BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

I bet Critchley wished he had stayed beside the seaside. 

With these stats we look pretty stable. 

“QPR have only won one of their past 17 matches in the league, and have gone eight without victory at Loftus Road.

They become the fourth Championship club to make a second managerial change this season after Cardiff City, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town.

Meanwhile, there have been a total of 18 changes of head coach or manager so far in 2022-23 by the 24 clubs in the second tier.”

Credit : BBC website 

13 minutes ago, neophox said:

the loons at ewood have only just realised he can leave for nothing in june,now they are desperately trying to tie him down so they can make some kind of return from him in the future,one problem with that,at the moment on his current form he`s worth 5 pints of thwaites and a dish of fried rice,ben needs to get his inner diaz back

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rigger said:

My main priority is that there are no trains/buses that get me home from night matches.

That’s fair enough Rigger. 

if I was relying on public transport outside of immediate Blackburn area, night matches would be a definite no no.

As it is, I’m lucky to be able to drive or get a lift from Huddersfield (45 minutes) so will definitely be there to witness maybe more frustrating football but hopefully not. Two second halves from Saturday will be good. 

• Like 1

Ben is settled at the club, seems to like it in the area and has just had his first kid - I can see why he'd be tempted to stay.

He's a big confidence player and we saw last season what can happen when he finds a bit of momentum.

Would absolutely rather be with him than without him and I'm glad we're pushing the boat out to try and keep him around.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Andy said:

Ben is settled at the club, seems to like it in the area and has just had his first kid - I can see why he'd be tempted to stay.

He's a big confidence player and we saw last season what can happen when he finds a bit of momentum.

Would absolutely rather be with him than without him and I'm glad we're pushing the boat out to try and keep him around.

With the same dross around him though what's the point.  Can't imagine we'd be buying anyone in the summer if we spunk 1.5m on BBD for 12 months.

Personally I'd rather take the chance on JDT getting in 2 or 3 quality players to add in other areas.  Although JDT and Greggy arent filling me with confidence if they can't fill the forms in right.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rigger said:

My main priority is that there are no trains/buses that get me home from night matches.

I - used to - share your pain, @rigger.

Then I moved back into town. I'm not saying ease of getting to Ewood was the main reason for moving back, but it was certainly a factor.

Now there are buses/taxis which will get me home from night matches. My problem nowadays is that the football seems different from what I remember from the halcyon days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Brereton is not going to stay at Rovers. 

He knows that he can play at a higher level and alongside better players he will score goals.

Fact is, if he was going to stay he would have signed a new contract sooner. 

I would say he should be just as worried that at a higher level with better players he is going to get found out. He's had a decent amount of chances over the last 12 odd games and hasn't been able to finish. I don't think that would be tolerated in the Prem (as Armstrong has found out), and I imagine it is similar in La Liga. 

That he hasn't signed a pre-contract with anyone yet suggests to me the offers have not been as good as expected, and he's having a real slump in form at the wrong time for him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would say he should be just as worried that at a higher level with better players he is going to get found out. He's had a decent amount of chances over the last 12 odd games and hasn't been able to finish. I don't think that would be tolerated in the Prem (as Armstrong has found out), and I imagine it is similar in La Liga. 

That he hasn't signed a pre-contract with anyone yet suggests to me the offers have not been as good as expected, and he's having a real slump in form at the wrong time for him. 

We create fuck all so he will be glad to get some chances and play in nice weather, good food, beach life, etc.  

I think you are grasping a bit mate, he's gone already.

8 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Brereton is not going to stay at Rovers. 

He knows that he can play at a higher level and alongside better players he will score goals.

Fact is, if he was going to stay he would have signed a new contract sooner. 

I think Ben might have worked out that in spite of his ‘global rise’ and the three subsequent transfer windows since he became Diaz, no one has stumped up the cash for him in spite of record spending levels in the top leagues.

It would seem, if the rumours are true of us offering him another contract, that he has nothing sorted im Spain either. Honestly, speaking objectively, if I were Ben, I’d ask Rovers to extend that year to 2yrs and do the deal.

If I were Rovers, I’d agree the £30k, 1yr deal now and sell him to the highest bidder in the summer. £3m, £5m, £8m…is all better than nowt!!! 

• Like 1

I agree and the attempt to keep him has been made. The problem is that we need a central striker and he simply isn't one. He's a forward and that's as specific as it gets. But before we can sign anyone decent we have to sell him!

No-one else would bring enough. So it would be a difficult season next season even with him, unless we pull a rabbit out of a hat.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Ben might have worked out that in spite of his ‘global rise’ and the three subsequent transfer windows since he became Diaz, no one has stumped up the cash for him in spite of record spending levels in the top leagues.

It would seem, if the rumours are true of us offering him another contract, that he has nothing sorted im Spain either. Honestly, speaking objectively, if I were Ben, I’d ask Rovers to extend that year to 2yrs and do the deal.

If I were Rovers, I’d agree the £30k, 1yr deal now and sell him to the highest bidder in the summer. £3m, £5m, £8m…is all better than nowt!!! 

If no one has 'stumped up the cash for him' thus far, why on earth would they spend £3/5/8m on him in summer, when they can get him for free?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

If no one has 'stumped up the cash for him' thus far, why on earth would they spend £3/5/8m on him in summer, when they can get him for free?

We turned down £8m didn’t we, last year? It wasn’t enough then….what I’m saying is, I’d let him sign the new contract and then invite bids. Sell him to the highest bidder, whatever the amount and we’ve had a dream vs currently losing him for free.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 47er said:

I agree and the attempt to keep him has been made. The problem is that we need a central striker and he simply isn't one. He's a forward and that's as specific as it gets. But before we can sign anyone decent we have to sell him!

No-one else would bring enough. So it would be a difficult season next season even with him, unless we pull a rabbit out of a hat.

If we sold him in the summer, even for £5m, after agreeing an extension this month then we’d have a bit of cash to go and get a couple of players, surely.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to offload Gally either. Doesn’t look like JDT rates him.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We turned down £8m didn’t we, last year? It wasn’t enough then….what I’m saying is, I’d let him sign the new contract and then invite bids. Sell him to the highest bidder, whatever the amount and we’ve had a dream vs currently losing him for free.

I'll rephrase.

A club could get Brereton for nothing at the end of the season. If they don't want him for nothing, they're hardly then going to bid millions for him a short while later are they?

• Like 2

On 18/02/2023 at 18:10, R0verb0y said:

Well, as one who's (one of?) this Board's Sandgrown 'Uns, I thought that, as I couldn't motivate myself to take my place in the Riverside this afternoon, I'd prepare this thread ahead of our midweek game against the team from my birthplace.

When I looked at the stats over the years and across various competitions including: the F.A. Cup (going back to the 1880s); nearly fifty years before our first meeting in the Football League; one season in the Premier League; and a few meetings in the easily-forgotten Anglo Scottish Cup in the 1970s, I found that there was very little difference between the two clubs. We've won 24 games; 'Pool have won 22; with 17 draws.

Many of us will approach next week's game with deep reservations about our abilities to see off a team in the Seasiders' position. Especially when, as today, they've had a "New Manager Bounce" off the bottom place in the Championship, I could imagine Mick McCarthy motivating them to give us a much closer game than our present positions in the Championship table would indicate.

So I reckon that we'll do very well to take the three points we need to keep our hopes of a play-off place alive. I'll leave selection of the actual team to those of you who had more 'stamina' than me this afternoon.

I remember last seasons encounter under TMs incredible spiral down the table, Blackpool were up for it and played better than Rovers. Could it be that the incredible Lenihan and Tony Mowbray already new they would'nt be here next season. Lenihans bragging about Boros position, he did'nt set Ewood alight.

17 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'll rephrase.

A club could get Brereton for nothing at the end of the season. If they don't want him for nothing, they're hardly then going to bid millions for him a short while later are they?

And Brereton and his agent know this. No transfer fee usually equates to bigger wages and bonuses.

I don't blame him by the way, it's another mess created by the owners and their cohorts.

• Like 1

Lenihen has gone to a more ambitious club than Rovers with an owner driven on getting them back up there so it's no wonder he is bragging.

He realised last season like one or two others Rovers didn't match his own ambitions and his move has so far proved him right.

• Like 1

I am not that convinced Dack and Brereton being out is such a big problem tbh. Brereton has been rubbish for ages now, and while Dack has been largely very good we actually played better in the second half on Saturday either side of him being on the pitch... He's a quality player but can be a real passenger if the game is not flowing in a way that best uses him. 

It's may well be that we, counter-intuitively, actually play better without them. I guess we will find out.

Team for me...

Pears

JRC      Carter       Hyam    Pickering

Travis     Buckley

Thomas      Dolan    Hedges

Gallagher

Subs : Youth goalie, Ayala, Morton, A Wharton (hopefully back), Szmodics, Vale, Leonard