BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

7 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Personally I think it's a shame Telalovic isn't featuring more off the bench. Confidence is key for a striker and the lack of faith shown in him can't be doing him any good. Monchengladbach were prepared to give him a debut in the Bundesliga, we have seen some really poor games this season and should be giving him more of a chance.

Tomasson called for patience but has clearly made his mind up on him already.

I don't think Dolan would get a sniff of the first team at Gladbach.

He got a couple of minutes and then they happily offloaded him in the summer for a nominal fee, so im not sure they saw too much of him.

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

We've had the bedding in period now. We're roughly a quarter of the way through the season... One of Ennis or Telalovic needs to show they are a decent 10+ goal a season striker. If one of them performs and one of them doesn't I think we will take that. But if neither can make a solid impression then Broughton's credibility is going to take a real hammering, which will be a shame as his signings away from CF have broadly looked pretty good.

Im not sure it would necessarily "take a hammering" because you are struggling to find anything useful with no money to play with.

18 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

vardy was already acustomed to playing english football,he`d been in the lower leagues getting the rough stuff for years,thats the point i made,we might as well have gone down the league pyramid and pick someone out from there,they would ready to go and start

Would they? Tons of lower English league players fail when they step up, probably the majority in fact. The only difference would be that they'd played in an English semi-pro league instead of a German one. Which only counts for a little. The German leagues are also similar in style to the English leagues.

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Vardy was a unique case, and he took a year to settle. He isnt the norm for signing players from non league.

Never said it was the norm. My point was very simple, the profile of the player does not disqualify him from success. While we're on it, if Vardy took a year to settle, I'm sure we can give Telalovic a few more months before people start writing him off (not talking about you).

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Would they? Tons of lower English league players fail when they step up, probably the majority in fact. The only difference would be that they'd played in an English semi-pro league instead of a German one. Which only counts for a little. The German leagues are also similar in style to the English leagues.

Never said it was the norm. My point was very simple, the profile of the player does not disqualify him from success. While we're on it, if Vardy took a year to settle, I'm sure we can give Telalovic a few more months before people start writing him off (not talking about you).

Even though he was way way way down the list, they must have seen something in him to warrant giving him a go. It's a big step up but I think we've got the right coaching setup for him to do that.

Even Sammy took a while to get settled here, now he's the focal point of the whole team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Newcastle watched Wharton once again last night. One to watch in January I would suggest unfortunately.

He's not been pulling up trees on the same level he was last season tbh, so I expect a bid will either fail to transpire  or it will be a lowball.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Thought he stood out against the £110m midfielder yesterday.

Adam looked like he was getting back to form last night after a few indifferent performances. Personally I thought he was impressive and more than held his own. He was seeing key passes again last night and whilst everything he tried didn't come off he kept trying to do the right thing. Tomasson has a midfield selection dilemma for Sunday now.

53 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Thought he stood out against the £110m midfielder yesterday.

Couldn't watch, so I was going off what I've seen and heard this season so far. Good, he can play a lot better than he has been doing.

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Anyone get a sense yesterday at the game that Siggy is fed up? 

JDT seems a bit fed up too

Presumably at his own performance levels after 3 terrible ones before coming on to miss a sitter yesterday.

Although ive no idea how you have ascertained that.

Tomasson has seemed fed up since really seeing what these owners are like.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Adam looked like he was getting back to form last night after a few indifferent performances. Personally I thought he was impressive and more than held his own. He was seeing key passes again last night and whilst everything he tried didn't come off he kept trying to do the right thing. Tomasson has a midfield selection dilemma for Sunday now.

just don`t put him with travis,he ends up trying to hold the midfield together on his own while the headless chicken charges all over the place,we`ve looked a lot more balanced with tronstadt in the middle,if it was me id`e push wharton right up playing off our main striker,he`s got the killer final ball

• Like 2

Hes never a player playing off the front man, problem has been he played earlier in the season when Tomasson was playing far too gung ho leaving Wharton alone to protect the defence.

He should sit deep and dictate, taking it off the defence, but alongside Tronstad or even Travis but under the more defensive tactics we have seen recently. I would go Tronstad next to Wharton and then Rankin Costello off the right, because he links well with Brittain and we dont otherwise have a right winger bar Markanday who isnt good enough.

30 minutes ago, philipl said:

Rovers now one of six club's linked to Wimbledon's prolific Iraqi international striker Ali Al-Hamadi. Leeds apparently favourites in the race.

Hardly prolific. His 4 goals this season don't even put him on the BBC's top scorers list for League Two, which has 25 players. Hard to imagine us or Leeds are in for him. Only 21 though, so maybe they see potential. We don't need another potential striker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2023/11/09/david-rayas-agent-reveals-issues-with-permanent-arsenal-transfer-19800593/amp/

This isn't encouraging. His agent describes the deal as 'an option to buy in the summer'. I'd been given the impression it was a mandatory purchase as soon as a small number of appearances were made, so I was hoping we might see some money in January.

If the loan fee of 3 mill is considered separate to the transfer fee (perhaps more likely if the buy is only an option, dunno), I suspect we also won't see any of that when we get our slice, and it will be a percent of the profit on the 3 mill or so Brentford paid, but taken only from the 27 million rather than the full 30. I also wonder whether the add ons Brentford paid for promotion etc will be added to the threshold of when we start getting our chunk.

I think the percent is 15? Assuming that, all of this could be the difference between getting about 4 million in January, or about 3.3 million in the summer, or even nothing at all.

700k is an entire player for us. Not getting anything at all compared to 4 or 3.3 mill is like if we'd had to get freebies instead of Szmodics and Hyam, maybe Brittain too. (Yes I know, it can always get sucked up in the black hole too, but the bigger that black hole is, the more desperate our dealings get and the more pressure we're under to sell players at cut prices).

I really hope the Prem clubs haven't conspired to fuck us on this.