BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

There is certainly a much more feel good factor about the club after a decent transfer window, a consistent set of positive messages from JDT, a lack of panic following the three back to back league defeats and the uplift of an away win at a Lancashire rival (albeit a poor side).

JDT has to build upon this and get the team to put in a real shift on Saturday, so that fans can begin to believe in the 'project' and opposition can begin to fear the trip to Ewood Park once again - it was 'Fortress Ewood' for a long time not so long ago after all 😉

Key to this will be:

• BBD and Dack continuing to forge a partnership that bamboozles and befuddles opposition defences and unlocks goal-scoring potential for the team
  • Midfield getting stuck in and not wilting when faced with aggressive / more physical opponents (such as happened at Reading, Sheff Utd and against Stoke)
  • More consistency throughout the team in terms of passing and movement, including tracking back to add steel to our improved back line

The positives from the past week that should help this to work are, imo, the 'discovery' of a new midfield gem in Adam Wharton, the arrival of Dom Hyam and Mola in the back line (Hyam has that no-nonsense upright style of play reminiscent of Faz in his pomp), new options up front with Hirst looking to prove his worth. If JDT is the half the coach he appears to be from early season success and his interviews, he now has a great opportunity to blend an exciting and strong group of players into a flexible team capable of matching (and beating) any team in this division - and that includes those with parachute riches too.

For me we have to have something in the tank to rise to the challenge from teams who simply try to out-muscle opponents, whilst the football purist in me wants to feel entertained and certain that those in the famous blue and white are putting in a shift week in, week out.

Someone commented in the Blackpool thread that they hoped that would be the start of a new challenge from Rovers and I do hope that the good vibes that were evident during and after that game are repeated on Saturday against Brizzle.

COYB!

Difficult game this, though no reason why we can’t win it. Doubt we will see Ayala, Brittain or Gally, however I believe Wharton is back for this. If he is, I would match their system. 

Kaminski 

Carter Hyam Wharton 

Buckley Travis Wharton Pickering 

Hedges Dack Diaz 

Quite harsh on Morton however while Travis is capable at RB I feel he would be out of depth at wing back. Buckley on the other hand is very capable of that role. 

Part of me would love to see Hirst from the start with Hedges Dack and Diaz playing off him, I just feel we will need to match there system though to get 3 points.

Assuming Brittain, Ayala, Gally still out and Wharton not fully fit to start. I’m going the same again with Hirst for Dolan.

Kaminski 

Trav    Carter      Hyam.      Pickering

Morton    A.Wharton

Hedges       Dack        Brereton-Diaz

Hirst

Subs - Pears, Wharton, Edun, Buckley, Szmodics, Dolan, Markanday

Interestingly, Travis played a lot of his younger years pre first team as a RB and RWB for Rovers. Could be a good option.

Also, in spite of their tender years, both Morton and A.Wharton don’t mind a tackle!! They break up play really well.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 4

What's actually wrong with Ayala, I can't remember seeing anything?

I'd be going for the same as Wednesday assuming no change on injury status, but if Dolan does nowt first half get Hirst on at the break and let's see what we're working with.

Bristol have some good options in attack and a clean sheet here would be a real achievement, they're yet to win or keep a clean sheet on the road though. It's all pointing towards a good game with goals at both ends.

3-1 home win

• Like 3

Id chuck the new lad in upfront straight away. Were missing a natural striker in there and someone with a bit of nous in the box. 

Kaminski

Trav   Hyam  Carter  Pickering

Morton Wharton

Hedges        Dack      BBD

Hirst

Whats the prognosis for brittain? Ive not heard any info on why hes out or for how long?

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, benhben said:

Id chuck the new lad in upfront straight away. Were missing a natural striker in there and someone with a bit of nous in the box. 

Kaminski

Trav   Hyam  Carter  Pickering

Morton Wharton

Hedges        Dack      BBD

Hirst

Whats the prognosis for brittain? Ive not heard any info on why hes out or for how long?

That's a decent looking side there.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team based that I don't think Brittain, Ayala and Gallagher won't be fit for the game

Kaminski

Travis  Carter  Hyam  Pickering

Morton  A.Wharton

Hedges     Dack       BBD

Hirst

Subs:- Pears, Edun, Buckley, Phillips, Vale, Dolan, Markanday

Picks itself really, as you say the three injured players are unlikely to be in the frame from what we hear. If Wharton is fit enough to be on the bench that would be a big plus. I’d have him in the squad instead of Phillips. Give the lad a rest.

44 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

What's actually wrong with Ayala, I can't remember seeing anything?

I'd be going for the same as Wednesday assuming no change on injury status, but if Dolan does nowt first half get Hirst on at the break and let's see what we're working with.

Bristol have some good options in attack and a clean sheet here would be a real achievement, they're yet to win or keep a clean sheet on the road though. It's all pointing towards a good game with goals at both ends.

3-1 home win

Ayala was having a scan on a calf injury on Wednesday but there has been nothing reported about the result of this. If I remember correctly it was a similar injury that kept him out for some time in the second half of last season.

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Picks itself really, as you say the three injured players are unlikely to be in the frame from what we hear. If Wharton is fit enough to be on the bench that would be a big plus. I’d have him in the squad instead of Phillips. Give the lad a rest.

I rather leave Scott Wharton for another week and ready for Wigan game. 

I don't think Szmodics can be in squad cos of concession protocol

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I rather leave Scott Wharton for another week and ready for Wigan game. 

I don't think Szmodics can be in squad cos of concession protocol

Ha ha  - I actually tried to look this up, then realised it was a Chadsterism (like Spoonerism but more serious) and that he meant concussion protocol. I was wondering if there were perhaps new rules about fielding players who concede possession too often, or who maybe have too many offspring to allow cut price admission via the players entrance or something. Anyway, I think Szmodic has potentially slipped down the pecking order in any case, with the arrival of Hirst and the rehabilitation of Dack. He will have some work to do to get back in the team, methinks.

I believe our newly stabilised back line will be the bedrock of a return to the confident and capable approach we showed in the first three games, which I hope will translate into a good result for Rovers tomorrow.

COYB! JDTBWA!

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Ayala was having a scan on a calf injury on Wednesday but there has been nothing reported about the result of this. If I remember correctly it was a similar injury that kept him out for some time in the second half of last season.

On the absence of Ayala, head coach Tomasson said: “Dan for sure has been one of the best players in the seasonWhen I got to know that he couldn’t be play I was disappointed but we all know his history of playing games and injury. It shouldn’t be a serious injury but he wasn’t fit.”

That was in the LT yesterday. Probably said after the game. So hopefully he'd already had the scan when it was said and it's not serious.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that Ayala only missed one game due to injury in the second half of the season. He didn't play because Mowbray didn't pick him ahead of Lenihan, Wharton and JPVH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TruRover said:

Difficult game this, though no reason why we can’t win it. Doubt we will see Ayala, Brittain or Gally, however I believe Wharton is back for this. If he is, I would match their system. 

Kaminski 

Carter Hyam Wharton 

Buckley Travis Wharton Pickering 

Hedges Dack Diaz 

Quite harsh on Morton however while Travis is capable at RB I feel he would be out of depth at wing back. Buckley on the other hand is very capable of that role. 

Part of me would love to see Hirst from the start with Hedges Dack and Diaz playing off him, I just feel we will need to match there system though to get 3 points.

I wouldn’t break up the morton Wharton partnership 

• Like 2

Would love to see Ayala back for this one, with Carter filling in at RB;

image.png.f2824ae6be5e08a0f5a5dc6858e9beeb.png

It's unfortunate after a good performance against Blackpool, but i'd bench Morton to make room for Travis in the middle - and of course Adam Wharton should be the first name on the team sheet after the other night.

With this line-up i'd be pretty confident of a win, and a clean sheet. Will go 2-0 Rovers.

• Like 2

Hard to call this one, new faces, new tactics, injuries, JDT, how will we play, can we get TWO good halves.  Lot of uncertainty for me BUT at the same time there is a level of excitement about us that I have not had for sometime.  Even when we were second last year there was a nagging certainty that we would blow it.  This "journey" could go either way, gut feel it will be good.

4 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Hard to call this one, new faces, new tactics, injuries, JDT, how will we play, can we get TWO good halves.  Lot of uncertainty for me BUT at the same time there is a level of excitement about us that I have not had for sometime.  Even when we were second last year there was a nagging certainty that we would blow it.  This "journey" could go either way, gut feel it will be good.

Agree with all that. The bit in bold resonates. I think with Mowbray the feeling was the  journey would always finish somewhere in mid-table. With JDT it's more of an unknown. I've predicted 9th but that's a bit 'safety first' wishful thinking. It could just as easily be 22th or 2nd. 

Think the camp must be buzzing after Wednesday's win at Blackpool, with BBD still here and Dack on his way back.

Supremely confident about tomorrow and can't see beyond a Rovers' win and have lumped on at 6/5.

COYB.

• Like 2