BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

39 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Not for a 750k outlay probably not no... but that's not how football budgets work. It's 750k on top of whatever budget we have in summer, and you only take out of that the installment which is due there and then, not future installments. 

I think it's a no brainer personally, but I also said it was imperative we kept him in January, so maybe I can't quite make my mind up on the matter. Bit like you with your ex 🤣

I was just talking in terms of the actual Brereton outlay. It wouldn't entirely pay for the outlay on another striker. That's without considering that it would be a multi-year deal. However yes it might create enough space in the budget for us to sign a striker...presumably that space would also be there the next season though after we've had another season from a lad who is almost guaranteed to notch 10-22(+?) goals in this league without even taking up the central striking berth. I'd be fine to keep him another year at those wages, as I can easily envision us signing someone else with the money who isn't any good, and unless a loanee, would burden us for more than a season if they weren't any good. The 'will he won't he' saga continuing would be an annoyance, but I'm more interested in what yields results.

Another thing is it gives us more time to resolve the issue. We have ostensibly been looking for a new actual striker since the summer, presumably we will continue to regardless of BBD being here or not. Say we sign someone in the summer, it gives us a season to see if they're any good. If they are, it may reduce our desperation when Brereton leaves, if they're not, we've had two rolls of the dice by the subsequent summer instead of one.

For me we should have tried to get some money for him in January, but that was only because I had given up on the playoffs actually happening. In fairness, that isn't something the club itself should be doing (although our lack of transfer activity suggests otherwise!). As for my ex...haha none of them are up for it anymore, exhausted those channels so to speak! There's only one I'd really like back if given the choice anyway, but c'est la vie!

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Is A Wharton back for this does anyone know? 

Think I read recently he's just coming back to training, so maybe. Not named in tonight's U21 team though, and I think they said something about needing to build him up for game time, so I'd assume he'll be a no for tomorrow. Shame, he was exceptional last time we played Blackpool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Up front this is what I'd try in this order:

1) Brereton up front

2) Hedges

3) Leonard (probably off the bench initially)

4) Dolan

5) Szmodics

6) Vale again

7) Ayala

8 ) literally anyone else

9) Gallagher

We've a flimsy squad when we get injuries, some of the blame should go to people higher up, not strengthening the squad in the January transfer window. You need  strength in depth for a serious top 6 challenge. If we can get a result against Blackpool it just leaves Q.P.R. before the FA cup tie. This will give Dack and Diaz time if we rest them for the cup tie.

11 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

It’s amazing what happens on this site when we win; folks are much more positive, & refrain from going into attack mode. So refreshing! 

I am loving our defending of late. And, lacking striker options, I could still see a 2-1 result. 

COYB! 

Dack out for a few weeks Diaz doubtful, the goals might have to come from elsewere.

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Leonard starting for the U21s in Brighton, so no closer to the First XI then.

he should get his chance,vale has failed badly,so badly that it looks likes they asked someone from the blackburn end if they want a game,give leonard the run in the side they gave vale,you simply never know,he might take to first team football like phil jones did

• Like 1

Without dack and BBD I really don't know how our front 4 will look? I'm assuming smodicz for dack and most likely Hedges for BBD? 

Dolan

Hedges           Szmodics          Thomas

Buckley           Travis

Pickering        Hyam     Ayala    Brittain

Pears

• Like 1

Pears

JRC  Carter   Hyam Pickering

Travis.   Buckley

Sorba.  Szmodics    Dolan

Gally 

Subs - Hilton Ayala Brittain Morton Hedges Leonard 

I think Dolan’s best games for us come off the left, he just rarely gets a chance because of Ben. Gally needs a goal 

Rovers 2 - 0 Blackpool

Gally and Szmodics

Edited by Paul Mani

2 hours ago, Feed the Yak said:

I hope Leonard at least makes the bench. He deserves a chance at least.

Will this be on the red button tonight do we know?

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah I got it wrong.Is it on ifollow?

I use Live Soccer TV to check. Remember, Rovers no longer use iFollow, so although Live Soccer TV usually lists iFollow as a broadcaster for clubs that use the iFollow platform, there has never been a way to tell if RoversTV are screening the game.

Usually, if the game isn't being broadcast on Sky, BT, Amazon, etc., it will be available on RoversTV for overseas subscribers.

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 2

Not defending Vale, I think he's offered very little but I'm sure I read on here the role he's been asked to play hasn't played to his strengths. With Sorba in the team - a proper winger - could that suit him more?

I don't think he'll start, Hedges in for BBD and a switch to 4 at the back with Carter (wrongly) out for Britain is my guess.