SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Ipswich Town (a) - 23/9/23

9 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

New keeper 

Brittain. Carter  Hyam. Pickering 

Travis.  Wharton. JRC

Markanday.  Leonard.   Szmodics

Whichever front 3 anyone on here selects, it’s dreadful. Dolan, Markanday, Hedges - not good enough. Leonard should be on loan in L1 or coming through gradually from the bench. I’ll be stunned if Semir comes good this season.

For the millionth time, thanks Venkys.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Whichever front 3 anyone on here selects, it’s dreadful. Dolan, Markanday, Hedges - not good enough. For the millionth time, thanks Venkys.

Essentially you are correct. The positive is we create lots of chances and beyond that get into good areas and make the wrong decisions. The hope is that Ennis and siggurdson stay fit and are the difference makers. Its a long shot but that's what I'm holding onto.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Essentially you are correct. The positive is we create lots of chances and beyond that get into good areas and make the wrong decisions. The hope is that Ennis and siggurdson stay fit and are the difference makers. Its a long shot but that's what I'm holding onto.

From what we’ve seen so far, and from what Plymouth fans have said, I don’t think Ennis will ever stay fit. Gallagher too plays a handful of games then is out for another 8 weeks. To be reliant on those two is a damning indictment of where we’re at.

Hopefully Sigurdsson comes good but he’s never scored lots of goals - more of a wide forward as I understand it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Leo

Brittain. Carter  Hyam. Pickering 

Travis.        Wharton. 
                  Szmodics

Hedges  Telalovic   Moran

Ideally Siggy for Hedges but can’t seem him starting yet…Time to throw Telalovic in straight away and see what he’s made of. Leonard did okay yesterday so wouldn’t be against him starting again - Tronstad needs to be on the bench because there’s no way I’m watching Jake Garrett again anytime soon after his cameo last night…

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

From what we’ve seen so far, and from what Plymouth fans have said, I don’t think Ennis will ever stay fit. Gallagher too plays a handful of games then is out for another 8 weeks. To be reliant on those two is a damning indictment of where we’re at.

Hopefully Sigurdsson comes good but he’s never scored lots of goals - more of a wide forward as I understand it.

Last season Ennis made 38 appearances in L1, scored 12 goals with 6 assists. On 4 occasions covering 8 games he wasn't in the squad, presumably injured.

However in those 38 appearances he only completed 4 full games of 90 minutes, and a total of 1838 minutes on field for an average of 48 minutes per game.

He was possibly an oncoming sub in over a third of his appearances.

I doubt he's been really fit for a long time yet last season he still managed a goal every 153 minutes, which is good even for L1.

He needs minutes on the pitch to see if he can score in the Championship but then the brick wall of fitness/ injury appears and the need for the player to have the spunk to overcome a bit of pain.

Fancy us to beat anyone, and I mean anyone if we take our chances. I think we'll be too good for Ipswich and come away with 3 points. 

Pears

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering 

Wharton Travis Moran 

Hedges Szmodics 

Telalovic 

I think it's time to play Telalovic, Leonard has struggled more away from home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Tronstad needs to be on the bench because there’s no way I’m watching Jake Garrett again anytime soon after his cameo last night…

What happened to Garrett last night ? Way below his usual performance levels - also JRC didn't do his chances of a midfield start much good either.

Such a difficult team selection ahead of a crucial game, we have a couple of fixtures coming up that if we don't sort our issues out at both ends could see us looking nervously over our shoulder.

There just aren't the alternatives to make much of a difference. First name on the team sheet should be Wahlstedt, Tomasson deserves sympathy for most of the restrictions but his continued choice to play Pears is not helping his cause.

Wharton is a conundrum, he has not been great this season and was terrible last night, but he is such a talent. Tronstad is in the cold at the moment and didn't impress v West Brom but could maybe help to stiffen things up in midfield.

In attack, god knows. Leonard was the only one who could score yesterday but has particularly looked off it away from home, and Telalovic has struggled in his cameos, but maybe could give us a bit more pace. I suspect Sigurdsson won't be fit enough to start and Dolan and Markanday aren't up to it.

Maybe:

Wahlstedt

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

Travis Tronstad Wharton

Szmodics Telalovic Moran

Doesn't make me confident, Moran is quite slow and not suited out wide and Szmodics is out of position too. Not convinced that Telalovic will be the ready made answer. Could put Rankin Costello, Hedges or even Leonard amidst that team, either way our best chance is probably a 1 nil smash and grab.

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Whichever front 3 anyone on here selects, it’s dreadful. Dolan, Markanday, Hedges - not good enough. Leonard should be on loan in L1 or coming through gradually from the bench. I’ll be stunned if Semir comes good this season.

For the millionth time, thanks Venkys.

JDT knows it .We know it and so do the players.

Meanwhile, the egg-head with the management speak says "We're pleased. It was a good window"..

I don't believe you...

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Last season Ennis made 38 appearances in L1, scored 12 goals with 6 assists. On 4 occasions covering 8 games he wasn't in the squad, presumably injured.

However in those 38 appearances he only completed 4 full games of 90 minutes, and a total of 1838 minutes on field for an average of 48 minutes per game.

He was possibly an oncoming sub in over a third of his appearances.

I doubt he's been really fit for a long time yet last season he still managed a goal every 153 minutes, which is good even for L1.

He needs minutes on the pitch to see if he can score in the Championship but then the brick wall of fitness/ injury appears and the need for the player to have the spunk to overcome a bit of pain.

We brought him in, unfit and gave him a 4 year contract despite those already worrying fitness and mins on the pitch stats.

Then we have a head coach who basically said you've brought me an unfit player what am i supposed to do with him ?

I struggle to get my head around all this it's not the kind of gamble clubs like us should be making.

• Like 5

I'm going against what seems to be a popular convention on this thread and say we are going to win. I saw Ipswich crab a win at Sunderland and last nights match at Ewood was similar to this game. Sunderland were better all over the pitch but couldn't score despite the plethora of chances they created. Ipswich have started really well and are exceeding their supporters expectations right now but they will hit the buffers soon. Hopefully it's on Saturday.

And I really want one of our players to smash Morsey who has had the Indian sign over us during his time with Wigan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I'm going against what seems to be a popular convention on this thread and say we are going to win. I saw Ipswich crab a win at Sunderland and last nights match at Ewood was similar to this game. Sunderland were better all over the pitch but couldn't score despite the plethora of chances they created. Ipswich have started really well and are exceeding their supporters expectations right now but they will hit the buffers soon. Hopefully it's on Saturday.

And I really want one of our players to smash Morsey who has had the Indian sign over us during his time with Wigan.

IF we score first, you never know.

I’m not so optimistic, and think their confidence, form, home advantage and an extra day’s rest all point to an Ipswich win.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I so want that.

Last night if Sammy had put his early good chance in the onion bag instead of straight at the keeper it could well have altered the outcome.

Sooner or later 20+ shots will produce more than 1 goal, I hope it's at Ipswich.

I gave Wharton a bit of stick last night but he is just about our only player who could have received and dealt with the suicide pass from Carter that was the root cause of our conceding the third goal.

Also when Wharton went off our CBs started their slow passing around at the back having lost their main outlet.

• Like 1

As we've said before Buckley and Wharton should be the guys vying for that central mid spot and probably what JDT had in mind once he'd got Buckley up to speed again in training.

No option now but to keep chucking on raw kids and hoping for the best but then again the directors have zero ambition for the club other than putting a bit of value into players.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I so want that.

Last night if Sammy had put his early good chance in the onion bag instead of straight at the keeper it could well have altered the outcome.

Sooner or later 20+ shots will produce more than 1 goal, I hope it's at Ipswich.

I gave Wharton a bit of stick last night but he is just about our only player who could have received and dealt with the suicide pass from Carter that was the root cause of our conceding the third goal.

Also when Wharton went off our CBs started their slow passing around at the back having lost their main outlet.

Do you expect our current underwhelming set of attacking players to suddenly start becoming more clinical in front of goal though? Ive seen many suggest that it is only a matter of time before the goals start going in but I dont get why as we dont have a natural goalscorer.

Also, are we likely to create 20 odd chances in every game? Probably not.

5 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

How do you have Markanday in there and no Moran? The latter played well yesterday.

Thought moran was very poor in the final third. 

I don't particularly rate markanday but we're trying to find goals and he can finish better than some of the other options. Really it's a case of rotating the deck chairs but you can't suggest right sided forward who we didn't sign in the window on the teamsheet.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I so want that.

I think you are correct. It's fine margins sometimes. We'll never know for sure but had we scored first at Plymouth and last night I honestly think we would be six points better off now. The problem is clear for all to see and quite how you overcome it I don't really know. I was thinking earlier that, for all his weaknesses a younger Jordan Rhodes would have a field day, the natural goalscorer we are clearly lacking.

• Like 1