BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

23 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

You'll never change Tony, each to their own.

I'm telling you nowt btw, I wouldn't dream of doing that. Make your own mind up and that applies to everyone else too but think about it logically. Proof of the pudding etc (yeh, it may have taken 11 years for whatever reason but does that stigma remain for ever?....1960sque?)

Thinking about it logically and requiring proof of the pudding is precisely what everyone else is doing. God knows what logic you're using or what type of pudding you enjoy if you think Swag is alright.

25 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Waggot is about to oversee the lowest season ticket sales for 40 years. This on the back of a relatively decent season.

He’s getting paid for failure. He’s not just on the gravy train, he’s driving it. 

I hope ST sales will increase perceptibly. The known tends to do that. Folks will get on board with DoF & jdt, imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

I can only speak for myself but midweek games are a no-no for me & so the average cost per game when you remove those is no longer quite as attractive. Add in at least a couple of Saturday games lost (family commitments/holidays) then factor in the usual bundle deals & quite simply the numbers don’t add up.

All this ignores £60 on diesel, £10 to park, refreshments etc…

You need a lesser gas guzzler me thinks.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The issue isn't that people won't be "on board" with the manager.

I understand people despise Venkys. I understand there’s still hurt feelings from a decade ago. But, c’mon, how long are people going to stay away from the club? Its the only Blackburn Rovers we will ever have. To continue to say, “Venky’s out”, or, “I won’t go back until Venky’s/Waggott is gone”, isn’t working. 

I hope there’s a big crowd for the home opener, if nothing else, than simply to say, “we will give jdt & his new staff a try.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s a very glib response from someone a long way away that seemingly doesn’t understand the demographics of the local area.

This summer’s collapse in sales is largely to do with pricing (though having no manager in place throughout the ‘loyalty sales period’ didn’t help), we are now losing fans that have kept the faith throughout the Venky regime, these aren’t fans that have chucked their toys out of the pram over ‘hurt feelings’ towards some folk in Pune.

We are in a cost of living crisis and we are seeing prices of up to £530, far more than most other local clubs.

I didn’t mean it to be. I know Blackburn is a town of roughly 100,000 people, and the surrounding area, maybe 150,000 to draw a fan base from. I am assuming most people who are fans have bought season tickets for years, and they are not taking money out of the Bread and egg fund to do it. 
It’s about hurt feelings, failure to live up to expectations, wallowing in the Championship, and I understand that. But how long does it go on? Until we are in the situation of Bury?

It goes on until we have someone address it by applying the methods Huddersfield, Bradford and now Preston have.

Speculate to accumulate instead of squeeze what you have until every last drip has run dry.

Sadly the man who we assume is responsible for this is by his own admission in the latter camp not the former.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I didn’t mean it to be. I know Blackburn is a town of roughly 100,000 people, and the surrounding area, maybe 150,000 to draw a fan base from. I am assuming most people who are fans have bought season tickets for years, and they are not taking money out of the Bread and egg fund to do it. 
It’s about hurt feelings, failure to live up to expectations, wallowing in the Championship, and I understand that. But how long does it go on? Until we are in the situation of Bury?

I think for the majority of fans who went last season or the season before, it isn't about hurt feelings or perceived failures etc.  Most who went last season would have renewed, possibly with the potential for far more on top.

I don't think you quite appreciate the true extent of how this financial crisis is hitting people in towns like Blackburn.  I've just been in the Netherlands this weekend and spoke to people from all over the world.  The fiscal situations for North Americans and mainland Europeans in comparison to folk from Blackburn is stark.

There was a real opportunity to drop ST prices, bring in higher numbers and gates, with any potentially lost revenue almost guaranteed to be made up in merchandising and catering sales.  It's simple economics really.  Couple that with a feel-good factor and added noise/atmosphere...

Now the club has seemingly made some positive steps in these appointments, there would have been a real opportunity/potential to capitalise on it if the prices were even at a reasonable level.  In fact, I think we'd have seen a massive surge these last days/next week.

It's honestly criminal how Waggott could fuck it up so monumentally.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

How has it changed then? How have they wised up? I don’t need to know who has told you what, but just an initiative in place to prove your point. We aren’t having any more of this ‘things are better but I’m telling you nothing stuff’ again. It’s tiresome and akin to trolling.

That is particularly harsh and completely unfair imo.

Has no - one ever heard of the concept of mutual trust and confidentiality?

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm really quite stoked by these appointments, howsoever the club arrived at them. The proof will be in the pudding of course, but I think combined they show a real statement of intent.

They all come with good experience, recent success, wider experience of Europe, and specifically of a resurgent Scandinavian market. As the head coach, JDT is easily the highest profile appointment we've had since Hughes, and will make any prospective acquisition sit up and take notice of an approach from us (in the way that Mike Newell blanked us under Mackay, but u-turned when we returned with Dalglish at the helm).

I can't imagine even Venkys making such wholesale changes to the footballing structure of the club, only to then not provide the means or wherewithal for that management team to put their ideas and plans into action. That would just be nonsensical (I know, I know!!)

On a more tribal front, I THINK I'm happier with JDT & co than I would've been with Kompany. There seems to me to be more substance & thought gone into our move than Burnley's, which seems to be just appointing a big-name crowd pleaser who has the profile, but not necessarily proven that he has specific managerial nouse. I could be proven wrong & to large extent it's a minor subplot, but will be interesting to see how both imaginative & ambitious appointments, in different ways, play out...

Bring on 30th July!!

I’d say Allardyce was higher profile in terms of a managerial appointment and Ince and Lambert both had stellar playing careers at home and abroad followed by a modicum of success as managers. Only one of those appointments stood the test of time.

57 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I hope ST sales will increase perceptibly. The known tends to do that. Folks will get on board with DoF & jdt, imo. 

The main problem is that a lot of people cannot afford the Rovers prices, whether they are onboard or not.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

You understand completely wrong and I’m actually a little riled on the behalf of long standing fans with decades of support who are being told by someone thousands of miles away that the real reason they haven’t renewed this summer (despite always doing previously), is due to them being spoilt and therefore have ‘hurt feelings’, despite sticking it  out through the last decade of utter shite, and it is actually nothing to do with their ‘bread and egg’ fund.

What give you the right?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, mustard said:

I think for the majority of fans who went last season or the season before, it isn't about hurt feelings or perceived failures etc.  Most who went last season would have renewed, possibly with the potential for far more on top.

I don't think you quite appreciate the true extent of how this financial crisis is hitting people in towns like Blackburn.  I've just been in the Netherlands this weekend and spoke to people from all over the world.  The fiscal situations for North Americans and mainland Europeans in comparison to folk from Blackburn is stark.

There was a real opportunity to drop ST prices, bring in higher numbers and gates, with any potentially lost revenue almost guaranteed to be made up in merchandising and catering sales.  It's simple economics really.  Couple that with a feel-good factor and added noise/atmosphere...

Now the club has seemingly made some positive steps in these appointments, there would have been a real opportunity/potential to capitalise on it if the prices were even at a reasonable level.  In fact, I think we'd have seen a massive surge these last days/next week.

It's honestly criminal how Waggott could fuck it up so monumentally.

I can appreciate that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Neal said:

Whilst I understand any pessimism and skepticism over any appointment under Venkys, what more could we realistically ask for? Fair enough we didn't get Farke, which maybe we didn't even have a shot at considering where he ended up. We didn't get Carvahal, but considering where he ended up we couldn't have competed financially. 

So, we've appointed a DOF from a market we hopefully can find value in, who's done well and knows English football. Sensible.

We've appointed a head coach who's just won 2 consecutive titles, was manager of the season and competed in the champions League. Who coached Denmark who weren't beat for 2 years and has already had some tough management experiences behind him. On top of that he won the champions League as a player and played at the highest level. We have to be pretty satisfied with that CV and appointing a person of that ilk.

If we struggle he might be partly to blame but don't forget about those who messed up the contracts of our most valuable players. These players would have made his job infinitely easier but now we essentially need a new spine of a the team. We need to afford him time to develop the players brought in and not expect them to be at the same standard from the first game of the season. We can't under estimate the quality and value that's about to leave that kept us competitive in this league. It's going to be very difficult to replace Brereton's 20+ goals, Rothwell's assists and Lennihan's leadership on a budget. Nevermind Mowbray's seasoned knowledge of our opponents. This is a project, not a throw money at it type gamble. Fingers crossed for some shrewd business and some contract renewals. 

I want more than anything for us to smash everyone and compete at the top end of the table but there are clubs with vast amounts of cash, more settled managers and squads than ours. I think it's only fair we temper our expectations for this season at least and accept anything like a mid table finish as a bonus. 

My hope is that we are competitive in every game and play with a new identity that makes me believe in the project rather than struggling in a relegation battle from the off. If we start poorly then the focus on footballing philosophy and blooding young players gets forgotten about because it just becomes about fighting for your lives and the stress/worry of relegation. A decent start is so important to ease everyone and bring the fans and club together behind this new project. 

At this junction we find ourselves at, we have to allow ourselves a degree of optimism else there is literally no point in supporting your club. You have to allow yourself moments of what could be in a positive light and remain open minded. None of us know, we're truly  stepping into the unknown, we can either be excited or write it off already. The first 5-10 games are huge and I'm already looking forward to seeing how it pans out. 

At the beginning of a season, I will never find a mid table finish, as exceptable.

Edited by rigger

23 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

You really have no idea.

As stated, why mention that you have had secret supposed meetings that you cannot divulge what happened in other than to appear to know more than everyone else? And why if these have happened are the club having these meetings with individuals in the first place if its all a secret?

• Like 2