BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

4 hours ago, Ricky said:

Leonard subbed off at half time last night. Fair chance he’s involved tonight. He scored again and has 5 goals in 4 games. Confidence could be high and with Dack and BBD missing I think he deserves the nod tonight. 

With both Dack and BBD out I think Leonard has a good chance of being on the bench just to fill it out. As we play four forwards we will probably only have one first team forward left over, so Vale and Leonard could get onto the bench to make up the numbers.

I would really like to see him for 20-30mins.

• Like 3

Madine is missing for Blackpool. He is serving the fourth of a four match ban after two red cards, the first of which was given retrospectively after he trampled all over Travis. It's some kind of natural justice in my view that he can't play against us. He is in the Ched Evans mould, the type who bullies centre halves and the type who normally do well against us.

• Like 2

According to Sharpe on Twitter, Leonard (and Harlock) were brought off at half-time yesterday because they are due to be involved in an internal game on Wednesday with whatever senior players don't play tonight. Perhaps he'll be on the bench, but wouldn't expect to see him starting anyway.

Just noticed Leonard hasn't actually made the bench yet for a league game, only for a couple FA Cup games.

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Madine is missing for Blackpool. He is serving the fourth of a four match ban after two red cards, the first of which was given retrospectively after he trampled all over Travis.

Would be nice if we actually got the decision given in the match for once.

They're amazing at spotting every single infraction we make (Buckley's head bounce), but things seem much less clear when our lads are getting crunched. 

I swear we've had a few '3 yellow card' culprits this season. With the guy finally seeing a card in about the 82nd min. 🙄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

With both Dack and BBD out I think Leonard has a good chance of being on the bench just to fill it out. As we play four forwards we will probably only have one first team forward left over, so Vale and Leonard could get onto the bench to make up the numbers.

I've been saying this for a month or so, Leonard can't stop scoring for the under 21s, unlike Vale who can't start scoring. I know it's a big step up into the senior squad , but who knows ? he might be the missing piece in the jigsaw. 3-0 Rovers.

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Would be nice if we actually got the decision given in the match for once.

They're amazing at spotting every single infraction we make (Buckley's head bounce), but things seem much less clear when our lads are getting crunched. 

I swear we've had a few '3 yellow card' culprits this season. With the guy finally seeing a card in about the 82nd min. 🙄

If we had a bigger squad, we could give players like madine his own medicine with the professional foul.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

According to JDT in the Telegraph BBD might play some part if needed.

if BBD is out, Id definately consider Lenoard. He cant be any worse than Vale or Gallagher and might make the step up look simple. Would be like a new signing if he did. Whilst Szmodic (spelling?) has been pretty poor hes got a couple more goals than the rest of the other forwards so should replace Dack.  

Pears 

Brittain  Carter Hyam Pickering

Travis   Buckley

Thomas    Szmodic      Dolan 

Leonard

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, benhben said:

if BBD is out, Id definately consider Lenoard. He cant be any worse than Vale or Gallagher and might make the step up look simple. Would be like a new signing if he did. Whilst Szmodic (spelling?) has been pretty poor hes got a couple more goals than the rest of the other forwards so should replace Dack.  

Pears 

Brittain  Carter Hyam Pickering

Travis   Buckley

Leonard

I’d probably have Hedges in for Dolan and Dolan in for Leonard. I’d have Leonard on the bench though.

Failure to win either of two home home games against sides in the bottom three   will mark the end of our attempt to finish in the Top 6 as far as I'm concerned. I'm almost resigned to that anyway because we are just not good enough.

Prediction, 1-0 to us but I'm not particularly confident even of that.

• Like 3

They might've beat Stoke at the weekend, but it looks like they got out of jail a bit. One shot on target and 31% of the ball. 

I'd bring in JRC for this one. Harsh in the extreme on either Carter, Hyam or Ayala, depending who would make way for him. I'd keep Gally in the team too given our lack of other options. Hopefully he'll have far better service tonight than he did at the weekend.

Think this will be chalk and cheese compared to the Swansea game, but I can see the same result.

Pears 

JRC   Ayala Hyam Pickering

Travis   Buckley

Gallagher

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Madine is missing for Blackpool. He is serving the fourth of a four match ban after two red cards, the first of which was given retrospectively after he trampled all over Travis. It's some kind of natural justice in my view that he can't play against us. He is in the Ched Evans mould, the type who bullies centre halves and the type who normally do well against us.

How many of our players have been took out the game with hatchet men over the last couple of seasons. It's time our players got wise and sue 1 or 2 of these hatchet men in a court of law. Madines was 100% intentional and Oleary went in with a two footed tackle that could have broke a leg intentionaly. There not accidents there intentional to damage.

38 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Anyone give any details of the kind of striker Leanord is please?

Quite physical, has that needed ability to find the right spot to be in, when the ball breaks loose in the box. He seems to be quite calm on the ball, and is willing to take a shot. He is not rapid, but has good stamina. In my opinion I would say that the jury is still out, on whether he will make the step-up to championship football.  

• Like 2

One day we might see a return to the kind of team that could give an opposition a real leathering. But as things are, it is difficult to envisage when that might be. As you say, Ossydave, terrifying opposition defences is one thing, but end product where this finishes with our player leathering the ball into the back of the net (a la Shearer 1994 / MGP v the 6 fingered scourge etc) is a whole different mindset - which sadly we don't seem to have at the club any more.

It is unlikely that this evening's fare will be any easier to stomach than that porridge served up last weekend, so I'm kind of resigned to football indigestion later on. I live in hope that perhaps we might gel in front of goal and serve up a hatful for our supporters, but the reality for me is that we have forgotten how to put sides to the sword. Maybe that just isn't the project anymore... and if not, that might explain why so many are disillusioned and disconnected from the modern game, especially down Ewood way.

Hatful tonight for the Rovers, please 🙂

COYB!

3 hours ago, JamieUK said:

Not defending Vale, I think he's offered very little but I'm sure I read on here the role he's been asked to play hasn't played to his strengths. With Sorba in the team - a proper winger - could that suit him more?

I don't think he'll start, Hedges in for BBD and a switch to 4 at the back with Carter (wrongly) out for Britain is my guess.

I am still unclear on what his strengths are. He is slow, weak, doesn't put in much of a shift, can't win a header, doesn't get into goalscoring positions and his movement hinders other attacking players around him. What about Thomas could feasibly help him.

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Yates is one to watch, their top scorer.

I think he has been on a bad run of form so put him down for first scorer.

• Like 3