BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Players aside! A top priority this summer should be finding and bringing 2 good new Goalkeeping coaches (one for first team and  one for the youngsters) because or current gk coaching dept is clearly very dire to say the least. 

A lot of the mistakes you see our keepers make are from poor decision making and poor positioning, the 2 things a good gk coach should help improve 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Players aside! A top priority this summer should be finding and bringing 2 good new Goalkeeping coaches (one for first team and  one for the youngsters) because or current gk coaching dept is clearly very dire to say the least. 

A lot of the mistakes you see our keepers make are from poor decision making and poor positioning, the 2 things a good gk coach should help improve 

Kaminski,Raya and Steele all play in the Premier League which would suggest our goalkeeping coaches are perfectly good enough if the raw materials they are working with are as well.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Playing devil's advocate, is that to improve on the GK coach who worked with Spain international David Raya and Belgium international Thomas Kaminski, both of whom are also established in the premier league? 

I've said numerous times I've no idea why he gets so much hate, other than his age and lack of playing experience. Those things don't necessarily make you a bad coach and sometimes it is the player who can be the limiting factor, not the coaching.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, alex l said:

Playing devil's advocate, is that to improve on the GK coach who worked with Spain international David Raya and Belgium international Thomas Kaminski, both of whom are also established in the premier league? 

I've said numerous times I've no idea why he gets so much hate, other than his age and lack of playing experience. Those things don't necessarily make you a bad coach and sometimes it is the player who can be the limiting factor, not the coaching.

Raya always had monumental potential and TK came in as the finished article so the job was certainly made easier with those keepers.

Steele was bang average and went backwards at a rate of knots once John Keeley left so i think coaches can make a difference but an even bigger one imo is made by working alongside a good established number 1 for the number 2 and back up.

As said though without the raw materials and natural ability the best coaches in the world can't make a good keeper and Pears to me has always looked as if he isn't a natural just someone who has to work really hard just to get to grips with the basics.

Leo actually does look like a sharp and agile more natural keeper but isn't suited to this standard of British football yet but with both of these we continue to suffer because of the new 'development' model being put before results and ambition.

Nothing highlights it more than the entire keeper dept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Kaminski,Raya and Steele all play in the Premier League which would suggest our goalkeeping coaches are perfectly good enough if the raw materials they are working with are as well.

Pretty sure the current keeping coaches had nothing to do with Rayas progress through the ranks and as someone else mentioned Kaminski was already pretty much the finished article when he arrived, other than those two there have been no other keepers at the club that have been anything more than average back up keeper quality

• Like 2

I think most people are in agreement with what's needed by and large. Here's my take: 

In Goal: Ideal

Neither keeper is really fit to be a Championship keeper. Pears is poor and might be a league 1 keeper. Wally makes Pears look like Buffon and Kahn rolled into one which is spectacularly impressive in a perverse way given how poor Pears is. Both need shipping out. 

The Reality

Our motto is if it’s broke, don't fix it. Fully expect both keepers to continue on the books costing us with howlers. 

Defence: Ideal

Full backs are weak imo. I really don't rate Britain - very weak defensively and doesn't offer enough going forwards. Pickering I think is an ok, a steady-Eddie, but we could do better. Alarmingly there's little to no cover for either position, especially at LB. A new RB is imperative to me, as is cover for Pickering. I'd ideally like an upgrade, but realistically eve under a fully functioning club that would probably have to wait till summer. 

Centre back is similar. A better class physical defender I think would really boost our defence. Wharton and Hyam are both fair weather players, who if paired with someone stronger I think would perform better. Again in a summer with a lot to do though, with Carter also on the books, this would not be a priority area but a long term aim. 

The Reality:   

We don't believe in filling all positions much less having cover so expect nothing there. Saint Hyam is guaranteed his place even if he throws Pears and the ball into our net (not that Pears needs help on this) whilst mugging a granny. We have a lot of young players whose value could perhaps increase so no one will be brought in to disrupt this. 

Midfield: Ideal

I rather like a JRC, Travis, Trondstadt combo but feel a 4th is needed for when the inevitable injuries and suspensions hit. Someone reliable and steady who could fill out the squad, without necessarily having to be better than the other 3 or eating up too much budget. This would allow Garrett and other midfield prospects to get some much more beneficial time out on loan playing regularly and learning from their mistakes elsewhere.

The Reality:

The club won’t care whether Travis is any good or not – the fact he’s on a relatively big wage means he’ll be shipped out. We’ll make sure the midfield is swamped with ineffective cover from our youth. And if we don’t have enough youth of our own to do this, we’ll loan in some ineffectual ones from elsewhere, again.

Forwards: Ideal

In the ideal world we capitalise on Sami’s fantastic form and sell him for a good fee and reinvest the proceeds. He won’t have another season like this one, and we desperately need funds for a massive squad overhaul so he probably needs to be sacrificed.

Dolan needs to be sold IF he doesn’t sign a new contract. I think he’s a useful player to have in the squad, but we can’t lose more assets for nothing. Gally needs to be sold regardless of whether he’s inclined to sign a new contract, the wages can be better spend. Telovic (sp?) needs shipping out too. ]

I think we were already a forward light so we need to bring in one more than we ship out. Ideally this would be two more, but time and funds are limited. In there would be a winger with some pace, and someone who’s physical and can unsettle defenders up front. Assuming Dolan re-signs that would mean 3 to 4 new attacking players.

The reality:

Sami will be sold. 1% (I’m being optimistic) will be reinvested into the team and hailed as great reinvestment. Dolan and Gally will run down their contracts and join the alumni of Rovers players we should have got a fee for under Venkys. Any other forwards brought in – there might be one because Ennis went off the books – will be either a wildly overpromoted player from our academy or a substandard youth loaned from elsewhere.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I think most people are in agreement with what's needed by and large. Here's my take: 

In Goal: Ideal

Neither keeper is really fit to be a Championship keeper. Pears is poor and might be a league 1 keeper. Wally makes Pears look like Buffon and Kahn rolled into one which is spectacularly impressive in a perverse way given how poor Pears is. Both need shipping out. 

The Reality

Our motto is if it’s broke, don't fix it. Fully expect both keepers to continue on the books costing us with howlers. 

Defence: Ideal

Full backs are weak imo. I really don't rate Britain - very weak defensively and doesn't offer enough going forwards. Pickering I think is an ok, a steady-Eddie, but we could do better. Alarmingly there's little to no cover for either position, especially at LB. A new RB is imperative to me, as is cover for Pickering. I'd ideally like an upgrade, but realistically eve under a fully functioning club that would probably have to wait till summer. 

Centre back is similar. A better class physical defender I think would really boost our defence. Wharton and Hyam are both fair weather players, who if paired with someone stronger I think would perform better. Again in a summer with a lot to do though, with Carter also on the books, this would not be a priority area but a long term aim. 

The Reality:   

We don't believe in filling all positions much less having cover so expect nothing there. Saint Hyam is guaranteed his place even if he throws Pears and the ball into our net (not that Pears needs help on this) whilst mugging a granny. We have a lot of young players whose value could perhaps increase so no one will be brought in to disrupt this. 

Midfield: Ideal

I rather like a JRC, Travis, Trondstadt combo but feel a 4th is needed for when the inevitable injuries and suspensions hit. Someone reliable and steady who could fill out the squad, without necessarily having to be better than the other 3 or eating up too much budget. This would allow Garrett and other midfield prospects to get some much more beneficial time out on loan playing regularly and learning from their mistakes elsewhere.

The Reality:

The club won’t care whether Travis is any good or not – the fact he’s on a relatively big wage means he’ll be shipped out. We’ll make sure the midfield is swamped with ineffective cover from our youth. And if we don’t have enough youth of our own to do this, we’ll loan in some ineffectual ones from elsewhere, again.

Forwards: Ideal

In the ideal world we capitalise on Sami’s fantastic form and sell him for a good fee and reinvest the proceeds. He won’t have another season like this one, and we desperately need funds for a massive squad overhaul so he probably needs to be sacrificed.

Dolan needs to be sold IF he doesn’t sign a new contract. I think he’s a useful player to have in the squad, but we can’t lose more assets for nothing. Gally needs to be sold regardless of whether he’s inclined to sign a new contract, the wages can be better spend. Telovic (sp?) needs shipping out too. ]

I think we were already a forward light so we need to bring in one more than we ship out. Ideally this would be two more, but time and funds are limited. In there would be a winger with some pace, and someone who’s physical and can unsettle defenders up front. Assuming Dolan re-signs that would mean 3 to 4 new attacking players.

The reality:

Sami will be sold. 1% (I’m being optimistic) will be reinvested into the team and hailed as great reinvestment. Dolan and Gally will run down their contracts and join the alumni of Rovers players we should have got a fee for under Venkys. Any other forwards brought in – there might be one because Ennis went off the books – will be either a wildly overpromoted player from our academy or a substandard youth loaned from elsewhere.

agree with all that,in words of a more brusque tone,we be fooked

Recent Income
Phillips - £2m
Kaminski - £2.5m
A. Wharton - £18m

Summer Income
Szmodics - £10m (almost certain to go, price a rough guess)
Raya (sell-on) - £4m

In total, that right there would be just over £36m from selling assets since last summer... THIRTY-SIX-MILLION-POUNDS.

As a result of the above sales (plus others walking for free), our team is absolutely dogshit and currently on the brink of relegation.

If we don't reinvest at the very least 25% of that income into the playing squad, then i'll honestly give up. I won't buy my family season tickets as planned, and won't set foot in Ewood again until they're all gone.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Recent Income
Phillips - £2m
Kaminski - £2.5m
A. Wharton - £18m

Summer Income
Szmodics - £10m (almost certain to go, price a rough guess)
Raya (sell-on) - £4m

In total, that right there would be just over £36m from selling assets since last summer... THIRTY-SIX-MILLION-POUNDS.

As a result of the above sales, our team is absolutely dogshit and currently on the brink of relegation.

If we don't reinvest at the very least 25% of that income into the playing squad, then i'll honestly give up. I won't buy my family season tickets as planned, and won't set foot in Ewood again until they're all gone.

This is a very similar thought of me and my family too. There is absolutely no point in carrying on if we are not going to reinvest at least 25% of sales back into the playing squad. At most clubs the sale of your top assets is a blow, but creates some excitement with the possibilities of who will be coming in and what direction we will go. Selling top assets to pay bills is suicide, we after the names above have gone, we have no assets of value left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cesus said:

This is a very similar thought of me and my family too. There is absolutely no point in carrying on if we are not going to reinvest at least 25% of sales back into the playing squad. At most clubs the sale of your top assets is a blow, but creates some excitement with the possibilities of who will be coming in and what direction we will go. Selling top assets to pay bills is suicide, we after the names above have gone, we have no assets of value left.

Prepare for the doomsday scenario, as we are highly likely in my opinion, to be relying on that to fund running costs. We have already been lied to once about the tax changes, thinly disguised as illegal payments made by the owners, which in turn led to court permission to release funds.

This was then a sure thing come February according to Waggott and again in March, which as we all now know, is now a sue thing in August, but I see it as being far from certain.

The club celebrated the ladies team, getting a top six place last night and presented various prizes for the achievements of both the men and ladies sides. No mention of the abject failure, just a quick one liner from the CEO to say, how wonderful the owners are, despite what some people think.

Next summers failed marquee transfer excuse is being thought up in the corridors in Pune I suspect, as they never fail to sign a cheque and it isn't their fault that people are pressing the wrong buttons in a dark dingy office in down town Blackburn. 

• Like 1

If someone is paying you 300k a year plus perks for a part time gig you'll tend to portray they are wonderful because to you they are.

To most others they are to running this illustrious old club what Eddie Edwards was to Olympic Ski jumping.

• Like 1

The big problem is the timing of the tax case - August. An effective transfer window needs to be underway in July. I can see nothing happening until August, when it will be too late.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cesus said:

We have to sell to keep the Ewood lights on,we have Billionaire absent Owners....its not normal at most Clubs.

Go figure.

No other Championship club has had to sell £25 million worth of players (+ substantial wage reductions) just to keep the lights on

Why have Rovers?

They will try to normalise our situation making reference to annual losses and FFP but it isn't normal. Its unique.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, OJRovers said:

The big problem is the timing of the tax case - August. An effective transfer window needs to be underway in July. I can see nothing happening until August, when it will be too late.

I'm not a tin foil hat type, but all the court timings have been suspicious to me. The whole thing started in a summer window and we had to change all our plans about halfway through it, with the new plan being almost nothing. Then we got the funds released, outside a window, which kept the lights on, probably paid for our minor outlays, and gave us hope these court meetings would be routine in discharging the funds, settling our nerves.

The next one was set for near the end of January, so that we couldn't do much before then due to the uncertainty but then should be able to have a little splurge near the end. Instead it got delayed to March and we sold a player for 18 mill but still spent nothing. The March one wasn't suspicious as such, but did buy time agains major widespread discontent whilst giving the impression it would be sorted soon and the summer could be 'normal'. Then it got delayed again, which seemed really strange, until August. Once more falling in the middle of a window, except this time we won't be able to do anything in advance of it really. But once more it will keep some of the suckers happy with notions that it's gonna be released soon and then we'll do business. I expect another delay or even a rejection (oh but we will appeal don't worry!). Maybe we do get a small approval for it, covering what should have been the January cash injection, whilst having to wait for the newest tranche at yet another TBD (To Be Delayed) court hearing.

It all makes me question whether Venkys really have made an enemy of the government or quite the opposite. The court hearings and their timings all seem perfect for owners who don't want to invest more money but would like to keep a chunk of the plebs from getting restless.

I'm sure there was a comment from Waggott or the club recently claiming that all of this won't affect Rovers anymore, but that it's affecting their whole business. Which is not only an immediate contradiction, but as far as we've heard over here, the entire thing happened because of us (or at least the iffy accounting they used after buying a house over here saying it was a Rovers business expense essentially), and wholly revolves around sending investment/supporting funds abroad. Which we require, and some of their businesses may, but a lot of their business won't. 

Do you think we could close this topic now? We all know it’s going to be a shit show of a window.

Yes, players sold, but very little and cheap coming in.

Edited by Moptop1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`ll come the time when we have no one of any value left to sell,thats when the **** will hit the fan,completely illogical and frankly mad way run a football club

I think we’re close to that point already.

Who, other than Sammie, would we be confident of selling for decent money?

23 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I think we’re close to that point already.

Who, other than Sammie, would we be confident of selling for decent money?

i can only think of carter and maybe tronstadt,the rest of em worth 5 pints of thwaites and a dish of special fried rice

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

My first choice to sign as new number 1 keeper would be Viktor Johansson at Rotherham. Has a clause in his contract of £1m this summer and for me it is no brainer not to go and sign the player. 

Viktor Johansson 2023 ● Rotherham ► Best 22/23 EFL Championship Goalkeeper (youtube.com)

Presumably that will be a no brainer for a number of other clubs as well ? Rumours on the Rotherham fans website of him going to Everton as the back up to Pickford.