BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hearing that the Wee Gem is getting the Lambert treatment. Apparently he had five players lined up last week ( no idea who) but the Venksters' haven't returned any of his calls yet.

It's ok though, they are fit and proper owners.

The test says so.

This p***es me off so much, how can this be deemed acceptable?

They clearly aren't going to put any money in. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of revenge for the #venkysout messages.

We all know they have this feeling that they are better than us. I bet she's now sat there saying how dare they speak to us like that! We'll teach them a lesson.

They clearly aren't going to put any money in. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of revenge for the #venkysout messages.

We all know they have this feeling that they are better than us. I bet she's now sat there saying how dare they speak to us like that! We'll teach them a lesson.

Doesn't really fit with their sense of pride about being seen as failures amongst their peers.

Maybe we can goad them into selling

I'm hearing that the Wee Gem is getting the Lambert treatment. Apparently he had five players lined up last week ( no idea who) but the Venksters' haven't returned any of his calls yet.

But he signed up , is taking the money and continues to maintain the illusion/con.

I don't buy Coyle, as any kind of victim......just saying!

The funding wherever it was coming from seemed to be turned off last summer. When a player gets sold from under everyone's nose including his own it's usually because some cash is immediately needed.

Add in it was just after Cheston had returned from India and everything that's followed since, this has been coming for a while.

They were always going to have a limit with their lenders. There's never been any intention to use their own funds to bankroll the club. When they bought the club in the Premier League it was all about sustainability and basically continuing the Walker Trust model of spending at most up to £5 million a year on the club whilst periodically cashing in on an asset to recoup those losses.

Once out of the Premier League they were no doubt naïve enough to think that promotion could be bought merely by signing off some big losses, and that after 3-4 years at most they would be back among the elite to get their money back.

When the penny finally dropped that it wasn't going to happen, rather than do what most others would do and conduct a thorough review of the operation and improve in key areas such as management and the boardroom to strengthen the operation and ensure a better return on their 'investment' they now appear to have written it off as a bad job.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they had never heard of parachute money and had no idea that it only lasted for 4 years before another £8 million shortfall appeared every year. The news that they would have to unearth another £8 million per year going forward, along with their lenders at the BOI getting restless and unwilling to lend any more without security or Venkys coughing up themselves, has probably resulted in the severe belt-tightening we've seen in the last 12 months or so.

The trouble is that they probably don't realise that doing too much cutting and cashing in too quickly will see the club drop down to League One, and will only realise this when its too late.

Its heartbreaking to think how many millions have been squandered on the likes of Kean, Best, Etuhu, Goodwillie, Berg, Appleton, Murphy, Singh and the Portuguese and then to see us now. That money wasted would have been more than enough for a Lambert or Warnock to get this club challenging for promotion, instead its gone into a void and we're now suffering because of it.

Apparently he's decided that Hendrie isn't good enough. Also, this......

"There's no doubt as a squad we want to improve and if that means we have to wheel and deal a bit here and there that could be the answer.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14698681._Numerous_conversations_with_clubs_are_taking_place____Rovers_boss_wants_new_signings_in_for_weekend/?ref=mac

Apparently he's decided that Hendrie isn't good enough. Also, this......

"There's no doubt as a squad we want to improve and if that means we have to wheel and deal a bit here and there that could be the answer.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14698681._Numerous_conversations_with_clubs_are_taking_place____Rovers_boss_wants_new_signings_in_for_weekend/?ref=mac

So basically reading that he's not comfortable with the squad he's got, he wants to add in every position, but knows he probably won't be able to. 'Wheel and deal a bit here and there' is code speak for needing to sell an asset before the owners allow anyone to come in the other way. Its a one out one in policy they're now running.

They were always going to have a limit with their lenders. There's never been any intention to use their own funds to bankroll the club. When they bought the club in the Premier League it was all about sustainability and basically continuing the Walker Trust model of spending at most up to £5 million a year on the club whilst periodically cashing in on an asset to recoup those losses.

Once out of the Premier League they were no doubt naïve enough to think that promotion could be bought merely by signing off some big losses, and that after 3-4 years at most they would be back among the elite to get their money back.

When the penny finally dropped that it wasn't going to happen, rather than do what most others would do and conduct a thorough review of the operation and improve in key areas such as management and the boardroom to strengthen the operation and ensure a better return on their 'investment' they now appear to have written it off as a bad job.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they had never heard of parachute money and had no idea that it only lasted for 4 years before another £8 million shortfall appeared every year. The news that they would have to unearth another £8 million per year going forward, along with their lenders at the BOI getting restless and unwilling to lend any more without security or Venkys coughing up themselves, has probably resulted in the severe belt-tightening we've seen in the last 12 months or so.

The trouble is that they probably don't realise that doing too much cutting and cashing in too quickly will see the club drop down to League One, and will only realise this when its too late.

Its heartbreaking to think how many millions have been squandered on the likes of Kean, Best, Etuhu, Goodwillie, Berg, Appleton, Murphy, Singh and the Portuguese and then to see us now. That money wasted would have been more than enough for a Lambert or Warnock to get this club challenging for promotion, instead its gone into a void and we're now suffering because of it.

I keep going both ways on the "naive Venkys" thing. As a child, if you went near a fire and got burned you might accidentally be caught out again. But you'd start to associate things which feel hot as dangerous so you wouldn't stick your head in an electric oven just because you couldn't see a flame.

It beggars belief that they could be so dense as to not realise that another relegation would be even worse. So I've come to the conclusion based on the figures around us - net transfer fees, PL total income and debt that they are no longer spending because the income is no longer thereand IMHO they have no intention of putting their own money in.

Bringing it back to transfers, I'll be astonished (and suspicious) if we bring in any further players (and pay a fee). We already have Duffy's and Marshall's wages in the current budget so any fee from their sale should not be justified by paying for incoming loanee or freebie wages but this is the line I'm expecting.

So basically reading that he's not comfortable with the squad he's got, he wants to add in every position, but knows he probably won't be able to. 'Wheel and deal a bit here and there' is code speak for needing to sell an asset before the owners allow anyone to come in the other way. Its a one out one in policy they're now running.

Pretty much, yes. Wouldn't be surprised to see us spend maybe a million here or there, but there's no chance of us seeing substantial improvement of what's already here.

Can't stand Murphy. He was awful when here and he comes across as an arrogant prat when on Match of the Day

Oh yeah, and I swear during the Euros he was pished on air whenever I saw him. Either that or he naturally slurs his speech and chats utter drivel.

Alan Judge off to Newcastle. King and Judge - two massive balls' ups by Gaz.

Judge is another player, whenever he got a chance, seemed to never take it. Or maybe its just me, but that seems to be the trend. Garner was another one wasnt it, and the likes of O Sullivan, O Connell etc. Whether they were just not given a consistent run im not sure, but it just felt that way. Phil Jones, Olsson seemed to take theirs, Hanley as well, and maybe now Lennihan and Wharton. But its a pity, because the Academy has everything going for it, but for some strange reason we cannot see them step up. The only thing i can think of, is that we have either had a good squad or we are having the last 6 years issues, which has prevented the development of the younger players.

If this was a healthy environment, and we had a proper board structure, proper owners, then i would have had no issues seeing the likes of the youngsters in the team amongst quality players. But when we have dross like we have now, and then forced into playing the kids under immense pressure, then it just doesnt do them justice

Archived