BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

4 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Do clubs, any clubs, really buy 23 year olds as ‘development’ projects?

No. Only impecunious clubs that have run out of options

A 23-year old should have 50-100 league games under his belt and a striker would have at least 10 goals. A very good one would 20-30. 

Let's face it: Telelvioc (sp?) was a desperate signing in a desperate window by a desperate management of a desperate club. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you can`t tell me that jdt did`nt want a striker who was ready to start instead of another project ,telalovic might come good but we don`t have the time to wait,we should have gone down the league and got a striker from england,we are supposedly skint so that would have been the best option,at least he`d have been familiar with the game over here

You say supposedly skint as if its questionable. But even to sign a lower league striker would cost a fee we seemingly didnt have. We couldnt even afford another loan. There seems to be absolutely no blame towards the owners or recognition that Broughton had his hands tied behind his back.

39 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you can`t tell me that jdt did`nt want a striker who was ready to start instead of another project ,telalovic might come good but we don`t have the time to wait,we should have gone down the league and got a striker from england,we are supposedly skint so that would have been the best option,at least he`d have been familiar with the game over here

JDT did want a proven Championship striker but we didn't have the funds. Simple as. If you actually listened to the GB interview he said they had a choice between Telalovic or Striker on loan from La Liga. They picked Telalovic. 

I think we do have time cos JDT will be working with him to get him ready for this level. 

Yes we could have look to sign someone from league 2 or SPL but yet again we don't know how much they would have cost. Rest is guesswork. 

27 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

no,it was a desperation signing,you should be playing 1st team football at that age,whatever your level

Telalovic was someone who we scouted and look at live. It wasn't desperation signing as you suggested. A desperation signing would have been signing someone who we didn't scouted properly and signing them for the sake of it

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The owners should be held to task for slashing the budget to make signing a competent striker practically impossible.

Nothing new there , the club has been set to fail ever since the owners arrived  ... Unfortunately, I can not see a way out !!

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Telalovic was someone who we scouted and look at live. It wasn't desperation signing as you suggested. A desperation signing would have been signing someone who we didn't scouted properly and signing them for the sake of it

i don`t believe they did any scouting on him,why would you scout someone who`s only played regularly in the german regional leagues when you are in the second division of english football,it`s a bloody big step up,especially when telalovic is 23 and not a youth player,come the last day of the transfer window broughton will have been on the phone in a panic to every agent in europe asking for cheap players

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t believe they did any scouting on him,why would you scout someone who`s only played regularly in the german regional leagues when you are in the second division of english football,it`s a bloody big step up,especially when telalovic is 23 and not a youth player,come the last day of the transfer window broughton will have been on the phone in a panic to every agent in europe asking for cheap players

Believe what you want Simon. GB explained the Telalovic signing fully. 

We lined up Telalovic days before we sign him. 

Rovers under GB/JDT scouted players and looking for signings everywhere. 

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

I wouldn’t blame Broughton but I wouldn’t believe his ‘slant’ on everything either.

As always, the blame comes from the very top.

I certainly am far from 100% convinced by Broughton and I dont believe that our overall transfer record has necessarily increased in success compared to before he joined the club.

But the Telalovic signing was clearly one out of desperation during that phase in the transfer window when there was no clarity from the owners, they were causing delays and had slashed the budget so much. On the same day, despite letting Buckley go, we were not allowed to bring in a further loan such was the situation with the budget cuts. So I can have sympathy on that deal that it clearly wasnt a first choice target by a long stretch.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I certainly am far from 100% convinced by Broughton and I dont believe that our overall transfer record has necessarily increased in success compared to before he joined the club.

But the Telalovic signing was clearly one out of desperation during that phase in the transfer window when there was no clarity from the owners, they were causing delays and had slashed the budget so much. On the same day, despite letting Buckley go, we were not allowed to bring in a further loan such was the situation with the budget cuts. So I can have sympathy on that deal that it clearly wasnt a first choice target by a long stretch.

They were looking for the new “ John Stead “ but even Stead had played at league level for a while.

• Like 1

There's no doubt Telalovic was on our Z list of targets. As the deadline got closer, a decision had to be made on whether we sign a Z lister or no striker at all. No striker at all would have been a PR disaster. 

Telalovic is so far off it that I don't think he'll ever get a run of games here. Once Gally is back I don't think Tel will even make the bench. 

Only seen brief cameos like everyone else but I'm pretty confident in saying he won't make it. Leonard, on the other hand, is a real prospect. Think he's going to be a very player. Ennis is a good player too but completely out of shape.

• Like 1

I was surprised he made the bench on Saturday as he was never going to come on with 2 other strikers ahead of him.

Suppose him and Atcheson being on bench just highlighted how light we are at the moment, we had 7 players who ever had a chance of coming on, including a sub keeper, and then Ennis who wasn't fancied when we needed a goal and Garrett who again was probably unlikely to ever come on.

We are currently missing Hedges, Hyam, Gallagher and Travis, fair play, important players. But 4 outfield injuries shouldn't leave us this light.

3 hours ago, rovers11 said:

There's no doubt Telalovic was on our Z list of targets. As the deadline got closer, a decision had to be made on whether we sign a Z lister or no striker at all. No striker at all would have been a PR disaster. 

Telalovic is so far off it that I don't think he'll ever get a run of games here. Once Gally is back I don't think Tel will even make the bench. 

Only seen brief cameos like everyone else but I'm pretty confident in saying he won't make it. Leonard, on the other hand, is a real prospect. Think he's going to be a very player. Ennis is a good player too but completely out of shape.

I reckon that now Swansea have ended our 3 game winning streak, playing without a striker will be consigned to the bin and Leonard or Ennis will actually start games. With Gallagher coming back as well, I wonder if we are looking to loan Telalovic out in January? He was signed on a 3 year contract with the option of another 12 months, so assume the club are happy (even if JDT isn't) to give him time to develop but he'll need games for that.

On 29/10/2023 at 15:09, simongarnerisgod said:

no,it was a desperation signing,you should be playing 1st team football at that age,whatever your level

On 29/10/2023 at 15:12, jim mk2 said:

No. Only impecunious clubs that have run out of options

A 23-year old should have 50-100 league games under his belt and a striker would have at least 10 goals. A very good one would 20-30. 

Let's face it: Telelvioc (sp?) was a desperate signing in a desperate window by a desperate management of a desperate club. 

On 29/10/2023 at 15:57, simongarnerisgod said:

In May 2012, Leicester - then in the Championship - signed a striker from Fleetwood with the name Jamie Vardy. The highest level he had played until then was the Conference (which seems to be a similar level to the German Regionalliga that Telalovic played). He was 25 years old.

Now, I'm not saying Telalovic is going to be as good as Vardy, he almost certainly won't be. But the above shows that his previous playing experience at his age is no barrier to him succeeding at this level, if Vardy could jump up a similar distance to this level at a more advanced age, and in fact be good enough to spank the level above this one too. We only need him to turn into a fairly decent Championship striker for the gamble to pay off.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

In May 2012, Leicester - then in the Championship - signed a striker from Fleetwood with the name Jamie Vardy. The highest level he had played until then was the Conference (which seems to be a similar level to the German Regionalliga that Telalovic played). He was 25 years old.

vardy was already acustomed to playing english football,he`d been in the lower leagues getting the rough stuff for years,thats the point i made,we might as well have gone down the league pyramid and pick someone out from there,they would ready to go and start

The budget we had seemingly would have not come close to say buying a top league 1 striker. A Colby Bishop, Dion Charles or Devante Cole, all of whom would have big question marks over whether they could step up (Rhodes is old and couldnt get a game for a terrible Huddersfield and he bangs them in) would have cost probably at least close to a million if not above that. So they are non starters.

So you are then likely looking in League or even in non league, and the idea that anyone there would be "ready to go" for us is simply not true.

Im not defending the Telalovic deal specifically, he looks nowhere near it and is playing for an under 21 team getting battered at Reading when we have a tiny squad with a cup game in 2 days. But when you have such a pathetically low budget, your only hope is to try and be creative, and even then you are trying to find a needle in a haystack with no money.

Vardy was a unique case, and he took a year to settle. He isnt the norm for signing players from non league.

• Like 2

We've had the bedding in period now. We're roughly a quarter of the way through the season... One of Ennis or Telalovic needs to show they are a decent 10+ goal a season striker. If one of them performs and one of them doesn't I think we will take that. But if neither can make a solid impression then Broughton's credibility is going to take a real hammering, which will be a shame as his signings away from CF have broadly looked pretty good.

Personally I think it's a shame Telalovic isn't featuring more off the bench. Confidence is key for a striker and the lack of faith shown in him can't be doing him any good. Monchengladbach were prepared to give him a debut in the Bundesliga, we have seen some really poor games this season and should be giving him more of a chance.

Tomasson called for patience but has clearly made his mind up on him already.

I don't think Dolan would get a sniff of the first team at Gladbach.