BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (h) - 6/2/23

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I know the manager is getting flak here and I understand it…but honestly the players he was left with in the summer are absolutely dross. Mowbray never had a squad as bad as this, including the year we went down.

It’s an absolute miracle that we’re safe from relegation. 

Coyles team was worse than this Paul, in my opinion. You can’t let 4/5 regulars walk in the summer and expect to challenge, that is what these owners have reduced us to.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I know the manager is getting flak here and I understand it…but honestly the players he was left with in the summer are absolutely dross. Mowbray never had a squad as bad as this, including the year we went down.

We won the first 3 games , gave us some momentum, take the the 9 points off and we would be in a dogfight...JDT has to take some responsibility his tactics are dreadful...

The buck stops at the managers door !

• Like 5

A lot of it falls on the manager yes. But part of me thinking if we had O’Brien in the middle last night with one of those loan strikers we missed out on we’d of put 3 or 4 past them.
Thomas looked really dangerous in that second half. An inject of pace we miss, also carries the ball really well. He had a few moments but I guess that’s lack of game time. 

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 7

I spent most of the game pondering if we had had any sort of value from BBD after the 4th minute back pass to the keeper. Its hard to balance as he cost lots and goes for nothing so that really skews the value but his goal to game ratio is 1 in 3.6 which isn't great. He has been a strange player for us, most of his time here has been both extremes of good and bad.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Pickering, JRC, Carter, Pears (miraculously), Hedges, Dolan - all better than they were last season. Travis today was fantastic, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Who has got worse? S. Wharton is looking like he can only play in a Back 3 at this level - caught out far too often. Brereton-Diaz's head has gone. Buckley is Buckley. 

How is Hedges better?--he doesn't play regularly and he has shown no more than he did when he first came. JRC---agree.

Pears yes but Kiminski balances that. Dolan---you're joking surely? Rarely sighted. Travis---seems you agree he's gone backwards. What's Buckley is Buckley mean?

All that adds up to a deficit.

• Like 3

It’s been the same performance all season, dire. The luck has just ran out in front of goal.

It’s a dreadful style of football to watch and I feel has show no improvement since day 1. If this style is the future surely there would be some signs of hope by now?

Does he really need 11 new players to make it work as almost nobody looks comfortable and is excelling under his management.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Just dont really agree with this tbh... Players are pretty decent. Put one or two decent strikers (i.e. ones who score 15+ goals a season regularly and worry a centre back) in the squad and we're a solid top six side for me. We're much better in midfield and at the back than the days of Bennett, Akpan, Mulgrew, Steele etc. Honestly think if we had a 30 year old Dabny Graham everything at the moment would be a much different story.

• Like 2

Can we drop all this nonsense about we'd have won, and even comfortably, if we'd taken our chances.

Every professional football club have fans, and managers, spurting out if only we'd taken that chance or those chances, if only we'd defended better, if only referees were better.

The league table does not reflect 'IFS' but is the resultant of the cold hard reality of results.

I think at the moment we are a total sh1te football club from top to bottom playing, in the main, uninspiring and boring football on a sh1te pitch in an ageing and tired stadium - luck has played a huge part in us fluking a few results (that we didn't deserve) in the first half of the season.  Just look at our results since the World Cup - we are heading for the bottom half of the league.

We have just failed to beat bottom of the league Wigan at home who had scraped 3 points from their 9 previous games.  It's indefensible.

I think more and more supporters will vote with their feet and anyone who does not think our club is in crisis should wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s funny how the narrative changes….

Many said Hyam > Lenihan, Brittain > Nyambe, fully fit Dack, Adam Wharton impressing.

You’re fooling yourself if you think it’s a worse squad than what Coyle left us. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Can we drop all this nonsense about we'd have won, and even comfortably, if we'd taken our chances.

Every professional football club have fans, and managers, spurting out if only we'd taken that chance or those chances, if only we'd defended better, if only referees were better.

The league table does not reflect 'IFS' but is the resultant of the cold hard reality of results.

I think at the moment we are a total sh1te football club from top to bottom playing, in the main, uninspiring and boring football on a sh1te pitch in an ageing and tired stadium - luck has played a huge part in us fluking a few results (that we didn't deserve) in the first half of the season.  Just look at our results since the World Cup - we are heading for the bottom half of the league.

I think more and more supporters will vote with their feet and anyone who does not think our club is in crisis should wake up and smell the coffee.

We only had the BBD chance and that was it.  A boring boring game.

Just now, Nuttall is lost said:

We only had the BBD chance and that was it.  A boring boring game.

Tbf, the JRC chance in the first half was decent and Trav had a goal bound shot blocked.

There were a couple in the second, from Thomas’ crosses down the right.

But agreed that it was a boring game irrespective.

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

It’s funny how the narrative changes….

Many said Hyam > Lenihan, Brittain > Nyambe, fully fit Dack, Adam Wharton impressing.

You’re fooling yourself if you think it’s a worse squad than what Coyle left us. 

Injured, injured.

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We have just failed to beat bottom of the league Wigan at home who had scraped 3 points from their 9 previous games.  It's indefensible.

You were predicting a Wigan win, a toxic atmosphere and claimed Thomas was disappointing!

Utter bunkum, you make it up as you go along 🤣

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

For me, the problem last night was a lack of cutting edge but more than anything this is a rovers team short on confidence. I can see it any time SG considers shooting, same with BBD and Morton. We need a bit of luck, couple goals to come in and let these players have a bit of freedom. 

One point that I know won't go down well but needs to be said - the booing was embarrassing and can only compound the issue. Dack and Thomas needed to come off, that wasn't a tactical switch it was needed because they were clearly knackered. To an extent I get the booing at full time which was more frustration than anger but again, this is only going to create an atmosphere where players hesitate before acting. I'm not saying we should be deliriously happy at all times but creating an atmosphere players feel comfortable in is massive and we are going the opposite way at Ewood right now.

• Like 2

After last night, I can’t work out if JDT thinks his players are crap and sets us up accordingly. i.e. keep it tight, try and nick a goal, and don’t attack. Or he’s giving them instructions that they still don’t understand.

Many times last night the players were urged to attack, play forward, and go forward, but there was so much hesitance. As if they’re thinking, we shouldn’t be doing this.

What’s the point in playing a forward if you’re rarely going to play the ball into him, cross, or play down the channels? We might as well not bother. Or we could play another player at the back then we can all watch them knocking it around in our half for 90 minutes.

This game did nothing but make me believe we could be in for a death soiral, maybe not so dramatic.  I just see nothing at the minute, nothing to get enthused about.  It's slow, predictable and we feed our opponents the belief they need to beat us, we stike their confidence.  Was a Pen imho 

We were much more direct last night than in previous games, not so much farting around at the back. Was that because Pears was in goal, because Kaminski loves playing the ball around his box, or has the manager had a change of heart?

The end result was much the same because we did not threaten to score again (how can we with that forward line?), but at least the ball was being moved forward quicker.

It all adds up on the desperate need for new strikers. Vale and Gallagher are never going to be good enough and Brereton needs to be dropped, probably permanently. 

• Like 5