BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke (h) - Saturday 27th August 3pm

1 minute ago, Devon Rover said:

One of the things I have felt really positive about since JDT arrived is his apparent honesty and openness in interviews. It will be interesting now that there is some justified "heat" to see if this continues and he accepts his selections led to the result today. That lineup was horrible. He certainly  needs the club to step up and support him to have more to choose from, but he also screwed up today with that starting 11. He made some good mitigating decisions, but the damage had been done.

Window closing, it could be a big moment for JDT to really tell it like it is...

That starting 11 was beyond “ Mowbrayesque “ , it was beyond belief. It was guaranteed to see us behind at half time.

• Like 6

It's as if we've been crap all of 2022.

Wait a minute, we have!

We've carried last season's poor form into this one and I do worry that the management team's lack of EFL nous may cost us dearly in the weeks and months ahead.

On the other hand we will have some new and returning players to call on.

I doubt anyone can call this season, but I will be very surprised if we aren't around the bottom battling for points.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I’d take Big Sam tactics (ie winning) over what we’ve seen so far this season, every single day of the week.

Spot on.

Organise, organise and then organise again.

Make life feckin difficult for the opposition.

Remember when we beat Spurs in the League Cup Final in Cardiff some 20 years ago with the players available (several missing), Souey got a tune out of what we had - physical (Hughes prowling midfield), aggressive and organised.  Pre match, not many gave us a prayer - we stuffed it back down their throats.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think Gavlars point is we never really stretched their keeper despite the time we were in the final third, which is a fair point imo.

If I was a Stokie I would have come out feeling that we defended well and were largely in control despite the pressure.

I'd hate to be a 'Stokie' but I'd come away from that match thinking our tactics in the second half can't have been to repel wave after wave of Rovers attack - by hook or crook.

37 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Shocking first half personified by Buckley and JRC...

Hedges, Wharton changed the game.

Diaz also very poor.  Dolan very frustrating.

Ayala class 

It's a shame if that's Brereton's last game in a Rovers shirt - he worked his socks off, but his end product was abysmal. Very much played like a man who has had his head scrambled with all the transfer talk.

He was giving the bench every physical signal that he was knackered wanted to come off, but they had no one to bring on for him.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’d take Big Sam tactics (ie winning) over what we’ve seen so far this season, every single day of the week.

Big Sam tactics aren't really "winning ones" though are they, it's win one, lose one, draw one - Liverpool/ManU away today -  take the day off - win one lose one draw one - well done you've made it to 50 points - take the rest of the season off !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Big Sam tactics aren't really "winning ones" though are they, it's win one, lose one, draw one - Liverpool/ManU away today -  take the day off - win one lose one draw one - well done you've made it to 50 points - take the rest of the season off !

There’s a clue for you - Liverpool/ManU away. Not played off the park by managerless Stoke at home for 45 minutes.

• Like 7

You can't just turn up for one half at this level which is exactly what we did. It's no exaggeration to say Stoke will have been disappointed not to be at least three up at half time such was their dominance. But in truth we asked for everything we got, no energy or pace to our game, players slow in possession, taking four touches when one or two was required and a general malaise right through the team which was infuriating. Whilst nobody came out with credit in this period I was really angry at Buckley who almost played like he didn't want to be or as my brother said like he had a heavy night on the booze last night. Rankin-Costello simply isn't good enough but I expected far more from Buckley even if it was only running around a bit. His body language was shocking and perhaps he showed his true colours today. The half time changes out us on the front foot and injected some urgency into us. Suddenly our passes were finding their targets and were far more precise and on the second half performance could have got a point. Overall though I'm feeling really flat as our excellent start has disintegrated and reality has kicked in, no doubt for Tomasson too.

Today once again highlights how inadequate our squad is. If we lose a player or two it weakens us incredibly as the back up players just aren't good enough. With a few days to go (one of them being a match day) Broughton has to pull his bloody finger out and pull some rabbits out of hats otherwise it's going to be another season of mid table mediocrity.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, JohnD said:

No, nay , never.

I got the feeling that teams would rather not play us when Sam was in charge, get the feeling they look forward to it at the moment. You have to make yourself hard to beat before you should anything else. Sams football could be ugly but it was tough and ugly.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We already know these things - as we know that Dack and Buckley can't play false 9 and Gallagher can't play wide right.  

I genuinely wonder what these professionals are thinking at times.

We missed Gallagher today - never thought I'd catch myself saying that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It's as if we've been crap all of 2022.

Wait a minute, we have!

We've carried last season's poor form into this one and I do worry that the management team's lack of EFL nous may cost us dearly in the weeks and months ahead.

On the other hand we will have some new and returning players to call on.

I doubt anyone can call this season, but I will be very surprised if we aren't around the bottom battling for points.

It all depends what we do in the transfer window in the next few days.

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He was giving the bench every physical signal that he was knackered wanted to come off, but they had no one to bring on for him.

Great that we're selling him... Know that it's necessary so he doesnt go for free but Lord, what are we going to do? Find it hard to think we'll get someone in quickly enough. Wars have been won in the time we get transfers in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You can't just turn up for one half at this level which is exactly what we did. It's no exaggeration to say Stoke will have been disappointed not to be at least three up at half time such was their dominance. But in truth we asked for everything we got, no energy or pace to our game, players slow in possession, taking four touches when one or two was required and a general malaise right through the team which was infuriating. Whilst nobody came out with credit in this period I was really angry at Buckley who almost played like he didn't want to be or as my brother said like he had a heavy night on the booze last night. Rankin-Costello simply isn't good enough but I expected far more from Buckley even if it was only running around a bit. His body language was shocking and perhaps he showed his true colours today. The half time changes out us on the front foot and injected some urgency into us. Suddenly our passes were finding their targets and were far more precise and on the second half performance could have got a point. Overall though I'm feeling really flat as our excellent start has disintegrated and reality has kicked in, no doubt for Tomasson too.

Today once again highlights how inadequate our squad is. If we lose a player or two it weakens us incredibly as the back up players just aren't good enough. With a few days to go (one of them being a match day) Broughton has to pull his bloody finger out and pull some rabbits out of hats otherwise it's going to be another season of mid table mediocrity.

Great post. Spot on.

• Like 1

I'm not one to give player ratings often, but JRC and Buckley honestly deserve a 0/10. Wayward passing, lazy, stupid, casual and out of their depth. Some guy shouted at around the 40 minute mark that he had as many completed passes as the both of them combined... and he wasn't much exaggerating.

Hopefully JDT learns a valuable lesson about his BS tactics the past 3 games, or else he best not make plans to be in England come winter.

Side note: walked past Greg Broughton pre match. Never seen a guy walk with a more "my shit don't stink" look on his face... he also totally blanked us trying to say hello. Arrogance at it's finest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair point, I probably should have gone with 'organised and hard to beat'.

We're Blackburn Rovers, we have no history or culture for playing pretty football. We won the Premier League by being as direct as you can be. We won the League Cup by being organised, hard to score against and hitting a couple of goals on the counter (and Brad being superhuman).

As per our motto, we want a combination of skill and hard work. We want to see players being warriors on the pitch and showing some passion first and foremost. We can accept being beaten if we can see the effort. Pretty flowing football is way down the priority list.

• Like 1

Once again we have struggled against a team who have come at us. The only high press evident today was theirs in the first half, and with our pathetic midfield display they really should’ve been out of sight. And as much as we huffed and puffed second half, they were pretty happy to let their monstrous back line sit back and defend.

Kaminski - couple of good saves, some shite kicking, questions over the goal.

JRC - never been a fullback in a million years. Mowbray, and now seemingly JDT shoehorning him in there has ruined his career before it started.

Ayala - We are now completely and utterly reliant on him to stay fit as things stand. That’s obviously a massive concern. Colossal performance again.

Phillips - I thought this was has best outing yet. Can hold his head up high.

Pickering - absolutely miles off the required standard. A pathetic defender and despite having a good left foot there’s no trade off as he offers next to nothing in an attacking sense.

Buckley - hiding again. Seems his effort levels have dropped right off. Cowardly performance. Needs dropping.

Morton - completely wasteful, largely anonymous

Travis - bad day at the office

Dack - Didn’t take his opportunity. Nothing performance.

Brereton - few glimpses running from deep but no end product today

Szmodics - pointless

Dolan - frustrating today. Got in some good positions but wasteful

Hedges - changed the game in an attacking sense. Gave us a real outlet and tried to make things happen. Important player for us at the moment and one of the first names on the team sheet, surely.

Wharton - gave us something in midfield where we’d previously been miles off. Should be played ahead of loanees. Deserves a start over Buckley. Big future for this lad.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rebelmswar said:

I got the feeling that teams would rather not play us when Sam was in charge, get the feeling they look forward to it at the moment. You have to make yourself hard to beat before you should anything else. Sams football could be ugly but it was tough and ugly.

You didn’t got to Old Trafford a few weeks before he was sacked then? 

• Like 1

Absolutely terrible result and now 3 losses in a row in the league and lots of worries to think about.

2 of 3 signings will seemingly be defenders but our attack is a huge area of concern, especially as we will likely lose Brereton. I keep hearing about a fluid front 4, high pressing and high intensity and lots of talk about how Tomasson "likes to play" often spearheaded by @chaddyrovers. Well not only today but all season, any sign of a coherent attacking plan has been totally absent, there have been players out of positon, very few chances created and very little threat offered, Dack up front, Szmodics on the right, what was all that about? The passing out from the back doesn't work with these players either. We need more than what we seemingly will get from the window.

We are so thin on the ground and there are players who are a million miles away from the standard. Rankin Costello was bloody shocking, if Brittain is out for long we are going to struggle because he is incompetent as a stand in and played for 45 minutes too long. Dolan is very poor too, no brain at all, constant unncessary step overs and flicks but no end product, not a Championship player. You can see how thin on the ground we are, Phillips again being flogged (he is so vulnerable in the air and easily bullied which is understandable at his age, not ready yet) and such a weak bench aside from Hedges.

Kaminski was very poor with a few terrible kicks and the goal shouldn't go in like that from there, Buckley continued a poor start to the season and Szmodics was below par before he went off. Dack was out of position but played like someone who hasn't started in 2 years.

Ayala was very good again, Pickering was also good and showed the difference between him and Edun, Morton was decent and Adam Wharton and Hedges really improved us.

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Another winning bet @chaddyrovers but you tend to disregard these!

IMO, big question marks now against JDT.

Yep, we all know we need new players but it's also about making the best use of what you have and, so far, I don't think he has demonstrated he knows how to set a team up.

After a full pre season, friendlies and almost 10 competitive matches and if he still thinks Rankin-Costello, Pickering, Buckley and Dolan are players then Houston, we have a problem.

Think we will get walloped on Wednesday at Blackpool.

Worrying times, very worrying times - we could be heading for a relegation dog fight.

Who the fuck else does he have to play?!

He had to move our best CM to RB today in the second half to solve that problem - and replace him with an 18 year old making his league debut.

Mowbray has left him with a shambles of a squad, it's going to take time to fix.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Once again we have struggled against a team who have come at us. The only high press evident today was theirs in the first half, and with our pathetic midfield display they really should’ve been out of sight. And is much as we huffed and puffed second half, they were pretty happy to let their monstrous back line sit back and defend.

Kaminski - couple of good saves, some shite kicking, questions over the goal.

JRC - never been a fullback in a million years. Mowbray, and now seemingly JDT shoehorning him in there has ruined his career before it started.

Ayala - We are now completely and utterly reliant on him to stay fit as things stand. That’s obviously a massive concern. Colossal performance again.

Phillips - I thought this was has best outing yet. Can hold his head up high.

Pickering - absolutely miles off the required standard. A pathetic defender and despite having a good left foot theirs no trad off as he offers next to nothing in an attacking sense.

Buckley - hiding again. Seems his effort levels have dropped right off. Needs dropping.

Morton - completely wasteful, largely anonymous

Travis - bad day at the office

Dack - Didn’t take his opportunity. Nothing performance.

Brereton - few glimpses running from deep but no end product today

Szmodics - pointless

Dolan - frustrating today. Got in some good positions but wasteful

Hedges - changed the game in an attacking sense. Gave us a real outlet and tried to make things happen. Important player for us at the moment and one of the first names on the team sheet, surely.

Wharton - gave us something in midfield where we’d previously been miles off. Should be played ahead of loanees. Deserves a start over Buckley. Big future for this lad.

I think your opinion on Pickering has clouded your judgement somewhat. He was very steady again and also got forward a few times with crosses and interplay down the left.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think your opinion on Pickering has clouded your judgement somewhat. He was very steady again and also got forward a few times with crosses and interplay down the left.

Agree with this - Pickering was ok today, not particularly good or bad.

I did feel that he was hesitant to get forward, but did make a goal-saving block quite early in the first half. I feel he's the go-to boo boy at the minute, even when he's not particularly bad.

Also don't agree on Morton. Didn't too much, but saw a lot of the ball. Looked a lot happier alongside Wharton and I feel that they'll end up being the first choice CMs very quickly.

• Like 2