BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We have needed a winger who can take his man on and get the ball in the box 

It’s just a bit stale up top. The lad might change

This next part isn’t aimed at you Rev, but you get the impression a few take the highly critical route for the sake of it. If he doesn’t succeed it is an easy told you so, if he does then it’s easy to say “well I obviously wanted him to succeed” 

Its a no lose situation 

This “pacy winger” that has often been the buzzword has arrived, albeit for a short loan, so let’s just see how the lad gets on 

Lets hope he's actually played as a pacy winger and not wingback or false 9.  

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hirst scored 15 for Portsmouth didn't he.

13 in the league. Bishop has 11 in the league and it's only January. Should end up with a few more than Hirst if he stays you'd think. Though I should say their minutes per goal are similar.

On the other hand, the most Dack had scored in that league before we bought him was 13. He does play slightly further back though. League One is really a crap shoot when it comes to bringing players from there to the Championship. I'd say our experiences of it are hit and miss. Dack and arguably Armstrong (hadn't shone above League One), but also Bell, Hirst...then you can argue over Smallwood (I'd say did enough of a job first season back up avoiding relegation, but not really good enough for anything above that at this level) and Pickering (alright but too slow). Edun is likely to end his time here under the failure umbrella too. I'm sure I'm forgetting some players. Back in the day didn't we also get Stead for the Prem when he was in League One, or the equivalent at the time? Saved our bacon that year, then was shit...hit and miss in one player!

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm taking the piss? Give over.

As for who he'll cross to - well he'll immediately be our best set piece taker, so everyone.

From open play, whoever is in the front 3 alongside him. You don't always have to cross for a header (as lord knows none of our current group can win those).

So he will have to cross low. Which begs two questions - is he any good at that, and won't that get a bit predictable for opposition defenders? There's also a bit of a skill to moving onto the end of low, drilled crosses. I know Dack can do it, though he's not our quickest. The faster lads it's partially unknown, as we haven't really played that way.

Hopefully there is a plan to go with this signing, and we are confident (and correct) about being able to match our approach to it successfully. I do have my doubts though, that we have personnel equipped to get on the end of it, and also that we have just one player who can deliver them. What happens when he is injured or out of form, and what are we going to produce from the other side?

Welcone to the club Sorba Thomas. I hope Sorba Thomas can have a positive impact on the season now and get us a playoff place now. If he does well then I hope we agreed fee in place just not announced so far. 

He could replace BBD positional and then we could sign 20 goal striker then to replace BBD overall

26 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We have needed a winger who can take his man on and get the ball in the box 

It’s just a bit stale up top. The lad might change

This next part isn’t aimed at you Rev, but you get the impression a few take the highly critical route for the sake of it. If he doesn’t succeed it is an easy told you so, if he does then it’s easy to say “well I obviously wanted him to succeed” 

Its a no lose situation 

This “pacy winger” that has often been the buzzword has arrived, albeit for a short loan, so let’s just see how the lad gets on 

I guess my problem with it is that where we struggle is not really so much on the transition... we have players who can break and run with the ball. Obviously getting a player who is (hopefully) better at doing that is good. But it doesn't really solve the major problem which is having the right players in the box to finish off.  We had a quality crosser for half a season in Giles but got very little out of him as we had no one to get on the crosses. This could be very similar.

So I'm hoping this Sorba is the Conway to an as yet unnamed Gestede who will turn up imminently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Screenshot_20230125-213500.png

Still scratching my head about this one. Since there’s no purchase option, this is a short term loan to help us make the playoffs…ok.  So then we rate the player highly enough to think he can help push us on. But he’s coming from a team fighting relegation in the same division…they’re not really in a position to loan out impact players.  Something doesn’t add up. Why would ‘uttersfield loan him out after extending him in the summer?  If they don’t believe in him, sell him…if they do you’d think they’d need him to stay up.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, yankfan said:

Still scratching my head about this one. Since there’s no purchase option, this is a short term loan to help us make the playoffs…ok.  So then we rate the player highly enough to think he can help push us on. But he’s coming from a team fighting relegation in the same division…they’re not really in a position to loan out impact players.  Something doesn’t add up. Why would ‘uttersfield loan him out after extending him in the summer?  If they don’t believe in him, sell him…if they do you’d think they’d need him to stay up.  

Their manager's comments are along the lines that he doesn't think he is consistent. 

More generally there is the view 'luxury' ie flair players aren't what you need to survive a relegation battle 

• Like 1

Got a few Huddersfield fans at work so I'll get their take on it later.

The general consensus seems to be he's looked lazy and uninterested this season. Reading his initial interview he said this:

“I’m eager, I’m ready to go, it’s a team that’s fighting in the play-offs and that’s where I want to be."

Sounds like he most definitely wasn't up for a relegation battle, although he might end up disappointed if he thinks we're genuine play off contenders too, unless a few more follow him through the door.

He did also comment about us playing exciting football too against them. Can't say I remember the game specifically but we only beat them 1-0 😕

Edited by Ossydave

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Got a few Huddersfield fans at work so I'll get their take on it later.

The general consensus seems to be he's looked lazy and uninterested this season. Reading his initial interview he said this:

“I’m eager, I’m ready to go, it’s a team that’s fighting in the play-offs and that’s where I want to be."

Sounds like he most definitely wasn't up for a relegation battle, although he might end up disappointed if he thinks we're genuine play off contenders too, unless a few more follow him through the door.

He did also comment about us playing exciting football too against them. Can't say I remember the game specifically but we only beat them 1-0 😕

We were hanging on a bit at the end, that’s all I can remember from that game.

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

Would like us to ask about Josh Onomah, he's been given permission to leave Fulham - good player, only 25 and has plenty of resale potential.

Contract at Fulham expires this summer, with the option for a further year.

Could be a bit pricey, but a loan with the option to buy maybe?

He's on £30k a week according to t'internet. 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Welcone to the club Sorba Thomas. I hope Sorba Thomas can have a positive impact on the season now and get us a playoff place now. If he does well then I hope we agreed fee in place just not announced so far. 

He could replace BBD positional and then we could sign 20 goal striker then to replace BBD overall

That’s alright then. I was worried about losing a 20 goal a season player for nothing but it’s as easy as just going out and getting another 20 goal a season striker from the nearest shop. Who’d have thought there were so many of them kicking about for free (as we’ve clearly got no money).

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm taking the piss? Give over.

As for who he'll cross to - well he'll immediately be our best set piece taker, so everyone.

From open play, whoever is in the front 3 alongside him. You don't always have to cross for a header (as lord knows none of our current group can win those).

We've taken him on because e he's good at set-pieces?!! C'mn!

We need a more grown-up discussion than that. 

Is he fitting into our existing set-up or is he the first in a series of signings where  we change our approach? That's critical.

Hedges was a winger at Aberdeen, his strength was his crossing and he had a good shot on him when he cut inside.

We don't see that side of him much because he was shoe-horned into an existing structure. Khadra was an exciting and talented young player who could look a champion , but in our set-up he too often  ran in to blind allies. As does Dolan for that matter.

Unless a winger has the right players in the middle to take advantage of his pace/skills we won't get the best out of them.That particularly affects set-pieces.

We play sterile football, we score few goals because we create few chances.

So, until I see the totality of this transfer window I worry about the prospects for this sort of player.There are other  players we need more. I hope there is a plan but, with a week to go, I fear that's its the same old.

I hope that's a better post than "Give the lad a chance FFS".

• Like 1

Cant say I'd ever heard of Sorba Thomas until yesterday. We're crying out for some more pace in the side so if he brings this then its a good addition. Cant get too excited however about a winger who can't get in huddersfields side, when to me were more desperate for a striker and centre mid. Is he much different to Dolan or Markanday, time will tell. 

Hopefully hes as well as ST and CM and not instead of. 

Strikes me a bit like Giles last season, came when leading the assist charts only to find Gallagher couldnt out jump a drawf. Ended up at right back or something.

32 minutes ago, 47er said:

We've taken him on because e he's good at set-pieces?!! C'mn!

We need a more grown-up discussion than that. 

Is he fitting into our existing set-up or is he the first in a series of signings where  we change our approach? That's critical.

Hedges was a winger at Aberdeen, his strength was his crossing and he had a good shot on him when he cut inside.

We don't see that side of him much because he was shoe-horned into an existing structure. Khadra was an exciting and talented young player who could look a champion , but in our set-up he too often  ran in to blind allies. As does Dolan for that matter.

Unless a winger has the right players in the middle to take advantage of his pace/skills we won't get the best out of them.That particularly affects set-pieces.

We play sterile football, we score few goals because we create few chances.

So, until I see the totality of this transfer window I worry about the prospects for this sort of player.There are other  players we need more. I hope there is a plan but, with a week to go, I fear that's its the same old.

I hope that's a better post than "Give the lad a chance FFS".

Good post.  Exactly how I see it.  I really hope it signals a shift in tactics but I highly doubt it will.