BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

27 minutes ago, 47er said:

He's not useless. When he came we were on a disastrous run that pointed clearly to relegation. We couldn't get a win for love or money.

He did what he had to do, he made us hard to beat (with some obvious exceptions) and kept us in the Championship.

I don't see him as an inspiring type, I don't think he'll take us up but promotion is not a priority at Ewood anyway.

In any case we'll get yet another inadequate summer recruitment fiasco.

Let's remember he's at a club where the CEO said before the season started that the main objective is "to stay in the League". Bit of a different attitude at Ipswich!

There are better targets than Eustace. Till they're gone there will be no or little progress

I think he inspired the players yesterday enough to put in that performance.

• Like 1

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, Gav said:

Tony Mowbray is a footballing man through and through and if his health improves sufficiently enough, which it sounds as though it will, he'll be back at Brum and pushing for promotion next season, if those bonkers owners allow it.

I was with a Brum fan on Friday, his opinion, they wouldn't have gone down had Mowbray remained in charge and they should never have sacked Eustace! 

Personally I think League 1 is a bit beneath Mowbray at this point. He's proven in his time with us and Sunderland that he's a perfectly capable and safe pair of hands for the Championship. Probably isn't going to get you promoted, but won't get you relegated either - and the majority of the fanbases at the clubs he's been at seem to take to him as well, even if results aren't great at times. 

With that said, if he is capable health-wise I can see him staying at Brum to honour his commitment there. 

• Like 1

Of course he is, very capable manager at this level and he has that reputation in the game.

Always made me laugh when plenty on here tried to make out that Rovers was his meal ticket and he’d never get a gig again in the Championship.

Its will be interesting to see what happens with the footballing managerial merry around. 

Will Rohl stay with Sheff Wed or move to a Sunderland who been linked with? I would stay at Sheffield Weds personally. 

Who will Sunderland then appoint? They seem very focus on signimg young players and developing them. the head coach has little say in signings there. Will Still has been linked there. interesting who they go for. 

Who will Plymouth appoint now? 

What will Birmingham do now? Will Mowbray stay or leave? Will they appoint Rowett then? 

Will Huddersfield head coach stay on in league 1? I would be surprised if he did. 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Tony Mowbray is a footballing man through and through and if his health improves sufficiently enough, which it sounds as though it will, he'll be back at Brum and pushing for promotion next season, if those bonkers owners allow it.

I was with a Brum fan on Friday, his opinion, they wouldn't have gone down had Mowbray remained in charge and they should never have sacked Eustace! 

Will Mowbray want to stay on in league 1 or will he even be able to? 

3 hours ago, 47er said:

There are better targets than Eustace. Till they're gone there will be no or little progress

any names? 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

any names? 

Wonder how many Sheff Wednesday and QPR fans who wanted their previous managers gone could have named Rohl and Cifuentes? Not many. Therefore how did those respective clubs manage to find managers who did such an excellent job? It’s almost like those clubs had people whose job it was to specifically know more about football coaches than the fans do.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Wonder how many Sheff Wednesday and QPR fans who wanted their previous managers gone could have named Rohl and Cifuentes? Not many. Therefore how did those clubs respective clubs manage to find managers who did such an excellent job? It’s almost like those clubs had people whose job it was to specifically know more about football coaches than the fans do.

I'd take either of those two in a heart beat over Eustace.

They both come across well, talk a lot of common sense and are very positive.

15 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Wonder how many Sheff Wednesday and QPR fans who wanted their previous managers gone could have named Rohl and Cifuentes? Not many. Therefore how did those clubs respective clubs manage to find managers who did such an excellent job? It’s almost like those clubs had people whose job it was to specifically know more about football coaches than the fans do.

its fair point but no reasons why people can't comment or debate about it surely? 

• Backroom

I’d say, providing he is fit and well first and foremost, that Mowbrays stock has taken a slight increase 

One thing is for sure, if you look at twitter a lot of Sunderland fans are still annoyed they got rid 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’d say, providing he is fit and well first and foremost, that Mowbrays stock has taken a slight increase 

One thing is for sure, if you look at twitter a lot of Sunderland fans are still annoyed they got rid 

Again just like with the Rooney appointment, he was followed by someone who was shit so it made him look good by comparison. The Beale appointment was always very strange to me.

We all know that Mowbray's level is eternally bumbling along in the middle of the championship. He's a perfect fit for a club that has just come up and is struggling to get established.

• Like 1

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, Tom said:

I did consider giving Tone a slight increase, but really I think his reputation boost came from last season when he unexpectedly snuck Sunderland into the playoffs. I don't think he did enough this year to decrease his reputation, but Sunderland weren't really improved from the season prior when he left (not his fault, but they just weren't), and his time at Brum was so short that it's difficult to say he impressed enough in that period to increase his reputation.

Basically, I think he'd be considered the same now as this time last season by a chairman in the league looking for a manager. I don't think anything he did this season would change anything. Some chairmen could be concerned by the health issues, granted, but I don't think it'd be fair or reasonable to factor that in. 

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

There are plenty Rovers fans who are sad he left for that matter! I'm not one of them though!.

As someone wrote above, if you want to stabilise forever in the Championship, Tony is your man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DE. said:

I did consider giving Tone a slight increase, but really I think his reputation boost came from last season when he unexpectedly snuck Sunderland into the playoffs. I don't think he did enough this year to decrease his reputation, but Sunderland weren't really improved from the season prior when he left (not his fault, but they just weren't), and his time at Brum was so short that it's difficult to say he impressed enough in that period to increase his reputation.

Basically, I think he'd be considered the same now as this time last season by a chairman in the league looking for a manager. I don't think anything he did this season would change anything. Some chairmen could be concerned by the health issues, granted, but I don't think it'd be fair or reasonable to factor that in. 

Sunderland don't give their head coach must say in player recruitment and you could see from the start of the season that Mowbray was annoyed and didn't believe in just buying under 23 signings. 

Beale was a disaster appointment but after sacking Mowbray, they didn't know who to appoint as his replacement 

I did a simple extrapolation of bottom half clubs' current form and added 3 points for each game left to play against Rotherham.

20 March going down with Rotherham were:

Stoke 50 points

Rovers 45

(Brum 12th on 60 and Huddersfield 16th on 55)

5 April going down with Rotherham:

Huddersfield 48 on GD

Sheffield Wednesday 46

(Brum 20th 48 on GD and Rovers 18th 52 pts)

Actual end of season: 

Brum 50 points and Huddersfield 45 both down. Rovers 18th 53 points.

So both Birmingham and Huddersfield fell away in form at the end and paid the price. Noticeable that 50 points was a relegation points total as far back as mid March. Rovers did better than simple extrapolation would have suggested we would do- those three late away wins saved us.

15 hours ago, philipl said:

I did a simple extrapolation of bottom half clubs' current form and added 3 points for each game left to play against Rotherham.

20 March going down with Rotherham were:

Stoke 50 points

Rovers 45

(Brum 12th on 60 and Huddersfield 16th on 55)

5 April going down with Rotherham:

Huddersfield 48 on GD

Sheffield Wednesday 46

(Brum 20th 48 on GD and Rovers 18th 52 pts)

Actual end of season: 

Brum 50 points and Huddersfield 45 both down. Rovers 18th 53 points.

So both Birmingham and Huddersfield fell away in form at the end and paid the price. Noticeable that 50 points was a relegation points total as far back as mid March. Rovers did better than simple extrapolation would have suggested we would do- those three late away wins saved us.

We finished 19th.

Thank god we did not get relegated.  I was ready to quit on us if we had, least till Venkies sod off.  I mean what is the point with them in charge.  Rovers in Play Off spots most of the season and the Venkies fail to back the Manager.  STUPID.  Had they done so who knows, perhaps we have a season up there in the Prem.

Same again in summer and January, ny that point they have completely made our exciting young boss' position untenable.  STUPID.  I really feel had JDT been fully backed we would have done well under him.

Sickening to think Mowbary got 12million to spunk on Brereton and the still somewhat hapless Gally, he's looked worse last couple games.  Certain Szmodics will be flogged and not replaced, Leonard and Telalovic up front.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Anyway Euros to enjoy makes the close season seem shorter.  

6 hours ago, USABlue said:

Thank god we did not get relegated.  I was ready to quit on us if we had, least till Venkies sod off.  I mean what is the point with them in charge.  Rovers in Play Off spots most of the season and the Venkies fail to back the Manager.  STUPID.  Had they done so who knows, perhaps we have a season up there in the Prem.

Same again in summer and January, ny that point they have completely made our exciting young boss' position untenable.  STUPID.  I really feel had JDT been fully backed we would have done well under him.

Sickening to think Mowbary got 12million to spunk on Brereton and the still somewhat hapless Gally, he's looked worse last couple games.  Certain Szmodics will be flogged and not replaced, Leonard and Telalovic up front.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Anyway Euros to enjoy makes the close season seem shorter.  

I’d rather the close season was longer to be honest. I need a good long break from the circus that is Blackburn Rovers at the moment.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’d rather the close season was longer to be honest. I need a good long break from the circus that is Blackburn Rovers at the moment.

This. Years back I used to really hate it when the end of the season came around, but with the exception of the League 1 promotion season I have been really glad to see the back of each and every season for the past decade.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Posted (edited)

Since Venky's took over I think I've genuinely looked forward to two seasons - our first back in the Championship after L1, and JDT's first season. All others either apathy or dread. Next season probably a combo of both. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I still can't get my head around the table after we beat Norwich 3-1 away. Madness. Another managed decline in the second half of a season. 

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 12.33.33.png

Edited by Groundhog

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This. Years back I used to really hate it when the end of the season came around, but with the exception of the League 1 promotion season I have been really glad to see the back of each and every season for the past decade.

I know some people (on here and the wider fan base) will simply renew their season tickets, out of what they consider to be loyalty to the club, but perhaps it is time to sit back and take stock.

We all have probably all sang the we'll support you ever more song and meant it, but I really do believe that there is some serious poison at this club now and it is that bad, that it needs to be driven out. It is no longer just the owners, we have people in sight and out of sight, who are dismantling the very fabric of the club and everything it stands for.

Most on here have got a real feel for what the owners are really up to and my honest view is that we need to now start to vote with out feet. Even those on here who are renewing, perhaps an E Mail to Sw4gg0tt@rovers.co.uk just to check what the aims are for the current season, is in order. After all, it feels to me like the message given out before the start of the 23/24 season, that the project has changed and it was the aim for staving off relegation, was only done so, due to JDT highlighting it. If Waggott's aim this year is the same, does it seem right to any loyal fan, than we support this and let them get away with it, as I am pretty sure we will fail with the aim this coming season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

I still can't get my head around the table after we beat Norwich 3-1 away. Madness. Another managed decline in the second half of a season. 

At home to Watford on Saturday 23 December, with 10 minutes to go, we were 2 points outside the play off places. The rest is history! 

Just now, Rochdale Blues said:

At home to Watford on Saturday 23 December, with 10 minutes to go, we were 2 points outside the play off places. The rest is history! 

I was just thinking of the Norwich game as they're in the playoffs. 

Yeah that's the point it turned - those two fumbles by Leo, set the tone, our collective arse went.

That positive feeling we had when Adam scored after 5 mins feels an age ago. 

I do remember thinking after the home win against Birmingham that something wasn't right, that performance was an odd one, got away with it. The whole thing of not feeling comfortable, even at 3-0 up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

After 18 games, 2 points out of the playoffs, just battered Birmingham 4-2 and heading to bottom of the table Sheffield Wednesday next who had 7 points from 18 games....

We then went on to win 2 of our next 21 matches (1 of 11 under JDT, 1 of 1 under Johnson and 0 of 9 under Eustace)

image.png.f3f78cdc31f442f07e59d1476a0fca20.png

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1