BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

At least Tomasson has shown after walking out on Malmo after 2 successful years that he isn't afraid of moving on if the circumstances require it or he wants to try something different.

Quite different to the situation with his predecessors who would hang on to the Rovers job until the bitter end knowing it wasn't ever going to get any better for them,

In years gone by Tomasson would by now have arrived back from India after 2 weeks in Pune talking to Mr and Mrs Desai. On the positive side of things that would likely mean he came back with a healthy kitty and renewed optimism but on the flip side would have wasted time whilst also making the manager effectively unsackable and indispensible due to his direct link to the owners.

This time around there is an air of more professionalism - no need to fly to India and an actual Director of Football welcoming him to Brockhall to get stuck into the task and as much as I am unimpressed by the lingering Lowe and Benson at least we have a well stocked support staff down there now.

If India has finally put something in place whereby Waggott, Pasha or Broughton can operate with some sort of freedom and a proper budget we might be in business. But I'm afraid if they are making the Club wash its own face and operate within extreme limits it is unlikely to work.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

I'm really quite stoked by these appointments, howsoever the club arrived at them. The proof will be in the pudding of course, but I think combined they show a real statement of intent.

They all come with good experience, recent success, wider experience of Europe, and specifically of a resurgent Scandinavian market. As the head coach, JDT is easily the highest profile appointment we've had since Hughes, and will make any prospective acquisition sit up and take notice of an approach from us (in the way that Mike Newell blanked us under Mackay, but u-turned when we returned with Dalglish at the helm).

I can't imagine even Venkys making such wholesale changes to the footballing structure of the club, only to then not provide the means or wherewithal for that management team to put their ideas and plans into action. That would just be nonsensical (I know, I know!!)

On a more tribal front, I THINK I'm happier with JDT & co than I would've been with Kompany. There seems to me to be more substance & thought gone into our move than Burnley's, which seems to be just appointing a big-name crowd pleaser who has the profile, but not necessarily proven that he has specific managerial nouse. I could be proven wrong & to large extent it's a minor subplot, but will be interesting to see how both imaginative & ambitious appointments, in different ways, play out...

Bring on 30th July!!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Why?

Because he is still here after been proven incompetent in his post (have a look at e-ticketing for the latest in a long list of evidence) whilst being remunerated handsomely, perhaps?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

I know what you mean. It's hard to say if he'll be able to handle what's in front of him at the club. The excitement probably stems from us not appointing a recycled lower league name. It's someone new and fresh. It might not work out. He is a bit green. He's got a big job on his hands, but he's going to have support and structure all around him to help matters.

Looking forward to his unveiling tomorrow, and quietly confident of faster activity in the transfer market than we've previously seen. i guess we'll know more by 30th July if anything has changed on that front.

Yeah I get you, the recycled lower league manager threat was real but I always felt they would go for a name. Because he had a relatively successful career doesn't mean he can mirror that as a manager. Farke, Carvahal and Dyche were far more appealing to me. There is definitely a pool of ex players now managers flaoting around the management circle that get gigs based on their name. Solskjear syndrome.

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Why?

Why is Swag still in post, or why does the fact the utterly incompetent liability still being in post mean the owners haven't wised up?

I shouldn't think the latter needs answering.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Why is Swag still in post, or why does the fact the utterly incompetent liability still being in post mean the owners haven't wised up?

I shouldn't think the latter needs answering.

His office provides a nice coffee, maybe?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tricky said:

What's wrong with the current one exactly? Seeing lots of moans, is everyone just being tight due to the cost of living crisis, energy costs, petrol rises etc... 

I can only speak for myself but midweek games are a no-no for me & so the average cost per game when you remove those is no longer quite as attractive. Add in at least a couple of Saturday games lost (family commitments/holidays) then factor in the usual bundle deals & quite simply the numbers don’t add up.

All this ignores £60 on diesel, £10 to park, refreshments etc…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Me too. This isn't really based on JDTs managerial skills or acumen. I am more worried about the state of the squad, what (if anything) is being made available budget wise and the capabilities of those running recruitment.

There's a lot to do, not a lot of time and I anticipate not a lot of budget. You've got to be clued up, quick, decisive and have some cash to build a competitive squad and in a short timescale.

The kids are only going to get us so far - as much as they can try to avoid it there is a need to go out into a tough competitive market and get signings done. If we fail to do this, or delay, we aren't going to be left with much.

Exactly there is no point installing the infrastructure we have done over the last few weeks then shrug your shoulders and not invest in a squad that has lost Rothwell, Nyambe, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Khadra, Davenport and likely Brereton among others. Add Armstrong to that and it's a alot of quality our the door. The Pickerings and Edun's of this world are not up to it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

On a more tribal front, I THINK I'm happier with JDT & co than I would've been with Kompany. There seems to me to be more substance & thought gone into our move than Burnley's, which seems to be just appointing a big-name crowd pleaser who has the profile, but not necessarily proven that he has specific managerial nouse. I could be proven wrong & to large extent it's a minor subplot, but will be interesting to see how both imaginative & ambitious appointments, in different ways, play out...

Burnley : “So Vincent…you’re definitely interested in the role ?”

VK : “Remind me again - how far are you from my wife’s family in Manchester ?”

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Lambert was/is as dour and lacking in imagination as Mowbray. Yes there has been a multitude of other cock ups too but hopefully lessons have been learned and we move on!

Alan Myers was just another on the gravy train, following a host of others.

It would appear the owners have wised up at long last!

Bloody hell Mowbrays only been gone a month and you're telling me the owners have wised up (after twelve years mind). How was Myers on the gravy train but the current incumbents aren't? If the owners had wised up we would have had more sensible pricing on season tickets and wouldn't be on the cusp of embarrassment.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The manager hasn’t been born that could make a success story out of Rovers as long we have these owners. I just hope JDT doesn’t get the Lambert treatment off them.

He very well may. Something tells me he would take it and is probably chuffed to get the gig and a 3 year deal. Hopefully not a yes man.

10 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I can only speak for myself but midweek games are a no-no for me & so the average cost per game when you remove those is no longer quite as attractive. Add in at least a couple of Saturday games lost (family commitments/holidays) then factor in the usual bundle deals & quite simply the numbers don’t add up.

All this ignores £60 on diesel, £10 to park, refreshments etc…

You can save £5 on your parking.  

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bloody hell Mowbrays only been gone a month and you're telling me the owners have wised up (after twelve years mind). How was Myers on the gravy train but the current incumbents aren't? If the owners had wised up we would have had more sensible pricing on season tickets and wouldn't be on the cusp of embarrassment.

You'll never change Tony, each to their own.

I'm telling you nowt btw, I wouldn't dream of doing that. Make your own mind up and that applies to everyone else too but think about it logically. Proof of the pudding etc (yeh, it may have taken 11 years for whatever reason but does that stigma remain for ever?....1960sque?)

9 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

He's definitely the coolest coach we've ever had, don't know what the ladies think but I can definitely feel a lot of mancrushes coming on

FB_IMG_1655297283313.jpg

FB_IMG_1655297302870.jpg

“He’s here… and he’s perfect.” 

we will see how perfect, after Rovers first loss, lol 😂

Hes definitely got an Aryan look about him. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, darrenrover said:

I'm telling you nowt btw, I wouldn't dream of doing that. Make your own mind up and that applies to everyone else too but think about it logically. Proof of the pudding etc (yeh, it may have taken 11 years for whatever reason but does that stigma remain for ever?....1960sque?)

How has it changed then? How have they wised up? I don’t need to know who has told you what, but just an initiative in place to prove your point. We aren’t having any more of this ‘things are better but I’m telling you nothing stuff’ again. It’s tiresome and akin to trolling.

• Like 4

Just now, K-Hod said:

How has it changed then? How have they wised up? I don’t need to know who has told you what, but just an initiative in place to prove your point. We aren’t having any more of this ‘things are better but I’m telling you nothing stuff’ again. It’s tiresome and akin to trolling.

Let's leave it there than pal....off I pop, no worries!

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

We are about to see ST sales at the level of some L2/non league clubs. 

So logically as a top half Championship club, he’s failed and failed badly, and as he’s still here, so…

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Let's leave it there than pal....off I pop, no worries!

You’re more than welcome to post here, it just seems odd that you wouldn’t just explain why people are wrong and you’re right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

Oh I will change when I see evidence of it with my own eyes and until that time I will curse the day they came. 

Do you recall the opening statement from Desai about respecting the legacy of Jack Walker. I wonder what she would say today if she was challenged about it.

• Like 7