BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

3 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I wonder what common factor links the last 10 to 12 years where we have struggled to be organised in the transfer window. Hmmm does any one know? What is different about us than other clubs

ITS FUCKING VENKYS not Broughton 

What you mean they were only winding us up when we were in the market for Messi and Ronaldo?

My dreams are shattered.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No wind up.  Simply factual.

Some have mentioned different staff same outcome, some have mentioned budgetary constraints.

Two points:

• Firstly, hire staff who can do the feckin job. 
  • Secondly, Broughton knows the budget so he should either fish in the right feckin ponds or wheel and deal. 

I think indecision and lack of nous and judgement are holding us back.

Other clubs with budgetary constraints manage to make signings so why the feck can't we!?  There are simply no excuses.

How can it be factual when it is your opinion? You think way too highly of yourself

You said GB's inability to close a deal is frightening but he's 'closed' half a dozen deals in his limited time at the club

It looks like he is fishing in the right ponds too. A player that Watford are after and a loan signing that is agreed, pending Brighton's decision on whether he remains a PL squad player or gets time in the Championship. Two decent targets if you ask me

Yet again you are talking nonsense

• Like 6

Good to see our recruitment department appears to be just as incompetent as it was before Broughton rocked up. For those defending him- it's up to him to have identified and sorted any practical issues out- he'll be being paid enough to do so.

• Like 2

Well before this window whoever was deciding what pond to fish in should have made sure they had concrete assurances as to where they stood regarding finances. If those assurances weren’t forthcoming they should be reconsidering their position.

How can you do the job otherwise ? 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I wonder what common factor links the last 10 to 12 years where we have struggled to be organised in the transfer window. Hmmm does any one know? What is different about us than other clubs

ITS FUCKING VENKYS not Broughton 

I think many of us recognise they are not the most ideal of owners.

However, all successful senior managers are able to manage/lead upwards.  Being proactive, having excellent communication skills and being able to persuade/influence are all prerequisites.  Not read anywhere that Broughton has even met our owners, if he hasn't then it's time he got off his arse and got to Pune and started to do the job for which he is bloody well paid. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

How can it be factual when it is your opinion? You think way too highly of yourself

You said GB's inability to close a deal is frightening but he's 'closed' half a dozen deals in his limited time at the club

It looks like he is fishing in the right ponds too. A player that Watford are after and a loan signing that is agreed, pending Brighton's decision on whether he remains a PL squad player or gets time in the Championship. Two decent targets if you ask me

Yet again you are talking nonsense

Yep, Hirst, Mola, Szmodics, Morton and new contracts for Buckley and Travis were some feckin deals to close!

If you have targets and they go elsewhere then your targets were either unrealistic or you have failed.

Nonsense, I don't think so - just plain facts which sadly don't sit comfortably with many supporters who would prefer to bury their heads in the sand.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

It's disappointing no signings have been brought in but a bid accepted for Porteous and the financial package with Brighton agreed for Undav.

Will it be Broughton's fault if Porteous decides to join Udinese or Watford and Undav decides to go back to Belgium?

I understand Broughton has been meeting both targets and their representatives.  If they choose to go elsewhere then he aint doing a feckin good selling job!  Bottom line, he's not closing the deal!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good to see our recruitment department appears to be just as incompetent as it was before Broughton rocked up. For those defending him- it's up to him to have identified and sorted any practical issues out- he'll be being paid enough to do so.

I certainly havent been bowled over like some regarding Broughton, I judge him on the deals he has got over the line and in the main they are underwhelming.

But it is no coincedence that we have constantly had a problem closing deals throughout the tenure of Venkys.

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It's disappointing no signings have been brought in but a bid accepted for Porteous and the financial package with Brighton agreed for Undav.

Will it be Broughton's fault if Porteous decides to join Udinese or Watford and Undav decides to go back to Belgium?

Not necessarily but he should be judged on the deals we do get done. If neither of those happen then they become irrelevant, no interest in any hard luck stories.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yep, Hirst, Mola, Szmodics, Morton and new contracts for Buckley and Travis were some feckin deals to close!

If you have targets and they go elsewhere then your targets were either unrealistic or you have failed.

Nonsense, I don't think so - just plain facts which sadly don't sit comfortably with many supporters who would prefer to bury their heads in the sand.

If he hadn't got Buckley and Travis under new contracts you would be criticising him for that.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I understand Broughton has been meeting both targets and their representatives.  If they chose to go elsewhere then he aint doing a feckin good selling job!  Bottom line, he's not closing the deal!

And if other clubs are offering more money?

Cash is king.It could be Lionel Messi or Zidane as our DOF but if other clubs are offering more money to our targets than Broughton is permitted then what exactly is he supposed to do?

Let's see where we are at the end of the window 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think many of us recognise they are not the most ideal of owners.

However, all successful senior managers are able to manage/lead upwards.  Being proactive, having excellent communication skills and being able to persuade/influence are all prerequisites.  Not read anywhere that Broughton has even met our owners, if he hasn't then it's time he got off his arse and got to Pune and started to do the job for which he is bloody well paid. 

You don't turn up uninvited in Pune and barge your way in to see Mrs Desai. You have to wait until they ask .

So little patience on here like back in the summer! Calm down everyone, the club are working hard behind the scenes, we just have no control over our own transfer windows any more -they are in the hands of the Premier League clubs. Unless another team goes into financial difficulty, in that case we could pick someone up earlier than expected this week but again that would depend on the other clubs.

Either way Pear's future and a new goalkeeper will all get resolved on deadline day and the worst case scenario there is that Pear's stays, I'd be happy with that; he's been in great spirits on the bench this year and integral in some of the warm ups.

You have to understand that we simply don't have the revenue to compete, so I've decided to increase season ticket prices again for next year! See you all down at Ewood.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I certainly havent been bowled over like some regarding Broughton, I judge him on the deals he has got over the line and in the main they are underwhelming.

But it is no coincedence that we have constantly had a problem closing deals throughout the tenure of Venkys.

Not necessarily but he should be judged on the deals we do get done. If neither of those happen then they become irrelevant, no interest in any hard luck stories.

True and im certainly not proclaiming Broughton as the second coming and like you was underwhelmed with the buisness done in the summer but just taking a little issue with the likes of Mercer saying he isn't up to the job when he hasn't been in the job long enough to decide either way imo.

• Like 4

Plans for this, plans for that.

I just pine for the days when the likes of Furphy, Smith and Saxton just told the chairman who he wanted and the chairman did his best.

It seemed like people knew what they were doing, who these players were and it was kept simple.

• Like 3

Nothing has changed and the reason for that is because nothing at the top has changed. You can make changes to who does what, shuffle things around but it's all cosmetic. Fundamentally the core issue remains - disinterested clueless owners and their underlings wanting to cut costs.

Very conveniently though when business doesn't get done or questions get asked Mr Broughton is the go to man - he's the one paid to front the operation, deal with the  media and turn up to games. Meanwhile the others get to carry on as they were with no scrutiny or pressure. Almost as though that was the plan all along - add more layers and put more distance between those upstairs and the outcome of their policies.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, den said:

I just pine for the days when the likes of Furphy, Smith and Saxton just told the chairman who he wanted and the chairman did his best.

It seemed like people knew what they were doing, who these players were and it was kept simple.

Problem being, football (and the way it operates) has moved on a LOT in the last 40-50 years. Not really comparable, with all of the people involved in a particular transfer / squad numbers / work permits, etc.

There is still plenty of time to get some bodies in. Recall the hysteria just before several bodies arrived, most of which were totally under the radar, at the back end of the last transfer window.

As for Broughton, he’ll know what the stakes involved are.

Though, in the interests of fairness, bringing Hyam to the club and tying both A.Wharton and Philips down to long term deals in his first few months totally justifies any salary he’s being paid (as that seems to be relevant for one or two on here, bizarrely).

Edited by Andy
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If he hadn't got Buckley and Travis under new contracts you would be criticising him for that.

I think that could be more so to do with the fact they might not be replaced and would leave us short on bodies. I for one wouldn't mind if they didn't get new deal but there was players in to actually replace them. The fear is the squad numbers dwindling and becoming even thinner. We appear to struggle to get deals over the line so can't really afford to let people leave unfortunately. Current players may benefit as a result of this and get themselves new contracts.

You'd have more faith in Broughton and his recruitment "process" if he actually got some deals done early

In other words, targets identified before the window, negotiations done and dusted, and the signing a formality

As it is, as usual we're more than likely be scrambling around in the final days as the clock ticks and a desperate loanee comes in at the 11th hour

40 minutes ago, den said:

Then said no......

If we are skint, which we are, we are skint and teams will only allow deals at the back end of the window when those ducks are all in a row. 

Its the same every year for clubs with no money feeding off scraps. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Screenshot_20230123-131421_Twitter.jpg

Looks like he’s out of contract in summer so could be possible for pre contract. 

Not keen on sources from football league world so could be rubbish. If he’s pace & has an attacking threat then worth bribing in. Even though Pickering has been steady this season, we need someone with pace in that position.

• Like 2