate couldn't contain himself any longer. "You can fuck off an' all you Scotch c*nt" he screamed, than suddenly remembered where he was when the whole pub fell into a stunned silence.

Thankfully the Glaswegian lads saw the funny side of it and being football fans themselves realised how brassed off we would have been

Tbf Glaswegians hate Scotland 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This was the game when (I think) Tevez scored an equalizer at the Darwen End in what felt like the 9th minute of 5 added on, from an offside position, with his fucking arm.

And there was a foul, and I think the ball didn't cross the line either. I've never seen such an illegal goal get to stand...in fact wasn't this when there were serious doubts about his eligibility to even be playing due to the third party ownership shit? The result transformed West Ham's season and they stayed up. I'll never stop being bitter about it, but then again we had that bit of Miklosko magic back in 1995 so I can live with it!

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2022 at 09:31, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody will ever convince me that Manure weren't paying the refs off in the 90's and early 00's. The amount of disgraceful decisions, not even just the lengthy list against us, was shocking. Opponents' goals disallowed under bullshit pretences, extremely dodgy Manure goals allowed. Plus Fergie time and all that. We'd have won the league in 94 with fair decisions.

But nothing trumps the Ewood game where Lee Sharpe fouled Henning Berg in our penalty area. The scum got a penalty and Berg got sent off.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

And there was a foul, and I think the ball didn't cross the line either. I've never seen such an illegal goal get to stand...in fact wasn't this when there were serious doubts about his eligibility to even be playing due to the third party ownership shit? The result transformed West Ham's season and they stayed up. I'll never stop being bitter about it, but then again we had that bit of Miklosko magic back in 1995 so I can live with it!

That game was match fixing 100%.

Tevez dived for a penalty and I think he was offside and there was a handball in there some where.

The second goal didn't even cross the line.

Then Bentley was sent off after being fouled by Lucas Neill. 

One of these happening would be a case of bad officiating but all three happening in the same game, no way. That was fixed.

When you take into account that Tevez was ineligible to play in any of those games it makes it even more sickening what happened at the end of the season. 

I've not had a season ticket since that season. I haven't been to a match since the Venkys takeover. That was the final nail.

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Nobody will ever convince me that Manure weren't paying the refs off in the 90's and early 00's. The amount of disgraceful decisions, not even just the lengthy list against us, was shocking. Opponents' goals disallowed under bullshit pretences, extremely dodgy Manure goals allowed. Plus Fergie time and all that. We'd have won the league in 94 with fair decisions.

But nothing trumps the Ewood game where Lee Sharpe fouled Henning Berg in our penalty area. The scum got a penalty and Berg got sent off.

Especially in the 2000s when they weren't even that good anymore. They won league title after league title with 97th minute penalties and free kicks.

Me and my dad were watching a game once and the commentators said something about how long whoever it was could hold the lead against them, and my dad goes "well it depends what time sir alex has booked his penalty for " 

One of those funny because its true moments. 

• Like 1

nice. some amazing kids coming through denmark at the moment. Roony Bardghji for 1. Would be nice if he could get him on loan or a couple of youth prospects. Not far off a premier league push, would like to see the odds on sportsbetting3.com after a few key additions.

Edited by HolliBrown4

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Especially in the 2000s when they weren't even that good anymore. They won league title after league title with 97th minute penalties and free kicks.

Me and my dad were watching a game once and the commentators said something about how long whoever it was could hold the lead against them, and my dad goes "well it depends what time sir alex has booked his penalty for " 

One of those funny because its true moments. 

VAR has largely put paid to many of the decisions that always seemed to go Manure's way! 

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Flowers sending off at Ewood very early in the first half. Totally meant we couldn't win that game.

That was probably the worst but there were so many!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

VAR has largely put paid to many of the decisions that always seemed to go Manure's way! 

Flowers sending off at Ewood very early in the first half. Totally meant we couldn't win that game.

That was probably the worst but there were so many!

They've just changed the rules in a different way now. FFP basically means that smaller clubs are simply not allowed to compete with the big wealthy teams.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

They've just changed the rules in a different way now. FFP basically means that smaller clubs are simply not allowed to compete with the big wealthy teams.

Anything goes once you get in the Premier League though. I agree that FFP operates against smaller clubs till you do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn’t they equalise at the death in one game at OT from a corner that should have been a goal kick to us ? 

A mate of mine had a saying  - “ You’ve got to win at at Old Trafford to get a draw “.

Boxing Day 1993.

A corner that should never have been as well surprisingly.

• Like 3

The bias towards Utd in the 90's was something to behold but not in a good way, as it was for Liverpool in the 80's.  Strangely enough VAR seemed to work for them a few seasons ago as well.

Non of this is imagined although we might go over the top sometimes with the assumptions.  The whole world clearly sees the favoritism but wherever the really big bucks are the powerbrokers are always onside.

There was also a stonewall penalty not awarded to us at Old Trafford in Feb 2009. Rafael foul on Pedersen, clear as day. We were 2-1 down at the time and had them rattled. I think Roque's goal ended a crazy long run of clean sheets they were on. The final score? 2-1 to them. The ref? Howard Webb.

That late Alan Smith equaliser at Ewood in 2004 still rankles. Four minutes added time. 95th minute, Saha punches the ball into Smith's path who equalises.

We've had some shocking decisions go against us when facing that lot over the years. Great to see their current state and some of their fans talking about how they have "fallen out of love with United".

I can't think why that might be.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

That late Alan Smith equaliser at Ewood in 2004 still rankles. Four minutes added time. 95th minute, Saha punches the ball into Smith's path who equalises.

I think that's the one I was thinking of with my earlier post, I was conflating that goal and Tevez's in another game.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1