BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield Town (h) - 20/01/2024

Does Gallagher want to see us get relegated ?

Such stupid comments who in their right mind would actively try and sell their top scorer to be replaced by a kid who to date misses more then he scores. No wonder we end up in the crap we do if that's the kind of advice floating around in football, beyond stupid.

Also i'd agree on dropping Wharton for a bit just for tactical reasons but they'll not drop him until the window shuts !

Anyway we can turn it around and it can start today just get a result somehow then forget 'player development and the process' for a few weeks and just concentrate on results.

If we don't do that we'll be in the mire.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yep, he was hugely disappointing.  Think he fancied a position on Rovers' coaching staff.  Never taken to the guy - goes back to his playing days, a bit of a sulker in my eyes.

Yes I think you're on to something with the coaching position Mercer, but as a player I loved the guy, always gave everything, I was gutted when he came back after his broken leg and did the same leg again against Palace.

Wretched luck. 

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Obviously can never know with our owners another Cairney can happen.

But if he was left out last weekend due to a transfer it just doesn't make any sense him playing midweek, injuries do happen in friendlies and it doesn't make sense for JDT to tell the media he is available for the game, if he isnt going to play, surely you leave him out of the friendly and you say he hasnt recovered yet 

Not if some scouts with serious interest wanted to watch him to assess his fitness before reporting back to their clubs then they can bid.

Not that i think it's the case here but behind closed doors games have been known for such purposes.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not if some scouts with serious interest wanted to watch him to assess his fitness before reporting back to their clubs then they can bid.

Not that i think it's the case here but behind closed doors games have been known for such purposes.

Players can still get injured in friendly games 

He has played nearly every game this season why would clubs need to check his fitness in a friendly game as the theory I'm discounting is he was fit last weekend but was left out due to a possible transfer

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Coming back from injury maybe but surely not in the case of a short term illness.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Players can still get injured in friendly games 

He has played nearly every game this season why would clubs need to check his fitness in a friendly game as the theory I'm discounting is he was fit last weekend but was left out due to a possible transfer

Players can and do get injured on the training pitch.

Of course a club who was about to commit maybe 10 million quid might be well within their rights to say lets have a look because we need him straight in our team.

Nothing unusual there just because you don't think it would happen doesn't mean it doesn't but like i said probably not the case here, hopefully.

18 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Gotta laugh at the speed of Pears recall in goal.

Well, yes. 

IMHO Leo isnt up to Vauxhall Conference/National League North standard yet.

How about loaning him and Brittain out(ALL salaries paid)the softest full-back ever to wear the blue& white.

I agree with your assessment of Leo, the problem will be that Pears is no better. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

We played out from the back last season and we didn't concede as many goals.

We commit too many players forward this season that's the difference added to having a goalkeeper out of his depth

We are also losing possession in our defending 3rd of the pitch too much this season, it happens every single game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Our defensive issues stem from the way we try to play out from the back and it's adverse effect on overall confidence.

That plus the keeper issues which are incurable with the current players.

The tippy tappy can be cured simply stop trying something you're not very good at.

I personally think defending set pieces is far more of an Achilles Heel and an area which opponents are targeting. Tomasson spoke last week about players winning personal battles and I agree with him. For example if our centre halves are designated markers from set pieces and their direct opponent wins the header then he has not done his job. Far too many or our capitulations have been because their opponent has won their individual battle all over the pitch. Until we get that sorted out we will continue to ship goals.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If true that Rangers pulled out at short notice then I wonder if we played the game partly to give returning players a run out but also for a fee for playing the match? 
We seem that desperate for cash and SW would be unlikely to say no…

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I personally think defending set pieces is far more of an Achilles Heel and an area which opponents are targeting. Tomasson spoke last week about players winning personal battles and I agree with him. For example if our centre halves are designated markers from set pieces and their direct opponent wins the header then he has not done his job. Far too many or our capitulations have been because their opponent has won their individual battle all over the pitch. Until we get that sorted out we will continue to ship goals.

Gallagher winning a near post defensive header really highlighted that. Stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison to what had gone before 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

If true that Rangers pulled out at short notice then I wonder if we played the game partly to give returning players a run out but also for a fee for playing the match? 

Nothing would surprise me.

Difficult one to call today.

Two poor outfits.

First goal particularly crucial today.

Gut feel is Rovers will edge it given home advantage.  Unfortunately, a Rovers' win will only paper over the ever widening cracks and keep the happy clappers even happier.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Those set pieces are often from situations caused by our loss of possession in our final 3rd, I include free kicks, corners and long throw ins.

You are quite correct about the individual battles. This is very obvious with virtually any ball launched into our box where confusion reigns.

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Those set pieces are often from situations caused by our loss of possession in our final 3rd, I include free kicks, corners and long throw ins.

You are quite correct about the individual battles. This is very obvious with virtually any ball launched into our box where confusion reigns.

It's a vicious circle as conceding too many goals has a clear effect on confidence of which many of our players are shorn of right now. There is nothing complicated about basic defending but we are all over the place at the moment. If we can get to half time today having not conceded I will view that as a real positive. A clean sheet at full time and I will be delighted. Doing the elementary things (in and out of possession) right is the key though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Not sure how these things work but surely we paid City for the use of their facilities and when Rangers pulled out we played whoever we could find or lose out (assuming a small amount of money).

Not sure we could charge someone to play against us when the friendly was for our benefit.

Could be wrong though.

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Not sure how these things work but surely we paid City for the use of their facilities and when Rangers pulled out we played whoever we could find or lose out (assuming a small amount of money).

Not sure we could charge someone to play against us when the friendly was for our benefit.

Could be wrong though.

Sorry - thought that City were due to play Rangers from the beginning?