BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Things that drive you nuts about the beautiful game.

22 minutes ago, Mike E said:

'This shit' seems to be what an overwhelming majority of players want when you talk to them, or hear interviews.

Think it's just the times moving forward.

Never understood the strange obsession people have with what sportspeople have in their pants. It's never mattered when looking back at Olympic and Paralympic records, yet suddenly people think it matters in individual sports.

It's weird to me. Same with these people objecting to the award named 'Player of the Match'. They froth at the mouth, demanding the need to know the sex of the player being credited. 'IT SHOULD BE MAN OF THE MATCH, I NEED CONFIRMATION THEY HAVE A KNOB AND BALLS!'

I'm not quite sure I agree with this Mike. In terms of what the poster is getting irked at with the football scoring records being conflated across the genders, it actually does matter when looking back at Olympic records, to use your example. If the same reasoning was applied to those, I would wager that very few - if any - females would hold world or olympic records, particularly in speed or strength related events. Which is why they have separate categories. Where will all this stuff end? 

• Like 9

• Backroom
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm not quite sure I agree with this Mike. In terms of what the poster is getting irked at with the football scoring records being conflated across the genders, it actually does matter when looking back at Olympic records, to use your example. If the same reasoning was applied to those, I would wager that very few - if any - females would hold world or olympic records, particularly in speed or strength related events. Which is why they have separate categories. Where will all this stuff end? 

I suppose I should adjust slightly, as I've now fully grasped the actual argument 😅

Record goalscorer - Really should be separate, as per examples given.

World Cup Wins - Probably equal imo, just as Gold Medals count equal.

Is that a bit more fair?

'Player of the Match', however, is a hill I'm prepared to die on, nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I suppose I should adjust slightly, as I've now fully grasped the actual argument 😅

Is that a bit more fair?

'Player of the Match', however, is a hill I'm prepared to die on, nothing wrong with it.

Even tournament wins should be separate imo

We have mens football and we have womens football. Two different formats of the game

A man cannot enter a womens game, and a woman cannot enter the mens game, so therefore any records held are for that particular format

Player of the match or man of the match is an irrelevance really

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Even tournament wins should be separate imo

We have mens football and we have womens football. Two different formats of the game

A man cannot enter a womens game, and a woman cannot enter the mens game, so therefore any records held are for that particular format

Player of the match or man of the match is an irrelevance really

True, but my argument stems from the Olympics. All gold medals are equal, with all disciplines being separate, so why can we not class World Cups as equal?

Particularly in the last year, I don't view it (just my view) as the women's England team winning the Euros, it is England won the Euros.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

True, but my argument stems from the Olympics. All gold medals are equal, with all disciplines being separate, so why can we not class World Cups as equal?

Particularly in the last year, I don't view it (just my view) as the women's England team winning the Euros, it is England won the Euros.

I don't think anyone is saying they aren't equal, but they are also in different formats of the game and should be recorded as different

When you see a 100m sprint races I'm almost certain it says "Women's/Men's 100m Finalists" or something similar. And so it should. Because the records and performances will differ significantly owing to different physical attributes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

Is that a bit more fair?

That is a far more fair argument there. I also have no problem with player of the match. 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 08:19, bluebruce said:

I disagree, but if it were true, I would wonder how much of that would be them feeling pressure from loads of judgemental men listening. Kind of like how I'd feel if I were asked to talk about sex at an Anne Summers party.

Pull up a chair guys. This could be interesting. 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 20:19, bluebruce said:

I disagree, but if it were true, I would wonder how much of that would be them feeling pressure from loads of judgemental men listening. Kind of like how I'd feel if I were asked to talk about sex at an Anne Summers party.

I had to Google Anne Summers, I thought I would be looking at a person. I've led a sheltered life.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 8

On 09/01/2023 at 11:10, Mike E said:

'This shit' seems to be what an overwhelming majority of players want when you talk to them, or hear interviews.

Think it's just the times moving forward.

Never understood the strange obsession people have with what sportspeople have in their pants. It's never mattered when looking back at Olympic and Paralympic records, yet suddenly people think it matters in individual sports.

It's weird to me. Same with these people objecting to the award named 'Player of the Match'. They froth at the mouth, demanding the need to know the sex of the player being credited. 'IT SHOULD BE MAN OF THE MATCH, I NEED CONFIRMATION THEY HAVE A KNOB AND BALLS!'

🤣That's a very amusing way of putting it, bravo. However the player of the match one is one I disagree with. Not to a strong, frothing level at all, I just think it's a bit of a silly and unnecessary change. There was nothing wrong with man of the match, because there are no women in the men's game, just as there are no women in the men's game. I think gender neutral language absolutely has a place in areas where it's possible a woman has the role/award etc. But until there are women in the men's game, or the games merge, this one just strikes me as a pointless tokenistic change to tradition designed to appeal to certain areas. It's therefore the sort of thing that gives fuel to the sadsack types who really want to fight against every single progressive change because it's 'PC gone mad', and I find it counterproductive as a result. A lot of these little language fiddles distract from the serious real issues too.

Again, it doesn't really matter as such, I just think it's a bit daft and will keep calling it man of the match. I'd point out I also like saving the extra syllable when I say it, because I'm lazy, but typing a whole post about it has probably negated that benefit! 🤣

I'm not sure what you mean about it never mattering with Olympic and Paralympic records, those are split by gender too. If they weren't, women wouldn't hold many (any? Gymnastics maybe?).

• Like 2

I'm not sure how nobody has mentioned time wasting. I read a stat the other day that the average time the ball is in play for a Premier League match is 57 minutes. With one or two games falling into the 40's.

I've no idea how it's not been stamped out. From a commercial point of view, whether on TV or at the ground, fans have paid to watch a game of football. It's tainting the product. 

I'm in favour of the clock stopping when the ball is dead. However the talk of reducing the allocated time isn't something that sits right with me. At least to the levels I've recently seen suggested. Have 40 minute halves and the clock stops when the ball is out of play. We'd get to see so much more football.

• Like 2

Whilst we are talking about time, I think it should be taken out of the referee's hands and only stopped when there is a longer break in the game such as subs or injuries. Stopping it EVERY time it goes out of play is a no no.

The other thing that annoys me is that if a team get a corner kick with 10 seconds to go before full time the ref allows it to be taken and waits to see the immediate outcome before blowing for time. As I understand it the laws of the game state that only a penalty kick can be taken after the final whistle. (And, if it is saved or hits the post, the game ends before it is belted in again)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another one of my peevs.  Is when a manager gets a jib he doesn't deserve when he's plucked out of obscurity.  Then does the dirty on them by getting a cushy number as a number 2 or decides to be a TV analysist. Then gets another cushy number in a job he doesn't deserve if he gets sacked from his current one.  Im thinking of critchley at qpr. Or Sammy Lee when he got sacked at Bolton. Really doesn't sit right with me

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Another one of my peevs.  Is when a manager gets a jib he doesn't deserve when he's plucked out of obscurity.  Then does the dirty on them by getting a cushy number as a number 2 or decides to be a TV analysist. Then gets another cushy number in a job he doesn't deserve if he gets sacked from his current one.  Im thinking of critchley at qpr. Or Sammy Lee when he got sacked at Bolton. Really doesn't sit right with me

I assume you've combined 2 together here - Critchley at Blackpool & Beale at QPR - but yeah, totally agree. Thanks for the opportunity, now fuck off!

Critchley one is really odd as he went to Villa from the Lashers as a No2 to replace Beale when he went to QPR & then strangely enough replaces Beale at QPR when he headed for the hills up to Ibrox!

When Beale eventually ends up leaving Rangers, I know who my money's on to replace him! 😄

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Crap chants.  

Keeper taking a kick out  ''you're shit ahahaah''

----- -------- FC are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen and its ---------   ------------

I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for ‘your shit ahhhh’, it disappeared post your favourite decade, but it’s back again.

16 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Crap chants.  

Keeper taking a kick out  ''you're shit ahahaah''

----- -------- FC are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen and its ---------   ------------

The ones that annoy me are the pathetic ones goading the home fans - “your support is f**king shit” or “_________’s a shithole, I want to go home”

They’re just pointless imo - every team’s fans sing them at every ground so they’ve lost all meaning. I’d much rather sing in support of my team and the individual players - I’m just not sure that singing for 90 minutes that the place you’re in is a shithole does much to inspire or fire up the players

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Diving and simulation really get me down. So I was really pleased to see this in todays paper.

”  Summanen charged after red card incident “

” The Tottenham midfielder Evaliina  Summanen has been charged with deceiving a match official after Manchester United’s Ella Toone had her dismissal for violent conduct overturned. The 24 year old was accused of simulation during the incident that saw Toone sent off.

A spokesman said - Evaliina Summanen has been charged with a successful deception of a match official following their WSL match against Manchester United Woman. “

We need this in the mens game right away.

I saw the incident - Summanen went down after a slight push in the back and decided to start holding her face when she was on the ground. Toone got a red card as a result !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2