BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (h) - 13/9/22 (possibly)…

21 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Doesn't Sarr play on the right side of the front 3 and Pedro is number 9 isn't he

Doesn't matter what side they play on, up against Carter or Pickering, they will have a field day.

We have zero pace in our back line (and the team in general!).

They are going to tear us to shreds.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Doesn't matter what side they play on, up against Carter or Pickering, they will have a field day.

I agree generally, but I tend to think the 352 will let us double up on the right and left. Better than leaving Carter and Pickering one on one with their wide players.

Basically we're going to have to play direct in behind  their wing backs and get Brereton and Hirst to run the channels.

But really however we play Watford have the players to hurt us unfortunately. There's not a 1 against 1 on the pitch where we clearly have the advantage and a number where Watford do.

Hate being defeatist but that's how it looks on paper.

But again it's the Championship - often we get surprised, so theres that to hold onto!

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? You wouldn't play Harry Kane or Mo Salah or Haaland on the left wing cos you think that the weakness of the opposition

In the game against the dingles they play 4-2-3-1 formation? I haven't seen them in other games. 

If it got goals, then yes I would. I would expect the players you mentioned, to score from wherever they started in the forward line. But if the opposition has a weak area, I would exploit it by putting my best equiped player, against that weakness. 

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Not for me, Carter is decent enough and I rated Pickering. 

We will cause them plenty of problems with our attacking play and I think we will win this 2-1.  

35 minutes ago, rigger said:

If it got goals, then yes I would. I would expect the players you mentioned, to score from wherever they started in the forward line. But if the opposition has a weak area, I would exploit it by putting my best equiped player, against that weakness. 

Sounds like something Mowbray would do does that. 

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

In fairness they lost to QPR and drew with Rotherham,Brum and Preston.

If we perform as we did in the last game,Reading and Sheff United we will get a pasting. 

But we have had glimpses of being solid and decent in some of our performances.If S Wharton is back and Travis back in midfield then hopefully we look a bit more solid.If Sarr is left isolated v the full back then we will be in trouble but the same goes for most the division.

We have had 9 days since the last match so hopefully we will see a much better performance tomorrow night.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me, Carter is decent enough and I rated Pickering. 

We will cause them plenty of problems with our attacking play and I think we will win this 2-1.  

Sounds like something Mowbray would do does that. 

It is the complete opposit of what Mowbray would do. He would have set up a team to counter the oppositions strengths, rather than exploit their weaknesses. I don't really wish to bore everyone to sleep, with a game of, You said, I said. So let's call a halt to this discussion.

I hate writing in this vein; but I fear that Watford will gives us a right tonking - not a Fulham-last-season tonking - but the kind of defeat that Bristol City, if they'd taken their chances, could have given us.

It's games like this that remind me of JDT's reminder that, as far as he and Gregg are concerned, the BRFC "Project" isn't one to produce overnight results, but will take 2 or 3 Transfer Windows to bear full fruit. So, more like the "Johnny Carey" gradual improvement over 3 or 4 seasons in the 1950s than Uncle Jack's strengthening of the team. (Although, to be fair, that was under way - with the arrival of Tony Dobson and Steve Livingstone - before the national media became aware of this upstart team taking the Premiership - as it then was - by storm.)

It's a weird looking scoreline; but I reckon it'll be something like Rovers 1, Watford 4.

23 minutes ago, rigger said:

It is the complete opposit of what Mowbray would do. He would have set up a team to counter the oppositions strengths, rather than exploit their weaknesses. I don't really wish to bore everyone to sleep, with a game of, You said, I said. So let's call a halt to this discussion.

I would set up the team with players playing in their best positions. 

Watford are a difficult team to prepare for, last game they played Bayo and Pedro up front and a back 3 and drew at Rotherham, the former scored and the latter is possibly their biggest threat, but I presume Sarr is fit again so I am unsure if they will carry on in that formation. Plus they have Keinan Davis who bullied us last season.

They have a potential weakness down the right of their defence, whether it is someone out of position or Gaspar who is an older player settling in. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Watford are a difficult team to prepare for, last game they played Bayo and Pedro up front and a back 3 and drew at Rotherham, the former scored and the latter is possibly their biggest threat, but I presume Sarr is fit again so I am unsure if they will carry on in that formation. Plus they have Keinan Davis who bullied us last season.

I agree with your first point. I think they will set either 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 cos with those forward options you would want to play 3 up front. Hopefully Hyam, Ayala or Scott Wharton can stop Davis if he plays having much of impact on the game. 

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Ayala and Wharton are both available then it is a tough selection as I am not sure that you can look past either of those even for Hyam.

It doesn't sound like Ayala will play, from that. Wharton he described as back, Ayala only as training. I expect Wharton in the middle with Carter moved to RB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It doesn't sound like Ayala will play, from that. Wharton he described as back, Ayala only as training. I expect Wharton in the middle with Carter moved to RB.

I would feel much more comfortable with that as if we go with Travis at right back then we are in for a very long night. We need Brittain back ASAP.

• Like 1