BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

32 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

Don't disagree with you at all Chaddy.

What would you do with Pears and Wahlstedt this summer if you had the chance? As we'd need to free up a space for a new number 1.

I think Mowbray will come in for Pears to replace Ruddy. 

I wouldn't surprised if Ruddy ended up here. I wouldn't Iversen or Johansson here as first 

34 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sell Pears to another Championship team - if not, League 1. Try to sell Wahlstedt to a European side, but of the two he's the one I'd rather keep.

If you sell both, get a good Championship GK in and an older, cheaper, but reliable backup. If you sell one just get the good Championship GK in. 

Pears would struggle in league 2.

• Like 1

Mowbray might not even be well enough to continue as Birmingham manager but it seems like just assuming 2 managers will go for their former players (fuelled by Nixon nonsense) to say Ruddy comes here and Pears goes there.

Ruddy might not be as bad as Pears but hes well past his best.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Eustace has gone more pragmatic approach if you seen the games. No coach will be exactly the same tactical. Just like Slot won't be exactly like Klopp at Liverpool 

What I meant is maybe more pacey player instead of a more technical player

The guy hasn't even tried to win a game yet. How the fuck is that pragmatic. I'd say that's total shit actually.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sell Pears to another Championship team - if not, League 1. Try to sell Wahlstedt to a European side, but of the two he's the one I'd rather keep.

If you sell both, get a good Championship GK in and an older, cheaper, but reliable backup. If you sell one just get the good Championship GK in. 

Sell Leo to a championship club I say. At least we know there will be at least one club below us in the table!

On the whole keeper thing;

First things first, we need to bring a solid Championship #1 in - someone like Johansson or Iversen would be ideal. Failing that, an older experienced head would be fine (maybe not Ruddy though).

Then i'd sell Pears - he might bring in a modest fee and his wages are probably the higher of the 2 we have.

I wouldn't give up on Leo so soon, I feel it's something we'd live to regret - he does have potential. Bare in mind that he's young, has had to move country and joined the Club during a tough season, in which most of the players in front of him have also been shite. Keep him, let him learn under the new #1 we bring.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 4

• Backroom

I'm curious to know what people have seen from Leo when playing for us that suggests he has significant potential. I assume that judgement isn't just based on a single Swedish cap in a friendly against Finland. I believe he's a year and a few months younger than Pears, which isn't a significant difference, and Pears has generally performed better despite both being poor. 

24 might be younger for a keeper than an outfield player, but by comparison Raya was playing in the PL for Brentford by that age. So I don't know. I haven't seen anything that suggests potential from his performances for us, in fact there are some fundamentals he still seems to be lacking. Just seems to be a case, much like when Gallagher misses time due to injury, where people start to forget how poor a player is because he isn't there every week to remind them.

We likely won't have the budget for any replacement keeper, but in my view we need two unless one of our youngsters can step up.

• Like 2

I really wanted to like Leo but initially I thought he was a flapper but a decent shot stopper but then there was a game the ball went in like middle of the goal as if it just went right through him.

if he can’t catch a ball and is dodgy on crosses, unless he really works and improves on that he won’t make it in this league.

id go back to bromby in the summer and say you can have him now for 250k-500k and cut our losses , we don’t have time for a dodgy keeper.

pears is a number 2 and that’s where he should remain.

a decent experienced champ keeper brought in to take over as our number 1

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

We're 5th worst on the number of expected goals prevented. Pears is -0.1 per 90, Leo is -0.16 per 90

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepersadv/Championship-Stats

After Szmodics blazed his chance over the bar on Saturday against Coventry, our XG went to 0.46 

Does that more often than not you would expect Sammy NOT to score that chance? 

XG just a bit nonsensical to me. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Just now, Hasta said:

After Szmodics blazed his chance over the bar on Saturday against Coventry, our XG went to 0.46 

Sammy is one of those strikers that you want to be given a bit of time to think about what he is wanting to do with it, when it comes and him quick and he just reacts he isn’t too good. 
opposite to a lot of strikers that can’t score when they have time as it gets in their head too much but are decent instinct strikers. Probably like an Armstrong 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

XG just a bit nonsensical to me. 

xG doesn't take into account who takes the shot. It's why players over and under perform their xG. 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I'm curious to know what people have seen from Leo when playing for us that suggests he has significant potential. I assume that judgement isn't just based on a single Swedish cap in a friendly against Finland. I believe he's a year and a few months younger than Pears, which isn't a significant difference, and Pears has generally performed better despite both being poor. 

24 might be younger for a keeper than an outfield player, but by comparison Raya was playing in the PL for Brentford by that age. So I don't know. I haven't seen anything that suggests potential from his performances for us, in fact there are some fundamentals he still seems to be lacking. Just seems to be a case, much like when Gallagher misses time due to injury, where people start to forget how poor a player is because he isn't there every week to remind them.

We likely won't have the budget for any replacement keeper, but in my view we need two unless one of our youngsters can step up.

He's a better shot stopper and better positionally than Pears. 

Pears is slightly better at crosses - but he's still a puncher, rather than a catcher - and better with his feet. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

xG doesn't take into account who takes the shot. It's why players over and under perform their xG. 

Regardless of who is in that position, I'd expect the XG to be higher than 0.5. Just my opinion.

I'd think a professional footballer would put that away more than 1 in 2. I mean, I'm looking at that situation and thinking I would put that away more than 50% of the time !!

I just think it's all perceptive between what someone thinks a chance should be rated against other chances. A similar chance might happen in a game 2 weeks later and will it still be rated as 0.46 ? Or does someone else rate it differently? And then it's used as a comparison against other players and against other games. It's all very subjective. 

I've no real issue with XG. It gives an indication of how a game is going or who had the better chances. But when we are comparing that Pears is -0.1 and Leo is -0.16, that's so close it (and most other keepers are around there) I dont think it tells us much .

Edited by Hasta

5 hours ago, Hasta said:

Regardless of who is in that position, I'd expect the XG to be higher than 0.5. Just my opinion.

I'd think a professional footballer would put that away more than 1 in 2. I mean, I'm looking at that situation and thinking I would put that away more than 50% of the time !!

I just think it's all perceptive between what someone thinks a chance should be rated against other chances. A similar chance might happen in a game 2 weeks later and will it still be rated as 0.46 ? Or does someone else rate it differently? And then it's used as a comparison against other players and against other games. It's all very subjective. 

I've no real issue with XG. It gives an indication of how a game is going or who had the better chances. But when we are comparing that Pears is -0.1 and Leo is -0.16, that's so close it (and most other keepers are around there) I dont think it tells us much .

As far as I know, (some xG models are different to others) base xG is only determined from the position of the shot and whether the shot is with the foot or a header. So yeah you expect anyone to put that exact chance away i.e open net, nobody blocking the shot. But the 0.46 number comes from the average of all shots taken from that position which includes shots with loads of defenders in the way and all that. 

xG is better viewed as a season long thing, where players will get a variety of chances which balances out this issue. Players will get some high xG chances that are actually harder to score than lower xG chances, depending on the circumstances of the individual shot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erased Citizen said:

As far as I know, (some xG models are different to others) base xG is only determined from the position of the shot and whether the shot is with the foot or a header. So yeah you expect anyone to put that exact chance away i.e open net, nobody blocking the shot. But the 0.46 number comes from the average of all shots taken from that position which includes shots with loads of defenders in the way and all that. 

xG is better viewed as a season long thing, where players will get a variety of chances which balances out this issue. Players will get some high xG chances that are actually harder to score than lower xG chances, depending on the circumstances of the individual shot. 

A pro footballer should score that chance.

Let's be honest, no one is paying any fees for Pears or Leo. They have destroyed any sort of value with the bad mistakes this season. Best we can do is just let them leave for free and get the wages off the wage bill.

10 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Let's be honest, no one is paying any fees for Pears or Leo. They have destroyed any sort of value with the bad mistakes this season. Best we can do is just let them leave for free and get the wages off the wage bill.

Why would they be willing to rip up their contract and give up years worth of wages?

13 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I said at the time Pears value will never be as high again as it was last summer. Should have sold him and Kaminski whilst we had the chance. Nobody is paying money for Pears this summer, too many clangers. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

I said at the time Pears value will never be as high again as it was last summer. Should have sold him and Kaminski whilst we had the chance. Nobody is paying money for Pears this summer, too many clangers. 

So true. He had looked sellable after the tail end of last season. That was our opportunity 

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's a better shot stopper and better positionally than Pears. 

Pears is slightly better at crosses - but he's still a puncher, rather than a catcher - and better with his feet. 

puncher v flapper! Great.

6 hours ago, Polky said:

There's a lad (under 16) at one of the local private schools who has been ignored (rightly because he's shite) by all the local clubs coming on trial this week.

Word is that he will get a year minimum at the academy as he is a friend of the family.