BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am not that convinced Dack and Brereton being out is such a big problem tbh. Brereton has been rubbish for ages now, and while Dack has been largely very good we actually played better in the second half on Saturday either side of him being on the pitch... He's a quality player but can be a real passenger if the game is not flowing in a way that best uses him. 

It's may well be that we, counter-intuitively, actually play better without them. I guess we will find out.

Team for me...

Pears

JRC      Carter       Hyam    Pickering

Travis     Buckley

Thomas      Dolan    Hedges

Gallagher

Subs : Youth goalie, Ayala, Morton, A Wharton (hopefully back), Szmodics, Vale, Leonard

Think you've got a typo in there. Looks like you've typed Gallagher into that first 11 when it should say literally anything else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If I were Rovers, I’d agree the £30k, 1yr deal now and sell him to the highest bidder in the summer. £3m, £5m, £8m…is all better than nowt!!! 

Ben and his advisors are not daft.... what does he get out of that? He will get a better signing on fee and wage if he is a free agent. Why sign on for us to only then be sold? The only reason would be some sort of loyalty to the club that developed him, but if that was a motivating factor surely he would already be tied up to something.

• Like 4

Was over for the game the weekend, brought a mate who was going into it blind and wouldn't have seen much of Rovers but knows his football. So I didn't influence him at all and told him to tell me what he thinks. A few of his thoughts were as follows:

Your keeper gets alot of touches doesn't he, the first thought for the players seems to be play it back and pass around the back line for ages but not going anywhere.

Thought out centre halves were solid. 

Asked a few times where is your left back?

Commented that our midfield was very absent. "You are letting Joe Allen have alot of space and no one is closing him down."

You are a big team, alot of big lads in it but you don't seem to utilise it at all. Think he meant from set pieces or looking long to Gally and BBD occasionally.

He liked Dolan alot, he's very busy and neat. Seems to have a spark.

Thought there was potential in Gallagher but said he doesn't do much but he doesn't get any service. Dolan flashed a good ball across the box in the first half and both Gally and BBD nowhere to be seen.

Don't think he even commented on BBD.

When we stepped it up second half he was confused as to why we didn't start like that. Balls down the sides and a higher tempo because it didn't seem that much of an ask.

Wasn't exactly a showcase but he thought we were a hard watch but solid enough. A new midfield and a decent striker and we would be alot better equipped. Seemed fair and what alot of us on here probably already know.

• Like 7

I watched back 20-30 minutes of the second half and had a thought that if we were on the receiving end of the periods of sustained pressure, pressing, and controlled possession that we had then, we'd be A ) Massively frustrated we weren't getting a kick & B ) Fairly impressed by the team we were playing. 

Hard to see the wood for the trees sometimes but we're not a bad side at all. Swansea ain't shit.

Need to start games better, be confident, and learn how to finish chances.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Was over for the game the weekend, brought a mate who was going into it blind and wouldn't have seen much of Rovers but knows his football. So I didn't influence him at all and told him to tell me what he thinks. A few of his thoughts were as follows:

Your keeper gets alot of touches doesn't he, the first thought for the players seems to be play it back and pass around the back line for ages but not going anywhere.

Thought out centre halves were solid. 

Asked a few times where is your left back?

Commented that our midfield was very absent. "You are letting Joe Allen have alot of space and no one is closing him down."

You are a big team, alot of big lads in it but you don't seem to utilise it at all. Think he meant from set pieces or looking long to Gally and BBD occasionally.

He liked Dolan alot, he's very busy and neat. Seems to have a spark.

Thought there was potential in Gallagher but said he doesn't do much but he doesn't get any service. Dolan flashed a good ball across the box in the first half and both Gally and BBD nowhere to be seen.

Don't think he even commented on BBD.

When we stepped it up second half he was confused as to why we didn't start like that. Balls down the sides and a higher tempo because it didn't seem that much of an ask.

Wasn't exactly a showcase but he thought we were a hard watch but solid enough. A new midfield and a decent striker and we would be alot better equipped. Seemed fair and what alot of us on here probably already know.

Joe Allen looks absolutely washed, doesn't he?

Pickering was wandering into CM to act as an extra player in there (similar to how JRC has played the last few weeks). 

32 minutes ago, BigBar said:

That’s the nail in the head for me. I don’t see how any neutral watching it could’ve come to any other conclusion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Ben might have worked out that in spite of his ‘global rise’ and the three subsequent transfer windows since he became Diaz, no one has stumped up the cash for him in spite of record spending levels in the top leagues.

It would seem, if the rumours are true of us offering him another contract, that he has nothing sorted im Spain either. Honestly, speaking objectively, if I were Ben, I’d ask Rovers to extend that year to 2yrs and do the deal.

If I were Rovers, I’d agree the £30k, 1yr deal now and sell him to the highest bidder in the summer. £3m, £5m, £8m…is all better than nowt!!! 

But, if he  signed the contract, he doesn't have to leave if he doesn't want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am not that convinced Dack and Brereton being out is such a big problem tbh. Brereton has been rubbish for ages now, and while Dack has been largely very good we actually played better in the second half on Saturday either side of him being on the pitch... He's a quality player but can be a real passenger if the game is not flowing in a way that best uses him. 

It's may well be that we, counter-intuitively, actually play better without them. I guess we will find out.

Team for me...

Pears

Travis     Buckley

Gallagher

Subs : Youth goalie, Ayala, Morton, A Wharton (hopefully back), Szmodics, Vale, Leonard

I agree with your statement, not so much with your selection.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Team for me...

Pears

Travis     Buckley

Gallagher

Understand what you're saying... but that lineup has scored what? 10 league goals this season? Looks a drab old game on paper!

Mick McCarthy can only really play one way. Historically he has had a team that works hard, has a reliance on set plays and plays the percentages to win second balls, quite the opposite of Swansea actually. It will be interesting to see how Tomasson approaches the game, his team selection and tactics. I'm not expecting much in the way of scintillating football but I am expecting a win.

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Understand what you're saying... but that lineup has scored what? 10 league goals this season? Looks a drab old game on paper!

Yeah... but equally the run of games where Dack and Brereton have played since the world cup break we have scored very few goals anyway. BBD has managed one, and Dack three... It's not like we are missing players who have been banging them in week after week.  Hopefully the change will unlock something and other players can score. Maybe a forlorn hope!

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Ben might have worked out that in spite of his ‘global rise’ and the three subsequent transfer windows since he became Diaz, no one has stumped up the cash for him in spite of record spending levels in the top leagues.

It would seem, if the rumours are true of us offering him another contract, that he has nothing sorted im Spain either. Honestly, speaking objectively, if I were Ben, I’d ask Rovers to extend that year to 2yrs and do the deal.

I think there is a very loose usage of the word "objectively" here! Couldn't be more subjective.

We are too far past the "better than nowt" mentality having stupidly turned down money in the summer.

I can't fathom how a 1 year deal is in anyway in Brereton's benefit. If the intention was to instantly sell, he would essentially be massively hindering any scope for him to get a decent deal elsewhere. Him as a free agent is miles more appealing to bigger clubs even if it is to have him as a squad player, with the lack of transfer fee allowing scope for a higher wage and signing on fee. To justify a fee on a Championship player and having to be part of an auction will deter many. That is not even considering how he already knows that Venkys aren't logical in accepting bids.

The 2 year deal is not much more appealing from what I can see. Even if we can (not considering smashing apart the wage structure, the problem of Venkys intermittently popping up and removing any sense of order) offer £30k, again he would likely get more at Villarreal.

4 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'll rephrase.

A club could get Brereton for nothing at the end of the season. If they don't want him for nothing, they're hardly then going to bid millions for him a short while later are they?

I think you’ve missed my point. We were discussing this new contract they’ve supposedly offered him. Which IF he were to sign then any team wanting him would have to pay a fee for him this summer. Which is a dream scenario for Rovers. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

But, if he  signed the contract, he doesn't have to leave if he doesn't want to.

He’s been after a move for a long time mate. We just haven’t accepted those lower bids so far. He’d get a lot more than £30kpwk in Spain or France….my guess, assuming we don’t go up (when no doubt he’d want another raise) he’d be off like a shot in the summer we’re we to extend his contract and then accept a bid…

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think you’ve missed my point. We were discussing this new contract they’ve supposedly offered him. Which IF he were to sign then any team wanting him would have to pay a fee for him this summer. Which is a dream scenario for Rovers. 

...but a totally implausible one.

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ben and his advisors are not daft.... what does he get out of that? He will get a better signing on fee and wage if he is a free agent. Why sign on for us to only then be sold? The only reason would be some sort of loyalty to the club that developed him, but if that was a motivating factor surely he would already be tied up to something.

100% agree, but what if Ben and his advisors currently have no decent offers on the table for him? Maybe at £30k we’re 25% above anything he’s got on the table? He’s not loyal to the club, he’s shown that by refusing to sign a contract for nearly two years….but he does have a new baby at home, so maybe a million quid and another year in the Ribble Valley playing every minute of every game is appealing now, in context…🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

100% agree, but what if Ben and his advisors currently have no decent offers on the table for him? Maybe at £30k we’re 25% above anything he’s got on the table? He’s not loyal to the club, he’s shown that by refusing to sign a contract for nearly two years….but he does have a new baby at home, so maybe a million quid and another year in the Ribble Valley playing every minute of every game is appealing now, in context…🤷🏽‍♂️

I suppose it's possible, hard to think that he won't get £30k from somewhere in Prem. That's nothing these days.

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

But with no transfer fee on a move he'll surely be looking for a decent signing on fee which, even if his transfer valuation is now no more than £5m, could be in the region of £2m which when added to whatever wage he would be offered would be a much better deal than £1.5m a year.

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think BBD is loyal to Rovers and wants to score goals while he's here.