BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Because JRC has played his best football for us as a right back, Buckley has never quite managed to do what he teased he might and Garrett is not good enough. 

JRC just played the 'EFL Young Player of the Year' off the park in CM.

Why would you move him back to RB? Brittain is a better option there anyway (JRC struggles to get up and down - much like Pickering - and you have to cover for him). 

CM is the least of our worries. We need pace and physicality upfront, a proper GK and ideally a left footed Brittain to play LB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

JRC just played the 'EFL Young Player of the Year' off the park in CM.

Why would you move him back to RB? Brittain is a better option there anyway (JRC struggles to get up and down - much like Pickering - and you have to cover for him). 

CM is the least of our worries. We need pace and physicality upfront, a proper GK and ideally a left footed Brittain to play LB. 

Im not sure that Brittain is the prototype for the sort of full back we need. Pickering is more reliable than Brittain IMO, but we only have one senior full back on each side contracted into next season so we need one of each. JRC is much better than Brittain at full back but I am not against having him as a midfielder more often, the issue is he cant be one of 2 full backs AND a midfielder so we need to choose where we intend to use him, midfield seems a good shout. Shame he isn't more robust and we don't have more than 1. 

Cant argue with your analysis of what we need. Id say 1 or 2 strikers dependant on Gallagher, 2 pacy wingers, another attacking midfielder, (if Szmodics stays, if not 2) 2 full backs and a new keeper are needed, we are miles short. A centre back and another midfielder lesser priorities. Obviously we wont get near that and itll all be with buttons.

• Like 1

The window opens in 7/8 weeks, they need to get their ducks in a row, agree a budget and start narrowing down the list of targets.

If we're allowed to spend, i'd be over the moon with something like the following;

Duncan McGuire - Free
Louie Sibley - Free
Liam Millar - 2.5m
Harrison Burrows - 4m    
Karamoko Dembele - 800k
Abu Kamara - 2.5m

That'd be just shy of 10m spent, incredibly optimistic and unlikely I know, but could become more of a possibility if/when we sell Szmodics.

Either way, I hope Gregg is able to spend a good few quid with all of the millions we've had (and have) coming in.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

The window opens in 7/8 weeks, they need to get their ducks in a row, agree a budget and start narrowing down the list of targets.

If we're allowed to spend, i'd be over the moon with something like the following;

Duncan McGuire - Free
Louie Sibley - Free
Liam Millar - 2.5m
Harrison Burrows - 4m    
Karamoko Dembele - 800k
Abu Kamara - 2.5m

That'd be just shy of 10m spent, incredibly optimistic and unlikely I know, but could become more of a possibility if/when we sell Szmodics.

Either way, I hope Gregg is able to spend a good few quid with all of the millions we've had (and have) coming in.

Why would we be getting McGuire on a free?He will cost a transfer fee 

Not sure if Sibley out of contract at end of season but he wouldn't be free either as he is only 22

Edited by islander200

Even if there is something to spend thy won't pay the wages to lure anyone worthy.

It'll be big earners out and half their wages reinvested as usual, plus prem loan kids and the odd 500k signing.

That's the present model at Ewood i'm afraid.

23 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Why would we be getting McGuire on a free?He will cost a transfer fee 

Not sure if Sibley out of contract at end of season but he wouldn't be free either as he is only 22

Ahh yeah, realised McGuire's contract runs until December, I thought it was due to expire in June - my mistake!

Sibley's contract expires in June yes.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure that Brittain is the prototype for the sort of full back we need. Pickering is more reliable than Brittain IMO, but we only have one senior full back on each side contracted into next season so we need one of each. JRC is much better than Brittain at full back but I am not against having him as a midfielder more often, the issue is he cant be one of 2 full backs AND a midfielder so we need to choose where we intend to use him, midfield seems a good shout. Shame he isn't more robust and we don't have more than 1. 

Cant argue with your analysis of what we need. Id say 1 or 2 strikers dependant on Gallagher, 2 pacy wingers, another attacking midfielder, (if Szmodics stays, if not 2) 2 full backs and a new keeper are needed, we are miles short. A centre back and another midfielder lesser priorities. Obviously we wont get near that and itll all be with buttons.

Pickering gets done for pace and targeted every week.

If he was quicker he'd be a fantastic Championship footballer. As it is he's average and gets rinsed some weeks.

• Like 3

The reality is the players around Szmodics aren't good enough. We need a new attack in the summer otherwise we won't get the goals next season - if we are still in the Championship. Gallagher has to be moved on either way, enough is enough there. We also need some midfielders that can strike a ball. Travis isn't the answer. Money will need to be spent this time.

2 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Seen us linked with Ruddy from Birmingham- was he not absolutely dreadful when we played them at Ewood? .. Surely we can do better than that!

Nixon linked us, telegraph said yesterday nothing in it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Duncan McGuire - Free
Louie Sibley - Free
Liam Millar - 2.5m
Harrison Burrows - 4m    
Karamoko Dembele - 800k
Abu Kamara - 2.5m

McGuire - minimum 2.5M

Sibley - is U22 so will have a fee

Millar - minimum 4M given successes at PNE

Burrows - likely going up with Peterborough - captain? 

Dembele - like the idea, not sure 800K does it though

Kamara - suspect first team at Norwich who have more money than us.

I reckon your list, if at all possible, would be closer to 20M. Can't see us spending anything like that.

• Like 1

Priority List - 

Keeper: Pears & Leo both shown they're incapable at different periods. Leo will likely stay and develop as No2, can't see Pears ego letting him stay as No2. Sell Pears, buy a No1.

RB: We only have one right back. Brittain needs competition. 

CB: Don't want either Koumetio or McFadz and we need five CBs in the squad. Carter, Hyam, NEW, Wharton, ORoirdon. 

LB: Pickering is our only left back. If possible I'd sign Christene, I think he's significantly better than Pickering.

CM: Existing viable options are Tronstad, JRC, Buckley. Will Travis come back? Based on what we've seen it'll either be Tronstad or Travis, will Travis accept that? Will Buckley ever come good? I don't want: Fleck, Garrett or Ayari. That means I need at least one creative CM with another needed if Travis doesn't want to stay.

Wide Players: Unlike others, I've been really impressed with Sigurdsson. He didn't have a pre-season and clearly signed for JDT who was subsequently forced out. I like Dolan, he can be frustrating but he's capable. Hedges is a very good player to keep within the squad. I make that three players and ideally want four. Hopefully Markanday is sold, he's shown glimpses but in the most part has been terrible. 

Strikers: Szmodics is obviously vital to our club. Gallagher should be sold in the summer - he has his positives but his contract is running out, he clearly wanted the Ipswich move and he's never achieved stats to back up what we paid for him initially nor his high contract. Telalovic and Vale need to be sold, frankly I'd be fine seeing both released on a free. 

I therefore think across signings, loans and promotions we need to fill the below, colour coded as 'green = must be experienced and permanent, yellow = could be a short term loan with a buy option, red = could be a young player either purchased or promoted'.

No1 Keeper

A CB that is fighting to be our third behind Carter and Hyam

A right back that can push Brittain

A left back that is better than Pickering

A creative CM that is tall, strong and can create chances. 

A tackling CM in the mould of Tronstad if Travis leaves

At least one wide forward who's at least as good as what we already have

A first choice no9 striker to replace Gallagher

A back up striker that is actually viable to replace Telalovic and Vale. 

That's 5 expensive, first choice purchases or free transfers.

3 top-flight loan players

1 cheap player - either a free transfer or internal promotion. 

Leaving the squad as:

New Keeper, Wahlsted, 3rd Choice Keeper

Brittain, New

Carter, Hyam, New, Wharton, ORoirdon

New, Pickering

JRC, Tronstad, Buckley, Travis, New

Sigurdsson, Dolan, Hedges, New

Szmodics, New, New

I make that 23 players, so we're allowed another two plus youth I believe? Youth can be: Leonard, Batty, Gent, Barnes, Gilsnan, Fyles, Eastham, Gamble, Finneran.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

Priority List - 

Keeper: Pears & Leo both shown they're incapable at different periods. Leo will likely stay and develop as No2, can't see Pears ego letting him stay as No2. Sell Pears, buy a No1.

CB: Don't want either Koumetio or McFadz and we need five CBs in the squad. Carter, Hyam, NEW, Wharton, ORoirdon. 

LB: Pickering is our only left back. If possible I'd sign Christene, I think he's significantly better than Pickering.

CM: Existing viable options are Tronstad, JRC, Buckley. Will Travis come back? Based on what we've seen it'll either be Tronstad or Travis, will Travis accept that? Will Buckley ever come good? I don't want: Fleck, Garrett or Ayari. That means I need at least one creative CM with another needed if Travis doesn't want to stay.

Wide Players: Unlike others, I've been really impressed with Sigurdsson. He didn't have a pre-season and clearly signed for JDT who was subsequently forced out. I like Dolan, he can be frustrating but he's capable. Hedges is a very good player to keep within the squad. I make that three players and ideally want four. Hopefully Markanday is sold, he's shown glimpses but in the most part has been terrible. 

Strikers: Szmodics is obviously vital to our club. Gallagher should be sold in the summer - he has his positives but his contract is running out, he clearly wanted the Ipswich move and he's never achieved stats to back up what we paid for him initially nor his high contract. Telalovic and Vale need to be sold, frankly I'd be fine seeing both released on a free. 

I therefore think across signings, loans and promotions we need to fill the below, colour coded as 'green = must be experienced and permanent, yellow = could be a short term loan with a buy option, red = could be a young player either purchased or promoted'.

No1 Keeper

Leaving the squad as:

Brittain, New

New, Pickering

Szmodics, New, New

I make that 23 players, so we're allowed another two plus youth I believe? Youth can be: Leonard, Batty, Gent, Barnes, Gilsnan, Fyles, Eastham, Gamble, Finneran.

Agree on most of that.

Out of interest, who would be your ideal (and realistic) picks for some of the signings you mentioned?

• Like 1

The squad needs that much investment it's nuts. We're weak in every position.  I can't see Venkys spending a penny in the summer. Rhodes, Best, Breo, Gally, Dack, Szmodic, Hyam, Brittain, Wahlsted are the only significant cash buys I can think of since they've been here...  How many years is that across?

They need to get out of the club.

20 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Agree on most of that.

Out of interest, who would be your ideal (and realistic) picks for some of the signings you mentioned?

It's not my job - thankfully - because its unenviable for whoever has to do it. 

Bargain basements/preying on teams below us.  Issue with this goes without saying, buy league one players end up playing league one football.  

Keeper

Can see us making no change here, or changing to pears and a loanee punt.  Buying outright is hard, and I don't think any keeper in this league is that good. Tickle at Wigan or Ripley at Vale (son of a decent footballer I've heard).  

Fullbacks 

Jordi Jones at notts county 

Liam Bennett at Cambridge

Sorenson at Lincoln 

Both offer a bit of variation to what we have on each side 

Centre back 

Santos from Bolton

Out of a deal, can knock on the door.  Otherwise stuck, think the search is for height and strength.

Central midfield 

Is McCann an option from PNE? Chalobah end of his deal at WBA, Sibley the same at Derby although under 23 as mentioned.  Saville at Millwall? Reece cole at Exeter, Baron at Aberdeen, Wiredu at Fleetwood

Wingers 

Demebele from Blackpool, Azeez at reading? 

Strikers

John McAtee or Joe Taylor from Luton

Sam Smith (not that one) or Mark Harris 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Priority List - 

I tried to think of how I'd look at our priorities in the summer, but I'm struggling because so much of it depends on if/how we decide we want to play.

We talk a lot on here about whether player X, Y or Z is good enough, but I think a bigger problem we have is that we have a squad that clearly haven't been assembled to fit a certain way of playing. Letting Travis go on loan was a shocking decision, but then there's no point keeping him if we want our midfielders to play like Wharton. Similarly, there's no point in keeping Gallagher if we're not going to play to his strengths (which then wouldn't really suit Dolan and Markanday, etc.). I don't especially care how we play, just so long as we start recruiting in a way which is a bit less scattergun and more strategic. 

Having said all that, I think you're completely right about needing a new keeper, and we're at least one full back short. I don't hate our midfield options if we're  going to be playing a more Travis-friendly game. We need another centre back if we're playing 3 there, but Hyam Wharton and Carter are all decent options in a standard set-up and I wouldn't be spending our limited resources on an upgrade. The big question marks are in attack. We definitely need more quality there to either help or replace Szmodics, but who we go for (and who we let go) for me is a function of how we want to play.

Must say that you rate Siggy more highly than I do. He has ability, but he lets far too many games pass him by. Beyond his fairly average goal return, I don't think he's contributed anything really. 

• Like 1

Demebele from Blackpool is probably the best most realistic target - bar his height he’s everything a winger should be, direct and quick…With his success in league 1 I’m sure his parent club will want him tested in the championship…Loan with an option would be a great deal! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J*B said:

Priority List - 

No1 Keeper

Leaving the squad as:

Brittain, New

New, Pickering

Szmodics, New, New

I get to an extent why people might adopt the attitude on Sigurdsson that he might be better in his second season having adapted and having been unlucky with injuries etc. But you've been "really impressed" with him? What about him? Slow, soft, cant beat a man, ducks out of challenges and after an initial flurry stopped being a goal threat.

I think Pickering is our most underrated player, nothing special but more dependable than Brittain. Chrisene has provided reasonable cover but no way is he better. We do need cover for both but I suspect lack of money will be excused with rubbish about not blocking pathways and versatility to cover not signing a couple of players.

We cant just release Vale and Telalovic, hopefully someone will come in for both for a nominal fee.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

The squad needs that much investment it's nuts. We're weak in every position.  I can't see Venkys spending a penny in the summer. Rhodes, Best, Breo, Gally, Dack, Szmodic, Hyam, Brittain, Wahlsted are the only significant cash buys I can think of since they've been here...  How many years is that across?

They need to get out of the club.

Rochina, Formica, josh king, Ben Marshall, Duffy, Armstrong...depends how you define significant. Pickering? Kaminski?

Also worth remembering some of those early frees will have been on high wages and probably high(ISH) agent fees - Etuhu, Murphy, Nuno Gomes

• Backroom
8 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Ahh yeah, realised McGuire's contract runs until December, I thought it was due to expire in June - my mistake!

Sibley's contract expires in June yes.

Could do a pre-contract with him in June, no?

6 hours ago, J*B said:

Priority List - 

No1 Keeper

Leaving the squad as:

Brittain, New

New, Pickering

Szmodics, New, New

We need some wingers, we can't have Dolan and Sigurdsson in the wide positions again next year. 

In the highly likely event Venkys sell Szmodics in the summer, Sigurdsson & Dolan can fight it out for the central role behind the striker but we need wingers. Preferably with some pace.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We need some wingers, we can't have Dolan and Sigurdsson in the wide positions again next year. 

In the highly likely event Venkys sell Szmodics in the summer, Sigurdsson & Dolan can fight it out for the central role behind the striker but we need wingers. Preferably with some pace.

If Szmodics does leave, I actually think Markanday will be ahead of Dolan for the central role, with Sigurdsson being first choice.

• Like 1