BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

On 24/10/2022 at 13:00, chaddyrovers said:

Still not interested in the world cup yet. I will be able to watch all games if I wish to but I will pick and choose the games I will watch. 

I would say Germany, Spain, Argentina and Brazil will be favourites for it. Tho England might surprise contender depending on form and how we take to conditions

The same Germany who were atrocious at the back against us? They've been as bad as we have lately.  Neither England or Germany will win it

The world cup 2026 being held in USA, Canada and Mexico will be more interesting and I still remember the world cup in 94 being so great. 

Hopefully the world cup in 2030 will be held either in Europe or South America. The European bid is from Spain, Portugal and Ukraine. The South America bid is from Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. Also, Morocco has bid for the world cup in 2030 and Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Greece are bidding also.  

All these can be true;

• The bidding process for Qatar was corrupt. It should never have been given the World Cup.
  • They have exploited workers building the facilities.
  • The timing is odd and domestic leagues will see ripple effects from it once the season starts again.
  • However, I'm looking forward to it. I love the World Cup.

Brazil and Argentina look to be favourites. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's a total joke really. The entire world cup is being played in an area about as big as and  with the rough population of Yorkshire, and the indentured labour practices are horrific.

The international football community needs to figure out how travesties like this world cup or awarding Russia last time can be avoided.

I've got no problem with new territories getting world cups providing they hit some base level of size - 30M people? And have respectable human rights records. This needs to be part of the selection criteria. If not democracies need to be willing to walk away from FIFA.

I fear we are not far away from a world cup in China - obviously will qualify on the size aspect, but human rights are totally unacceptable. How does the west handle that?

Ill do my best to get enthused by Qatar but its going to be tough going. I hope the players use the platform to protest.

If you want a world cup to be held by a country with good human rights then there won't be many on the list. There definitely won't be one in England. 

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

If you want a world cup to be held by a country with good human rights then there won't be many on the list. There definitely won't be one in England. 

A bit of hyperbole this, and offensive to the slave migrant workers, especially the thousands who lost their lives. Not to mention anybody gay, non-muslim or even bloody female!

Yes there is lots wrong with our country, but it's chalk and cheese.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, superniko said:

A bit of hyperbole this, and offensive to the slave migrant workers, especially the thousands who lost their lives. Not to mention anybody gay, non-muslim or even bloody female!

Yes there is lots wrong with our country, but it's chalk and cheese.

Britain openly supports, arms and funds those countries, so not really.

Hard to really get excited about this tournament. All it has done is disrupt the domestic season which is what the majority of fans actually care about. 

The world cup is a fantastic spectacle and always entertaining, but club football is the real deal. 

Regardless of the numerous political and ethical reasons against holding the world cup in a place like Qatar, if the competition can't be played in the off season due to the weather conditions then it should be hosted by a country that can fit in with the domestic schedule.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Think we could do with steering this back towards football, please guys.

It's difficult to focus purely on football with this World Cup. The human rights abuses are impossible to ignore and thats without mentioning how ludicrous it is to have it in the middle of the domestic season. I will watch it and hope it can be a catalyst for change, though if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, that is a slight excuse to ignore my own moral compass, which really is telling me I and all football fans should really be boycotting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t say I’m a Welsh football expert, but there’s no place for Hedges over any of these?

Midfielders: Aaron Ramsey (Nice), Joe Allen (Swansea City), Harry Wilson (Fulham), Joe Morrell (Portsmouth), Dylan Levitt (Dundee United), Rubin Colwill (Cardiff City), Jonny Williams (Swindon Town), Matthew Smith (Milton Keynes Dons), Sorba Thomas (Huddersfield Town).

• Like 1

• Backroom
On 28/10/2022 at 09:10, ben_the_beast said:

It's difficult to focus purely on football with this World Cup. The human rights abuses are impossible to ignore and thats without mentioning how ludicrous it is to have it in the middle of the domestic season. I will watch it and hope it can be a catalyst for change, though if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, that is a slight excuse to ignore my own moral compass, which really is telling me I and all football fans should really be boycotting. 

Even with our work sweepstake, we've foregone prizes to donate to BIHR.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Can’t say I’m a Welsh football expert, but there’s no place for Hedges over any of these?

Midfielders: Aaron Ramsey (Nice), Joe Allen (Swansea City), Harry Wilson (Fulham), Joe Morrell (Portsmouth), Dylan Levitt (Dundee United), Rubin Colwill (Cardiff City), Jonny Williams (Swindon Town), Matthew Smith (Milton Keynes Dons), Sorba Thomas (Huddersfield Town).

I think Page has sorted his mates out for a swansong.  They ain't winning it whatever.

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think Page has sorted his mates out for a swansong.  They ain't winning it whatever.

When you look at that list of midfielders it's ridiculous he's not included Hedges. Even moreso when you consider his versatility. Again its pretty good news from a Rovers perspective, but I'd have loved to see us have representation at the world Cup.

Looks like our whole squad is going to get a good rest. Frustrating that Brereton has friendlies with Chile though. He's the player who could do with a rest more than any other.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2022 at 14:42, Sparks Rover said:

Indeed. A quote from Robert Page:

I’ve stayed loyal to the lads that have earned the right to be there.

Page is choosing players for all the wrong reasons here. Staying loyal to League Two players over somebody who is far superior in terms of ability and form two leagues higher up is insane. It's clearly "jobs for the boys" in the Wales camp. Picking Jonny Williams over Ryan Hedges is akin to Southgate picking Jack Wilshere over Jack Grealish. Nuts.

I think the biggest blow for Hedges is realising he's 27 and Wales don't always qualify for the big tournaments, even if they've done better in recent years. Hedges will be 28/29 by the time the next major tournament comes, so he could still get his chance, but time is running out.

Let's hope it gives Hedges some extra motivation to prove his point to Page live on Sky against the Dingles.

• Like 2

I think it is a different situation with Wales who for example compared to England, have a much smaller pool of players and a much bigger reliance on a siege mentality.

Had Hedges been included, he would likely have not got close to game time anyway with Gareth Bale, Brennan Johnson, Dan James etc. Gunter and Williams don't play in the same position but their experience of previous successful tournaments could prove invaluable as 25th/26th members of the squad who likely won't kick a ball.

3 hours ago, goozburger said:

Indeed. A quote from Robert Page:

Page is choosing players for all the wrong reasons here. Staying loyal to League Two players over somebody who is far superior in terms of ability and form two leagues higher up is insane. It's clearly "jobs for the boys" in the Wales camp. Picking Jonny Williams over Ryan Hedges is akin to Southgate picking Jack Wilshere over Jack Grealish. Nuts.

I think the biggest blow for Hedges is realising he's 27 and Wales don't always qualify for the big tournaments, even if they've done better in recent years. Hedges will be 28/29 by the time the next major tournament comes, so he could still get his chance, but time is running out.

Let's hope it gives Hedges some extra motivation to prove his point to Page live on Sky against the Dingles.

As glad as I am that we'll have a full squad for the world cup training break, this is absolutely disgusting. No wonder Wales are a shit team.