BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not sure why people are getting excited about the January window, we're still waiting to hear what went wrong last January which Broughton promised to reveal and unsurprisingly didn't, brushing it all under the carpet with ultimately no recriminations for anyone.

The best thing we could do in advance of this window (apart from potting Waggott) would be to sack Broughton and bring in an actual experienced DOF with an eye for a player who knows the market. Neither will happen of course and JDT will no doubt continue  to be saddled with players he doesn't really want to pick  like Ennis, Telalovic and Wahlstedt.

Broughton has revealed what happened last January window. What more needs to be said? 

Our recruitment departments finds players and then recommend players to GB and JDT. A Director of football doesn't find players so you don't understand what and how the role works. 

I would just add that our recruitment team can find good signings like Hyam, Szmodics, Brittain, Tronstad, Sigurdsson, Hill(as loan signing). Ennis and Telalovic I think it is far too early to judge them as we haven't seen much of them to be able to form an opinion. On Wahlstedt I think he is work in progress signing and you can see why we signed him 

People can view transfer business with one eye, signings who have done well are described as such, those who haven't cannot be judged yet, its too early or its a work in progress. It says a lot that the manager simply refuses to even use the 2 strikers signed this summer off the bench when we have no senior strikers.

Broughton's transfer record is IMO mixed, I don't think there has been a noticeable improvement in recruitment since he arrived, very much a mixed bag.

But he isn't the problem. The owners are forcing him to work with his hands tied behind his back, and again @RevidgeBlue simply will not believe that.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, roverblue said:

I dont think we sign anyone in January, looked at the high court order and it looks like it only covers running costs until end of December.

So I would assume in January we are more likely to sell someone (Wharton) to pay for the next few months of running costs whilst they are allowed to.

If I was a betting man I would wager on us loaning some teenager from a premier league club with the physical attributes of a 14 year old and with little or no starting appearances at any level.

Only up until January, how convenient.

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Broughton has revealed what happened last January window. What more needs to be said? 

Our recruitment departments finds players and then recommend players to GB and JDT. A Director of football doesn't find players so you don't understand what and how the role works. 

I would just add that our recruitment team can find good signings like Hyam, Szmodics, Brittain, Tronstad, Sigurdsson, Hill(as loan signing). Ennis and Telalovic I think it is far too early to judge them as we haven't seen much of them to be able to form an opinion. On Wahlstedt I think he is work in progress signing and you can see why we signed him 

Too early to judge Telalovic, i agree.

Ennis is a strange one though, something's not right there. He's 24, has over 100 career appearances at first team level, admittedly at League one level, and has made 25+ appearances in the last 3 seasons. He had his fitness issues/injuries but is surely past those now. JDT opts to not play a striker and doesn't always bring Ennis on if we need a goal.

Not sure if it's caution with his previous injuries, not showing enough in training or just not good enough?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davulsukur said:

On Wahlstedt I think he is work in progress signing and you can see why we signed him 

wahlstadt looks like another walton to me,uncertain,error prone,slow to get down and does`nt inspire confidence in his centre backs,i cannot understand why we`ve spent a million quid on him when there were steady keepers going for free in the summer transfer window

12 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Ennis is a strange one though, something's not right there. He's 24, has over 100 career appearances at first team level, admittedly at League one level, and has made 25+ appearances in the last 3 seasons. He had his fitness issues/injuries but is surely past those now. JDT opts to not play a striker and doesn't always bring Ennis on if we need a goal.

Not sure if it's caution with his previous injuries, not showing enough in training or just not good enough?

As has been said before, appearances can mean on for the last 5 minutes. The number of starts he has made is more significant.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, davulsukur said:

If we are approaching Christmas and a player hasn't been selected once, I think we can make some sort of judgement.

And it doesn't reflect well on those responsible.

• Like 1

From Jackson's article on Jan. 2024 transfer window in today's LT:

Around £8m of it will go towards wages and salaries, while £900,000 will cover VAT and around £217,000 is marked for ‘repayment of loan’.
Additionally, £1.8m will cover agent fees and £572,000 will go towards utilities as part of the day-to-day running of the club.

£1.8million on agents' fees !!!  Unbelievable (not far short of our season ticket revenue) - think there are some extremely 'soft touches' in our Exec. Management.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 08:10, davulsukur said:

Honestly if we had a senior starting striker and we signed Ennis and Telalovic I think they'd be seen as very acceptable gambles even if they didn't work out long term - much as Nuttall was a few years ago. If we had a Danny Graham now they'd be under a lot less pressure to perform immediately. I still think Ennis was signed with the assumption that we'd also sign a first choice forward, he was through the door before the budget was slashed - it's possible that if we'd known we would need that wage to go towards a first team regular they might have pulled the plug on the deal and we'd now have one striker on the combined wage of Ennis and Telalovic starting every week. Sadly we'll never know.

Unfortunately in hindsight we both couldn't afford to sign a guaranteed striker and couldn't afford not to sign a guaranteed striker. Rock and a hard place.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

From Jackson's article on Jan. 2024 transfer window in today's LT:

Around £8m of it will go towards wages and salaries, while £900,000 will cover VAT and around £217,000 is marked for ‘repayment of loan’.
Additionally, £1.8m will cover agent fees and £572,000 will go towards utilities as part of the day-to-day running of the club.

£1.8million on agents' fees !!!  Unbelievable (not far short of our season ticket revenue) - think there are some extremely 'soft touches' in our Exec. Management.

The £1.8m agent fees is a strange one, spend on agents is published by the EFL and for the last few seasons it's been around £500k a season and I can't see it being anywhere near that this season. 

So I am starting to think maybe agent fees includes other types of agents besides football ones such as people who have introduced Venture Capitalists for the  training ground loan or funding advice /legal advice we are likely to need.

One thing we can say is once the Indian Government sinks their teeth into this they will investigate every single payment the Venky's have sent to the UK and how it has been spent. It is going to be a very long and drawn out affair to say the least 

2 hours ago, phili said:

One thing we can say is once the Indian Government sinks their teeth into this they will investigate every single payment the Venky's have sent to the UK and how it has been spent. It is going to be a very long and drawn out affair to say the least 

yes,put all the venkys in jail for corruption,fraud and other shady business dealings,i hope they`ve upset someone influential in indian government,there are no P****y appeal courts over there,straight to jail mama.belaji,pasha and the other one.take mr venky with you as well

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yes,put all the venkys in jail for corruption,fraud and other shady business dealings,i hope they`ve upset someone influential in indian government,there are no P****y appeal courts over there,straight to jail mama.belaji,pasha and the other one.take mr venky with you as well

The flip side being, if nothing dodgy is found after what you'd hope will be a comprehensive investigation, we can put a lot of the rumours and conspiracies to bed.

india is a very feudal country with many rich and powerful family dynasties,if venkys have upset someone in the upper crust of indian business society the repercusions will be very bad for them,i don`t think it`s about indian tax laws,they`ve P****d someone off and they are being squeezed like an orange,the truth will out soon

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

india is a very feudal country with many rich and powerful family dynasties,if venkys have upset someone in the upper crust of indian business society the repercusions will be very bad for them,i don`t think it`s about indian tax laws,they`ve P****d someone off and they are being squeezed like an orange,the truth will out soon

And where are the Rao family other than the uppermost crust?

Not a defense of them. Just pointing out reality.

Sure there are the Ambanis and Tatas worth a multiple more but there aren't that many in India worth a few billion.

The speed with which Indian society is changing is striking too. Obviously different parts at different paces but it is now unsafe to make sweeping generalisations like that.

Edited by philipl

6 hours ago, philipl said:

And where are the Rao family other than the uppermost crust?

Not a defense of them. Just pointing out reality.

Sure there are the Ambanis and Tatas worth a multiple more but there aren't that many in India worth a few billion.

The speed with which Indian society is changing is striking too. Obviously different parts at different paces but it is now unsafe to make sweeping generalisations like that.

venktards  are well know in pune and Maharashtra state,other than that they are pretty much seen as a regional business,though they`de like to be seen as another mittal or hinduja no doubt

india as country will never change,the rich will get richer and the poor will always live in abject poverty,it`s the caste system and religious divide