BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

everton supposedly in for adam wharton,quoted as 10/15 million and a loan back

he`s certainly not looked the same player this season mainly down to being closed down quicker,which you expect,im`e concerned about his mobility off the ball,he does`nt look to interested imo

Based on the way he’s played this season I’d bite their hand off at that money 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Based on the way he’s played this season I’d bite their hand off at that money 

i thought he`d push on and absolutely stand out like a future international this season,it has`nt happened and for the first time i`me wondering if he`s got an attitude problem,especially when it comes to issues off the ball,he does`nt seem to want it back,content to wait for others to do the work for him,im`e leaning towards taking the cash if the offer is serious,jdt with 15 million quid to spend is tempting(thats if the indians and swag don`t take it all off him)

10 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Offer him a "pay as you play" deal. He's currently earning nothing & wants to prove himself, if he's a crock, it costs us nothing. Surely got to be worth a phone call (not that it will happen). Someone of his ability & experience could rip up this league & prove a very valuable member of the dressing room..

On a side note, I didn't realise he was only 32, seems to have been around for ages!

Strangely, I thought he was younger than that -because, tbh I'd forgotten about him being a regular prem starter a of couple of years back .🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes being left exposed in a gung ho system where only he is expected to protect 2 centre backs in front of a shit keeper with everyone else up the pitch. 

A serious injury waiting to happen the way he's being utilised at the moment. He's the best passer in the middle, while Trav and Tron have their obvious weaknesses in that department. Bucko and Wharton would be a lot more dynamic if we could get one of Trav or Tron to sit back and do the dirty work defensively.

22 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

A serious injury waiting to happen the way he's being utilised at the moment. He's the best passer in the middle, while Trav and Tron have their obvious weaknesses in that department. Bucko and Wharton would be a lot more dynamic if we could get one of Trav or Tron to sit back and do the dirty work defensively.

I think Buckley cannot do what Wharton does, taking the ball in those positions. And Wharton hasnt been very good this season, and at times that includes sloppiness on the ball. But how we currently play is really not helping him off the ball, would be a thankless task for anyone to be a solitary last line of protection of 2 centre backs ahead of a mistake prone keeper. Tomasson has even said he needs to improve off the ball, but he is being naive in leaving him so exposed.

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Doesn't matter what we say, Nixon is determined to sell him!  😩

He has a patreon to fill for those gullible few who opt to actually pay money to read his drivel.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Buckley cannot do what Wharton does, taking the ball in those positions. And Wharton hasnt been very good this season, and at times that includes sloppiness on the ball. But how we currently play is really not helping him off the ball, would be a thankless task for anyone to be a solitary last line of protection of 2 centre backs ahead of a mistake prone keeper. Tomasson has even said he needs to improve off the ball, but he is being naive in leaving him so exposed.

He has a patreon to fill for those gullible few who opt to actually pay money to read his drivel.

I agree he hasn't lit the world on fire, but he was injured during pre-season and probably needs a bit of time to get going. Also at 19 he shouldn't be carrying the team by himself. We're creating enough chances and if our forwards had a better conversion rate (all bar Szmodics being shit) then perhaps Adam wouldn't be under such scrutiny.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I agree he hasn't lit the world on fire, but he was injured during pre-season and probably needs a bit of time to get going. Also at 19 he shouldn't be carrying the team by himself. We're creating enough chances and if our forwards had a better conversion rate (all bar Szmodics being shit) then perhaps Adam wouldn't be under such scrutiny.

I'd say we have been through a bit of a 8-9 game experiment which has had some plusses but obviously is unsustainable in terms of goals conceded, and probably we will become a bit more conservative now. 

This sort of thing happens... I remember the season after Holtby joined Mowbray went for a very high intensity gegenpress at the start of the season which looked really good initially but we started conceding a lot of goals and eventually we changed the setup entirely. Feels a lot like that.

I'd say most Championship teams will play 2-3 systems over the season as they get worked out and adjust accordingly. Way we play at the moment if Wharton is marked out of the game we are buggered, and if the opposition are happy to play direct they will create a lot of chances as we only have three players back to do any defending. Think we will change it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd say we have been through a bit of a 8-9 game experiment which has had some plusses but obviously is unsustainable in terms of goals conceded, and probably we will become a bit more conservative now. 

This sort of thing happens... I remember the season after Holtby joined Mowbray went for a very high intensity gegenpress at the start of the season which looked really good initially but we started conceding a lot of goals and eventually we changed the setup entirely. Feels a lot like that.

I'd say most Championship teams will play 2-3 systems over the season as they get worked out and adjust accordingly. Way we play at the moment if Wharton is marked out of the game we are buggered, and if the opposition are happy to play direct they will create a lot of chances as we only have three players back to do any defending. Think we will change it.

100% agree. Been having the exact same feeling.

21 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

The main issues are off the ball which are predominantly down to tactics chosen by Tomasson. So I do qualify my poor start comment with the clarity that much of it is not directly down to him.

He does need to cut down the slack passes but I have faith that he can do that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i thought he`d push on and absolutely stand out like a future international this season,it has`nt happened and for the first time i`me wondering if he`s got an attitude problem,especially when it comes to issues off the ball,he does`nt seem to want it back,content to wait for others to do the work for him,im`e leaning towards taking the cash if the offer is serious,jdt with 15 million quid to spend is tempting(thats if the indians and swag don`t take it all off him)

Is he holding on to nurse

For fear of something worse...

A poor man's Stevie G?

9 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Not in that much danger of being injured jogging around for a bit and standing watching the opposition with the ball. He looked fantastic last season, but that languid style has degenerated into lazyness as far as I can see.

• Like 3

On 25/09/2023 at 22:53, simongarnerisgod said:

andros townsend without a club,any slight ambition on our part would be out there asking him if he fancied getting fit with the aim of a contract,it`s not as if clubs are queing up to sign him

He was one of the panellists on 'Monday Night Club' on Radio 5 this week, pretty well putting himself in the shop window for any club where his child(ren) would still be within travelling distance of their school(s?).

No real mention of any footballing abilities to attract any Rovers fan who: i) may have been listening; and: ii) couldn't properly recall him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

From Alan Nixon’s Patreon 

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/toon-fancy-wharton/459

Newcastle United will make a second bid to sign Blackburn Rovers midfield wizard Adam Wharton in the next window.

IMG_4289.jpeg

Heaven help us. He has started his nonsense early hasn't he.

I can't believe that people pay to read his guesswork.

• Like 6