BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

• Backroom

As we finished the last 5 games of last season without a draw, I believe we're now at 29 consecutive league games without drawing. I wonder what the longest run without a draw in the football league is? A quick google search suggests Spurs hold the PL record with 30 games, but not sure about the football league as a whole. It's definitely a club record.

Edited by DE.

26 minutes ago, Dan said:

The problem is that I don’t think JDT’s vision is not going to work in this league because we haven’t got and won’t be able to afford the players to pull it off and I believe you need to mix it up. Total football isn’t the answer in this league; the two teams I believe will go up automatically are the Dingles and Sheff Utd, both teams are full of shithouse bullies as well as decent players. Look how well Luton did last season by kicking teams like us off the pitch. 

Oh how I’d love a few players in the mould of Nelsen, Savage, Reid and Todd. I’d love Black eye Rovers to return, but I don’t believe it’s JDT’s style and I believe he’s that stubborn that he will fall on his own sword before he changes. If it all works out it’ll be great(I’d love JDT to be a massive success), but if we’d got a more proven manager in like Big Sam(who I wasn’t a massive fan of towards the end, but appreciated what he did, especially in recent times), he’d bring in a few shit houses and also make the most of what players we do have rather than trying to make them play in a way they can’t. 

Not sure I’ve got the appetite for another 3 season journey/project that ends up in the same place we started. 

Good post , I am of the opinion that JDT will be gone by February, whether that is because of no transfer activity in January , or the crowd turns due his appalling football.... Definitely discontent amongst the crowd last home match . Thursday night will be interesting for many reasons.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Oh God, absolutely.

It's not a FCKING project, it's the centre of a community. It's something for like-minded souls to gather round and share in the pain and glory. Take their minds off of all their troubles by being part of something bigger.

Instead we're owned by chicken botherers thousands of miles away, they take no interest, but they refuse to sell. We're being run by faces in the shadows, time servers and ring holders who don't want to rock the boat. And as a front man, we have another guy who talks about projects, marginally improving squad value while we become further indebted to our abductors

Well, you can shove all that. Football is meant to be fun. And if it's not fun, then there should always be hope.

Well it's not been fun for a very long time. It's dispiriting. Demoralising. Disenchanting. Demotivating. As for hope, the only hope I hold onto is somehow we get rid of these people and become a proper football club again. 

I still care out of loyalty, but the feeling isn't really there any more

Spot on. 

I was thinking back to the Hull match being cancelled last minute last year. I was annoyed at the time, but in hindsight, it was a blessing. Lovely Boxing Day ruined by Rovers yesterday and salt rubbed in the already sore wounds by seeing that fucking idiot Mowbray celebrate like he’s just won the FA Cup. Three matches in the last five I really wanted us to win(Dingles, PNE and yesterdays) and they’ve let us down. I said to my lad at 90 minutes yesterday that we will concede from this free kick and that’ll be me done for a while if so. 10 seconds later they scored. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blondie said:

The January Transfer Window is a chance for Tomasson to create an identity, and a style to mirror his ambitions.

Anything less will inevitably lead to another death spiral of his own making.

However recent results suggest it may have started.

Where are the funds coming from to create this identity?  You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Posters are talking about a Nelson, Savage or Todd? Who was it that said it’s not 1995 anymore? It’s not 2005 either.

Have no expectations, support the manager and players right now, see what happens.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Where are the funds coming from to create this identity?  You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Posters are talking about a Nelson, Savage or Todd? Who was it that said it’s not 1995 anymore? It’s not 2005 either.

Have no expectations, support the manager and players right now, see what happens.

It would appear that the identity that Tomasson wants does not suit the playing squad at present.

Rather than playing to our strengths he's stubbornly sticking to  a perceive style that many cannot achieve.

If an influx of players suited to this style do not arrive, then results will drop, which will not be conducive to adding value to younger players.

• Like 4

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Gav said:

If the funds aren't there to shape the squad as JDT wishes then surely he needs to show that he can adapt to what we have, and what we can realistically bring in. I know we're 3rd at the moment, but surely we can all see where this is heading if there aren't some significant concessions made by the manager on his style of football. Of course the fans need to support the manager and the team, and I'm sure the regular matchgoers will, as they did even with Mowbray when he repeatedly tanked us with death spirals, but in my view at least the manager also needs to show the supporters that he has the ingenuinity to make the most out of what he's got. Again, I can appreciate the argument that he has done so far, hence the position we're in, but recent results especially are pointing to the honeymoon period having come to a brutal end. 

I want it to work out for JDT, I think every Rovers fan does, but I believe he needs to prove that he can handle the task he's been given and not lose himself in attempting to fulfil a project that may not have the backing required to bring about the idealised version of what the manager wants to achieve.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Results are most important but put that aside for the purposes of this question. Do you enjoy watching a Jon Dahl Tomasson managed Rovers and how they play? And how would you describe the style?

I do enjoyed watching Rovers whether we win, lose or draw as its my release. I don't get too high when we win or too low when we lose whoever we play. 

I think how I would describe the style is a difficult one to answer at the minute cos I think we haven't see the style spoken about how we would play when JDT joined the club. We seem some signs of it in games but not fully introduce or we haven't played it game after game. We seen different styles in different games whether its QPR at home or Swansea away or Watford home or Norwich away. When we play badly we are bad tho. That is somewhat a concern for me. 

18 minutes ago, DE. said:

If the funds aren't there to shape the squad as JDT wishes then surely he needs to show that he can adapt to what we have, and what we can realistically bring in. I know we're 3rd at the moment, but surely we can all see where this is heading if there aren't some significant concessions made by the manager on his style of football. Of course the fans need to support the manager and the team, and I'm sure the regular matchgoers will, as they did even with Mowbray when he repeatedly tanked us with death spirals, but in my view at least the manager also needs to show the supporters that he has the ingenuinity to make the most out of what he's got. Again, I can appreciate the argument that he has done so far, hence the position we're in, but recent results especially are pointing to the honeymoon period having come to a brutal end. 

I want it to work out for JDT, I think every Rovers fan does, but I believe he needs to prove that he can handle the task he's been given and not lose himself in attempting to fulfil a project that may not have the backing required to bring about the idealised version of what the manager wants to achieve.

The same applies to every manager that has come through the door since King rat resigned, yet here we are.

We all know what needs to change and clearly it’s not manager after manager after manager……

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do enjoyed watching Rovers whether we win, lose or draw as its my release. I don't get too high when we win or too low when we lose whoever we play. 

I think how I would describe the style is a difficult one to answer at the minute cos I think we haven't see the style spoken about how we would play when JDT joined the club. We seem some signs of it in games but not fully introduce or we haven't played it game after game. We seen different styles in different games whether its QPR at home or Swansea away or Watford home or Norwich away. When we play badly we are bad tho. That is somewhat a concern for me. 

I wasnt asking whether you watch Rovers as a whole. Do you specifically enjoy watching Tomasson's "style" of football?

12 hours ago, broadsword said:

Oh God, absolutely.

It's not a FCKING project, it's the centre of a community. It's something for like-minded souls to gather round and share in the pain and glory. Take their minds off of all their troubles by being part of something bigger.

Instead we're owned by chicken botherers thousands of miles away, they take no interest, but they refuse to sell. We're being run by faces in the shadows, time servers and ring holders who don't want to rock the boat. And as a front man, we have another guy who talks about projects, marginally improving squad value while we become further indebted to our abductors

Well, you can shove all that. Football is meant to be fun. And if it's not fun, then there should always be hope.

Well it's not been fun for a very long time. It's dispiriting. Demoralising. Disenchanting. Demotivating. As for hope, the only hope I hold onto is somehow we get rid of these people and become a proper football club again. 

I still care out of loyalty, but the feeling isn't really there any more

Absolutely 100% 

I still have the loyalty to Rovers that I can never lose. You can't lose it, you're born with it.

I get very little enjoyment out of it anymore. After the dingles game all the interest I had this season was obliterated. 

Another waste of a season with a dolloper of a manager and a team that is just clipping the ticket. The club has zero ambition.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DE. said:

but in my view at least the manager also needs to show the supporters that he has the ingenuinity to make the most out of what he's got.

This.

What we expect is, whatever the state of  finances etc the manager"s job, first and foremost, is to get the best out of his squad.

Who can honesty say JDT is getting the best out of our's? Some stability would help.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wasnt asking whether you watch Rovers as a whole. Do you specifically enjoy watching Tomasson's "style" of football?

Simple Yes overall.

Some questions for you to answer

1) Do you enjoy watching JDT's style of football and his team selection? if you don't why or if so why? 

2) Would you not subscribe that league position is the most important than anything? 

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

LET today:

"Despite sitting third in the table, Tomasson has played down expectations or talk of a promotion push, stating that Rovers aren’t expected to challenge"

Is this the mind set he is selling to the Squad while we sit in third position?

Typical head coach talk trying to take the pressure of the players

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

LET today:

"Despite sitting third in the table, Tomasson has played down expectations or talk of a promotion push, stating that Rovers aren’t expected to challenge"

What a way to run a club. Chance of promotion, which is the point of being in the competition in the first place- ‘no thanks mate’.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

LET today:

The one thing i constantly moaned about under Mowbray from right after league 1 promotion was the mindset he seemed to rub off on the players. Never once did it seem anything other than lets water tread and imo it was an issue why he often never got the best out of the squad as a whole or his resources.

But seemingly there was never any pressure on him despite some good runs and some of the worst ever.

When JDT and GB floated through the door, two younger more ambitious guys it did seem a refreshing change was a foot.  Early season form backed that up and i commented on here the biggest change is the mentality and that was needed.

Now FFS here we are again with him almost telling everyone oh we fully expect to blow it and it's ok because it isn't in the plan. Well what is then other than the ludicrous put value into players by playing shite unprogressive football then ?

Is that it ?   Is that why him and his pals are here just to draw a wage for as long as they can sell their 'project' ?

What IS the project, what WAS the 'journey' ?

We finished 8th after being top 6 most of the season so if the project isn't to better that this season or at least equal it we might as well not bother.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

What a way to run a club. Chance of promotion, which is the point of being in the competition in the first place- ‘no thanks mate’.

Simply cannot work out the thinking behind his comment when we are in the position we are still in..its left me cold.

Then again, perhaps Tomasson already knows there is to be no financial backing from those in Pune Towers for a promotion push?

Feck knows what goes on at Ewood these days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Seemingly the whole ethos of BRFC - as proven last January.

A very strange football club.

Spot on Matty.

I had a text message from a fellow messageboard member yesterday asking me why we still bother, if the odds and owners are against us what is the point? The obvious reply was its in the blood, we can't help but bother and support the club, but I'm sure for many, it is becoming less appealing and more galling season upon season.

I've come to terms with the fact we are never going up, I try to enjoy watching the players on show, watch the younger players develop. I'm not sure how long that will last but I still have the enthusiasm right now....

Tomasson’s just protecting his own position because he knows a promotion push is unsustainable 

I’m not surprised home fans have started booing. Away fans at Coventry were the most subdued I’ve ever seen them and we had a good following there. Virtually no noise, no singing, no banter with the home fans. Rovers fans are an apathetic lot but the air of resignation when we lost was sad to witness

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

Spot on Matty.

I had a text message from a fellow messageboard member yesterday asking me why we still bother, if the odds and owners are against us what is the point? The obvious reply was its in the blood, we can't help but bother and support the club, but I'm sure for many, it is becoming less appealing and more galling season upon season.

I've come to terms with the fact we are never going up, I try to enjoy watching the players on show, watch the younger players develop. I'm not sure how long that will last but I still have the enthusiasm right now....

Your post Gav is a perfect summation of what has happened to most of our most fervent supporters these days....total apathy,an exceptance of our situation with a shrug of the shoulders and a sigh..makes me sad.

We've been battered into submission by the two hats.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We are approaching a transfer window too and three or four signings who hit the ground running can be the difference between playoffs and ultimately promotion. His interview was really negative and must have riled many supporters who still care and harbour ambition for our club (despite the abhorrent owners). Any potential half season ticket buyers must be having second thoughts now and in truth who can blame them.

Tomasson and Broughton are treading a fine line now in respect of our patience.

• Like 5

• Backroom

Tomasson isn't stupid or blind, he knows as well as the rest of us that the current set of players can't deliver his style of football this season and our performances will catch up to us in the end. I think it's going to be a painful second half of the season (again) and JDT is preparing the fanbase and Pune for the inevitable and steep decline that in truth may already be underway considering our insipid performance against Burnley, embarrassing display against Preston and allowing a Sunderland team managed by Tony Mowbray to actually come from behind to win. 

Of course I agree that the root problem is Venky's. I've been on that train since Kean was appointed permanently 12 years ago. However, their "model", as much of a foolhardy money-pit as it is, has largely kept us steady in the Championship since we were relegated, bar the season they made the incredibly idiotic decision to appoint Coyle. In the last two seasons we've been in the top three at the half way stage. In a fair few seasons we've been in and around the playoff places. Coyle season aside we've never really been in a relegation fight. Our inability to break the top six has not necessarily been the general running of the club, as the Championship is clearly a poor enough league for that to be mitigated (we'd have been repeatedly relegated otherwise), but the decision-making when it comes to employing the manager of the club and to some degree the staff surrounding him. Venky's or not, I believe a Neil Warnock type in charge around the 2013-14 period would have had us in the top six at the very least. The same last season. If owners like Vincent Tan and the Oystons can get their clubs promoted from this league then I am sure with the right managerial appointment even Venky's could achieve the same. If Tony Mowbray can get the club to 2nd after half a season and JDT with his ridiculously poor brand of football have us in 3rd over the halfway point then top six, at the very least, is not an impossible dream. 

With all of that said, we're still only one stupid decision away from implosion as far as our owners are concerned. They've always been the primary cause of our issues because ultimately they choose the manager, they set the structure at the club and they dictate the general tone of how the club operates. Whilst I don't think it's impossible for us to be promoted under Venky's, I do think they'd have to be extremely lucky with a managerial appointment, because they simply don't have the passion, knowledge or desire to make a decision borne from intelligence and forward planning - regardless of this "journey" nonsense that has been regurgitated for the past 6 years or so.

• Like 3